Federal Courthouse

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Federal Courthouse

Post by AZCorey »

When I moved away from Omaha over 6 years ago, I thought (keyword: thought) that they were building a NEW Federal building....to replace that horrific Zorinsky bldg....BUT, I see in the gallery renderings that they are merely 'fixing it up'....so, is it the 'Houska Federal Building'?? What's the difference, and why are there no photos of that new building?? It was just starting to be built when I left in '98.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm embarrassed to say, I don't have any photos of the Hruska Federal Courthouse. It is in fact a design by famous I.M. Pei.

(here are some photos I found elsewhere on the web)

The Zorinsky Federal Building has been in limbo for over a year now. The interior has been gutted and remains empty... the exterior will be re-skinned. The complete renovation is to total $50 million. I'm very excited about this... and should make for a much more appealing drive up Capitol Avenue.

AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

I can always count on you!!! Thanks....so, the Hruska Federal Courthouse and the Zorinsky Federal Building are two different things then??? What and where was the old federal courthouse....??? I thought all the federal stuff was in one bldg.....
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

The new building looks to be very nicely done. I wasn't aware the architect was so well known. The only other pei building I know of in Nebraska is the Wells Fargo (formally NBC) center in Lincoln.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The old Federal Office building is on 106 S. 15th St. Built in 1933 on the site of the old Army Building, 11 stories in the Art Deco/moderne style by Kimball, Steele and Sandham.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The old Federal Office Building...

j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

What is the old Fed. building used for now?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It's still office space, it was renovated a relatively short time ago... so it's in great condition ... I'm unaware if there are still federal government offices in there (UP is probably leasing space there!)
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

That's a fine looking building. Does anybody know what the courtrooms look like? Ornate like the foyer or utilitarian like on Court TV?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe that the IRS has offices there - tax inquiry and settlement.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Federal Courthouse

Post by iamjacobm »

15 year bump!

Anyone know if there are some plans on the surface parking lot here? The lot was closed yesterday and some demo is happening today.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 am 15 year bump!

Anyone know if there are some plans on the surface parking lot here? The lot was closed yesterday and some demo is happening today.
I hope a certain someone is waiting in the wings with a certain image...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

They inspect and replace concrete every year at this place. Very thorough government work ... It looks a bit more substantial because they are jackhammer out and replacing stairs this year. I doubt that it is is anything more substantial than that.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

I was at the court this afternoon and asked security what's going on. They said they are just reconfiguring the lot to add more spaces.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

JDJase wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:25 pm I was at the court this afternoon and asked security what's going on. They said they are just reconfiguring the lot to add more spaces.
I drove by the other day, and the entire lot, including trees, curbs, etc. were torn out. So if they're reconfiguring its massive.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

mcarch wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 pm
JDJase wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:25 pm I was at the court this afternoon and asked security what's going on. They said they are just reconfiguring the lot to add more spaces.
I drove by the other day, and the entire lot, including trees, curbs, etc. were torn out. So if they're reconfiguring its massive.
I walked past this today. It's crazy that they just tore up everything up. I would love it if they cleared portion to be redeveloped, particularly what could be a small square parcel south of the church, even though I know that's not happening.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

ita wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm
I walked past this today. It's crazy that they just tore up everything up. I would love it if they cleared portion to be redeveloped, particularly what could be a small square parcel south of the church, even though I know that's not happening.

Here's what they tore down for for a few parking stalls....
Typical Omaha scenario...
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

GetUrban wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:51 pm
ita wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Here's what they tore down for for a few parking stalls....
Typical Omaha scenario...
That is terrible! I did not know what was there before. Despite the progress Omaha makes, it's destructive past is never too far behind it. The Federal Courthouse is a nice facility, but did they really need to take out that building for something like 20 parking spaces?
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

That building was torn down in the last few days/weeks??? Or 15 years ago when this thread started?
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

ScrattyB wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm That building was torn down in the last few days/weeks??? Or 15 years ago when this thread started?
It was torn down in the mid-90s to make way for the courthouse parking lot.
81 Years of History Crumbles in Eight Seconds | May 4, 1997 | Omaha World-Herald (NE)

The Douglas Building had stood at 19th and Douglas Streets for 81 years. Saturday night, it was collapsed by a controlled implosion in just eight seconds.

Historic preservationists who had tried to save the seven - story building argued that the structure was unique, significant. Others called it ugly, an eyesore.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Wow, an eyesore? It couldn't have been that bad.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

The people who said it was an eye-sore like (mayor at the time) Hal Daub were focused on the East (and to a lesser extent North) side of the building which was plain brick as it has previously faced the Hotel Fontenelle which was demo'd a decade prior, and would be the view out of the front of the new courthouse.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

There would have been ways to deal with the unfinished east and north sides of that building, like build a new building right next to it, even a nice-looking parking garage if not office, residential, or retail. They closed-off 18th street for the courthouse project too, IIRC.

One good thing about the site: there is now an unobstructed view of the church to the north, including the steeple that was added not too long ago.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The initial plan for the Federal Courthouse was to destroy the church as well. There were politicians who didn't want to be seen destroying a 100 year-old church for a parking lot who intervened and stopped it.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Pavement going in today after a complete tear out of the parking lot. They may have gained a few parking stalls overall in the process. But wow! A lot of work and expense for the few stalls that have been gained. There is no one like the government to make sure that your parking stall is in tip top shape.