Gene Leahy Mall Remodel

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Hahaha!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

All joking aside... that's not just any old trash... those are pieces of wax paper to make the slide slicker! :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I can see the slogans for the next mayoral race now...

"I propose that we make the slides themselves slicker, eliminating the need for wax paper which often times ends up littering the environs. Solve the problem at the source."
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

make the slides themselves slicker
The city attorney would probably shoot that proposal down before it got off the ground. Life just hasn't been the same since Ralph Nadar started carrying on about the need for seat belts.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Or since Clark Griswold used that ultra-slick teflon polymer on the bottom of his snow tobbogen thing.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Those slides rule! Well they did, for me until my fiancé kept telling me people upset down them.
I was a leather weapon on them 240lbs guy getting airborne, whew I bout killed a couple kids over the years.
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

pkiphd wrote:I was a leather weapon on them...
Please, the description alone would probably be worth a beer. Explain?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

oh we still go down the slides when we get a chance, on a couple nice non humid nights we have gone down there, after a few drinks usually, and we still have races and such
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Even if it's one of those warmer nights, have some fun on the slides and then go cool off in the FNC fountains!!!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Talked to the guys that ripped out the walls today, they are done with the wall, only things left are to redo the electrical for the lights and reset the lights, some sprinkler stuff and sod the dirt work. They had till Oct 1st for tearing out the walls, city guy is happy so they can push and get sod in before it gets too cold. Looks WAY better.

Yeah next on my list is to build my proposed 11th St ped bridge. :)
For those that don't recall.
Picture that with some nice lighting and maybe a half circle seating area in the middle facing west so people could sit and check out the skyline.
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

Thanks "the1wags" that's the one I was speaking of! You show me as a lazy poster but that's cool... LOL.

Thanks for the wall updates as well. I haven't had a chance to go by the site. I think it looks great already. I had my doubts but I think it will be a nice improvement.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

The Mayor has included $5 million dollars in next years budget for renovations to the mall. Thats less then half of what the entire renovation will costs. It will be interesting to see what parts of the renovation play will happen first. (of course this has to be approved by the city council first). It's great to see some money earmarked for this otherwise I thinkit was dead in the water
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope they put the ice skating rink in first.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was at the Mall Sunday night and thought about some of the improvements they can add to the park.

The main thing is lights, lights, and more lights. Being a 6'7'' guy I won't have as much security concerns as a woman bringing her kids down to the slides. More bright lights at the entrances to the Mall and along the walking paths would be great. If anyone has ever seen Millenium Park at night you'll know what I'm talking about. It's bright as day down there.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Exactly D'Shawn, they really need to brighten the place up. Especially along the walking paths. I'm guessing that lighting is part of the future GLM, at least I hope so.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

As long as they can do that without destroying the "cliche" night shot of downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

THey also could start by removing that big pice of concrete sticking out of the water just east of the island. Second, they could trim the weeds on the island.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Second, they could trim the weeds on the island.
hmmmm maybe eomaha community work day?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:
Second, they could trim the weeds on the island.
hmmmm maybe eomaha community work day?
There is a few of us the migh do that if we could have 24hour a day accesss to the island to photograph from it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think it was mowed the last time I was down there. They have a little platform they walk across and mow it.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I think it was mowed the last time I was down there. They have a little platform they walk across and mow it.
Well with my concerns addressed sounds, throw up some lighting and everything will be great.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

we used tp hang out on that island all the time. We would just have to jump down from the bridge and find our way through the bushes. There really arent that many prime photo spots on it though
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was driving by the Mall at about 9:30 last night and happened to notcie the west end by the library had no lights on. Coincidentally this was also the spot where about 60 derelicts were hanging around.

I'm betting that as residents move into the Paxton that their is more of a push to move out the bums and trouble makers.
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

do they still serve lunch at the west end of the mall? Im all for giving to those in need, but does it need to be in the heart of downtown activity? I think with the paxton opening up, things will change a bit in the area
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Nope no more food at the mall... I think that was the stupidest idea.
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I think that was the stupidest idea.
which part feeding them or the location?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I was tempted to call that church and tell them I'd buy them a bus and pay for the food if they'd move everyone out to their West O parking lot every day.

I could never understand how someone could say "Let's feed all the homeless people right here" and then turn around and say "why are there so many homeless people right here?"

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

They should hide the meals through out downtown and then give each person a map to find a different meal.

Then no one would complain about "the bum congregation" 'cause they'd be all spread out among us. *WOO woo WOO*
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

We can steel the maps and draw all the arrows to Village Point.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Are they working on the island?

Are they putting up christmas lights already?

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Brad, the answer to your questions are...yes, and yes. I moved downtown the 30th of June, and the day after July 4th, the crews started working on hanging the lights in the trees. They are downtown every morning about 6:00, starting the process of stringing them up from stree to tree. Makes you wonder why they bother to take them down? But it keep three guys employed year round so I guess it's good for the economy.

I don't know what is planned for the island, but as of this week it is stripped bare, and a landscaping firm is working on it every day. It is totally dirt now.

As a very sad aside, one of the two swans on the Gene Leahy water dissappeared a week or two ago. The remaining one seems rather confused and spends a lot of time in the "pool" in front of the Greenhouse Apartments. They never bothered to come down here before.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Sad! I hope the other one is alright/alive/if not they'll get another one for the remaining swan.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I also had not noticed the absence. I hope that someone didn't do a squeeze play and a mate will return, or will be provided.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Work Nearly Complete On Leahy Mall Island Renovation
Lively Omaha wrote:Nebraska natives are retuning to the island at the Leahy Mall. Over the last few weeks workers have begun transforming the area with plants that will strengthen its connection to the River. The work is sponsored by Omaha by Design and funded by grant from the Nebraska Environmental Trust.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

well...it's a start...? :?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, it looks like this is all we will get for this year.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Is it just me, or does it look COMPLETELY worse?

Now it looks like a patch of mud where the "tide" is low with weeds growing on it.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Usually grass and plants take time to grow. :roll:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh really? :roll:

It's just that, it seems like there were already established grass, plants, and trees on the island.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It looks COMPLETELY worse now..But it will look COMPLETELY better than before it's renovation in the not so distant future (think..Cup half-full for now)..

Thanks for the pics Coyote..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!