Official: Central Park Plaza rennovation

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

adam186 wrote:Does anybody have pics of the progress?
Well - I just so happened to have taken one on my way to see the GLM Island:

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Wow, that's weird. :lol: Thanks Coyote.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Courtyard getting $500,000 new look
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2242666

BY DEBORAH SHANAHAN

The result will be better lighting, new stained and patterned concrete with a built-in heater to melt snow, new planters and plantings and outdoor seating areas for the Starbucks coffee shop and a new steakhouse scheduled to open in the spring, said Brian Morrissey, a senior vice president with Security National Properties.

Lonestar Chief Executive Jamie Coulter said the plan is for a restaurant that will seat 300 people, plus a wine cellar that would seat up to 70. He said construction of the mahogany-heavy, 1940s Chicago-style steakhouse should begin within 60 days, with the restaurant opening after six months of construction.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not bad. Not bad at all. Do we know the name of this new Chicago-stlye restaurant?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Coyote wrote:Not bad. Not bad at all. Do we know the name of this new Chicago-stlye restaurant?
Here you go:
Morrissey said a Sullivan's Steakhouse, one of a line of restaurants owned by Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon Inc. in Wichita, Kan., has signed a lease.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

A little extra from the article:
Next up: a remodeled lobby. Morrissey said he negotiated for months with a potential tenant interested in remodeling and using some of the lobby space, "but that didn't work out." So a previously planned lobby renovation is back on and will begin after the first of the year, he said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I do not know much about Sullivan's Steakhouse - but I hope it is a higher quality version of Lone Star. Given it is a "mahogany-heavy, 1940s Chicago-style" restaurant I will hold my opinion until later. I would not have thought of a steakhouse at Central Park - but - lets see.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Cool. Suddenly, this typically 'street level unfriendly' downtown Omaha office building, is going to have evening night/weekend activity. I assume they're going to open up the new parking garage space to restaurant patrons as well.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That rendering looks great!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Still not my favorite buildings but they are turning around.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

DTO Luv wrote:Still not my favorite buildings but they are turning around.
You've come a long way from wanting them bulldozed D'Shawn..

:wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Sullivan's Steakhouse

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

It appears that the renovation has begun for this new Steakhouse in the Central Park Tower
bradical
Home Owners Association

Starbucks Downtown

Post by bradical »

According to starbucks.com, there is a location at 15th and Douglas.

Is that inside the UP Building, or where is it located?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

It's in the north tower of Central Park Plaza.
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

the1wags wrote:It's in the north tower of Central Park Plaza.
On their concourse level, is it accessible from the street?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its right on the corner of the north tower.  Its been there for a while now.
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

Brad wrote:Its right on the corner of the north tower.  Its been there for a while now.
Thanks. I never make it down there to know where anything would be.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

Brad wrote:Its been discusses before also:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... +starbucks
Great! Thanks.
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

Ugh - Why Starbucks?  Why not go to MJ Java which is right down the street and support some place local   They don't charge you for wifii!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Because some people like Starbucks?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

the1wags wrote:Because some people like Starbucks?
Exactly..

Count me as one who likes SBUX. It's not a sin..Really..

:;):  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Pece
Go Cowboys!
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

I actually don't like Coffee period. But SBUX makes some of the best Hot Chocolate ever.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

How long before all coffee shops are called Starbucks regardless of affiliation, ala Xerox or Kleenex?

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't care for Starbucks and rarely go there, but I'm happy to have them as a downtown tenant.

What I most hate about Starbucks, is that if you just want COFFEE (yeah, remember, that one thing you supposedly sell) all they have is a burnt, bitter, dark French roast.  But I think the saddest thing is that young people like to go to Starbucks because "it's cool" or they've heard that "coffee is cool" or that you're "mature" or "urban" if you go to Starbucks (even though Starbucks is pretty much the McDonnalds of coffee), and a whole generation of our nation's youth are growing up thinking that Starbucks coffee is how coffee is supposed to taste, and that's just really sad.

:;):
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't care for Starbucks and rarely go there, but I'm happy to have them as a downtown tenant.

What I most hate about Starbucks, is that if you just want COFFEE (yeah, remember, that one thing you supposedly sell) all they have is a burnt, bitter, dark French roast.  But I think the saddest thing is that young people like to go to Starbucks because "it's cool" or they've heard that "coffee is cool" or that you're "mature" or "urban" if you go to Starbucks (even though Starbucks is pretty much the McDonnalds of coffee), and a whole generation of our nation's youth are growing up thinking that Starbucks coffee is how coffee is supposed to taste, and that's just really sad.

:;):
How is coffee suppose to taste?

Generally when I goto a SBUX, people are ordering something a little more exotic than a blan coffee with creme.

That's where the true beauty of the SBUX Business Plans comes into full fruition. Offer a premium product, relatively quickly, for people on the go, jack the prices, and be as present and prominent as possible.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Two more things:
1.  Starbucks is known for their Customer Service.
2.  They are always in the top 10 places to work.  They treat their Employees good.

I like the fact that the employees at Starbucks are way more professional than some of the other piercing filled, javelin in the tong, ring through the nose FREAKS at some of the other coffee shops in town.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

are way more professional than some of the other piercing filled, javelin in the tong, ring through the nose FREAKS at some of the other coffee shops in town.
So not professional if you have piercings?  or  tattoos?  or different colored/funky styled hair? :shock:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:
are way more professional than some of the other piercing filled, javelin in the tong, ring through the nose FREAKS at some of the other coffee shops in town.
So not professional if you have piercings?  or  tattoos?  or different colored/funky styled hair? :shock:
What did you say, I couldn't understand you.  You have that big piece of metal in your tong.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

don't you mean tongue?   :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Two more things:
1.  Starbucks is known for their Customer Service.
2.  They are always in the top 10 places to work.  They treat their Employees good.

I like the fact that the employees at Starbucks are way more professional...
On balance, I agree with you Brad. The employees at the Starbucks I frequent are pleasant, friendly, and know how to take care of their regular customers..I've NEVER had to complain..Admittedly though, I'm really not the complaining type anyway..

Regarding their product. I drink ALOT of Cafe' Americano's (Espresso shots forced into hot water). I'm Italian and have been drinking espresso since I was at least 16. Much (not all) of the espresso I've sampled from other chains and local coffeehouses (and in other cities) is simply UNDRINKABLE..I wont name any names, but YUCK!..

Starbucks espresso is consistently good and, in my opinion, does not taste 'burnt' at all..

Plus, SBUX is convenient. There are 4 located within a 4 mile radius of my house..With one less than 6 blocks away..

Starbucks has earned my dollar..And until further notice, will continue to do so..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:don't you mean tongue?   :lol:
yes... I SUCK at spelling, always have.  I had something different and the spell checker came up with that and I just ran with it.  

I can draw something, take a photograph of something, paint something... but I probably can't spell that something.   Its sad that I know that there are 43,560 Sq feet in an Acre and 5280 Feet in a mile and I can't spell tongue...
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

Whats even worse, is that this place has a built in spell checker that screams at your spelling mistakes.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I used to work at two different local coffee shops, and thus I used to hate starbucks. But I don't anymore.

Starbuck's employees are always so happy when you go in. Why? Probably because they get paid better than most other coffee shop employees and get good benefits. Plus starbucks uses mostly fair-traded coffee now. And since it's been shown that starbucks doesn't actually put any local coffee shops out of business...well I don't really see a problem.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't have a "problem" with Starbucks, except that I don't like their coffee.  They've done a lot to improve working conditions and their business tactics, and I applaud that.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

more on Sullivan's from the city Council agenda.  224 Douglas street.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... rk/592.pdf
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

T.M.I.  Particularly the SSN of the business owner.  The city should not be allowing such information onto the Internet.  Have they not learned of Identity theft?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I walked into Sullivan's today. It is very close to opening, lady I spoke with said they are looking at the 30th. The place is crazy high end with dark wood work throughout, 40's photos all over, 1st class looking place. Wine lovers should go crazy there because the wine racks (one upstairs and 1 down) are about 25-30ft long and 10ft tall. Prolly hold 5000 bottles of wine.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New steakhouse ready to open downtown
Sullivan's Steakhouse is set to open next week at 222 S. 15th St., just across the courtyard from Starbucks in the Central Park Towers. . .

. . . the restaurant aims for upscale, with fresh flowers and black linen on the tables, a wall of wine, a fireplace on the patio, a lower level private party room built around a glass-enclosed wine cellar and live jazz nightly in the lounge from 7 p.m. to close.

On the menu: hand-cut steaks and chops, live Maine lobster and other seafood flown in every two days, appetizers, salads, desserts and more. . .

Rockwood said prices range from about $24 to $55 for entrées, with lighter fare available in the lounge for $8 to $14. The restaurant also offers an all-night happy hour of sorts Thursday and Sunday evenings, with $5 drinks and half-price appetizers.

Starting Monday, Sullivan's Steakhouse will be open for dinner from 5 p.m. to at least 10 p.m. seven days a week. It will add weekday-only lunch service, starting Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The lounge is to be open nightly until 1 a.m.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

sounds nice...how many steakhouses does that make it for DT now?