Hyatt Place (12th and Jackson)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yeah, they cut down the forest of scrub trees that were starting to shade the lot.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really want to see this get started.  It would be really nice to see an crane downtown again.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

justnick wrote:They're doing some sort of work at this place. Nothing major, but I noticed yesterday they had cleaned up the site, and put in some sort of orange posts that I imagine have some purpose other than adding color.
Like survey markers?  Wood sticks about 3 feet tall with some orange paint?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hopefully this is a sign that this project is moving forward. Between this and the Pinnacle site, these could be two key sites in downtown getting filled.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Brad wrote:
justnick wrote:They're doing some sort of work at this place. Nothing major, but I noticed yesterday they had cleaned up the site, and put in some sort of orange posts that I imagine have some purpose other than adding color.
Like survey markers?  Wood sticks about 3 feet tall with some orange paint?
Indeed! Got a closer look last night, and this would appear to be them. Good sign, I hope.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

heard though the grapevine this project is dead and the Hyatt is going 12th and Capitol.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

swgiust wrote:heard though the grapevine this project is dead and the Hyatt is going 12th and Capitol.
I think your grapevine has been disconnected.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cdub wrote:
swgiust wrote:heard though the grapevine this project is dead and the Hyatt is going 12th and Capitol.
I think your grapevine has been disconnected.
Nice, was waiting for you to chime in on this, ccdub.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

True, cdub does no all. No sarcasm there either.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

A second round of groundwater testing yesterday.  Some irregularities but mostly a nuisance not a game changer.  Construction expected to take the better part of 2 years though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:A second round of groundwater testing yesterday.  Some irregularities but mostly a nuisance not a game changer.  Construction expected to take the better part of 2 years though.
That's not the first or last project in downtown with ground water issues.

I can't wait to see this building go up!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The plus side of a long construction schedule is the atmosphere of development and improvement it will add.  A truly vibrant city will always have some kind of construction underway.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seth wrote:The plus side of a long construction schedule is the atmosphere of development and improvement it will add.  A truly vibrant city will always have some kind of construction underway.
I totally agree!

If this takes 2 years so be it, I am just excited to see a large scale building going up downtown again.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Have any renderings been released aside from the black and white ones?
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Also, from the baffoon at work. Apparently, hyatt or whoever there wanted TIF financing and didn't get it or the city wouldn't give it to them but told them that if they build on 10th and Jackson they would get it. I honestly think its just something to one up me because I know everything before him (thanks to this site). It is what it is.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Bomaha wrote:Also, from the baffoon at work. Apparently, hyatt or whoever there wanted TIF financing and didn't get it or the city wouldn't give it to them but told them that if they build on 10th and Jackson they would get it. I honestly think its just something to one up me because I know everything before him (thanks to this site). It is what it is.
Que?
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Sorry, I was referencing a post I sent in the crossroads thread. My bad. This guy from work is in an architecture class I believe at UNO. They had a guest lecturer come in and it was the Omaha city planner, who told some things and showed them more plans about crossroads and was also talking about the hyatt downtown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bomaha wrote:Also, from the baffoon at work. Apparently, hyatt or whoever there wanted TIF financing and didn't get it or the city wouldn't give it to them but told them that if they build on 10th and Jackson they would get it. I honestly think its just something to one up me because I know everything before him (thanks to this site). It is what it is.
I don't understand why the city would rather have it on 10th instead of 12th.  12th and Jackson has been a hotel site for half a decade now why would the city pursue other options all of a sudden?  The current location is an ugly piece of land sucking the life out of that block of the OM.  The location on 10th is out of the way and is at least being used for parking which is more than the 12th site is doing.

The only possible reason in my head is that enough people bitched about the height of the building, but that seems like a stretch even.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

HuskerSteve wrote:Did I just imagine it, or did I just read in the OWH, or hear on Grow Omaha, that they might be tearing down the Little King property  to the north and building a new bigger building that will house Little King's and an ethnic restaurant of some kind...?
I just updated the thread about that - Maggie Moos and Little Kings are both "closed for remodeling", which I assume is that
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

justnick wrote:
HuskerSteve wrote:Did I just imagine it, or did I just read in the OWH, or hear on Grow Omaha, that they might be tearing down the Little King property  to the north and building a new bigger building that will house Little King's and an ethnic restaurant of some kind...?
I just updated the thread about that - Maggie Moos and Little Kings are both "closed for remodeling", which I assume is that
Yeah but they have been asked to relocate once the new building is up correct?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Linkin5 wrote:
justnick wrote:
I thought I read that they would take up some of the retail space in the new building.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

iamjacobm wrote:
I don't understand why the city would rather have it on 10th instead of 12th.  12th and Jackson has been a hotel site for half a decade now why would the city pursue other options all of a sudden?  The current location is an ugly piece of land sucking the life out of that block of the OM.  The location on 10th is out of the way and is at least being used for parking which is more than the 12th site is doing.

The only possible reason in my head is that enough people bitched about the height of the building, but that seems like a stretch even.
I know that didn't make any sense to me either. Again, this guy seriously thinks he was all that and knows the innerworkings of what is going on. I'll just rub it in his face when he's wrong, and by that time he'll be studying abroad in London. :)
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

ShawJ wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
justnick wrote:
I thought I read that they would take up some of the retail space in the new building.
That's true, but it's a different building. The Hyatt site is on the SE corner of the block, while a new apartment building is going to be built over the Maggie Moo/Little King NE corner of the block. Different projects.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Any updates?  The demo for the neighboring apartment building is moving forward, but nothing new at the hotel site.  Has this stalled?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I was a bit worried about the lack of action on this project, but then I read cdub's post saying that construction will take around 2 years. Hopefully everything is still a go.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hyatt Announces Plans for Hyatt Place Omaha Downtown/Old Market, First Hyatt-Branded Hotel in Nebraska

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hyatt- ... 2012-02-21

159-Room Hotel to be Located in the Old Market District
Hyatt Hotels Corporation wrote:Slated to begin construction early in the second quarter of 2012, Hyatt Place Omaha Downtown/Old Market will have 159 rooms in a stand-alone nine-story building located on the northwest corner of Jackson Street and 12th Street in the Old Market district. The hotel, designed by the Chicago office of the DLR Group, will be situated amidst Omaha's arts and entertainment center that features fine dining, shopping, corporate meeting facilities, and upscale nightlife.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am really excited about this project and the Old Market.  Along with the Capitol District's new hotel, this should add a great deal of rooms to the downtown area.  

Is it just me or does the rendering still show 11 stories, while the article says it is going to be just 9 stories.  Either way, a great addition!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Is this an entirely new rendering from anything we've seen in the past?
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It looks basically like the same rendering we have seen.  So according to the article construction should be starting in April-May.  Great news!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It will be great to finally see this happen. The massing and density of the development is what the area needs, although 6 or 7 stories may be more appropriate for the Old Market. But I'll take 9 to 11 stories if they must.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Article says opening in 2014.  It's going to take almost two years to build this thing?
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Pretty.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

While I'm a huge fan of this project moving forward, am I the only one that thinks this design/height will look a little out of place in the OM?  Most of the market is 2-5 stories tall, and brick - yes, I know the Lofts on the south end of the market are taller.  This modern looking, much taller, structure may stand out like a sore thumb...  

I'm almost more in favor of either of the original 2 renderings (way back when this place was supposed to be a Marriott Residence Inn).

Anyway, lets see things get rolling here.  This site has sat vacant long enough.  Almost anything is better than a hole in the ground...
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Weird. The initial proposal was 155 rooms, 11 stories. Now it says 159 rooms and 9 stories.

Either way, it looks really good. I don't think it will stick out in a bad way with how much taller it is in the Old Market.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

With the majority of the hotel being brick and decorative awnings along with a few architectural details that are representative of surrounding Old Market buildings this hotel should fit in just great. I realize it's a few stories taller than the norm in that area, but it's not like it's a all modern, all glass 25 story office tower. When you consider the apartment project already underway on the North side of the block, and now this firm announcement on this project, the entire Western edge of the market is getting an unbelievable upgrade in so many ways. Awesome News!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think it will fit amazingly!  This is going to be great for the OM!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm not a fan of the architecture, but am very happy to hear this is moving forward. In terms of infill, this will be excellent for the Old Market, and the height is on the higher end of the range of appropriateness, but appropriate none the less.

For those who are worried about an 11-story (or 9-story) building looking out of place in the Old Market, how do you feel about all the surface parking lots? Where's the consternation there?

Also, it would be cool to see the new building at 12th and Howard featured in the rendering. We can all use our imaginations, I guess.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Ben wrote:While I'm a huge fan of this project moving forward, am I the only one that thinks this design/height will look a little out of place in the OM?  Most of the market is 2-5 stories tall, and brick - yes, I know the Lofts on the south end of the market are taller.  This modern looking, much taller, structure may stand out like a sore thumb...  

I'm almost more in favor of either of the original 2 renderings (way back when this place was supposed to be a Marriott Residence Inn).

Anyway, lets see things get rolling here.  This site has sat vacant long enough.  Almost anything is better than a hole in the ground...
I guess you didn't see my post a few lines up....noting the 9 to 11 story height vs. the Old Market's usual 5-6 stories.

Nonetheless, you can see they acknowledged the 5-6 story norm by taking the brick up to that height and then using different materials above the 6-story height, for the floors above.

Downtown Chicago has the same kind of datum line around 19-21 stories high in many of the older buildings, which many of the newer buildings have acknowledged in their materials and massing. It's a good nod to the past while providing much needed square footage at greater heights.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.