DISCUSSION: TD Ameritrade Park Omaha

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Mr. Fahey, 62, said he wants the Royals to stay. "There is room up there for pools," he said of the new stadium design. But Mr. Fahey has made clear that for him, securing a long-term deal to keep the College World Series was always more important than a splash zone for the Royals.

Mr. Fahey's plan would raise $100 million from new taxes and fees on hotels and rental cars, revenue from the city's Keno gambling machines, and revenue from the stadium, which would open in 2011. The private sector has committed an additional $43 million.

Earlier this month, the NCAA signed a contract to keep the College World Series in Omaha for 25 more years, assuming the city approves the stadium plan.

With word spreading that the NCAA wanted to keep the event in Omaha, opposition to the project began to shrink. The effort to recall Mr. Fahey garnered 8,000 signatures, about a third of what was needed. "I was one of the last people to come around," said Mr. Diesing. "But this is about a vision for the future of Omaha."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bobcat wrote:Today's (5/19/08) Wall Street Journal has a half page article detailing the city's efforts to move the CWS to a downtown ballpark.  It appears on page A4, and if you have the chance today I'd suggest picking up a copy.
By "pick up a copy", I assume you meant "click the link"?   :;):

Interesting that the WSJ calls it the "most expensive minor league ballpark".  It isn't even a minor league ballpark yet.
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The WSJ piece was definitely a nice bit of exposure...but they did go a little too heavy on the nostalgia, and didn't quite paint the whole picture, i.e. the current widespread support, Zoo expansion plans for the Rosenblatt site, starting a "new" tradition, and what it means for Downtown development.

And the repeated references to Omaha as a "former railroad town"....how are we not STILL a railroad CITY? (among other things, obviously)  But I'll take that over cowtown any day. :)

Confession:  I did not realize that "Messrs." is the plural of "Mr."  Now I know...and knowledge is power!!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

omahahawk wrote:City council's first stadium vote next week

After months of discussion about a new downtown ballpark, the Omaha City Council will have its first opportunity next week to formally weigh in on the plans.

The council will be asked Tuesday to approve a $3.4 million contract for the demolition of the former Pinnacle Foods plant at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue. A parking lot will be built at the site to replace stalls displaced by the stadium on Qwest Center Omaha lots C and E.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10336965
I'm glad this vote is coming now.  When I e-mailed the city council members, they all wanted to wait until this years CWS before they would make a vote.  That would have caused a media frenzy and enormous embarrassment to have the Save Rosenblatt Group picketing during the games.   I think the decision is all but locked up now.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City Councilman Predicts No Surprises As Downtown Ballpark Plan Moves Forward
KETV wrote:First, the City Council must approve a resolution to approve the stadium project plan. That is expected on June 3.

A series of ordinances will be voted on June 10, including a resolution to allow the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority to build and operate the stadium and to allow private donations for the new ballpark.

A third resolution would approve the leasing of the ballpark to CWS Inc. The Council must also allow the city to increase the rental car tax and the hotel tax, and transfer the seat tax from Rosenblatt.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Central High students have stadium ideas.  Meeting with Mayor tomorow.

http://www.ketv.com/video/16361687/index.html
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Fahey faced a curveball or two
The crowd packed into the Westside High School auditorium was angry, and people made no attempt to conceal their ire.

Why should Omaha abandon historic Rosenblatt Stadium?

How can the city possibly afford to build a replacement downtown?

Why won't residents get a vote on the matter?

The questions - many accompanied by jeers and insults - rained down on Mayor Mike Fahey at that March 10 meeting. It was the last of the three public meetings on Omaha's recently unveiled downtown ballpark proposal, and it was also the most hostile audience Fahey and those spearheading the stadium effort would face.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10342835
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Breaking News: Omaha council gets an earful on new ballpark plans

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10349534
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:After more than a year of debate, people still want to share their two cents about Omaha's plan for a new downtown stadium.

About a dozen residents spoke about the ballpark during a public hearing Tuesday in front of the Omaha City Council. The hearing lasted about an hour.

Most of the speakers opposed the downtown stadium. They said that the $140 million project is too costly, and that residents will end up saddled with additional taxes.

Four speakers had one specific concern: The orientation of the new ballpark. They told the council they are worried about the proposed orientation of the stadium, which is to the southeast. That is, if you draw a line from home plate to center field, it points southeast. It should face northeast as many ballparks do nationwide, including Rosenblatt Stadium, the speakers said.

Councilman Franklin Thompson said he will look closely at that issue but he pointed out that Haymarket Park in Lincoln points southeast.
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Largely absent from the public hearing were members of the group that formed last year to push to keep Rosenblatt. The Save Rosenblatt group has said it will no longer fight the new stadium and focus its efforts instead on improving south Omaha.
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Councilman Garry Gernandt is the only council member who has said he will oppose the measures that will pave the way for a new downtown ballpark.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

well i doubt it really matters what these few numbers of people think as the stadium is on the way with a memorandum of understanding for 25 years.

adam
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wow, what an idiot.  I watched most of it on TV and almost all of the opponents said multiple times that they supported the stadium but they just had a few concerns.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Wow, what an idiot.  I watched most of it on TV and almost all of the opponents said multiple times that they supported the stadium but they just had a few concerns.
I agree.  I sat through the dang meeting and very FEW were opposed to the actual ballpark.  Most rambled on about the sun in the eyes of outfielders and how they KNEW that the numbers were incorrect, but were still in favor of the project.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stadium debate takes a new direction

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10349534

KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A handful of the opponents said they are worried that the $140 million project is too costly and that residents will end up saddled with additional taxes.

But four speakers had a different concern altogether: The direction the new stadium will face.

As it now stands, the preferred orientation is to the southeast. That is, if you draw a line from home plate to center field, the stadium points southeast. That layout maximizes views of downtown Omaha.

But it's a bad idea, several people told the City Council.

"If you research ballpark orientations, every one of the designers recommends an east/northeast orientation," said Jim Monahan. "We will regret it forever if we don't face it in the right direction."

Monahan and other opponents said a southeast orientation would mean batters could have the direct sun in their eyes, and that fans would also be overly exposed to the sun. They asked that the design be changed to have the field face the northeast.

"It would be nice to look downtown for the scenery, but tradition means a lot to me," said Roger Welliver.

Councilman Franklin Thompson said he had done some research on the issue and said he was willing to hear more from the public. He pointed out, however, that Haymarket Park in Lincoln faces the southeast, and that the engineers who worked on the preliminary design of the stadium said the angle at which the sun hits Omaha should eliminate any sun problems.

City Attorney Paul Kratz said that Omaha hasn't yet hired an architect and engineering firm to do the final stadium design, and that nothing is set in stone. But the public will have "zero official input" in the design process, he said.

Some of the opponents had concerns that went beyond the orientation of the stadium.
Sometimes I think its good if the public stays out of things.  Everyone always says how good haymarket is and it faces southeast and I have never heard that it was a problem!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe the complaints came from season ticket holders who will now have to face the sun at a 1:00 pm game.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I believe the complaints came from season ticket holders who will now have to face the sun at a 1:00 pm game.
Shut those 4 people up and get them different seats!  Seriously thought, Royals or CWS season ticket holders?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Shut those 4 people up and get them different seats!  Seriously thought, Royals or CWS season ticket holders?
CWS season ticker holders. They were promised seats DT close to where they sat in Rosenblatt - but changing the orientation changes which seats are better than others and it would be harder to find other comparable available seats - unlike the 400 Royals season ticket holders. Just ask wags what a little more sun can do ;-)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Coyote wrote:Just ask wags what a little more sun can do ;-)
Sunblock is your friend.  :yes:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

according to http://ballparks.com/baseball/index.htm, 15 MLB parks face northeast, 7 face southeast.  The "preferred" orientation is east-northeast, but i think it'd work either way.  I'd prefer the skyline view (stadium facing southeast), because it is never going to be perfect for everyone 100% of the time anyway.
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Coyote wrote:City Councilman Predicts No Surprises As Downtown Ballpark Plan Moves Forward
KETV wrote:First, the City Council must approve a resolution to approve the stadium project plan. That is expected on June 3.

A series of ordinances will be voted on June 10, including a resolution to allow the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority to build and operate the stadium and to allow private donations for the new ballpark.

A third resolution would approve the leasing of the ballpark to CWS Inc. The Council must also allow the city to increase the rental car tax and the hotel tax, and transfer the seat tax from Rosenblatt.
looks like we've only got a couple of days before any new announcements; i hope that by the time they get moving on it, they will have enough time to get the stadium built for 2011.  Surely there's a lot going on behind the scenes already, it'd be great to find out what kind of retail and design plan they will come up with for the whole project.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Signing set for Tuesday on 25-year CWS pact

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10353992
C. DAVID KOTOK WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:All the pieces should finally come together Tuesday to keep the College World Series in Omaha and at a new downtown stadium through 2035.

The formal signing of a CWS agreement between the NCAA and College World Series of Omaha Inc. is set for 10 a.m. Tuesday.

About four hours later, the Omaha City Council is expected to ratify an agreement with the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority to build and operate the new stadium, as well as several other key CWS agreements.

The council also is expected to sign off on increases in the city's car rental fee and hotel tax to help pay for the $140 million stadium project.

NCAA President Myles Brand and NCAA Managing Director of Baseball and Football Dennis Poppe will be at the signing ceremony that will take place at the proposed stadium location on Qwest Center Omaha parking lots C and E.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Was watching a little bit of the super regionals tonight on ESPN and they were talking up the new ball park the whole time.  Naturally a couple comments about sad to see the Johnny go, but followed up quickly with comments along the lines that it's time to move on to something bigger/better, how the series belongs in Omaha, etc.  They commented on how amazing the new stadium will be and how it will complement all the great things Omaha is doing downtown.  I don't think the Chamber could've come up with a better 15min script of how to pimp Omaha.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

it would be nice if there were a video of that tidbit on youtube.
Go Cubs Go
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Tradition part of magic for CWS, Omaha

Post by midtown charlie »

College baseball coaches across the country don't have to prepare any long inspirational speeches before the start of each season. They only need to say one word.

Omaha.

http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/conte ... CID=815641
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

WHOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

"The deal has been inked.

NCAA President Myles Brand and College World Series Inc. President Jack Diesing this morning signed the contract that will keep the championship in Omaha through 2035.

The signing took place in Qwest Center Omaha parking lots C and E on what will become home plate in the new downtown stadium. Local officials and those who have worked on the new ballpark project applauded the signing, which is the culmination of more than a year of planning."

Link to the full Omaha World Herald article....
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10354636
thenewguy
County Board

Re: Tradition part of magic for CWS, Omaha

Post by thenewguy »

midtown charlie wrote:
College baseball coaches across the country don't have to prepare any long inspirational speeches before the start of each season. They only need to say one word.

Omaha.
http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/conte ... CID=815641

Good article!  Gave me some chills.  And now the the deal is inked and had time to dry, I'm anxious for the other announcements to follow!
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the same article:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10354636
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote: KENT SIEVERS/THE WORLD-HERALD PHOTO:
This is where home plate will sit at Omaha's new ballpark.

KENT SIEVERS/THE WORLD-HERALD PHOTO:
NCAA President Myles Brand left, and Jack Diesing Jr. as the NCAA signs a 25-year agreement with College World Series of Omaha Inc. The signing took place near where home plate will be located in the new downtown ballpark.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

so based on the shadows and time of day the picture was taken, it looks like home plate is going to have a southeast facing orientation?  The sun appears to be casting a shadow from east-northeast and the plate isn't facing into the sun, it's turned 90*
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ballpark measures approved by City Council
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Omaha City Council approved these measures Tuesday with 6-1 votes. Councilman Garry Gernandt voted no on each item. A lease agreement between Omaha and the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, which lays out MECA's responsibility for managing the new stadium and the compensation it will receive from the city to do so. A lease agreement among Omaha, MECA and College World Series of Omaha Inc., which determines the responsibilities each entity will assume during the two-week annual baseball championship from 2011 to 2035....
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yes.  We can!
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

TD Ameritrade Park?

I was hoping for Union Pacific park, but this will work.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New ballpark's name might be TD Ameritrade

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10355023
C. DAVID KOTOK © 2008 OMAHA WORLD-HERALD wrote:Omaha's new downtown stadium could possibly bear the name of a homegrown success story when it opens in 2011. How does TD Ameritrade Park sound?

Joe Moglia, chief executive officer of TD Ameritrade, confirmed to The World-Herald that he hopes to gain the naming rights for the new home of the College World Series.

The company has made its interest known in a conversation and follow-up letter to David Sokol, chairman of the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority. MECA is taking a lead role in negotiating stadium naming rights under its management agreement with the city.

Both local and national companies are eligible for the naming rights as long as their image is consistent with the NCAA championship event. For example, alcohol and cigarette companies would not be invited to bid on the naming rights.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

flyOMA wrote:TD Ameritrade Park?

Union Pacific won't sell more trains when the CWS is on ESPN for two weeks.  Ameritrade might open a lot of investment accounts.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Union Pacific won't sell more trains when the CWS is on ESPN for two weeks.  Ameritrade might open a lot of investment accounts.
Also TD Ameritrade is world wide where UP only deals with Chicago to the west cost.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

any corporation that gets naming rights in a city should automatically build a new high rise, too :)  Qwest needs something bigger than what they've got too! :P
Go Cubs Go
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

A local company stepping up for the naming rights is great news as is the official signing of the cws agreement yesterday.  IMO the next most important step is signing the Omaha Royals as a tenant.  The added activity that the team would bring downtown would go a long way in helping the viability of some large projects that we all would like to see surrounding the immediate area around the stadium.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Bingo Bobcat. Next step is the Royals playing ball downtown too.

If it makes no difference financially, then who cares if they get a "sweetheart deal"? For me it's about another 70  games, enhancing activity and foot traffic downtown.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:who cares if they get a "sweetheart deal"?
No kidding.  Like they're on a level playing field as it is right now.
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'd like to see what the financial impact of having the royals here is.  everyone knows the impact of the college world series but it would be a big help to downtown and all the new stuff going in if the royals stayed.  Like you guys said, if they can support the stadium on the CWS alone, why not cut the Royals a little deal and get them to stay?  It's all gravy anyway right?
Go Cubs Go
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Big E wrote:
flyOMA wrote:TD Ameritrade Park?

Union Pacific won't sell more trains when the CWS is on ESPN for two weeks.  Ameritrade might open a lot of investment accounts.

-Big E
With the stock market the way it is now, that's unlikely.   :lol:  Everytime I login to my Ameritrade account, I want to kick my cat.