Burlington Station

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Re: Burlington Station

Post by Seth »

When was the interior gutted? KETV did a great job with what was there when they got it, but it's just so obvious there was an ornate interior that's now missing. It sounds like a lot of the original opulence was lost in the 1930s remodel, but I doubt they went down to the bare brick and roof trusses at that point.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:When was the interior gutted? KETV did a great job with what was there when they got it, but it's just so obvious there was an ornate interior that's now missing. It sounds like a lot of the original opulence was lost in the 1930s remodel, but I doubt they went down to the bare brick and roof trusses at that point.
Some time in 80's or 90's an architectural salvage company came in and cleaned a lot of it out.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

They did a great job of preserving the history, from the major 1930's renovation through to the 1980s gutting. I like how the building tells the story of its history. I don't mind seeing the raw brick and structure of the building along with the new finishes. That is way better than entirely covering everything up with new finishes bowing to the latest trends. The exterior lighting was very tastefully done too. All in all, we're very lucky the building is still part of our city and has been put to very good use.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GetUrban wrote:They did a great job of preserving the history, from the major 1930's renovation through to the 1980s gutting. I like how the building tells the story of its history. I don't mind seeing the raw brick and structure of the building along with the new finishes. That is way better than entirely covering everything up with new finishes bowing to the latest trends. The exterior lighting was very tastefully done too. All in all, we're very lucky the building is still part of our city and has been put to very good use.
That's a good point, if this would have been renovated in the 80s or 90s you can guarantee that brick would have been drywalled over.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Here's a half hour special all about the Burlington and KETV's renovation:

http://www.ketv.com/news/burlington-sta ... n/36078746
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

GetUrban wrote:They did a great job of preserving the history, from the major 1930's renovation through to the 1980s gutting. I like how the building tells the story of its history. I don't mind seeing the raw brick and structure of the building along with the new finishes. That is way better than entirely covering everything up with new finishes bowing to the latest trends. The exterior lighting was very tastefully done too. All in all, we're very lucky the building is still part of our city and has been put to very good use.
I agree, I think they've done a great job with what's there. Don't mind my wistful nostalgia for every piece of ornate architecture that's been lost to time.