Old Market Tenant news

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It was one of the most beautiful restaurants I have ever dined in.  The food was good,occasionally great.  Prices were high by Omaha standards.  They never adapted to changing tastes, and they found themselves competing with many other expensive restaurants that had menus more familiar to the American palate.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think they closed it right before me and my boyfriend's 2nd anniversary. We were both devastated. But then we discovered Vivace.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Old Market Tenant news

Post by iamjacobm »

So there is a skate shop on 13th Street just north of Jackson with no signage, anyone know how long it has been there?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:So there is a skate shop on 13th Street just north of Jackson with no signage, anyone know how long it has been there?
I am assuming you are referring to the building that was most recently a used furniture store. The current store, I believe has Van's signs in the window when I have walked by. I have seen it there for the past 2-3 months, but it seems like it is never open.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Indian Oven closes, yet another staple of the district gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

No way! What happened to the Speakeasy attached then?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

iamjacobm wrote:Indian Oven closes, yet another staple of the district gone.
Another gorgeous restaurant with inconsistent (at best) food and service. I hope that a quality restaurant operation will take that space.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When I went food and service were always good.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Indian Oven closes, yet another staple of the district gone.
Another gorgeous restaurant with inconsistent (at best) food and service.  I hope that a quality restaurant operation will take that space.
Been there a couple of times. Fair. Have to say that the OM has to compete with the whole city. In some genres, the OM will not be able to compete. People are just not going to drive from 180th and Pack a Lunch to eat Indian or Mexican when there are literally dozens of equivalent or better places on the way.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Restaurants come and they go. It's sad to see it go, but then, we know that a new restaurant will come along to take its place. It's how the whole darn human comedy perpetuates itself. Westward the wagons across the sands of time. Shoot there I go rambling again.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:So there is a skate shop on 13th Street just north of Jackson with no signage, anyone know how long it has been there?
I am assuming you are referring to the building that was most recently a used furniture store.  The current store, I believe has Van's signs in the window when I have walked by.  I have seen it there for the past 2-3 months, but it seems like it is never open.
http://omahamagazine.com/2014/12/skateb ... derground/
Silo barely looks open. The only sign indicating its presence at 517 S. 13th Street is a small sticker that reads “SILO” in black, block letters. The sign, which sits slightly askew, is pasted on a glass door beneath a blank, gray marquee.

It’s intentionally vague. Enticingly exclusive. Silo, a skateboard shop which officially opened in June, doesn’t even list a telephone number.

“It’s almost like going back to beeper days,” says store owner, Brant Van Boening.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Speaking of 13th Street, local Omaha Photographer Scott Papek is going to open a gallery in the building south of Julio's. The building that use the be the adult store.

Looking at a Feb opening. He has already had a store in the Westroads Mall for the past 14+ months.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Brad wrote:Speaking of 13th Street, local Omaha Photographer Scott Papek is going to open a gallery in the building south of Julio's.  The building that use the be the adult store.

Looking at a Feb opening.  He has already had a store in the Westroads Mall for the past 14+ months.
so the tattoo shop that's had signs up on the building for the past month is not happening?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

justnick wrote:
Brad wrote:Speaking of 13th Street, local Omaha Photographer Scott Papek is going to open a gallery in the building south of Julio's.  The building that use the be the adult store.

Looking at a Feb opening.  He has already had a store in the Westroads Mall for the past 14+ months.
so the tattoo shop that's had signs up on the building for the past month is not happening?
Not according to Scott.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Noticed today that Old Market Sundries is moving into a shared space with Tannenbaum. Any idea if something new is going in the corner bay where Sundries was?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Red Square moved out yesterday. New tenant has already claimed the space, but I am not sure who.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Red Square moved out yesterday.  New tenant has already claimed the space, but I am not sure who.
Red Square, as in that funky Russian nic-nac place on the SW corner right above OMA, that for years I would walk into and think how cute but never purchase anything? That Red Square?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I bought a cool T-34 t-shirt there... sort of a WWII history freak.

I always found it annoying that the shop was inaccessible from the passageway... what was up with that? Refused to participate in the passageway upkeep association or something?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I always found it annoying that the shop was inaccessible from the passageway... what was up with that?  Refused to participate in the passageway upkeep association or something?
I always assumed it was a security deal. We have a fair amount of shop lifters in passageway, some work in groups and its had to keep an eye on everything.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Noticed today that Old Market Sundries is moving into a shared space with Tannenbaum. Any idea if something new is going in the corner bay where Sundries was?
Walked by today and the name of the new place is Dolci. It says Italian desserts, ice cream, coffee, and tea.

Here is their website:

http://www.dolcioldmarket.com
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Pals for five decades unite for sweet taste of success with new dessert shop in Old Market
Called Dolci, which in Italian means sweets, the shop’s menu includes a wide range of flavored ice cream, espresso and Italian desserts such as tortes and biscotti whipped up by two local pastry chefs.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like Julios in the Old Market is closing. The building was recently sold. They are going to remain open through August 29. The Old Market location has been open since 1977. The west Omaha location will remain open.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like Julios in the Old Market is closing. The building was recently sold. They are going to remain open through August 29. The Old Market location has been open since 1977. The west Omaha location will remain open.
I use to like Julio's back in the 90's, their food was good even though the restaurants need a refresh even back then. I don't think they have refreshed their menu or the restaurants since 1977.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Julio's out west got a rehab recently. I think the Flagship Geoup bought that one?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Any word on what is going into the former Julio's location? Did they close because of business or because the building was purchased and their lease ran out?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Any word on what is going into the former Julio's location? Did they close because of business or because the building was purchased and their lease ran out?
Not sure, but I think they closed because the building was sold and their lease ran out. There is nothing going in yet that I am aware of.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

We went to go eat and they were closed the staff at the tattoo place told us that it was sold and they think a Chinese or similar type restaurant would be going in
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cubby's adding an outdoor seating area on their Jackson frontage.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

O'Connors to close.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:33 pm O'Connors to close.
Oh no!!! Where where will we go before the St Pat’s Parade???
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

That place never changed or tried to set itself apart. Just a bar, no entertainment, ambience was meh. It was only a matter of time before it lost to more exciting competition.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Louie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 am That place never changed or tried to set itself apart. Just a bar, no entertainment, ambience was meh. It was only a matter of time before it lost to more exciting competition.
It was the best bar when I was 21.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

obvious2677 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:27 am
Louie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 am That place never changed or tried to set itself apart. Just a bar, no entertainment, ambience was meh. It was only a matter of time before it lost to more exciting competition.
It was the best bar when I was 21.
I remember about 5-6 years ago it was quite popular. But there was no real draw to them. No unique feature. It was popular because it was cheap and it had very sociable bartenders.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Something called Monster Club Pub and Grub going in here.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Please no hip hop club! The world "club" just seems to bring trouble.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Based on the appearance of the sign, I highly doubt that it will be.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Liquor license request ties back to Drastic Plastic.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Monster Club, a new horror-themed bar and grill, is headed to the Old Market
The restaurant is taking over the former O'Connor's space at 1217 Howard St., and will have the same owners as Drastic Plastic, said Neil Azevedo, Drastic's spokesperson.

The Monster Club will be horror-themed, he said, not a haunted house.

"It's going to be more of a museum experience, with different sorts of props honoring the fun element of horror over the years."

He said statues and posters, among other ephemera, will decorate the space. The owners plan to serve a family-friendly menu of "elevated pub food," and then, after 9 p.m. gear toward adults. The restaurant will serve a full menu.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 pm
The Monster Club, a new horror-themed bar and grill, is headed to the Old Market
The restaurant is taking over the former O'Connor's space at 1217 Howard St., and will have the same owners as Drastic Plastic, said Neil Azevedo, Drastic's spokesperson.

The Monster Club will be horror-themed, he said, not a haunted house.

"It's going to be more of a museum experience, with different sorts of props honoring the fun element of horror over the years."

He said statues and posters, among other ephemera, will decorate the space. The owners plan to serve a family-friendly menu of "elevated pub food," and then, after 9 p.m. gear toward adults. The restaurant will serve a full menu.
If the staff are not in monster outfits, ie. warewolves, vampires, Frankenstein's monsters, mummies, etc., it's a huge missed opportunity to make it really stand out considering their theme.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ita wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 pmIf the staff are not in monster outfits, ie. warewolves, vampires, Frankenstein's monsters, mummies, etc., it's a huge missed opportunity to make it really stand out considering their theme.
Agreed. My brother used to date a local actress who played Lucille Ball as a waitress in an Old Market restaurant. Inevitably she would get orders wrong and do her best acting. Other local actors would also play parts... I forget what place that was, this would have been late 80's.