Gene Leahy Mall Remodel

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:In the first pool south of the Greenhouse I saw this and several small catfish(?)
Yep, that's a catfish!  Cool to see!

South?  The "Main Area" is west of the Greenhouse and there are several stepped pools North of the Greenhouse.

I am guessing you meant the first of the stepped pools north of the greenhouse and east of the "Main Area"?
Yes. I meant to the north, the upper pool to the east of the lagoon.

I'd say we should have an eOmahaForums fish restocking party in the Spring :yes:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I'd say we should have an eOmahaForums fish restocking party in the Spring :yes:
I still think they could get some Koi from the Zoo.  That lake down at the bottom has so many in it they could probably take a couple dozen up to the GLM and nobody would know the difference.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think at this rate, the lake should be about full about the same time the flip on the holiday lights...

1.  One form tonight:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I hope they get someone down there to clean those paint spills up.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice picture Brad, the lighting looks great.  I can't wait to see some of your pictures with the holiday lights.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Not thrilled with the light fixtures being added along the trails.  
They look just like the ones along Conagra's drive. ( the short squatty ones with a rounded top.)

I was hoping for more ornate fixtures that projected light down instead of lights that are waist high.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Not thrilled with the light fixtures being added along the trails.  
They look just like the ones along Conagra's drive. ( the short squatty ones with a rounded top.)

I was hoping for more ornate fixtures that projected light down instead of lights that are waist high.
Aw really???
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:I think at this rate, the lake should be about full about the same time the flip on the holiday lights...

1.  One form tonight:
I've never understood why in all these years no one ever opened a restaurant or bar in the basement of the Burlington Building.  It would seem to be a slam dunk.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That would be nice, but I could see potential problems with the crowds who hang out around the slides at night and the homeless wandering by... But yeah just by the location and surroundings it would be a perfect spot.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I hope they get someone down there to clean those paint spills up.
If we are looking at the same thing, its not pain, its a patch in the concrete.
skinzfan23 wrote:Nice picture Brad, the lighting looks great.  I can't wait to see some of your pictures with the holiday lights.
Thanks!
NovakOmaha wrote:I've never understood why in all these years no one ever opened a restaurant or bar in the basement of the Burlington Building.  It would seem to be a slam dunk.
Great Idea!  Never heard/thought of it!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:I've never understood why in all these years no one ever opened a restaurant or bar in the basement of the Burlington Building.  It would seem to be a slam dunk.
Wasn't that supposed to be an Art Gallery a few years back, I'll have to go to the Burlington thread to see about that...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cleanup almost done. They are still putting in new light bases. Two new ones near the slides.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Those are not new light bases in that first photo.  They are those stupid god awful plugs for the holiday lights.  I hate those things!!!  They have been there for several years...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Those are not new light bases in that first photo.  They are those stupid god awful plugs for the holiday lights.  I hate those things!!!  They have been there for several years...
Not those, look up near the Slide. a ditched witched line (starting almost at the portapotty) leading to two new bases, you can see two guys in the ground there. There are two other new ones along the sidewalk entering the Mall to the west of the arch also...
Last edited by Coyote on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Will I still hate those plugs :;):

I can't see the lights on the phone, I need to get on the real computer...
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah those posts in the middle of nowwhere just for light plugs are pretty ugly.  It seems like there would be much better solutions than that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went by yesterday and again today.  Sill have at least another foot before its full.  Wonder if they are still filling when its this cold?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fences are down. I'm walking the sidewalk as I type!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New lights finished:

Fences are down

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It'll be nice to see next summer once everything is green again.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lol... I just ran up on the bridge to take a shot and didn't even notice there were no fences!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looking at Coyote's photos, it looks like those lights will be easier to replace when they get broken.

1.  Almost Full!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Fences are down. I'm walking the sidewalk as I type!
8)

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Street/Sidewalk cleaners out today. Almost all of the lights are in.
I don't know if there is any more than this for the "LED" lights as compared to the other lights   :

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Still not quite back to the "full line" from before the remodel.

2.  Good thing they dredged it out so idiots can throw dirt right back in to the lake...
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

is it just me or do half the trees not have lights that work? It looked really sad the past few nights, everything close to the water and most of the south side was dark. and of course, half the path lights still weren't on.
Go omaha!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

justnick wrote:is it just me or do half the trees not have lights that work? It looked really sad the past few nights, everything close to the water and most of the south side was dark. and of course, half the path lights still weren't on.
Go omaha!
Did they even decorate them this year?  Last year they didn't do all the trees and then this year with the construction I don't think they did a lot that would have been inside the fence.  I agree, it doesn't look good...
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:
justnick wrote:is it just me or do half the trees not have lights that work? It looked really sad the past few nights, everything close to the water and most of the south side was dark. and of course, half the path lights still weren't on.
Go omaha!
Did they even decorate them this year?  Last year they didn't do all the trees and then this year with the construction I don't think they did a lot that would have been inside the fence.  I agree, it doesn't look good...

Agreed: it looks driving by on the sides but when you walk or drive on 10th, it looks very bare. It looks really sad
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lots of Sod was laid today.  Whole south side is done.  Starting on the north side tomorrow.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Wow I thought they would wait until spring to do that... I take it the winter won't pose any problems for the sod?

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They said they were not going to lay sod until spring, I have to wonder if these two last great days of spring and winter coming Wednesday if this has changed their minds.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:They said they were not going to lay sod until spring, I have to wonder if these two last great days of spring and winter coming Wednesday if this has changed their minds.
I don't think they can let it site all winter.  There is usually something in their grading permit like the paragraph below.
THE APPLICANT, INSPECTOR, AND CONTRACTORS/OPERATORS MUST INITIATE STABILIZATION MEASURES, SUCH AS TEMPORARY SEEDING, PERMANENT SEEDING, AND/OR MULCHING, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ON PORTIONS OF THE SITE WHERE CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES HAVE TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY CEASED, BUT IN NO CASE MORE THAN 14 DAYS AFTER CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY ON THAT PORTION OF THE SITE WHERE WORK HAS CEASED.  TEMPORARY SEEDING (9.5.20), PERMANENT SEEDING (9.5.21), AND MULCHING (9.5.23) BMP'S PRESENTED WITHIN THE OMAHA REGIONAL STORMWATER DESIGN MANUAL SHALL BE ADHERED TO AT ALL TIMES.  THIS PUBLICATION CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.PCWPEROSIONCONTROL.ORG.

On a side note, I sure hope that lake melts today or we are going to be stuck with ugly ice all winter!  I hope it melts today and re-freezes tomorrow with nice clear ice.  It looks really bad right now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Well the grass looks nice, but holy cow the ice does look awful.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
Go omaha!
Is it just me, or does the Woodmen not have as many lights on it as normal either.  Usually they have a ring around the top and then they extend up to the top of the middle of the building.  Seems like this year they just have the lights around the ring on the top.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the view from Channel 6's webcam:

Sorry just realized that I posted the url link and not a screenshot.  Not sure how to capture and post screenshot.  Can anyone help?
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Here is the view from last year.

ImageImage
Last edited by Collin on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here it is when all the trees were lit up.  Must have been 2011-2012

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looking from the roof of the Barker towards the GLM

l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

12/4...shot of GLM from the Barker Bldg. by Brad...this is an inspirational view of Omaha's new riverfront (or near riverfront...ie, Aksarben Bridge view east).  So many of the modern photos of DT Omaha are from the 10th St bridge west, which are great, but this is easily my new favorite shot of modern east DT Omaha, compared with the original 1850's views.  Move the camera location two/three blocks north and the view is identical to so many great historical (read Bostwick-Frohardt collection) photographs.  Save this photo, and pan North and south several blocks over the next  10 +/- years, and I'm convinced this is a historical photo.  Good work!  You've helped me relate my 1950's-1960's memories of Omaha, to the city we now see .  Thanks Brad, and every other Photog that has been active on this site over the last many years.