Official: Central Park Plaza rennovation

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

"Steakhouses" = 3 by my count:

Paxton
Sullivan's
Omaha Prime

I imagine an argument could be made for Nick & Tony's as well, although I would lump them in more with the Flatiron, Passport and V Mertz type places.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Went in tonight for martinis and wine.  I thought about a $.50 PBR draw, but thought Jeff might catch me and make fun of me, so I had a $300 Belvedere and said a little prayer for him.

Anyway, totally different from the Paxton.  We did not have dinner, but the atmosphere in the bar was more in line with...  say, a cross between M's and the Green Onion.  Service was good if, frankly, they didn't quite know what they were doing yet.  I ordered Hendricks and was told twice they did not have it, even though I could see it on the shelf.  oh well...  I fault management for that one.  The servers were very, very, VERY nice... and their personalities were good, too. (wink wink nudge nudge)  I'd like to suggest the Red-Headed Trinity.  (Hint: not a drink.)

Bar had room for about 35, patio roughly the same again plus 10.  My biggest complaint was the windows being open allowing the smoke in.  Maybe I'll just go in the winter.

Drinks were very reasonably priced.  Wine not so much.  The dinner entree menu (which we did not try, but plan to) was between $19 and $39, plus a la carte.  I have no idea where the OWH got their "$20-$55", unless they were counting the a la carte.  Whatever, this is a group dinner palce and a date drink place - especially if you're over 29.  Having had dinner at the one in Chicago and loving it, I can't wait for the opportunity to go in this one and see how it measures up.

Short answer:  this area is turning into the non-20 something area for downtown, and this will be a major catalyst for the push back to 16th. They are a wonderful, vibrant, welcome addition to downtown.  Great place for the after work, after dinner and after Holland/Orpheum/Qwest crowd.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Short answer:  this area is turning into the non-20 something area for downtown, and this will be a major catalyst for the push back to 16th. They are a wonderful, vibrant, welcome addition to downtown.  Great place for the after work, after dinner and after Holland/Orpheum/Qwest crowd.
I really like their choice of location. It is actually closer to the CBD than the old market but in a way they are in the middle of everything tying it all together.

What were they charging for a South Dakota martini?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

[quote="Big E"]Went in tonight for martinis and wine.  I thought about a $.50 PBR draw, but thought Jeff might catch me and make fun of me, so I had a $300 Belvedere and said a little prayer for him.

/quote]

Oh yeah. Well we stood across the street from Sullivan's and drunkely yelled at b!tches after the bars closed. :;):

Thank you E for your high brow dinning review. Coming next week: DTO Luv's review of the the new Taco Bell Taquitos. :)
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not sure what a SoDak martini is, but I'm sure I'll regret asking, so...

-Big E
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not sure what a SoDak martini is, but I'm sure I'll regret asking, so...

DTO: so how come I'm reading that post at just after 11 PM?  ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:
Short answer:  this area is turning into the non-20 something area for downtown, and this will be a major catalyst for the push back to 16th. They are a wonderful, vibrant, welcome addition to downtown.  Great place for the after work, after dinner and after Holland/Orpheum/Qwest crowd.

-Big E

I really like this part of Downtown too. Especially since it doesn't have a name. I can just call it Downtown. :) I don't know that's all the way for non-somethings. Go to the Jimmy John's between 1and 3am and it's a much different scene that the Holland/Orpheum crowd. Not alot of blue hairs getting in fights and holding their friends hair while they throw up with the ghetto bird hovering around while pink suited pimps sell Mary Kay. :) My drunken crew usually adds to the ambiance. From what I hear me especially. "10! 10! YES!!" :lol: :;):
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Not sure what a SoDak martini is, but I'm sure I'll regret asking, so...

-Big E
A Coors Light with an olive in it... :P
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:Not sure what a SoDak martini is, but I'm sure I'll regret asking, so...

-Big E
A Coors Light with an olive in it... :P
A Sandhills Martini: a beer with a jalapeno-stuffed olive in it.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

So how do you make an Omaha martini, or how about an Iowa martini?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omaproud wrote:So how do you make an Omaha martini
FALLSTAF.... Straingt up
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:Coming next week: DTO Luv's review of the the new Taco Bell Taquitos. :)
Taquitos?  I want some Taquitos!

-Big E

(sorry, took awhile to find the image)
Stable genius.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Central Park Plaza Towers in Lights!

Post by OmahaChef »

Yep, it's true.  The towers are both lighted as of tonight.  I was really hoping for this as they looked like two large black boxes at night.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And of course none of the city cams are pointed that way.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have a lovely view of the |expletive| end of the buildings from home. I can't really tell anything is different. Weren't they lit up before? I seem to remember them being lit up before many of the FNC and UP tenants moved out and then they stopped lighting them.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They were not lit up on the fourth:

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm talking it's been a good few years that they used to be lit up.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

When I worked in the South Tower in 2000-2002, they were not lit up.  It would have had to have been before that.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
SolitaryMan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SolitaryMan »

I went to Sullivan's last night for drinks.  What a cool place - it's unlike anything Omaha has downtown and I can't really think of something like it elsewhere in the City.  I did not eat any food, but what I saw looked very good.  The lounge was crowded, largely with business traveler looking types and I'd be curious to see what it's like on a weekend evening.  This is a great place to go, though it is a little loud in the lounge, the live music is fun and the whole atmosphere is very unique.  Go check it out because we need this place to make it as it will only help that part of downtown grow as more businesses and restaurants are attracted to that area.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The lights were on for a few days then off.  Apparently they did not like the way the beams of light were placed.  They cam back on now, and light up most of the front.  Gives it kind of an interesting pattern, not unlike the China flag during WWII.  It is kind of a starburst design now.  Definitely preferable to the black box look they had before.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Here' s horrible pic I snapped the other night walking between bars.

DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Hmmm...doesn't look anything like that from here.  Those disposable cameras are not yet known for therer suburb quality I see.  :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:lol: Well I may have bumped into one of the lights on the way back home.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Pub crawls can be hadzardous to your photo shoots!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaChef wrote: Those disposable cameras are not yet known for therer suburb quality I see.  :)
Hmmm, so what exactly constitutes "suburb quality"?

:)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It looked really cool the other night, the lights were way more spaced out than they appear in DTO's picture.

However, they don't seem to be on most nights?
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

It was a bit hit or miss last week, since they were trying to set the beams the way they wanted them.  Since Sunday they have been on every night.  I think they have the lighting set the way they want it now.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Sullivan's has steak and swagger
Nothing says "impress the client" like Sullivan's Steakhouse.

Something of a shrine to meat, money and machismo, this swank new downtown restaurant seems designed to make a rich guy feel capable and confident and to make his date feel pampered (and, possibly, broke and underdressed). . . .

Sullivan's may not be a total knockout just yet. But for visiting tycoons and downtown diners with some cash to burn, it's definitely a contender.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I try not to be a total OWH basher, as we do use a lot of their content on this forum, but take about running a couple of months late on this one:

Central Park Plaza adds a sunrise effect illuminating its two towers

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10176302
Downtown Omaha's nighttime skyline just got a little sunnier.

Central Park Plaza, the V-shaped red-brick building that faces 15th Street between Douglas and Farnam Streets, has new lights that create a sunrise effect on its two 15-story towers.

Lights have illuminated older downtown buildings, such as the Woodmen Tower, and newer buildings like the First National Tower.

But Central Park Plaza, which was built in 1982, has never used lights to feature its own unique architecture, said Brian Morrissey, senior vice president of real estate for Security National Properties, which owns and manages the building.
The good news:
The company spent more than $5 million upgrading tenant spaces.

The building was 22 percent occupied when Security National Properties took ownership in 2004; today it is 88 percent occupied, Morrissey said.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was thinking the same thing.

And that first line makes it sound like they JUST turned the new lighting scheme on last night.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:

The building was 22 percent occupied when Security National Properties took ownership in 2004; today it is 88 percent occupied, Morrissey said.
So is this even after Kutak Rock moved back in to the Omaha Building?  If so, that is really amazing.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Brad wrote:

So is this even after Kutak Rock moved back in to the Omaha Building?  If so, that is really amazing.
Given that the lights are a several month old story, I wouldn't be surprised if the occupancy #s are too.  I know several people that work in the building, and they said Kutak was one of the biggest tennants, so I'd have to believe this was pre move-out.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

It appears several of the former Kutak Rock floors are undergoing gutting/renovation for new tenant use.  Usually in office buildings a gutting isn't done until someone has leased the space.  The 12th floor of the North Tower had construction lights in it last week, and this week the 13th Floor does also.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

A coworker of mine also has some inside intel to the CPP tenants. I think it may be expansion of a local company that already has a major presence Downtown but didn't have the foresight to build big enough the first time around.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:A coworker of mine also has some inside intel to the CPP tenants. I think it may be expansion of a local company that already has a major presence Downtown but didn't have the foresight to build big enough the first time around.
Everyone....

UP
ConAgra
First National
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would say the UP guess isn't far off. It may be someone else but my coworker mentioned them as putting new tenants in there in the past.
DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'm not sure if everyone knows or doesn't know, but First Comp is moving all of their space out of the south tower into the north tower, making the north half almost entirely First Comp.  I have several friends that work in CPP (including my fiance) that mentioned this to me months ago.  There are some law firms that they said were interested in the space, as well as some other tenants that are already in the building that are looking to expand.  I dont remember the names of the businesses, as they had mentioned it months ago.  I asked that they find out (as well as what % of the building was occupied) and they said they'd get back to me asap.  I know that with Sullivan's being in there, it has done wonders for law firms and others wanting to get into the space, because it offers a great showcase for them to take clients out to dinner.  It's hard to book reservations there, due to price and exclusivity.  Keith Urban had apparently rented the entire place when he was here late this past summer (at a minimum of almost $50/plate), and others have done something similar (First Comp had a string of several good months--rented the bar and had free drinks offered to all their employees).  Every time i have been there, the starbuck's in the north tower was pretty hoppin' too, i had to wait in line every time to get my bagel.  I'll let you know what i find out, it appears to be turning into a pretty nice little piece of property.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info newguy!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Quick update:  buddy of mine said that they still have 4 floors in the south tower, could remain permanent.  he also said that there are 4 or so floors that the Army Corp is utilizing, which would leave only 6 floors for everyone else (4 Firstcomp, 4 Army, 1 Sullivan's = 6 left, with the tower being 15 floors).   He said that it is still 75-80% occupied, there wasn't much left empty for very long...so it seemed.  I wish i worked downtown, it would be awesome.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah it is pretty sweet. The lunch selection alone makes it worth while. :)
DTO