Official: Central Park Plaza rennovation

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks for the updaye thenewguy.  The above posts verifies what a guy I was talking to tonight said.  He is rather well connected in downtown, and his belief is that by the end of the 1st quarter of 2008, true Class A office space downtown will be severely limited.  Expansion by a number of firms will eat up any available Class A space.  While this will be good for occupancy rates, it will make downtown look somewhat unattractive to anyone wanting to relocate, or continue expansion.  

His assessment was as follows...Woodman has little space to offer, both First National towers are bursting at the seams, UP has already placed some overflow at CCP, the CCP will have most of it's space eaten up by either existing tenants, or others waiting in the wings for the current shuffling of existing tenants to new floors, (except for the nasty 2nd floor of both towers, which needs a major redesign to be seen as attractive to any tenant), and Landmark space is pretty much turned over as it becomes available.

His parting words were..."if I had the money, I'd be putting up some new Class A office space".
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

OmahaChef wrote:Thanks for the updaye thenewguy.  The above posts verifies what a guy I was talking to tonight said.  He is rather well connected in downtown, and his belief is that by the end of the 1st quarter of 2008, true Class A office space downtown will be severely limited.  Expansion by a number of firms will eat up any available Class A space.  While this will be good for occupancy rates, it will make downtown look somewhat unattractive to anyone wanting to relocate, or continue expansion.  

His assessment was as follows...Woodman has little space to offer, both First National towers are bursting at the seams, UP has already placed some overflow at CCP, the CCP will have most of it's space eaten up by either existing tenants, or others waiting in the wings for the current shuffling of existing tenants to new floors, (except for the nasty 2nd floor of both towers, which needs a major redesign to be seen as attractive to any tenant), and Landmark space is pretty much turned over as it becomes available.

His parting words were..."if I had the money, I'd be putting up some new Class A office space".
Maybe Nestreet should include office space in their North Downtown project too...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I can vouch for the Landmark Center. I know we are gettting another two floors.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Good god somebody build a 60 story tower!!!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

thenewguy wrote:Quick update:  buddy of mine said that they still have 4 floors in the south tower, could remain permanent.  he also said that there are 4 or so floors that the Army Corp is utilizing, which would leave only 6 floors for everyone else (4 Firstcomp, 4 Army, 1 Sullivan's = 6 left, with the tower being 15 floors).   He said that it is still 75-80% occupied, there wasn't much left empty for very long...so it seemed.  I wish i worked downtown, it would be awesome.
KPMG had 14 & 15 in the South Tower when I left.  As far as I know, they are still there.

The 3 questions I would like to know are:

1. Have they upgraded those POS elevators?  I think I could use a rope and pull myself up by hand faster than those things were.
2. Have they done anything with the walkway to the parking garage?  This thing leaked water whenever it rained and somehow manage to defy the laws of physics and be 20 degrees cooler than outside in the winter.  I think the city may own the walkway, though, which tells me NOTHING has been done with it.
3. I see they STILL have the USA Today newspaper stand in the walkway.  Do they fill it?  When we moved in there over 5 years ago, it was there and it was NEVER once filled with newspapers.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The elevators are next on the list, according to the article.  I worked there from 2000 - 2002 and the wait in the lobby sometimes was forever.  I was on the 7th floor south, and most often we went to meetings on other floors by using the stairs.  Otherwise, you might be 10 minutes late.

Newstreet does plan to include office as well as apartments, retail, entertainment, etc. but I suspect it is on the scale as the American National building.  Small scale for small tenants.  There was no mention of any substantial office building, as the proposed corporate campus to the east would be dedicated to that kind of usage.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

They were doing something near/with the elevators a month or so ago when i was there; they had the south elevators in the north tower shut down, and they were taking out paneling, etc.  I dont know if it was somethin cosmetic or if it was more substantial, but that's what i could tell from what i saw.  As far as the tunnel goes, they had it shut down a week or so ago, for what reason i dont know.  I just know that one day it was rainy, my fiance said there was someone that said they had to go around and couldn't use the tunnel.  Maybe they were fixin' both?   Also, which article are you guys referring to??  
The elevators are next on the list, according to the article
and forgive me...i think i may know what you're referring to, i may just need some refreshing
Newstreet does plan to include office as well as apartments, retail, entertainment, etc. but I suspect it is on the scale as the American National building.  Small scale for small tenants.  There was no mention of any substantial office building, as the proposed corporate campus to the east would be dedicated to that kind of usage.
I must have missed something, i haven't been able to get back and read all the posts the last little bit...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

As far as the elevator and tunnel go, i guess they were just minor fixes.  I'm told the elevator is still slow, and the tunnel still leaks a little bit.  But it's not quite as slow...not quite as leaky.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

OK so the minor fixes for their elevator were apparently preparations for the major fix.  Not sure exactly when but that's the idea
NDizona
Library Board

HELP

Post by NDizona »

someone tell me the name of this building

222 S 15th Street

I think its called Twin Plaza....any other data you might have on it as well..

Please!  Thanks.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Central Park Plaza.
http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 0311210000

They're DTO's favorite buildings....ever. :lol:
Last edited by the1wags on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

DAMN IT

I can't believe I forgot that

Thanks!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

There's no thread for this, but I wonder when Daub is going to announce the tower he speculated?  It'd be cool to have (2) 25 story buildings for a little height and a little density, rather than (1) 40 story tower.  Seeing as how the old world herald site is near central park plaza it would fit in well.  And, it would give some much needed office space.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:There's no thread for this, but I wonder when Daub is going to announce the tower he speculated?  It'd be cool to have (2) 25 story buildings for a little height and a little density, rather than (1) 40 story tower.  Seeing as how the old world herald site is near central park plaza it would fit in well.  And, it would give some much needed office space.
Search "Daub Highrise" and you easily find this:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... b+highrise
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

this thread probably saved me a day of phone calls and general research

I love you guys :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yes CCP are my FAVORITE buildings DT. I love how they tore out the only redeeming quality of the building, the commercial space on 16th St, and replaced it with a parking garage. They are just great for DT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
thenewguy wrote:There's no thread for this, but I wonder when Daub is going to announce the tower he speculated?  It'd be cool to have (2) 25 story buildings for a little height and a little density, rather than (1) 40 story tower.  Seeing as how the old world herald site is near central park plaza it would fit in well.  And, it would give some much needed office space.
Search "Daub Highrise" and you easily find this:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... b+highrise
Hunh.  You're shittin' me.  I even looked and didn't see it in the rumors thread.  Good thing i utilize the search engine eh?
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Speaking of CPP, I was looking at the property on the assessor's site, some of us were complaining about our property tax valuations going up... CPP's valuation went up 20 MILLION DOLLARS!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Note to self: "Don't add a high end steak house to my house." :;):
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Speaking of CPP, I was looking at the property on the assessor's site, some of us were complaining about our property tax valuations going up... CPP's valuation went up 20 MILLION DOLLARS!
:)

they have to get their $$ from somewhere - might as well be them and not the West O's.

That increase in valuation might have something to do with request.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

The search button :)

oh the goodness
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Official: Central Park Plaza rennovation

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.satprnews.com/2016/06/08/oma ... new-brand/
The Omaha skyline will soon be decorated with a new logo. Markel Corporation will install its corporate emblem on the north tower of Central Park Plaza, home to more than 200 employees of its specialty insurance division.

Markel has operated in Omaha since 2010, following the acquisition of FirstComp, a leading workers compensation and business owner insurer FOCused on small businesSES. During the first phase of the acquisition, the workers compensation division continued to operate under the FirstComp brand. In 2012 the name was transitioned to Markel FirstComp.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good to hear it won't be plain like it is for long.

Here is Markel's logo:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

An 8 year old Thread Revival!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Cool. I did love that FirstComp logo. It just added a spunk, or peppiness, or something, to the Downtown scene at night, I thought. It looked like a fun company with a fun logo -- like Hayneedle.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

CPP
Attachments
CPP.jpg
CPP.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yay? I'm happy there is something up there again, but that has to be one of the blandest signs downtown.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RNcyanide wrote:Yay? I'm happy there is something up there again, but that has to be one of the blandest signs downtown.
When I first saw it I thought it was Merkel as in Angela Merkel. I can see her now waiving in her paint suit on top of the building. Hehe

All in all I'm happy the building has a logo on it.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm happy, too. I like it. There's something about those twins reaching outward, with their slanting, diagonal angles, and a company logo being presented at the top front & sides. It just makes it more exciting, imo.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.