Grain elevators 35th & I80 to Vinton

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

projectman
Human Relations

Grain elevators 35th & I80 to Vinton

Post by projectman »

Besides the grain elevator at 36th and I-80 being renovated into some kind of fitness center/rock climbing wall, has anyone heard about plans to demolish all of those crumbling eyesore elevators at Omaha's busiest freeway interchange? Talk about a front door image that looks rundown and backwater. What kind of image does that portray to the average vacationer driving through?

I think of Dallas and the gleaming office mid rises and high rises at their freeway interchanges and wonder if Omaha can aspire to that sort of urban landscape. Get rid of those grain elevators!!

I hope the next administration can make some headway trying to get the area cleaned up. Wishful thinking.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I definitely agree that they're an eye sore, but it's not like every other city in the Midwest doesn't have them.

I've personally seen tons of grain elevators in Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and I've even seen pictures of them in Montreal, Quebec.

So yes, I totally wish they would be torn down, but we are definitely not unique in this regard.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

You are correct. It seems to be a Midwest trademark. I remember last spring they were starting to tear down the Scoular Grain elevator, off of Martha St and I-480 and then they just stopped.

I need to just let it go, but every time I drive by the area it bugs the heck out of me.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Apparently it is cost prohibitive for the city to remove most of these structures. I heard that it was miliions of dollars mostly due to the thickness of the concrete walls. At least they removed the old Cargill elevators off of 76th and Dodge (talk about an eyesore). I do like the adaptive reuse for the elevator along I-80 (off Vinton St.) It will be modeled after a climbing facility in Peoria, Ill.

I agree that many should be removed. However, adaptive reuse of a few would be interesting and historical (I know many people didn't care about old barns until they all started disappearing!). Minneapolis has turned the old Gold Coast Flour Mill complex into a museum. This includes elevators and a crumbling building. It is even more impressive in person with the contrast of historic structure and gleaming glass.

[http://www.startribune.com/images/ss/913_7.html][/img]
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Here are a few pics of the Minneapolis Flour Mill Museum located along the Mississippi River in downtwon.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

In Omaha you think we could make an event out of demolishing buildings. The Medical arts building, Burt Tower, Swanson. They even took out Franky Pane's in that one. It is odd that they would stop tearing that one elevator down and leave a big part of it up.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Go figure. Maybe a fire will burn them out and they'll fall down. The ConAgra mills on the southwest side of the Kennedy ramp are a motley looking group of buildings as well. Something needs to happen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I believe that the ConAgra elevators on the southwest side of the 80,480, Kenedy interchange are the only ones still active. I still notice a lot of rail activity in the yard between the buildings and the buildings still have electricity.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

In another thread we were talking about the inevitable widening of the JFK ramps. From what I remember the NB JFK to WB I-80 was to be widened to two lanes which would require I-80 to be widened as it merges w/480 & 80 traffic. THAT, in turn, seems as though would require the elevators to be removed. Perhaps the partial removal of the elevator is inevitable as well.

In the meantime, I agree that a fresh coat of paint is definitely in order, or be creative and let loose some local artists on it. You could really make a cool and unique landmark out of it.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Ugly grain elevators around I-80- I-480-Kennedy Freeway

Post by RNcyanide »

Driving by the Scoular elevator the other day, I had an idea. I know this would never happen, and if it did it would never last, but I thought it'd be neat to use as a base to hang a relief mural on each side, and have it lit up at night. To be honest, I actually think the thing is kind of neat, in a rustic days of yesteryear kind of way.

Oh and um, thread revival?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RNcyanide wrote:Driving by the Scoular elevator the other day, I had an idea. I know this would never happen, and if it did it would never last, but I thought it'd be neat to use as a base to hang a relief mural on each side, and have it lit up at night. To be honest, I actually think the thing is kind of neat, in a rustic days of yesteryear kind of way.

Oh and um, thread revival?
Here you go:
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I hate that old Scoular building near 480. If it can't be torn down, I LOVE the idea of using the facade as an art piece of some kind.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I know this is a thread revival, but I figure I shouldn't start a new one. But is there any way for this and Vinton St. silos to be redeveloped into something useful if it is too cost prohibitive to be torn down? The Scoular tower is on a huge swath of land with decent access, though it abuts the railroad. Can these be repurposed to something useful (it has a pretty nice view of downtown: http://www.placesthatwere.com/2016/07/a ... omaha.html)? Can that land be a future site for future infill development? Additionally, with a recent post about development next to trails, I just thought it would be neat, though unrealistic, to convert the grain elevator to residential units, keeping the silo's empty, but making the tops rooftop entertainment area for the tenants. It's crazy, I know, but can anything be done to these?

Here's an article highlighting some reuses of grain elevator/silos in other metros: https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/06/ ... tors/2293/
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

These really don’t bother me. If we can find a reuse for them or something great. Most Midwest cities have these and they add to Omaha’s “grit effect”. Maybe they can try painting some, especially the Scoular silo near 480.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

We have another thread on this with several ideas posted.
it is at http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f ... n+elevator

my favorite is still the Energizer bunny with a neon drum.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

or perhaps something like this?

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Didn't they already put artwork on them to help them be less unsightly?

They don't really bother me that much -- maybe a tad. But, yes, those are kind of surprising near a downtown in a major city, as people to affiliate them with farms & small towns & rural environments -- of course.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RockHarbor wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:28 pm Didn't they already put artwork on them to help them be less unsightly?

They don't really bother me that much -- maybe a tad. But, yes, those are kind of surprising near a downtown in a major city, as people to affiliate them with farms & small towns & rural environments -- of course.
They had murals for a few years, but they were taken down like 3-4 years ago because no one wanted to pay for the upkeep. It's a shame, they looked super cool when they were painted.
Drewby
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Drewby »

I think they should convert it into a mini Times Square and hang digital billboard signs and use it for advertising purposes. I think it would look really cool at night all lit up with billboards and advertisements. Then they could sell advertising time on the building and make some money off of it. I’m talking specifically about the Scoular tower. Does anyone know who owns it?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Drewby wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 pmDoes anyone know who owns it?

Dirty Dan LLC owns it and a few other parcels near it:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (219.45 KiB) Viewed 13436 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:42 pm
Drewby wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 pmDoes anyone know who owns it?
Dirty Dan LLC owns it and a few other parcels near it:
Well, I have to say it looks like the property is in good hands!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes it is, Dirty Dan LLC is owned by a prominent business leader.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:18 pm Yes it is, Dirty Dan LLC is owned by a prominent business leader.
Ha, I didn't know that. I was being a little sarcastic. What might be some affiliations that could give us an idea of a future around here?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Coyote wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:18 pm Yes it is, Dirty Dan LLC is owned by a prominent business leader.
Ha, I didn't know that. I was being a little sarcastic. What might be some affiliations that could give us an idea of a future around here?
Yes I would like to know that bit of info as well.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Drewby wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 pm I think they should convert it into a mini Times Square and hang digital billboard signs and use it for advertising purposes. I think it would look really cool at night all lit up with billboards and advertisements. Then they could sell advertising time on the building and make some money off of it. I’m talking specifically about the Scoular tower. Does anyone know who owns it?
That would be kind of neat. I think if something similar was done on the grain silos, it would be sweet. Maybe instead of billboards, giant projections.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Backlund Plumbing is behind Dirty Dan LLC
hamburgbamberg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hamburgbamberg »

Does anyone know what ever came of those climbing gym plans? As far as I know, there isn't one in that neighborhood, but I would be excited to find out that I'm wrong.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

hamburgbamberg wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 am Does anyone know what ever came of those climbing gym plans? As far as I know, there isn't one in that neighborhood, but I would be excited to find out that I'm wrong.
It was there for a while but has since closed.
Ersatz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ersatz »

Has anyone heard a rumor that NuStyle was looking at this to covert into apartments and linear penthouses?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Ersatz wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:40 pm Has anyone heard a rumor that NuStyle was looking at this to covert into apartments and linear penthouses?
I certainly haven't but the investment in order to make that happen would be astronomical.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It wouldnt surprise me. I almost think they would convert the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant or the Chalco grain elevator or an old, unused Eppley terminal to condos if you let them.

Lol. Kidding (kinda).

They actually do a lot of great things in Omaha...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Ersatz wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:40 pm Has anyone heard a rumor that NuStyle was looking at this to covert into apartments and linear penthouses?
That would be great if true. Residents could have great views, I am guessing, from the tops of the silos. Like others said though highly unlikely due to potential costs, but I would love to see it happen.
Ersatz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ersatz »

They did it in Dallas. Left it raw and in it’s abandoned state, just cleaned it up and did cheap minimal kitchens and baths.

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Ersatz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:35 pm They did it in Dallas. Left it raw and in it’s abandoned state, just cleaned it up and did cheap minimal kitchens and baths.
Considering what NuStyle was able to do with the Breakers and the Atlas, this type of project would fall right into their wheelhouse..
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I am almost surprised they would ever be willing to do that w/ that kind of structure. (The surpising Dallas photos really made it hit home for me, that this is actually a possible reality.) What about condo windows in those silos? What kind of people are attracted to live there? I cant imagine very cosmopolitan-type people.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That's a fascinating development in Dallas.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Didn’t know where to put this so I figured I would use the thread talking about an ugly useless space that slightly has to do with 480.

Here’s potentially an idea for what to do with the space under the freeway cutting through downtown: a linear park like The Bentway in Toronto. https://www.thebentway.ca/about/
Not really a new idea just a proof of concept that this could be implemented in a city.

Although I think Omaha would have to find more unique uses for the land due to the fact that there will already be an abundance of great parkland in downtown with the GLM/Riverfront redo, it could still become a really cool space for the city and could help aid in making North Downtown and DT more tightly woven together rather than being a barrier.
#gohawks
ScrattyB
Library Board

Re: Grain elevators 35th & I80 to Vinton

Post by ScrattyB »

buildomaha wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 pm
Here’s potentially an idea for what to do with the space under the freeway cutting through downtown: a linear park like The Bentway in Toronto. https://www.thebentway.ca/about/
Not really a new idea just a proof of concept that this could be implemented in a city.
Why not build under it like they do in Japan?
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6920362 ... 8192?hl=en
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Re: Grain elevators 35th & I80 to Vinton

Post by j4nu »

https://www.archdaily.com/879763/zeitz- ... ick-studio

Another cities reuse of a similar facility.