The Limelight (16th and Harney)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SBNathan
New to the Neighborhood

The Limelight (16th and Harney)

Post by SBNathan »

THE DISTRICT (Lerner Building - 16th and Harney)

from what i understand, the building has approximately 9,000 square feet of retail / commercial space available for development on the 1st floor.

anybody have specific ideas or recommendations on what kind of tenant they'd like to see there?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

This is old news :roll: . We have a thread dedicated to this. I don't know where it's at and am too lazy to look it up right now. Jeff or Omaha Cowboy would more than happy to redirect you. :wink:

Thanks for posting though...I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, man. Keep on posting I hope that thread can help you out. :D
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Why are we going to this new one thread for each project |expletive|. I find it extremely annoying to have to go to page 14 of a thread to see if there is any new news. I understand if a new announcement is made you want to keep the initial discussion in one thread but if someone wants to start a new discussion let them! It is not like this board is being overwhelmed with new threads.
SBNathan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SBNathan »

i should have been more descriptive in my original post. let me clarify some things. i am working with the developer (Heritage) on this project. we are currently evaluating possible retail tenants.

that being said - what specific tenants would the readers of this message board like to see in that building?

thank you.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I would love to have a Panera Bread.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

Jimmy Johns
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I sure wish someone was working harder to get national retailers for downtown (i.e. The Gap). Keep the Old Market with non-national retailers but start a retail corridor on 16th.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

urban outfitters! ugh...if only...
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

I'll second a urban outfitters and add Doozy's. Best subs ever.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

A Birkenstocks store would be really cool at that location.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

also, probably not in this location, but somewhere near the old market, i think there should be a hookah lounge, it would probably get really good business. I have been to one in a different city and they are fun places to socialize.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thats a really good idea, stylee.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

urban outfitters
trader joe's (grocery store)

ikea.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

A grocery store........WITH TWO FLOORS OF CONDOS ABOVE!!!!!! :)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Café
15-17, 26, 32
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I would love to see a Razzoo's go in there... one of the best restaurants around... if only we were in Ft Worth.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

In the future, if anyone has a complaint, 'annoyance', or idea regarding this forum..

I would appreciate you PM'ing both Jeff (jhuston) and I..As opposed to submitting a post in a discussion thread..

Thanks!..

Now back to topic as this thread stays open for business :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I certainly would LOVE to see more national retailers open up downtown, i.e. Gap, Urban Outfitters, J. Crew, etc. If it were a destination retailer people would drive from other areas to shop there, not to mention people who already live downtown. It's one of those situations where someone just needs to get some balls and "take the leap."

And, of course I would love to see a Jimmy Johns downtown that could serve downtown/Old Market and Creighton. I heard from someone who knows the guy that openened the Jimmy Johns at 72nd and Dodge, that he plans on opening EIGHT more JJ's in the Omaha metro. I think he realized how underserved Omaha was, and how RIDICULOUS it was that we didn't have any.

Anyway, as far as the entrance of national chains into our downtown market, I think 16th Street and it's "intersectors" would be the best choice. However, as downtown fills in, and the "border" between the Old Market and Downtown becomes less apparent, I think stores like Gap, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Urban Outfitters, etc. would be very successful, and appropriate on the "perifery" of the Old Market.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And, Mike, speaking of hookahs, I definitely agree that Omaha needs a few nice hookah lounges. I don't know if you know this, but Ahmed's in the Old Market has hookas, and you can buy them and their accessories/supplies at the Tobacconist, also in the Old Market. I'm sure other places sell them, too. I actually just had a party last night and we broke out my hookah. The tobacco was Arabic Coffee flavored. Mmmmmmm.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Virgin Mega Store
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

^^^Have you been to the one is san fransisco? That place is insane.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Linkin5 wrote:^^^Have you been to the one is san fransisco? That place is insane.
Actually no, the only one I’ve been in was in Denver. That one was actually impressive I can’t imagine the sisco one.
Maybe it would be a better fit for Northtown anyways.
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I thought this building was 2 stories, if so, why not an urban best buy!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

How about an Apple Store
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

or how about an alienware outlet
15-17, 26, 32
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

How about my office?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Bring in Baja Fresh or Potbelly Sandwhich Works! Maybe a Gold's Gym!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

We could really use a drug store. Losing Walgreens really hurt.
Locke
Home Owners Association

Post by Locke »

A few suggestions:

Dean and Deluca
Cosi
White House Black Market
Zara

You know, something nice. :D
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present." - Abraham Lincoln
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Locke wrote:A few suggestions:

Dean and Deluca
Cosi
White House Black Market
Zara

You know, something nice. :D
I agree. Something nice would be nice for 16th Street :lol: .

And sorry about that SBNathan I was unaware of your proximity to this project and thanks for asking us forumers what we would like. It really shows you care what we want.
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

I'll second:
An Apple Store, Dean & Deluca, J.Crew, maybe Borders...It would be great if it could be something that is open LATE to help build/sustain the after hours crowd.
Obviously a pharmacy and grocery store are needed for DT residents.

NOT:Urban Outfitters: Mostly overpriced |expletive|....the ambiance is cool but a lot of the merchandise is poor quality- ripping off 'grunge' wanabees. Put one of these in Crossroads!
Virgin Megastores: They may still be going strong in very high pedestrian markets like N.Y. or S.F., but I've heard elsewhere, like most record stores, they are in trouble. The one in L.A. is a shadow of its former glory....now usually EMPTY.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Borders would be a great idea! I mean Borders can be a pretty nice place to hang out for a young professional living downtown (as opposed to hitting the clubs and bars every night). It would actually fit the property well if they made it similar to the one on 72nd and Dodge (layout wise).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I was just going to say, while virtually all of the ideas I've heard here thus far seem like a really far stretch... a bookstore seems like one which might just fly.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I’d be happy with a book store/coffee shop/bakery/cyber café and open 24/7.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

A two story Borders would be awesome. Late night coffee, a book, and Wi-Fi would make my night.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, a borders or barnes and nobles would be fantastic.
SBNathan
New to the Neighborhood

good feedback...

Post by SBNathan »

folks,

thanks for all of the feedback. some great ideas were mention. you didn't dissapoint.

we are working very hard to get this deal off the ground. will keep you all posted on progress. please, continue to post your ideas. i can promise you that we are listening.

thanks,
nathan
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

It's good to know that this project isn't dead. I walked by this building on Monday and thought about the fact nothing has happened in the past year. Same thought occurred to me when I was at 15th and Farnum (??) looking at the Barker Building, which still sits untouched.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Jimmy John's would be great. They want 8 locations in the Omaha metro so they should put one in this locaton. Nice fastfood place for the residents in downtown and people in the old market that want something fast and not too expensive.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Sounds good to me, It would be nice to have another in-and-out place downtown.
15-17, 26, 32