Old Market Tenant news

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Old Market Tenant news

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Ok, I'm not thrilled with whats moving in to the space being vacated by "Ashley's collectables".

DSR Sports is moving from next door and expanding into the larger space.

Is there really a big need for this type of business in the Old Market?

http://store.dsrpowersports.com/
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uhhh... national youth oriented retail? Sure hate to have that in the Old Market.

I'm not sure why you're less than thrilled. Granted, I'll likely never shop there either, but that doesn't mean it's not good to have a youth draw in the area. Give them something to do besides skateboard next to my bedroom window.

-Big E
Stable genius.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

daily needs retail as opposed to touristy shops? isn't that what everyone here wants downtown?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Leather-racing-motorcycle jackets and helmets are considered daily needs retail?
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

:lol:

Forgive me, I assumed they were a general sporting goods store. It's an interesting niche nonetheless, I'm sure some of the tourists will be interested in. ;)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

No, its not a daily needs store by any means. As a guy big into motorcycles I find myself saying "do we really need another antique/cutsey gift shop?" Come to the old market, where you can choose from the world's largest Ann Geddy selection between 500 stores in a 10 block area. Its the mixture of shopping; kites, art, music, clothes and even motorcycle apparel which makes the area attractive and unique.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Daily needs retail won't (likely) ever make it into the Old Market, nor should they. Save that for the 16th street corridor, and North Downtown development... maybe even 13th and 10th street south of downtown.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't care about dirt bikes and x-treme sports, etc., but I have always appreacited this store's presence in the Old Market. Like people have pointed out, it diversifies the market and is as valuable an outlet in the OM as it would be somewhere out in the burbs. I'm happy that they will be expanding into the larger Ashley Collectables space.

I wonder what will replace their old storefront?

Now, the upper floors of the building that used to house Ashley Collectibles just need to be turned into apartments. That building, along with the building with Delice on the ground level, are a couple of the GLARING wastes of space in the OM. Spaces with HUGE potential that are just sitting collecting dust.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Old Market mix includes a bookstore again
Janice Podsada WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The eclectic Our Bookstore, located in the Old Market Passageway at 1030 Howard St., may be able to help. Opening an independent bookstore is a risky venture these days, but Clark has the blessing of ex-husband Sam Mercer, the man behind the Old Market's development. “He thought it would be nice to have a little bookstore, even if it didn't make money. It would add to the Old Market,” Clark said.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't understand why they said it includes a bookstore again.  Does Jackson Street Book store not count?
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

iamjacobm wrote:I didn't understand why they said it includes a bookstore again.  Does Jackson Street Book store not count?
or that weird little thing on 13th street that can't decide if it's ever open or not or that weirder thing on sixteenth. stupid OWH
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:I didn't understand why they said it includes a bookstore again.  Does Jackson Street Book store not count?
Yeah, that kind of p1ssed me off. And I bet it p1ssed off the folks at Jackson Street Booksellers even more. They have been a mainstay of the Old Market for years and years and are a huge asset to downtown and the city.

The OWH has egg on their face with this article, for sure.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone notice the cluster of vacant storefronts on the south side of Howard?  French cafe is still empty, then the goldsmith is empty, and the flower shop on the corner is empty.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:Anyone notice the cluster of vacant storefronts on the south side of Howard?  French cafe is still empty, then the goldsmith is empty, and the flower shop on the corner is empty.
Do they still use the old French Cafe space for anything? Every time I walk by, the tables are always set with plates, silverware, glasses and napkins. It seems odd they would set all the tables before they left, never to be used again.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Goldsmith is still open.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

RNcyanide wrote:Do they still use the old French Cafe space for anything? Every time I walk by, the tables are always set with plates, silverware, glasses and napkins. It seems odd they would set all the tables before they left, never to be used again.
Hmmmm ... I haven't noticed that. I need to pay more attention. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are still set the same way they were the last day the French Cafe was open...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Kind of spooky, really...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

RNcyanide wrote:
Brad wrote:Anyone notice the cluster of vacant storefronts on the south side of Howard?  French cafe is still empty, then the goldsmith is empty, and the flower shop on the corner is empty.
Do they still use the old French Cafe space for anything? Every time I walk by, the tables are always set with plates, silverware, glasses and napkins. It seems odd they would set all the tables before they left, never to be used again.
Weekend at Bernie's.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

RNcyanide wrote:
It was a last minute decision to close so it doesn't surprise me the tables were set for the next day.  That space should be occupied fairly soon unless something changed.
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=198131
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
It was a last minute decision to close so it doesn't surprise me the tables were set for the next day.  That space should be occupied fairly soon unless something changed.
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=198131
It would actually kind of be a neat place to use as a reception hall until a business moves in.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Anyone know what is going in here:
(Hope it fits the store front)

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Coyote wrote:Anyone know what is going in here:
(Hope it fits the store front)

From what I hear, it is going to be a cupcake shop or some type of bakery
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

I have heard it will become a deli.
Beach Dad
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

IIRC - they were building display counters diagonally from the N door to the W door. So either of these makes perfect sense...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard it was a bakery too.  However I think they are doing the work themselves because they don't seem to work on it very often.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'd love a Deli here, or a true full bakery.  Another "cupcake place" would make me sad.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Stopped by the French Cafe again on Saturday. You can see a fine layer of dust accumulating on the tables. Spooooooky.

The Bride
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

The Old Market Facebook page said that this building was going from selling flowers to selling things with flour, or something like that.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I've heard the former flower shop will now be home to a gourmet cupcake shop.  I think that will do well at that location.
Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association

Post by Hyok Kim »

Man!  It must have been a while that I set my foot on the center of OM.    I didn't even know French cafe and the goldsmith were closed.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Hyok Kim wrote:
Man!  It must have been a while that I set my foot on the center of OM.    I didn't even know French cafe and the goldsmith were closed.
The tables were set for guests who would never arrive...

I'm still not taking their closing very well... :despond:

The Bride
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Goldsmith Silversmith closed?  They still have their website up and running, and list their OM location.
http://www.goldsmithsilversmith.com/pages/contact-us
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Goldsmith Silversmith closed?  They still have their website up and running, and list their OM location.
http://www.goldsmithsilversmith.com/pages/contact-us
No, I thought they did, but they are still there.  They looked closed up two times I went by, but then after I posted that, they were open again.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

From what I have learned, this will be a new cupcake place and is owned by Chris Janicek. He is currently the owner of omahacakes.com/ Chris Janicek's cake box
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was hoping for a deli, but at least it looks like they are putting money into renovating the store - it should look nice on that corner.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

It's true that the corner will become a cupcake and wedding cake shop.  Goldsmith is not closed and has no intention of closing.  The former French Café location will reopen shortly as another concept.  Paul Kulik of the Boiler Room will be executive chef with his former sous chef Ben Jordan becoming Chef de Cuisine.  The Mercers are behind the project, bringing back to life the restaurant space they originally came to open. Omaha Details will be announced soon.  I suspect it will be a good addition to the market that will breath life back into a sorely needed corridor.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Globochem wrote:It's true that the corner will become a cupcake and wedding cake shop.  Goldsmith is not closed and has no intention of closing.  The former French Café location will reopen shortly as another concept.  Paul Kulik of the Boiler Room will be executive chef with his former sous chef Ben Jordan becoming Chef de Cuisine.  The Mercers are behind the project, bringing back to life the restaurant space they originally came to open. Omaha Details will be announced soon.  I suspect it will be a good addition to the market that will breath life back into a sorely needed corridor.

Will it be French food or what?

The Bride
Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association

Post by Hyok Kim »

RNcyanide wrote:
I can't say since I never had dined there.   I do know a manager at Scooter's at OM (about a couple of 2 to 3 years ago) took a job as a waiter at French Cafe.   He was  very excited.   He did say the food was expensive.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Hyok Kim wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
I can't say since I never had dined there.   I do know a manager at Scooter's at OM (about a couple of 2 to 3 years ago) took a job as a waiter at French Cafe.   He was  very excited.   He did say the food was expensive.
It was expensive, but the atmosphere was nice and the staff were friendly and not to mention the food was wonderful. Plus, I had some good memories made there, so there's some sentimental value in that place too.

The Bride