Noddle chosen to guide Aksarben development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Noddle chosen to guide Aksarben development

Post by eomaha »

Company will guide development of Ak-Sar-Ben land

An organization in charge of remaining Ak-Sar-Ben property has hired a consulting developer to help determine what to do with it.

The Ak-Sar-Ben Future Trust Board of Directors has hired Noddle Companies to help it draw up a plan for about 70 acres.

"This is probably as important a piece of land as there is in the city of Omaha," said Jay Noddle, president of Noddle Companies. "It can be fabulous, and it will be fabulous when it's developed."

Noddle said that his company would develop some of the property but that other developers with special expertise also most likely would participate.

He said he expected multiple uses for the property. Those could include residential, office, retail and civic space such as parks or plazas.

Noddle said the mixed uses would serve the community at large as well as the neighbors, including nearby employers and the University of Nebraska at Omaha and the College of St. Mary.

"And the idea is to find the right combination of uses," he said.

Board Chairman Ken Stinson said Noddle Companies was hired because it is highly respected for its development expertise.

Noddle said the 70 acres are surrounded by Center Street on the south, 63rd Street on the east, Aksarben Drive on the west and about 500 feet south of Pine Street on the north.
zefiris
New to the Neighborhood

Post by zefiris »

I REALLLLYYY hope that UNO and Saint Mary's for that matter get a piece of this land. UNO did great by adding the Kiewit building and i hope they can get some of the land in order to keep expanding the college. I don't want to sound like a "technology is the only way to go guy" but i truly think that there needs to be an increase in technology jobs in Omaha. Those jobs aren't going to move here unless there are qualified individuals here to fill those positions. I think it will be especially important when companies realize that you can pay someone to sit in front of a computer and write code a heck of a lot less in Omaha than you can on the coasts.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I agree.

I dream of a day when Level 3 might return to Omaha... influenced by Walter Scott Jr... content in the increased pool of talent output by the technology institution which he has played such a great role in creating.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I totally agree with you on that. I go to UNO and think it needs some expanding. Omaha is growing fast and so should the Universities. UNO should build more dorms and schooling units on one part of the land and resturaunts/sports bars, and offices on the other. Like Noddle said, a mixed use developement should fit nicely. Although I think most of it should go to UNO. A movie theatre would also go nicely there as well. It should be a place to work, learn, and have fun. Or just put in a skyscraper, that'll satisfy me.
zefiris
New to the Neighborhood

Post by zefiris »

I know the computer engineering department would like to build a "PKI 2" for the engineers over there. From what i understand the only "REAL" competition that UNO has for Computer Engineering is Iowa State which they hope to change over the years. One major problem with Omaha is that there is no "REAL" engineering development when it comes to building computer hardware. It would be great if they could get any big tech company to move an office there. I wouldn't put it past Mr. Scott to convince somone. I've actually talked to Winnie Callahan awhile back and she seemed to imply that aksarben would not just got Commercial but that a part of it would definitely remain with UNO.
greenbuilder
Home Owners Association

Post by greenbuilder »

Great location for a new concept in Omaha "A New Urbanism Neighborhood"
I'm working on a sketch that a I will post a soon as it is done
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I would like to see a little density here. Unfortunately, thus far, it's all come in the form of a large business park. I thought the Capehart project in Bellevue would have been perfect for some New Urbanism... on a grand scale.