Burlington Station

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Burlington Station

Post by AZCorey »

I remember once YEARS ago hearing that there was proposed talk of renovating the old Burlington train station, which, if I remember correctly was just a couple blocks away from Union Station (Western Heritage Museum)....if I remember correctly, that Burlington building was a nice structure....has there been any more discussion about it?? It would be a shame to just continue to let it sit there abandoned.
smeace
New to the Neighborhood

Post by smeace »

Not extremely relevant, but very cool content on this site.

http://www.geocities.com/burlingtonstation/

Some cool pics in here from adetter too.
smeace
New to the Neighborhood

Post by smeace »

Here is the one I was looking for:

http://www.rypn.org/HRRHS/bsp.htm
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Both those sites the creation of our own Eric Miller (aka Zephyr).

Which reminds me... Eric, if you're listening (perhaps I asked this before)... I'd like to 'mirror' this content on my site if that's okay.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Jeff, actually I can't take credit for the HRRHS site - that is maintained by my good friend Gerald Kopiasz. And sure, feel free to use any of the stuff off my site.

I really need to get around to updating my site. I serve as the Secretary on the Burlington Committee, a group of influential folks who are spearheading the restoration of the station - Aaron is also part of this committee.
Here is a somewhat recent news article of what we're doing: http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/577662.html

Currently, the building was under contract with a potential buyer, which expired last week. There are at least 2 other possible buyers in line with much more credibility than the one that had the contract, both of which the Committee has been in contact with. Hopefully, something will turn out soon.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Burlington Station Development

Post by OhioStreetKid »

per the Chamber Site, someone has purchased the old Burlington Station and plans to transform it into retail and living spaces.
Here is the website http://www.ontrackdevelopment.com
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow. Interesting. How did you find out about this?

Eric, do you know anything about this?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Does anyone know details. Do they plan to add a third floor inside the current shell like Ally, Poyner Architects designed for Warren Buffet and Warren Distributing. At one time, and may be he still does, Buffet owned the station and was going to develop it.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I have never heard about this... although all the pictures on their website are off of my geocities website (http://www.geocities.com/burlingtonstation) - they must not have read my Terms of Use. I can say for certain that the Burlington Station was never owned by Warren Buffett. The owners were:
- Chicago, Burlington and Quincy/Burlington Northern, 1897-1983
- Eagle Real Estate, et al, 1983-85 (bought for $50,000)
- Orthopedic Couch and Bedding Co., 1985-89 (bought for $110,000)
- Warren Oil Distributing, Co., 1989-present (bought for about $485,000)
- For sale ever since December 1993

I'll check with my sources and see if I can find anything.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

*NEWS FLASH*

I got in touch with the folks at OnTrack Development - they just closed on the building this week and have plans that sound very good. According to them, the building will be mixed-use with condos, restaurants, shops, and other retail/sub-commercial. My and Aaron's group, the Burlington Committee, will be working them to hopefully integrate some of our plans (such as the tenatns we've lined up).

I would highly recommend that anyone else sign up for their updates on their website, sounds like they will have some good updates in the near future.

It's great news that someone with good plans has bought the building - some changes could be happening soon!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Eric,

What about Amtrak? Are they involved in this?
And the cooking school?
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Ultimately, we (the Burlington Committee) would definitely like to get those two in as part of the rehab, so yeah, they will be involved... stay tuned.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Do you know if the building is going be razed and a new building be built to replace it? Also, is it going to be fairly tall?
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

The existing structure is going to be renovated.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

- Warren Oil Distributing, Co., 1989-present (bought for about $485,000)
Owned by warren buffet according to my teacher. I see the plans for the Warren dirtributing project every day at school. They were drawn by Ally Poyner Architects.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Warren Oil is definitely not owned by Warren Buffett. Do you honestly think one of his companies would have lost so much money over the last decade?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Warren Oil is definitely not owned by Warren Buffett. Do you honestly think one of his companies would have lost so much money over the last decade?
I don't know anything about the company. However I thought that a college instructor was a crediable source.

In any case in my architectual renovation class we have the plans of what Warren Distributing had drawn when they bought the burlington station.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

These are the companies owned by Berkshire Hathaway:
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/subs/sublinks.html

Acme Brick Company
Ben Bridge Jeweler
Benjamin Moore & Co.
Berkshire Hathaway Group
Berkshire Hathaway Homestates Companies
Borsheim's Fine Jewelry
Buffalo NEWS, Buffalo NY
Central States Indemnity Company
Clayton Homes
CORT Business Services
CTB Inc.
Fechheimer Brothers Company
FlightSafety
Fruit of the Loom®
Garan Incorporated
GEICO Direct Auto Insurance
General Re
H.H. Brown Shoe Group
Helzberg Diamonds
International Dairy Queen, Inc.
Johns Manville
Jordan's Furniture
Justin Brands
Larson-Juhl
McLane Company
MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company
MiTek Inc.
National Indemnity Company
Nebraska Furniture Mart
NetJets®
Precision Steel Warehouse, Inc.
RC Willey Home Furnishings
Scott Fetzer Companies
See's Candies
Shaw Industries
Star Furniture
The Pampered Chef®
United States Liability Insurance Group
Wesco Financial Corporation
XTRA Corporation
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't doubt you, I was just letting you know what a college instructor has been telling students 4 times a year for the last several years. We all know that college instructors are not perfect.

I post only information I believe to be correct. When I am wrong, such is the case I will admit it.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No doubt someone heard the name Warren Distribution... and immediately thought it must be another Warren holding. :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Hey, I actually know "My" Boes. She'll do a really good job of it...being a designer and all.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
RyaninOrangeCounty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RyaninOrangeCounty »

I know My, too. My sister worked with her a couple of years ago and learned a lot more from her than interior design. She was kind enough to share her extensive list of business contacts with my sister. Nice person, great designer.

Glad to hear this is moving forward.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

This sounds promissing. I'm excited to see what they come up with. 40,000 sq ft doesn't seem like a great deal of space to fit that much into. Perhaps they can build a mezzanine in the great hall?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This sounds promissing. I'm excited to see what they come up with. 40,000 sq ft doesn't seem like a great deal of space to fit that much into.
The Alley Poyner plans we have at school for the Warren Dristribution project call for adding a third floor between the top floor and the roof. The main floor has close to 30' celings. The problem with the main floor is that it is not level and the current ramps and stairs do not meet code, so a lot of it must be re-worked.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Any new news on the Burlington? How close are they to finalizing plans? Will they still have the culinary school there? I have a friend who is thinking about going to such a school - is this going to happen any time soon?
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Well, I haven't heard anything new from the developers - I'm on their "email mailing list" but haven't gotten anything at all.

I do know they are really interested in getting Amtrak in the station and I was able to refer them to my contacts there.

And I also know they are not interested in getting Metro's Culinary Arts Program in there - they were not willing to negotiate with Metro, thus Metro is now looking for another space downtown.

It seems the developers are pretty straight-forward with their own ideas and not interested in leaning one way or another. They are really pushing for those two magic downtown development words - condos and retail - and are unfortunately hyped up about filling in the great hall with floors.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Zephyr wrote:They are really pushing for those two magic downtown development words - condos and retail - and are unfortunately hyped up about filling in the great hall with floors.
I don't like that at all! They should concentrate more on transportation. I was planning on shooting a movie there once they restored it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My architectual drafting instructor at metro is very interested in this project and has tried and tried to contact this group, with no luck. I also think they are going with their own ideas and don't want to hear from anyone else
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree that it sucks that they're filling in the great hall with floors. Boo!

But I absolutely hope they're successful in restoring and developing it. As long as the basement can be fully restored and become the Amtrak Station that would be awesome. The basement is GORGEOUS with vaulted ceilings and tile walls. It actually feels like a London Tube Station or a NY Subway Station.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

I'm not sure combining amtrack and residences is a great idea.

If I were a potential buyer, I'd rather hear that the tracks were being removed, therefor eliminating any chance of noisy trains running 25 feet from my bedroom wall.

I know there's some good sound proofing technology out there, but not that good.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Trins nowadays aren't the big giant coal gussling machines they once were. I imagine any train down their now would be electric and not be as loud. If we have missles that can go around the world and hit a target within 2' than I'm sure they can make a room a little quiet. They sould keep it available as a transportation hub. Not just for future DT light rail but for whenever they put in that Lincoln train as well.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, the California Zephyr trains certainly aren't electric. But they're also probably not as loud as one might think. Plus, trains have to go so slow through that dense corridore anyway.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

CHOO CHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shake shake rattle rattle.

Not sure the type of engine they use is the only issue.

Disclaimer: I have never lived 25 feet from a train station. Maybe trains today don't use their horns or shake the ground. It just seems like something that could scare potential buyers away.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Within reason, some people like living next to that kind of thing. It can be either a very urban or very nostalgic living arrangement, depending on how they look at it.

After living next to a very busy set of tracks in Ames (60+ trains a day), I could personally do without it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You know they'll just sell the noise as part of the ambeince. :) I used to live right across the street from the airport and after awhile you don't realize it's there.
DTO
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

Don't forget whose tracks those are... Your going to have some coal and intermodal trains coming through also.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Here in Chicago, I enjoyed living next to the el. I miss that. Makes it feel very urban. The Metra and Amtrak trains you don't hear nearly as much as the el.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Most of the trains that will be coming through are not modern Amtrac trains but heavy, old cargo and intermodal cars.

You have to take into consideration the target market. Sure some people don't mind trains that much and like the urban ambiance, etc. Some younger people will not be dissuaded by such realities, but that changes the target market and price point. There is a negative perception associated with living next to train tracks, smilare to living next to the airport. In development we always consider this a risk factor.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Burlington Station news is out

Post by jjjjhskr »

Omaha landmark to come back to life

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=1435459
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Good to hear.  I love that building and it will be great to see it come to life again. I heard that the amtrak station will be put in the lower level or something like that?  Any truth to that?