Tip Top - Barley's - Alley Poyner

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

OmahaChef wrote:The opening is June 13th. The Official Ribbon Cutting is the 15th. The Forte Banquet and Conference Center is opening in July. Smoking in InPlay is in the Bar area. Smoking in the Banquet Center is limited to a patio on the east side of the banquet hall...outside. By the way, InPlay is coming along very nicely. If you come by to check it out, feel free to say hello to me. It would be great to meet some of you in person.
Chef: read your post in the other topic too regarding your hiring, etc. I'm very impressed. I may swing by on the weekend of the 18th to check it out while I'm in town!

Someday... the perfect job will show up on careerlink.org, and I'll move home to enjoy all the changes!

--Asten
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Someday... the perfect job will show up on careerlink.org, and I'll move home to enjoy all the changes!
Not if I get it first! :lol:
omacoffeeguy
New to the Neighborhood

inPlay

Post by omacoffeeguy »

Hello everyone! Like OmahaChef, I'm also a part of inPlay. I'm the Assistant General Manager and am very excited about our project. We've worked very hard to make inPlay the best entertainment facility in Omaha. I hope everyone comes out to participate in our 14 days of Giving and helps us give something back to the community. Omaha is full of great people with big hearts. I thank you in advance for not only your support with inPlay, but thanks for the contributions made to our top local non-profit organizations. We've moved the date once for this event due to construction issues, and appologize for any inconvenience, however, we're moving full steam ahead and are planning a bigger and better event for the participants in July. Mark your calendars for July 5 - 18 and support such charities as Alzheimers Association, Ralston Public Schools, and Habitat for Humanity, just to name a few. Contact gbetti@inplayomaha.com for any information. OPENING DATE: JUNE 13
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome coffeeguy... and you won't find anyone more excited about the opening of inPlay than the participants on this forum. Thanks for the inside scoop guys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I see the website has been updated. Looking good! http://www.inplayomaha.com
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Just a bit of an update on InPlay. Major progress this week! It is exciting to see it all come together. Today I got my blessing to open the kitchen, so we'll be exercising the menu this weekend in preparation for Monday's opening. The space is looking really good! With 100 interactive video games, party rooms, pool tables, black light bowling, the Jim Beam room, a bar that seats 40, a restaurant with a menu that features everything from Mozzarella Sticks to Ribeye Steaks....it is an exciting space. Play basketball, football, baseball, feel like you are on the roller coaster from heck that makes your bones chatter. And make sure you ask for Tom the chef. I'll be sure to say hello! And watch for the Ribbon Cutting in the news on Wednesday! ( Yes, this is yet another shameless plug). But hey, it is the start of the new North Downtown. Here's to 5-10 years of a continuation of an amazing transformation of an area of downtown Omaha.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Congrats Chef! I'm looking forward to checking it out when in Omaha for the CWS.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

OK ----- It's been open about 5 1/2 hours now. Anyone have any feedback?

I'm a bit impatient today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes - welcome omacoffeeguy! Are you who I think you are?
Didn't know you were so branched out. Good luck with these ventures.
cosmoguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cosmoguy »

Has Inplay done any advertisng yet? I drove by and it seems like it's still under construction.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

When I drove by Sunday afternoon, looking through the glass, it looks as if they are installing games and still working on the interior of the building..

It didn't look completely ready to open as of yet..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Regarding advertisement, I did see several commercials on t.v. this past Friday or Saturday.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

I'm gonna check it out tonight with some buds. I'll let yall know..
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I know, the exterior of the outside, specifically the new addition for the Forte Banquet and Conference Cener is not finished yet, but...we opened Monday, and the official Ribbon Cutting is Tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. We did a "soft" opening on purpose with a minimum of advertising, but we are open. The games have been in place for weeks, and it has been one of the perks of working here. We get to let off steam by playing!

There are some items that aren't finished yet, like the Jim Beam Room, the concession and redemption area, etc. but 9/10th of the facility is ready. The games are all in place, the restaurant/bar is serving food and drinks, and the feedback so far has been real positive, so I know we are on the right track.

Hint, Hint...people are raving about the burgers, and the original Philly Cheese Steak. The ribs are cooked for hours and hours.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thanks for the update Chef 8) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Went down and checked it out today, I must say this will be great once they get the climbing wall in. Pretty much your average games but I already have a favorite. They have a maybe 2/3 size bowling there which is very addictive. Also had lunch, I had the philly cheese steak salad which I must say was quite good (except they didn't have the dressing). I also took a tour of the TipTop building which really impressed me.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I happened to run into aaron (streets) downtown today and we went to check out inPlay and TipTop. I was blown away by the atrium in the center. It definitely will be awesome once the climbing wall is put into place. It is really neat to be able to look up and see that you are underneath the watertower. The games looked OK, but I really liked all the different rooms that were available for private parties such as the "Jim Beam" room. We also checked out the apartments and they are very nice. Very spacious and the floor plans are excellent. I can see the chalkboard doors getting out of control though...lol. The hallways are very nice as well, and everything seems very customized with the "TipTop" logo, if you havent checked it out you really should.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I had lunch there today. Neat place, I hope it survives. I hope there is enough traffic around that location to make it work. I hope inplay isn't a few years too early.

I was surprised to get wristbanded to even enter the restaurant. I did not care for that policy. I even told the lady doing the banding that i was not going to drink alcohol during lunch. I took off the wristband later pulling out several arm hairs. Oh well.

As for the food, I ordered the soup and half sandwitch combo. The waitress said the philly was not included as an option, dissapointing. So, I went with the club. It was nothing special, but I really don't expect much from a club. I should have ordered this philly everyone is talking about.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I went there last night with my fiancé. We really enjoyed our selves. I actually thought the games where fun and had a great time playing them, especially the throwing ones like basketball/football.. I didn't know they had food though so i was excited to learn that and had a burger and fries. The food wasn't that great, the burger was salty and the fries need seasoning. The nicest part was being able to run around an arcade without a million kids pissing me off. Oh and playing those games after getting drunk was flipping awesome! I cant wait to free fall off the wall after getting drunk. The staff didn't know what they where doing and couldn't answer many of my questions but I'm sure in time that will all get fixed. Shockingly there wasn't many people there at all, but that made it nice not having to wait for something. I met some guy there who was involved in the management (I cant remember his name) and some hot chick who also was part of the management they where really nice, hammered but nice. He said he was moving in upstairs lucky guy.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So it's not a kids place?
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So it's not a kids place?
Curfew
All guests under the age of 18 must exit the building at 11:00p.m. Monday – Wednesday and midnight Thursday through Saturday, regardless of parental supervision. Additional, after 8p.m., no one under the age of 21 is permitted in our sports bar inZone.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I like it better already.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The curfew posted here is from the Peoria site. I'm not sure what our policy is, so I'll have to check that out. Concerning the half sandwich with the soup, I will have to think about that one. In reality, I guess I could do just about anything in a half portion. It would be a bit of work, but...hmmm...I need to ponder that one. And I apologize about the burger and fries. I'll talk to my night cooks about that one. Hopefully you'll comne back and try it again. It is our first week, and we had only one day for training and testing, so we are still refining a number of items as we go. Oh yeah, concerning another thread, we now have the sweet vidalia onion dressing!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'll have to check this out soon.
OmahaChef - what are your favorite items on the menu?
What would you recommend that would show off the restaurant's food service? I always appreciate waitresses who know what is good - who really know and have good taste - and will usually follow their advice - but now with the chef online 8)
BTW - ever read Kitchen Confidential? One of my favorite books/authors
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That curfew info posted was from

http://www.inplayomaha.com/about/
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

By the way, Coyote, we left the servers eat free for a week so they could try out anything they wanted to on the menu. So, you can trust their recomendations also.
moellay
New to the Neighborhood

Post by moellay »

I am also an InPlay employee, and just wanted to reply to the comment that none of the employees knew what they were doing. First of all, I have know about and been excited about InPlay for a long time. I knew about the one in Peoria and couldn't wait to get an InPlay in Omaha. I also knew it would be the perfect summer job for me. However, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Since the construction wrap-up was quick, and is still on-going, the majority of the staff is learning as we go. It doesn't mean that there is no experience and all of us are idiots, we just are ALL, every one of us, new to this facility. We DO want to make it a positive experience for all of our customers, and we DO want to learn what our customers want and need. Polite feedback is wanted.
Now, as far as the food, I've tasted a lot of it. and OmahaChef is 100% right. Tom is a great guy, and a wonderful chef. His phillies are OUTSTANDING and his artichoke dip is some of the best I've ever had. If you want a good pizza, check out the pizza there as well. If you like chicken pizza, I've heard the buffalo chicken pizza is excellent. I enjoy the meat-lovers, too. Thanks to all of the InPlay managers for being great!!!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum Moellay.

We all are looking forward not only to experiencing inPlay when it is fully up to speed... but what it means in terms of anchoring future development in the North Downtown district.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Moellay...aw shucks, come up to me and identify yourself and I'll make sure you get a free meal..whatever you what!

And Jeff, see my new post in North Downtown under Development for what InPlay is doing next in North Downtown. There are things I learned this week I can't discuss, but the future looks bright for .....dare I say it...North Downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Chef, how has the College World Series helped/hurt your business this weekend, and how has your business been compared to other stores in your company.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

That's a good question, Brad. We did a "soft" opening, without a major advertising campaign, so we had a chance to get our feet wet. Each day has seen sales increase, so that's a good sign. Friday at lunch, we were pretty busy from 12:00 to 1:00, which actually surprised me. Friday evening there was a grand opening for Tip-Top on the roof of the building with wine and beer and a live jazz band. The invited guests all came down to eat at InPlay, and it was rather hectic for several hours. At one point there was a half hour wait for tables. But Saturday it was rather slow, at least during the day it was. I left about 7:30, so I'm not sure about last night. Friday was a bit of an abnormal spike due to the 300 Tip-Top partiers all coming down to eat, so I guess I need a few more days to see. Since we just opened, we have no same-store sales record to compare it to. And actually, I've been so focused on our place, I forgot to ask how we compare to Peoria! I'll check into that.

As a side note, we have had 4 party functions to cater this week, and I have four for this coming week too. Another positive sign.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I went with pkiphd and some other people last Friday and it was pretty cool. The lofts apts were bad as heck. We were thinking about chipping in for one on the south side. :) Also there was a party on the roof we went to. There's another little loft up there that's two stories across from the water tower. I'll have the pics I took of it up later.
DTO
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

I checked it out on Saturday, as well. They're running a pretty sweet deal with $5 all you can play for a hour, plus $1.50 pints! Not a bad deal at all!

I'll probably head back down there again next weekend.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

During the opening, we are running a special. $5.00 for an hour's worth of games, or $20 for all-day play. During CWS, the bar is running Happy Hour all day long.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Thanks Chef and the manager (sorry, I forgot your name but will remember the next time I see you guys). We had a great time at lunch and I came back with family - the games were great and we ended up closing the place down. I was pretty much hooked on the horse racing even though my horse was a bit of a loser! I'll stop by on my next visit to Omaha! Best of luck and we're all looking forward to more In Play development!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks, jjjjhskr! It was great meeting all of you in person. Yes, Rod (the restaurant manager) is a big fan of the site too. It was Rod who introduced me to eomaha.com!
creasecrasher
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creasecrasher »

i really hope that both inplay and dave and busters will be huge, but I don't know if Omaha can support both of these resturants. Maybe since they aren't located to close to each other they will both be huge.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would hope that both places fare well but InPlay will have my business. :D
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks DTO! We all appreciate your support. I believe Omaha is big enough to support both Dave and Buster's as well as InPlay.