Gene Leahy Mall Remodel

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Official: Gene Leahy Mall

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They have started to install a new irrigation system.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Nice read on the project.  http://omahamagazine.com/2014/06/gene-l ... enovation/
I can't seem to get to the second page, where is the rest of the article?
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

After walking through the GLM and HOA, I hereby propose the following:

Fill in the GLM to 8th St. and develop the land. Divert all park maintenance to HOA. That way, we get a dense CBD and one decent park instead of two heavily vandalized and under maintained parks.

I also propose recasting the "landmark" concrete slides on a slope on the west side in HOA and adding a proper playground. While they're at it, regrade some of the slope somewhere in the park to provide a terrain large enough and flat enough to throw a frisbee, toss a football, play croquet, etc... There is NO place in GLM or HOA presently available do anything like that.

I also propose razing the neglected "pavillion" on the north side of the HOA lagoon in favor of a sloped amphitheater/bandshell ala Turner Park. Fill part of the lagoon if needed to accomplish this.

I also propose relocating the beautiful yet overlooked former MUD Minne Lusa fountain to the circle drive in front of the MUD headquarters to replace the tiny thing they have there now (spread out the downtown fountains).

I also propose designating an area of the parking lot under the 480 as a food truck pod.

Discuss.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am there with ya. I just walked through the GLM yesterday and it looks terrible. You could never tell that any renovation was recently done. The water has algae growing in it and is cloudy with trash as well. (Apparently the system the installed to circulate the water doesn't work well) The island in the center is completely bare. It looks like all the grasses they planted are dead and I am not sure why there are numerous pipes sticking out of the ground on the island. Despite no fish being added, I can definitely tell you there are numerous small fish near the 10th St. bridge.

Other than the Taste of Omaha, HOA never gets fully utilized. It is so disconnected from everything else. It has so much potential, but in its current state, none is being used. Overall it would be great if it was all tied together and to further that, it could be a much better link between the Old Market and North Downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I disagree. While I do have some concerns with maintenance, I really do like both parks.

The only two major changes I would make would to be A- Flatten the hill by 11th street and make a more usable flat space, and B- Add an 11th Street Pedestrian Bridge.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I took a community service group to the GLM last week. Tons of trash, the water is green, small pipes are sticking out of the ground and other sad looking things. I'm not sure we need to fill it in, but I think that maybe the slides could be rearranged as mentioned earlier and I like the idea of creating more usable flat space.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think we should bulldoze Conagra's campus then zone it for some dense new expansion.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mr. omaha wrote:After walking through the GLM and HOA, I hereby propose the following:

Fill in the GLM to 8th St. and develop the land. Divert all park maintenance to HOA. That way, we get a dense CBD and one decent park instead of two heavily vandalized and under maintained parks.

I also propose recasting the "landmark" concrete slides on a slope on the west side in HOA and adding a proper playground. While they're at it, regrade some of the slope somewhere in the park to provide a terrain large enough and flat enough to throw a frisbee, toss a football, play croquet, etc... There is NO place in GLM or HOA presently available do anything like that.

I also propose razing the neglected "pavillion" on the north side of the HOA lagoon in favor of a sloped amphitheater/bandshell ala Turner Park. Fill part of the lagoon if needed to accomplish this.

I also propose relocating the beautiful yet overlooked former MUD Minne Lusa fountain to the circle drive in front of the MUD headquarters to replace the tiny thing they have there now (spread out the downtown fountains).

I also propose designating an area of the parking lot under the 480 as a food truck pod.

Discuss.
I do think GLM and HOA could both use some work to make them more useful for the city. I don't agree with removing GLM though.

1. You proposing to put nearly 6 full sized city blocks back on the market, to what effect? So we can have 6 lots that look like 14th and Dodge instead of one? Omaha really isn't that kind of market where we would absorb that much space in any reasonable timeline. We are talking about a billion in development to make that land worthwhile building stock.

2. Although we do have a glut of green space downtown and along the river we actually have a huge shortage of public space in the actual core. There is no public green space from MTC to 13th St at GLM. Removing GLM puts recreation and leisure even further to the fringes of the core.

3. The area just east of 10th and sough of Conagra Dr is a decent flat space that one could toss a ball around.

4. I totally think we should try and get playground equipment somewhere downtown. OBD's decade old idea was to put in a playground between the top of the slides and the arch in GLM.

5. Totally agree with the pavilion. A small bandshell would be nice, wouldn't need anything super huge and fancy like MTC.

6. Moving that fountain would be great. Such a cool thing probably 1% of the city and visitors know about, could be a focal point elsewhere downtown.

I think it is safe to say Omaha over built it's green space over the past few decades. I think we will slowly continue adding jobs and residents to downtown though and we will see a steady use of these parks. I see a healthy of people walking through GLM on their lunch break and have walked HOA on occasion during the day and generally see people. Sure neither is Central Park busy with people laying on blankets, but we also have very few residents that live without green space. As we continue to add hundreds of downtown residents into apartments I think we will see the activity grow.

As Brad said, we need to maintain better and I think we could add some interesting things to make the parks more useful to people, like finding somewhere for a couple tennis courts would be cool, but I think we are lucky to have this much established park space downtown.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

In response to the comments above:

"1. You proposing to put nearly 6 full sized city blocks back on the market, to what effect? So we can have 6 lots that look like 14th and Dodge instead of one? Omaha really isn't that kind of market where we would absorb that much space in any reasonable timeline. We are talking about a billion in development to make that land worthwhile building stock."

You make a good point about the market. Still, I'd say fill it all up so that it is flat and offer up one block at a time for development. I propose in the interim, keep the ROW sidewalk and trees along Farnam and Dodge as-is to provide a shade perimeter. Fill the lagoon with decent material with adequate compaction to avoid depressions ala Lanoha site. Plant a hearty grass, water via temporary sprinkler system (reclaimed from current park), fertilize and mow. Move the art benches (refurbished) to the sidewalks along Farmam and Dodge street (trees offer shade, visibility may help reduce vandalism). Distribute the art sculptures around DT. This plan would provide a temporary downtown space ala Memorial... Think about it - there is (mostly) nothing at Memorial but green space, and it's used for recreational and civic activities quite a bit more than GLM (flag football, kites, BotW concert). The cost of maintaining the grass will be far less than maintaining the mall in its current state. Less stuff to vandalize as well.

"2. Although we do have a glut of green space downtown and along the river we actually have a huge shortage of public space in the actual core. There is no public green space from MTC to 13th St at GLM. Removing GLM puts recreation and leisure even further to the fringes of the core."

This is true, to a degree - - HOA, Riverfront, Miller's Landing - - yes. However, GLM green space is mostly unusable. One idea to resolve this could be to include a block sized park in the development plans for the resurgent area between the 480 and 20th (I don't know where, but there is a lot of surface parking in that area). Joslyn and Creighton offer current options for some recreation. Not sure if the green space to the north of Physician's Mutual is open to the public?

"3. The area just east of 10th and sough of Conagra Dr is a decent flat space that one could toss a ball around."

True, I forgot about this space, but it is not entirely clear that it is public, (similar to the Physicians Mutual space).

Excellent conversation. Keep it going!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

For as much as we have ripped the park lately I thought it was only fair to give it props when it is being used. It was packed today! Tons of people walking around the lagoon and using the slides. A number of people simply chatting on the benches. The lagoon was full from all the rain recently and looked pretty clean too.

All in all the park was used perfectly today
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:For as much as we have ripped the park lately I thought it was only fair to give it props when it is being used.  It was packed today!  Tons of people walking around the lagoon and using the slides.  A number of people simply chatting on the benches.  The lagoon was full from all the rain recently and looked pretty clean too.

All in all the park was used perfectly today
The grass has also really filled in this summer. Its looking good. Anyone been down there at night lately? They fix any more lights?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

To give them credit... They were not going to lay sod at the end of last year, but with the Festival of Lights approaching, I think they might have been pressured to make the park presentable. There really wasn't enough time for the did to 'take'.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, the lagoon is as gross as ever today. Between the "seaweed" and the trash the water looks disgusting. Anyone have any idea if they clean that out in the spring? I thought the new system was supposed to help keep the algae from growing. I understand with the water being frozen recently, it is still, but it looks horrible right now.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

This is probably a somewhat radical idea, but I really think it is time to just simply do away with the GLM now that the Capitol District development is actually happening.

1. It seems like a money pit to try and maintain it, and it usually ends up looking gross and disgusting anyway.

2. It basically acts as a sort of barrier between the Old Market and our soon to be developing stadium/arena district.

3. It doesn't even seem all that useful as green space???

I imagine the city could get a lot of money for those lots. Or they could develop on that land themselves. It would be so nice to have 11th street connected again.

I don't know, I think it's the shape of GLM that is so problematic. It's kinda like saying "Here lets purposely make a 5 city block long river separating our 2 entertainment sections of downtown!!"

I'm sure GLM is going nowhere anytime soon but hopefully at some point it gets developed on and a different urban park is formed somewhere. Something along the new BRT line between 20th & 29th street on Dodge or Douglas could be a nice way to beautify that part of DT?
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

But then where would all the bums loiter?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Perhaps it's time to rethink the mall and it's purpose. Maybe one idea could be to fill it in and raise it up to street level to make it part of the environment instead of lower than the rest of the activity. You could still have a little lake and some little hills but also stands for vendors. Maybe overpasses over the cross streets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I re- arranged your post and put like thoughts together...
Midwestern wrote:This is probably a somewhat radical idea, but I really think it is time to just simply do away with the GLM now that the Capitol District development is actually happening.

I imagine the city could get a lot of money for those lots. Or they could develop on that land themselves. It would be so nice to have 11th street connected again.
I can't remember for sure, but I think when the city wanted to get rid of Westwood golf course and sell off the land, they ran in to a city law that doesn't allow the city to sell off parkland.
Midwestern wrote:1. It seems like a money pit to try and maintain it, and it usually ends up looking gross and disgusting anyway.
I think its looking a lot better these days. The city has been doing a lit better job on its up keep. I really wish the city could start a fund raising campaign to replace the tall "Grapevine" lights with something that is easier to maintain. Right now most of those lights don't work, but a park worker told me its because most of them are worn out and need to be rebuilt, but they are about impossible to work on. If they could get a new LED style light that is easy to maintain, I think that would go a long way with the overall condition of the park.
Midwestern wrote:2. It basically acts as a sort of barrier between the Old Market and our soon to be developing stadium/arena district.

I don't know, I think it's the shape of GLM that is so problematic. It's kinda like saying "Here lets purposely make a 5 city block long river separating our 2 entertainment sections of downtown!!"
I think that the city really needs to look at the 11th street bridge that Josh (the1wags) proposed a long time ago. A street level bridge that goes right over the lake would address almost all access issues. They have already raised the 10th street sidewalk to a street level bridge, there is no 12th street in that area because the Landmark Center and the Holland Center take up 2 blocks, and there is already a street level walkway at 13th street. 11th street is really the only barrier.
Midwestern wrote:3. It doesn't even seem all that useful as green space???
I still think if they remove the hill just west of the proposed 11th street Bridge, and had a nice level lawn, it would be a great green space for people to use.
Area to be leveled:

I have always been a big fan of the GLM, and I hope with a few more improvements, it can be a great place for years to come.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I would rather see a pedestrian and bike bridge across the mall at 11th than extending the road. The park is far from perfect but there is no shortage of undeveloped and under-developed land downtown. The city needs to do something to push development on the surface lots and undeveloped land around downtown. Maybe there needs to be property tax premium on surface parking lots and vacant lots in the downtown area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, the1wag's proposal was a Pedestrian Bridge at 11th Street. I agree, no need for a road there.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If only the botanical garden could use the mall as an auxiliary garden.
15-17, 26, 32
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Even if they wanted to build a bridge over the mall as a street they would have to move the giant slides. That would be expensive.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Even if they wanted to build a bridge over the mall as a street they would have to move the giant slides. That would be expensive.
No they would not, the sidewalk would go right through the arch and across the lake. The slides are east of 11th street.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Well it's an understatement to say I'm not a fan of the GLM, but if they implemented all of your ideas Brad, I would be pretty content. They go a long way toward addressing a lot of people's criticisms of the current functionality of GLM.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NovakOmaha wrote:Perhaps it's time to rethink the mall and it's purpose. Maybe one idea could be to fill it in and raise it up to street level to make it part of the environment instead of lower than the rest of the activity. You could still have a little lake and some little hills but also stands for vendors. Maybe overpasses over the cross streets.

I've thought it should be a street level as well. I think it would get a lot more foot traffic on street level.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Once upon a time, that was the plan.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Do any of you actually use the park? You all act like its a ghost town when in reality its always busy!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I love walking through there. Summer, winter, day night. I love it. I wouldn't really change it at all, save for changing out some of the lighting and whatever they need to do to decrease the algae growth.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

If I didn't work in the building overlooking the park, I probably would have no idea, but the park is full of people walking through everyday. A lot of downtown workers love to be able to relax with a view of the skyline and not have much traffic noise. I would love to see some sections of it raised up, but for purposes of creating an "oasis" protected from all the street noise, it works well.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:If I didn't work in the building overlooking the park, I probably would have no idea, but the park is full of people walking through everyday. A lot of downtown workers love to be able to relax with a view of the skyline and not have much traffic noise. I would love to see some sections of it raised up, but for purposes of creating an "oasis" protected from all the street noise, it works well.
Exactly!!

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MTO wrote:Once upon a time, that was the plan.

Actually the opposite. It was going to be deeper.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vcck2e.jpg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

NovakOmaha wrote:

Mi was talking about the period when they wanted to bring it closer to street level to make it safer and remove the blind corners and so forth.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Greg S wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Perhaps it's time to rethink the mall and it's purpose. Maybe one idea could be to fill it in and raise it up to street level to make it part of the environment instead of lower than the rest of the activity. You could still have a little lake and some little hills but also stands for vendors. Maybe overpasses over the cross streets.

I've thought it should be a street level as well. I think it would get a lot more foot traffic on street level.

Greg
Truth. It's a psychological thing. Your mind thinks that by going below the surface (street level) you're increasing your odds of not being able to escape an attack by something dangerous because you cannot see your escape routes as well. Your mind thinks you're trapping yourself. That's the reason they tore down the concrete wall that used to border the park.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote:Do any of you actually use the park? You all act like its a ghost town when in reality its always busy!
I actually do, but it's always at night. It does not seem that busy to me. The perimeters are but once it's dark, you can walk for long stretches down near the lagoon and not be around anyone. A

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

NovakOmaha wrote:

Does it show levels on the left? Were those supposed to walkways or what?
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I have worked downtown for a while and I walk through the park and see lots of office workers doing the same. It is a pleasant experience.

The slides get a lot of traffic but it is not really well maintained or a particularly inviting area especially as it is sort of a Omaha landmark.

The park seems designed to discourage anyone from stopping and spending any time in the park. It is more walking trail than park. The anti-vagrant benches are nothing anyone would want to sit on for very long. I occasionally see an intrepid couple or young family lay out a blanket on one of the hills but it is rare. There are a couple spots with a picnic table but they are both really close to foot and street traffic yet kind of creepily isolated at the same time. I sometimes see a single person, street person or office worker, sitting at the tables but never once have I seen a individual or a group eating at one.

The plaza fountain area in front of the library is a disaster. It is not an inviting or pleasant space and the crowd that hangs out there through out the day and into the evening only scares away more people. Why this is the drop off spot for the open door missions free lunch program is a mystery to me.

I know someone is going to ask where I want to "hide" the poor people getting the free lunches and I have a great idea. The front lawn of the city/county building is my suggestion. City and County officials can walk through the crowd each day and maybe think more about some of the housing, job, mental health, and law enforcement issues in the city.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Holiday Lights Festival Lighting Ceremony has been rescheduled due to inclement weather headed into the area for Thursday.

The lighting display will now take place on Saturday at 6 p.m. with a brief ceremony and countdown from Mayor Jean Stothert.

The lights will be illuminated each evening from 5 p.n. until 1 a.m. through Jan. 3.

The Making Spirits Bright Holiday Concert at the Holland Performing Arts Center that was scheduled for Thursday has been canceled and will not be rescheduled.
FYI: There is also a Creighton home game @ 7, so it could be pretty busy in the downtown area.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

skinzfan23 wrote:FYI: There is also a Creighton home game @ 7, so it could be pretty busy in the downtown area.
Looks like the Creighton game on Saturday is actually at North Carolina.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mattl181 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:FYI: There is also a Creighton home game @ 7, so it could be pretty busy in the downtown area.
Looks like the Creighton game on Saturday is actually at North Carolina.
Soccer game is at N Carolina
Basketball is at the CLink.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

What is up with the First National Christmas lights this year? Usually the top part is a little darker green and all of the top panels are green. This year, the sides facing east and west only have the top part lit green, the rest is white.