DISCUSSION: TD Ameritrade Park Omaha

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

DISCUSSION: TD Ameritrade Park Omaha

Post by Brad »

:idea: As I said in a different discussion, I think the the Omaha Royans and Creighton University should form a partnership to purchas or barter for the old UGLY swanson plant by the Qwest Center.  Imagine a 5000 or 6000 seat stadium with the enterance/home plate area in the north east corrner and with the downtown skyline in the outfield. is would be like all the new major league parks only smaller.  The location would be perfect, Half way between The Q and the old market.  
:?:
I am sure with Swanson Screwing the City on its deal the city could help the "Partnership" get a great deal on the land.

The Players for the Royals hate the current stadium because it is too big and it always looks empty.  How do you encourage excitement when the stadium is 80 Percent empty.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I voted "no" because, even though a new home for the Royals downtown would be fantastic, I would fist like to know what would happen to Rosenblatt. If I could be assured that Rosenblatt's future was secure without its primary tennant, then I would be for it. The players do deserve an energetic place to play.

Is the CWS enough to keep Rosenblatt afloat?
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I voted "no" as well, because I think a downtown baseball stadium will be a long time coming (as edsas said, a good use needs to be determined for Rosenblatt) and I also think it should be built in another location.  In my opinion, the Swanson site doesn't offer enough space for a stadium, with I-480 close by and the fact that it sits on a relatively steep hill.  Also, there is currently a push to make 11th Street a pedestrian corridor, from the Old Market to North Downtown, which would have to go through the Swanson Plant area.

Instead, I would choose the area near the Jones Street power plant (about 7th and Jones) for a new stadium because that area is ripe for development, and that will be the next phase for riverfront development as the Back to the River Trail is connected from Heartland of America Park to the other end at about 2nd and Pine.  By that time, I think a downtown stadium would make more sense, as another use for Rosenblatt could come up.  This location would also put it near the Old Market and close to the Burlington Station.  But that's just my own idea, there are several good places that very well could work (potentially including the Swanson/North Downtown area).

Below is a map I made up a while ago that shows where the stadium could possibly be located at.  I also drew in a new Leavenworth Street bridge across the Missouri River to connect with 9th Avenue in Council Bluffs, and an 11th Street pedestrian bridge south of the Old Market to connect the Dahlman Neighborhood to the Old Market, where there would potentially be new apartments and condos.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think there's too much that could be done at Rosenblatt to address this problem. I understand they implemented some kind of failed seat covering for the seats beyond 1st/3rd... but I think for far less than the cost of a new stadium... this problem could be addressed. There's too much history at Rosenblatt... you couldn't justify it's existence for just the CWS... and perhaps an Independence Day game (and the CWS isn't going to play at a small downtown stadium). I see a Rainforest Cafe adjacent the zoo... and an ESPN Sportszone adjacent the stadium... with a public plaza joining the two in between... complete with some amusements, etc. A whole zoo/stadium district (serviced by the trolley of course)... could emerge at some point... with new residential/retail.

On the other hand... if Omaha is willing to let go of the CWS... and Creighton/Royals collaborated on a downtown stadium... the potential for the zoo's expansion would obviously be enormous.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'm also of the opinion that Rosenblatt cannot be supported by the CWS alone. A smaller stadium would be better though for the Royals (look at Haymarket Park in Lincoln) as far as crowd energy goes. But there is a lot that could be done in the Blatt/Zoo area as far as turning it into more of a destination district. One of the best things the Blatt has going for it, IMO, is its Wrigley Field-ness. In that I mean that its in the middle of a neighborhood, much history and has the authentic old-school ballfield look to it as opposed to Haymarket Park which was designed to look old style, so to speak. Add a train/trolley to the scene and it has a lot more to offer during CWS. The problem now?...what to do when the CWS isn't in town!

I don't think losing the CWS is a good idea. It brings in a lot of money to businesses (more if there were more on-site like jhuston suggested w/espn, etc) and a lot of recognition and publicity to Omaha. If not for the proximity of the neighborhoods it would possibly be a decent place for more regular outdoor concerts. There's just more that could be done before scrapping it.
eomaha
County Board

Joint Creighton-Royals basetball stadium at 16th and Burt

Post by eomaha »

Probably just forums feeding off of one another (and people at Creighton bouncing it back)... scraper said over at the chamber site...
It's being rumored on a CU athletic talkboard that there will be an announcement next week of a CU/Royal stadium at 16th and Burt. Apparently will use same brick facade as the CU soccer stadium.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I wouldn't be surprised. In his 125th Celebration speech in 2003 (http://www.creighton.edu/President/Speeches/125.html), Fr. Shlegel outlined future growth for the campus and Creighton in general. We have talked about the plans on here in reference to student housing, academic buildings, student center and parking garages. The plan also outlines a sports venue for the eastern end of campus and included the soccer stadium and a baseball stadium. I'm sure the plans have been modified  (increased seating) now that the Royals are on board but Creighton has wanted a new stadium on campus for some time.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

How big is CU place now. I'm slowly but surely coming around on this idea but it still kind of irks me. Don't know why. :?
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Probably because baseball stadiums are so huge, typically surrounded by sprawling parking lots, and we are imagining all of those lovely old abandoned buildings that would be torn down.

Though I do think it would help jump start Old Market North (I'm not |expletive| calling it North Downtown! :P ).
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hopefully if built there, they will turn it so the crowds view will be of DT behind the outfield. That way the Creighton and Royals get used to the view but the visiting teams get caught up in the view and strike out. :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Image Swing for the fences boys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think that view is a bit underwellming but I do hope that the seats face that way.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Well I guess we won't really know if it will be big enough for the CWS until it is announced. My friend who is on the inside at Creighton, keeps telling me the CWS will move there. Since the CWS will be at Rosenblatt until 2010, I'm doubting the move, but I guess we never know. I hope we hear something next week. I really want to see some plans.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

If the CWS does move to the new stadium it would need a lot of ground level parking lots for campers and RV's. Didn't Rosenblatt just extend it RV parking lot in the back of the stadium. Anyway, I wouldn't like that idea of so much much openess (concrete paking lot) in a center of a city. I think it will stay at the Rosenblatt. (at least until 2010)

The benefits, however, would be increased revenue in the old market and increased stays in DT hotels. It could prompt the Hilton to expand like it said it would too. We'll see how this all plays out.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Or we could just build a 10th st street car already and turn all of tenth street from rosenblatt to the Qwest Center into one long shopping and tourisim corridor.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I guess I don't see the CWS ever going to a NDTO stadium. The Royals, yes, but the CWS, no. I mean isn't it the NCAA who keeps wanting a bigger stadium while the Royals want a smaller one?
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I guess I don't see the CWS ever going to a NDTO stadium. The Royals, yes, but the CWS, no. I mean isn't it the NCAA who keeps wanting a bigger stadium while the Royals want a smaller one?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think the NCAA should be the ones to decide if the CWS moves. No one from Omaha.

As far as the parking thing, CU announced a 1,000+ stall not to long ago. The Qwest Center would be right there with it's lots. I would like to see the CWS eventually move DT but I still don't thing we need 2 stadiums. COLLAPSABLE SEATS PEOPLE! That way everyone's happy with the size.
DTO
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

From what I'm hearing, I doubt the CWS is going to move. I've been hearing 5-8000 seats. And, I don't really think parking will be a problem at all. Not only are they building a garage a block to the the west but there is also all the parking under the interstate and as mentioned before the Qwest lots are what 3-5 blocks to the east.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

wowt channel six is just about to air a story about a new stadium at 5pm
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

|expletive|. It's 5:30 now. If it's not on again at 6 how was it.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It focused only on the Royals.

At the end of the story the reporter said they had spoken to a Creighton official who said there have been no discussions between the university and Royals baseball on a jointly developed stadium.
Last edited by eomaha on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

OK, this rumor is also being discussed in a thread on Rivals. From what has been said it seems that the stadium maybe exclusively Creighton. So Rosenblatt will be used for the Royals and CWS still. It is going to be a mini-Haymarket, probably seating between 5-10,000. The Royals are going to attempt to become a part of it, but good luck. I guess some people who went down to St. Louis also discussed it, and it sounds as if we will hear something soon. My guess is that CU can afford to pay for the stadium on their own, and the Royals are SOL.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OhioStreetKid wrote:It is going to be a mini-Haymarket, probably seating between 5-10,000.
I wouldn't quite call that a mini-Haymarket. According to the Lincoln Convention & Visitors Bureau the seating capacity of Haymarket Park is 4,500.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Well, you are right than tuna. The overall complex maybe smaller though? (just a guess)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

This is starting to sound like the type of stadium that is pictured above!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I believe that Haymarket has permanent, chair back seating for about 4,500. With the berm seating it is at about 9,000 or so. I have been there a bunch and for the CWS regional games I know the attendance was around 9,000 with room for more if the officials to be would have allowed it.

Of course they were not counting the few that have tried sitting on the grass slop along the highway on the outfield fence. They cops kept running them off!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yes, there's room for at least 4,000 on the berms making 9,000+ attendance possible. One has to hope though that a stadium will be built to an expanding market of 850K as opposed to Lincoln's 250K. Like Lincoln's Haymarket park, the possiblity of outdoor concerts exists. With the type of turf at Creighton's soccer field I'm not surprised there haven't been concerts there. That would be a great locale though!
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Ok, here's the deal. When I said I thought we would be hearing something sooner than later, I wasn't thinking of an announcement within a few weeks. I was more think on the lines of a few months, when after hearing the rumor about it coming within a week to say the least I was skeptical but didn't want to post anything just in case someone had better info than I did. On that not, at the game today (which we won both) I checked a member of the athletic board and he said that it was just that a rumor. Right now seeking a donor(s) so they don't pull a Nebraska and start building later to have to take out bonds. If there isn't another donor after Gaughn he said not to expect an announcement for at least another year or two. He did say that they where doing some "backroom" fundraising though, so right now there are only a handful of people who really know how close they are to getting this going.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

This is getting much more interesting -----

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=1364575

I guess it should be moved off the rumor thread.

I originally wasn't a supporter of this but I've changed my mind as it will definitely help the North Downtown area and fits well with Creighton's plans and ongoing development. Omaha will continue to keep Rosenblatt up to date for the CWS and I would think the Royals would still use the blatt for the big fireworks game/show; CU may use it for the NU series. This could work and definitely will help spur more growth.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

And Rosenblatt still has the NSAA championship, I'm starting to think 2 stadiums will work.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I read the article as well jjjjhskr and I agree..

A possible baseball staduim would definitly be the rocket-fuel to attract further development to North Downtown Omaha..

Quotes from the W-H piece by Stan Meredith head of DLR Sports in Omaha:

'New ballparks, he said, encourage walking.'..

'He said a north downtown ballpark could take advantage of the convention center parking and be an amenity for conventiongoers.

"It's a five-minute walk to enjoy an Omaha evening with wonderful views of downtown and the river," he said. "It's perfect."'..

Exactly! :D..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It appears that the World Herald is in favor of this idea. There have been several articles about this stadium without anyone saying it is a go. Maybe they are trying to keep this project in peoples minds - hoping that someone will step up to the plate and take a swing at this.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm still on the fence about this. I think it would be nice for CU as a way to have a better campus. But I don't really care for all of the talk about miking the stadium park like. Why can't it just be a stadium and have all of the other stuff on the outside. Also since it's going to take up so much space they had better have one of the best looking stadiums around.
DTO
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

I, personally, would be all in favor of a shared stadium however after talking to a few more people down there it seems as if the Royals want to use the stadium but absolutely will not put a dime toward building it. That being the case Ras and his crew said that's fine enjoy the Blatt.

To me personally, I think these reports will make that much easier when CU goes asking for money. And, this may just be the conspirator in me, but I wouldn't put it past the Royals for feeding the paper and channel six theses tips. Lest we forget that it was the Royals who came out with plans for a new stadium first (what was it like two years ago now).

P.S. anyone with an extra $8-10M go ahead and give Sarv a call, and who knows they may let you name the damn thing! :wink:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Would the Royals even have money to put towards a new stadium? I thought they've been hurting in the bank for awhile now.
DTO
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

my dad who is in construction heard from his boss that there should be an announcement of a stadium for creighton either at the end of the week or beginning next week. thats all he knew of the situation, but we'll wait and see.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

I've jumped on the bandwagon

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I was skeptical at first but now I'm 100% behind a either a CU/Royals stadium or CU only stadium. After attending a game a Haymarket park it became very clear why the Royals would want a new/smaller stadium. The design for Haymarket was much more fan/family friendly and overall a much better experience then going to Rosenblatt & watchig a game with 1,500 fans. Don't get me wrong, nothings better then the CWS and that atmosphere at Rosenblatt. The CWS is what sustains that stadium and will continue to as long as we host the event. Look at UNL football stadium; 10's of million of dollars are spent on this place yet it only is used a few times a year. This 2 stadium idea will work.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Yea, I think the two stadium idea will work too. Maybe this can help Omaha get the NSAA baseball championship back.