I-480 Bridge

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jays25ks
Home Owners Association

I-480 Bridge

Post by jays25ks »

okay so the other day when i was reading about all the development plans for omaha and cb I thought that it would be cool to have the 480 bridge replaced with something apealing like the new ped. bridge will be. I think that it would be a very nice fit and a fine addition for the new riverfront. What do you guys think?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, OF COURSE! I think we'll all agree with that.

That thing is quite the eye sore. At the very least, I would like to see it adorned with some sort of aesthetic lighting scheme, so it would at least look appealing at night.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Something cool like the Drooklin Bridge in NYNY. With all of the people in the quest/Ricks area it would be very visable
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

may be I should proof read before I hit submit
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Well, at least they recently painted the underside brown. Before that it was left-over green paint and rust... I think a new bridge over the Missouri would go hand-in-hand with putting I-480 underground or completely demolishing it in North Downtown.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I suspect it will be quite some time before the 480 bridge is replaced. In the meantime... we have the Veterans Memorial bridge project nearing. Unfortunately I get the impression not much emphasis is being put on 'visual' aspects of the design here.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

The underside of the 480 bridge is still rust and green. I use the bridges that link Heartland park to L&C and the 480 still looks bad underneath.
I like Bostons new interstate bridge but I think that would look too close to the Ped bridge. Another problem that may soon appear with the 480 bridge is the apartments going in at 9th and Dodge behind the Marriot Courtyard. I noticed that semi trucks often use engine (jake) breaking comming down the Dodge Street exit ramp. It may disturb the occupants.
:shock:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Correct... I noticed the other day while boating on the Missouri that they only painted the outside of the two end supports, the rest of the bridge is still that horriable green color.