Burlington Postal Annex (across from station)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

IridiumFlare
New to the Neighborhood

Burlington Postal Annex (across from station)

Post by IridiumFlare »

Grubb @ Ellis has listed the Burlington Postal Annex (10th and Mason) for sale - $2.6 million.  The building has tremendous potential for retail and residential with great views of the downtown skyline and Old Market.  That price may be a little high though.  I have owned property in the neighborhood for 23 years and this is the first time I remember seeing this property for sale.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the heads up Iridium (As an amateur astronomer, I used to spend quite a bit of time watching for iridium flares myself by the way :) ... also lost quite a bit of money in the company :( ).

I would like for nothing more than to see revitalization spread deeper into the Dalhman area.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If this gets redeveloped into condo/retail/anything, and combine it with the Bluestone project that will be going on/near the old Caniglia's site on 9th and Pacific, you may just get your wish, J.

-Big E
Stable genius.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Yay!!! I've wanted to see this building converted for a long time. The windows are huge. I hope it becomes apartments...I could trainwatch all day amd night there.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Vitals (from http://www.Grubb-Ellis.com):

77,076 SF
lot: 21060 SF
$33.73/SF
built 1930

The link is freakishly long, so go to http://www.grubb-ellis.com, then "Properties", then "Properties for Sale".

Pick up two. They're small.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Definitely good news - and a nice view with big windows.

The building was acutally built in 1926, not 1930.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That's a Class A view right there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If you're lucky, you could catch a glimpse of me coming out of the shower...

In unrelated news, property values at SoMa plummet. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E wrote:If you're lucky, you could catch a glimpse of me coming out of the shower...
That IS a crane in the picture, right? :oops:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'd like to see them go "industrial lofts". You know...not a huge remodel, but pretty much just clean it up and make sure all the systems are working and rent out space for living, office, etc.

I'd rent there.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

They should build a ped crossing where that picture was taken. Either above or below the railroad tracks would connect downtown w/ south o in that area and would attract more residents there. That railroad just (kinda) cuts that area off from the rest of downtown.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote: That IS a crane in the picture, right? :oops:
I dunno, but my boxers were made by Kiewitt. :D

-"Big" E

PS- The pedestrian crossing is called The 10th Street Bridge. It's like 40 ft SE of where that picture was taken, if that far.
Stable genius.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

avanzee wrote:They should build a ped crossing where that picture was taken. Either above or below the railroad tracks would connect downtown w/ south o in that area and would attract more residents there. That railroad just (kinda) cuts that area off from the rest of downtown.
That would be perfect! It would enhance the overall pedestrian connection from the Old Market to North Downtown as well as open up the Dahlman Park neighborhood more.

I am thinking of something ala Millennium Bridge in Denver...

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OK, seriously... not to be a smartass here, but how would building a pedestrian bridge between 10th and 13th Street over the train tracks do something that 10th and 13th Street don't already accomplish?

-Big E
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I agree. The pictures of the Denver bridge, Eric, look really spectacular. But if we're having this hard of a time getting a ped bridge across the Mighty Mo, where there's NO alternative way to walk across there's not a snowball's chance in heck of getting a ped bridge over those tracks when the 10th St. Bridge is 2 blocks away. Not to say it wouldn't be neat, but...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think maybe a little something more special for 10th street would be cool, but im quite happy with the way it is now. With all the nostalgia and all.. plus its not that big of barrior compared to the river. The new moderness fits better in near the QCO and Tuna’s home away from home area.
15-17, 26, 32
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Having another pedestrian connection just increases the vitality of the neighborhood. And crossing train tracks is a lot less expensive than crossing a river - plus there's actually plenty of stuff to do on either side. This would help close the existing 3-block gap between 13th and 10th. In Denver, the area of the Millennium Bridge has several connections accross the train tracks: 14th Street, 15th Street, 16th Street (Millennium Bridge), 18th Street (future bridge), and 20th Street. It just depends on how lively you want the area to be and how accessible for people.

I say if 11th Street is to be an important pedestrian connection throughout downtown, then why not build a bridge here in the future, especially with residential projects coming in on either side?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If they wanted to throw 15million into a new bridge fine my only suggestion is make it look like it fits in. But if there where that money out there I would push for it to go towards the new pedestrian bridge that would be in every dto post card and symbolize Omaha.
15-17, 26, 32
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

The Denver Millennium Bridge only cost $6 million... if you want something more "normal," it would be much lower. Honestly, I don't think this idea would detract from the Missouri River bridge - it's completely separate. And give me a break - I'm just throwing out an idea!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well I am sorry I don’t mean to detract from your idea it is a good one and I agree with you 100%. Maybe it because of all the attention and what have you over the ped. Bridge that is seemingly stalled that is all I can focus on. Im not saying it would detract I know its not even in the same category and they will have their specific purposes.
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Zephyr wrote:if you want something more "normal," it would be much lower.
If it was "normal" I wouldn't want it!! :) Sorry, Eric, I wasn't meaning to single out and criticize you. I was kvetching more in general.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Well, something connecting 11th St over the tracks isn't ever going to happen. SoMa will have a loft building back there within a couple years, so the direct connection will be gone. Not sure about 12th. I'd be surprised if the SoMa HOA would go for it anyway.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have this took pretty much the exact same pic. I have it hanging at my desk. I'm glad they painted the backs of Soma. That concrete totally detracted from all the pics I took from there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For reference, the area to the immediate left of the solid brick wall (back of the first section of condos), where the crane is sitting is the southern-most end of 11th St coming south out of the Old Market.

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That place is a gold mine! The views are spectacular; accept when big e gets out of the shower. When you’re on the upper floors the trains aren’t that bad. It is actually quite an unusual shape though, its yes a parallelogram but a tapered one. The inside is creepy |expletive| heck!!!! It reminded me of tails from the crypt………………………… :wink:
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MTO wrote:That place is a gold mine! The views are spectacular; accept when big e gets out of the shower. When you’re on the upper floors the trains aren’t that bad. It is actually quite an unusual shape though, its yes a parallelogram but a tapered one. The inside is creepy |expletive| heck!!!! It reminded me of tails from the crypt………………………… :wink:
Unfortunently, the views would be the only selling point at this time. Unless....
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Last edited by MTO on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I wonder if we could market your exploits to MTV for some new kind of reality show.

So you took the time to get in there... and then didn't bother to stick a camera lense through one of the broken out windows?

Where's the skyline shot?

EDIT: Ah ha... you've corrupted wags now?

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I have no idea what you are getting at Jeff.

Good idea on the reality show, this week on Extreme Urban Photography. :lol:
Last edited by the1wags on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

MTO wrote:The views are spectacular; accept when big e gets out of the shower.
"There is no word for it, therefore I shall invent it now:

SCRUMTRILESCENT."

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So do we have to wear all black when we go on the photo shoot? Just kidding. :lol:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

i would recommend some old clothes though
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah Brad, complete with eye black in the ski mask too. :lol: Jakes right though, you don't wanna be sporting anything nice doing this.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was just looking at this property on the Assessor's site.

It was bought in 2003 by a guy in Fort Collins Colorado for get this Only $20,000... it was listed for 2.6 Million
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I hope, for that price, it wasn't an "arm's length transaction", and he bought it from a family member!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So many Possibalities, someone got a few mill for me?

and it comes with your very own train car!

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And a classic pickup truck. How did you get down to the tracks? isn't that trespassing down there? Someone should snap this up before the other stuff across the street pushes the price way up.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just walked along the amtrack platform. The loading area for car's 10 throught 15 or more are on the west side of tenth street right in front of the annex.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My Idea for the Annex

Annex Property in RED
Jake, (from a few posts ago)
I outlined the Amtrack platform in Green

Ben
Human Relations

Postal Annex Plans announced - upscale rental apartments!

Post by Ben »

Looks like someone finally committed to rehabbing this building.  It'll be a nice addition to the market, as the # of rentals has gone down significantly in the last couple of years with the rental to condo conversions that have taken place.  Also, it will help further the trend of downtown development south of the tracks, which was started by the Little Italy projects....

From the OWH:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2360187