Moxy Hotel to replace OM Diner

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Re: New building to replace OM Diner?

Post by OmahaOmaha »

This is going to be the site of the new 100 story tall Mutual of Omaha headquarters with 30 floors of underground parking and street level retail!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

OmahaOmaha wrote:This is going to be the site of the new 100 story tall Mutual of Omaha headquarters with 30 floors of underground parking and street level retail!
I talked to a guy that works down in the supply room at Mutual Of Omaha on Friday and he said the word is Mutual is staying and the moving rumors are all B.S. More deep investigating to come in 2018! :lol:
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

OmahaOmaha wrote:This is going to be the site of the new 100 story tall Mutual of Omaha headquarters with 30 floors of underground parking and street level retail!
See, the underground parking gave you away. Now of you posited a streetcar turnaround, then maybe.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

nvm thinking of the wrong property.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
Garrett wrote:And what does this site plan call for?
I wish I could say, but I'm sure when the plans are made public, people are going to be really impressed and excited.
Any idea what hen they’ll be made public?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Linkin5 wrote:
Brad wrote:
I wish I could say, but I'm sure when the plans are made public, people are going to be really impressed and excited.
Don't count your chickens until they hatch.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GetUrban wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Don't count your chickens until they hatch.
Hey I’m just talking about renderings not saying it will get built, I’ve followed development for far too long to know this rule :).
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It just so happens that I ran into the owners of the Diner over the weekend on the beach here in Puerto Vallarta. They just lost their longtime hostess/ waitress to a heart attack over the Christmas holidays. But they have no plans to close.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request for Moxy Hotel on this lot before the Planning Board. Looks like Moxy is a new brand by Marriott. Locations in Europe along with NYC, NOLA, Denver and Chicago in the US.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

iamjacobm wrote:TIF request for Moxy Hotel on this lot before the Planning Board. Looks like Moxy is a new brand by Marriott. Locations in Europe along with NYC, NOLA, Denver and Chicago in the US.
Here are pictures of Denver's recently completed Moxy.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2018/01/m ... pdate.html
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

This will probably have some height to it. That’s a small parcel for a hotel.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:This will probably have some height to it. That’s a small parcel for a hotel.

I will guess six floors
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:This will probably have some height to it. That’s a small parcel for a hotel.

I will guess six floors
What's the height limit for the Old Market? Like 75ft barring an exception like Hyatt Place?
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

That's awesome! I would love a rock climbing wall downtown.... :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I will guess six floors
What's the height limit for the Old Market? Like 75ft barring an exception like Hyatt Place?
I'm not sure if there is..

I know the Hyatt Place hotel in the Old Market, which opened in 2014, is 9 stories tall..for what it's worth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

nebugeater wrote:

I will guess six floors
What black magic do you possess to see the future?
New hotel proposed on The Diner site in Old Market

Omaha planning commissioners are considering the idea of another hotel in Omaha's Old Market. If plans for a new six-story Moxy hotel get approved, The Diner at 12th and Harney streets will have to come down.

http://www.ketv.com/article/new-hotel-p ... t/16020511
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like a nice addition to the neighborhood.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I will guess six floors
What black magic do you possess to see the future?
New hotel proposed on The Diner site in Old Market

Omaha planning commissioners are considering the idea of another hotel in Omaha's Old Market. If plans for a new six-story Moxy hotel get approved, The Diner at 12th and Harney streets will have to come down.

http://www.ketv.com/article/new-hotel-p ... t/16020511
Get lucky once in a while.!!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That actually looks really cool, and blends in perfectly.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like the look of it as well. I was wondering if they would try to follow the design of the other ones but figured it would have brick.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote:I like the look of it as well. I was wondering if they would try to follow the design of the other ones but figured it would have brick.
Love that they kept brick as a main feature. Going to be awesome there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/room-marriot ... 13524.html
A new six-story Marriott Moxy hotel is planned to replace the longtime Diner at the corner of 12th and Harney Streets in the Old Market.

The family-owned Hawkeye Hotels based in Coralville, Iowa, hopes to start construction yet this year if all approvals go as hoped for the $15.1 million project poised to bring 105 more hotel rooms to the area.

Planning Director Dave Fanslau described the 409 S. 12th St. site as underutilized in its current form. He points to the downtown master plan’s call for “urban densities,” generally meaning multistory buildings served by structured or off-site public parking that encourages pedestrian-oriented corridors.

“Redeveloping it as proposed adds a good product to the Old Market, to downtown,” he said. “The building will be high quality and offer a service still in demand that hasn’t reached its peak down there.”

Michael Henery, who owns the nearly 9,000-square-foot site that includes a parking lot and the old-school Diner, said the restaurant has been a popular fixture at that spot for more than 30 years. He leases the structure to restaurateurs who could not be reached for comment Friday. Henery said the new owners would have the right to do what they want with the Diner shell, but he suggested that it could be relocated — a proposition that was fine with the buyer.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Moxy Hotel to replace OM Diner

Post by Coyote »

With TIF request already to go before the Planning Board this Wednesday,
Hopefully more details to come soon...
With the Landmark addition, the soon to be former Chamber building renovations, the possibility of something on the parking lot on the NW corner of 10th & Harney, the extension of Harney to the MoA lake...
Will we recognize Harney St in a few years.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:With TIF request already to go before the Planning Board this Wednesday,
Hopefully more details to come soon...
With the Landmark addition, the soon to be former Chamber building renovations, the possibility of something on the parking lot on the NW corner of 10th & Harney, the extension of Harney to the MoA lake...
Will we recognize Harney St in a few years.
Hopefully something u/c on the corridor for the better part of the next decade.
tpaine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpaine »

This is awesome news for the Old Market. Wish they would add a rooftop bar/restaurant! :D
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

tpaine wrote:This is awesome news for the Old Market. Wish they would add a rooftop bar/restaurant! :D
That is something we desperately need IMO.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I really like the proposed design overall, but what the rendering shows happening (or not happening) at street level is a bit boring and disappointing. It shows store fronts of the lobby with curtains drawn, basically.

I'd like to see them provide some lease-able space at street level. The Diner has had a good run for quite a while, but maybe they could still work a new version of it into the first level. If not that, maybe something else more exciting that opens up to an outdoor seating area associated with the hotel restaurant/bar.
Maybe the rendering had not been fully developed at street level yet, I hope.

Last edited by GetUrban on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah that would be a great idea to have the diner open in the ground floor. I know the article mentioned that the hotel would have a restaurant open to guests as well as anyone else. The restaurant is supposed to offer limited lunch and dinner, but an expanded breakfast menu.

I always thought that the diner should have stayed open for dinner. I never had time to eat breakfast of lunch there when I was working right across the street.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The thing I remember the most about The Diner, from when I worked nearby, was how your clothes would smell like greasy hamburger and fries the rest of the day if you went there for lunch! Plus cigarette smoke too, before the ban. Coworkers would always say "You went to the Diner for lunch, eh?" :lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:I really like the proposed design overall, but what the rendering shows happening (or not happening) at street level is a bit boring and disappointing. It shows store fronts of the lobby with curtains drawn, basically.
Hoping that's just because the didn't want to spend the time to render the inside for this city process? From what I heard is that the main floor is centered around the bar. They don't even have a front desk, guests check in at the bar.
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

The article from today's paper implies that the original plan didn't even call for the storefront look on the ground level. Or the brick, for that matter.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I really like the proposed design overall, but what the rendering shows happening (or not happening) at street level is a bit boring and disappointing. It shows store fronts of the lobby with curtains drawn, basically.
Hoping that's just because the didn't want to spend the time to render the inside for this city process? From what I heard is that the main floor is centered around the bar. They don't even have a front desk, guests check in at the bar.
Doesnt everyone just go straight to the bar at the hotel anyway? Or is that just me?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Louie wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I will guess six floors

I know the Hyatt Place hotel in the Old Market, which opened in 2014, is 9 stories tall..for what it's worth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
In today's World Herald article about it they mention that they asked the developer to go from 8 floors to 6 to fit with the height restrictions of the historic district, so there must be some sort of restriction. According to DOGIS, The Old Market & Wholesale District is bounded by Harney, 10th, Jackson, then 12th up to Howard, then 13th back to Harney, so the Hyatt falls just outside of that zoning jurisdiction.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/plans-f ... 5417c.html
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

8 floods on a thin lot like that would have been cool to see. Too bad they couldn’t make that work, not like they wanted 20 stories to be way out of scale.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Louie wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I will guess six floors

Ciao..LiO...Peace
In today's World Herald article about it they mention that they asked the developer to go from 8 floors to 6 to fit with the height restrictions of the historic district, so there must be some sort of restriction. According to DOGIS, The Old Market & Wholesale District is bounded by Harney, 10th, Jackson, then 12th up to Howard, then 13th back to Harney, so the Hyatt falls just outside of that zoning jurisdiction.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/plans-f ... 5417c.html
Yeah- I saw that in the article this morning.. Knowing more specifics regarding where the Hyatt is, in relation to the districts zoning and 6 story height restriction, it makes sense to me now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

They should move the Diner to the Landmark Tower Plaza.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$1,931,000 TIF request for the $15 million project.

TIF request:
https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... 20/274.pdf
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

TIF doc states that anticipated completion is May 2019.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I hope they knock this down before the Spec crybabies come out and block this. Do love to see this in that location even as small as it is.
15-17, 26, 32
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

MTO wrote:I hope they knock this down before the Spec crybabies come out and block this. Do love to see this in that location even as small as it is.
I feel like a diner that looks like a airstream rv may not have as much significance.