Omaha by Design recommendations

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Omaha by Design recommendations

Post by eomaha »

recommendations Adobe document (ie .PDF)
Omaha World Herald wrote: New master plan pushes city to 'expect the best'

A new "downtown" rising at 72nd and Dodge Streets. A flag-lined gateway to the city on West Dodge Road at 192nd Street. A hip boulevard emerging at 90th and Maple Streets.

Those and other recommendations, unveiled Thursday for Omaha By Design, were hailed as a practical vision to transform the city for the next generation.

The 21 goals and 73 recommendations went well beyond how to demand more attractive construction by large retailers and subdivision developers.

A year ago, the $750,000 project was launched in partial reaction to an outcry for more high-quality retail development by Wal-Mart, Home Depot and other large national retailers.

"Design guidelines are about preventing the worst," said Jonathan Barnett, the Philadelphia-based urban design consultant.

The additions being proposed for the city's master plan are about "expecting the best," Barnett said, by bringing out Omaha's natural beauty, creating distinctive civic centers and enhancing the livability of its neighborhoods.

The plan covers everything from planting trees in parking lots to designing a futuristic transformation of Dodge Street.

Dodge, from the Missouri River to the new development stretching toward the Elkhorn River, is to Omaha what Wilshire Boulevard is to Los Angeles and what Peachtree Street is to Atlanta, Barnett said.

This is no pie-in-the sky proposal, city and community officials insist. The recommendations were hammered out by an advisory group that included developers who have bought into the plan and would be key sources of funding any changes.

Jay Noddle, a leading commercial developer in Omaha and a member of the review committee, said the plan creates a framework for developers to work from for decades to come. That well-organized vision, along with city government's support, will be critically important to developers looking to make an investment.

"These kinds of efforts help cities differentiate themselves," Noddle said.

Mayor Mike Fahey promised that the plan will go to the City Planning Board next month and could be adopted by the City Council as early as Dec. 7.

Raising the city's standards and its attractiveness are essential if the city is to continue its current momentum to attract new people and new corporations, said Rex Fisher, president of Qwest Nebraska and chairman of Lively Omaha.

Lively Omaha is the privately funded organization affiliated with the Omaha Community Foundation that co-sponsored Omaha By Design with the city. Lively Omaha raised the funds for the effort, with a $400,000 grant from the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben and the remainder coming from 11 corporations and two family foundations.

Among the more futuristic concepts in the report:

• The transformation of Capitol Avenue downtown, leading up to Central High School.

• Creation of an office and residential center at 72nd and Dodge Streets.

• The revitalization and beautification of 90th and Maple Streets.

The current Interstate 480 exit onto 20th Street would be replaced under one dramatic plan, creating space for a plaza leading to Central High School and opening the area to development. A new exit would carry Interstate traffic to 17th Street.

At 72nd and Dodge, the concept is to ring the intersection with 10-story office or condo buildings, with a residential area stretching west from Crossroads to a new, small lake where Cole Creek flows into the Little Papio Creek at about 78th Street.

At 90th and Maple Streets, few realize that Cole Creek flows under the commercial development just north of Maple Street, joining the Little Papio at about Keystone Drive. Cole Creek would reappear under the plan.

Barnett, the urban design expert, and others described the commercial area as "tired" and said it and could be totally redone as an anchor for the Keystone neighborhood.

Fisher announced that private donors are helping to finance a closer look at the Cole-Little Papio Creek areas as a more natural water area, perhaps with water falls and ponds.

While those changes could take decades, several initial steps are under way.

Action plans should be adopted for each part of the city, Fahey said.

"We want to spread our success throughout our community," Fahey said.

According to the report, "The challenge in Omaha is to preserve and restore the older neighborhoods and keep them as attractive as the newer parts of the city while creating some elements of traditional neighborhoods in new areas."

The next neighborhood targeted for redevelopment is the Benson commercial area and the residential areas surrounding it, Fahey said.

Janet Wetovick-Bily, owner of Petals By Janet in downtown Benson, said she was excited about the potential to revitalize the area. She said a core group of Benson merchants have started creating a vision, and the new initiative will help achieve it.

"This is an incredible day for Benson," she said.

No other city has taken such a comprehensive plan for its future, Barnett said.

"I think Omaha could become a 'first-choice city,'" Barnett said, "like Portland. . . . The fundamentals are very sound. It has terrific potential."

Recommended first steps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green Omaha: Create a park along the Keystone Trail near 78th and Cass Streets, where Cole Creek meets the Little Papio Creek.

Civic Omaha: Enhance the Gene Leahy Mall downtown to make it more people friendly, with another pedestrian bridge and perhaps a restaurant.

Neighborhood Omaha: Create a development plan for 15 broad neighborhood alliances, beginning in Benson, using the model from the recently completed Midtown project.

Next steps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct. 20: Public session and explanation, 6:30 p.m., Scott Conference Center, 6450 Pine St.

Nov. 3: Omaha Planning Board takes up the proposal.

Nov. 14: Special insert and public questionnaire distributed with the Omaha World-Herald.

Nov. 30: City Council public hearing.

Dec. 7: City Council vote on adding the proposal to the city's master plan.

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

A few renderings I lifted out of their document...

(a bunch of others are under http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/omahabydesign ... feel free to browse...I'll add descriptions later)

Surprise, surprise... the focus centers on the Dodge Street corridor... as it should. I guess the 'gateway' just short of Elkhorn is the line in the sand... "Just stop the westward sprawl for once and for all!" ... and let's work with what we have... which is alot.

Public plaza and new mixed used development below Central High School

Gene Leahy Mall restaurant

Bridge lighting

The most dramatic proposal... turning 72nd and Dodge into the 'Plaza'
:)

Today

Tomorrow

Wouldn't it be nice if something even remotely close to this were proposed at Aksarben (Noddle keeps referring to this 'urban village'... come on... impress us man!).
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I wish our bridges could look as nice as the new bridges through Des Moines. They have a nice blue arching fence design on the pedastrian fences, and even the design of the concrete was thought out. The Des Moines bridges look nicer than these "lighted" bridges, but at least it's a step in the right direction!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yes... Des Moines really has it's bridges down. The lighting improvements would be one of the more cost feasible ideas.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

This is going to be a Huge step forward for Omaha if all of these plans are genuinely worked on
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Wow! That plaza design has me salivating!

I had to smile when Omaha by Design mentioned modelling Dodge Street after Wilshire Blvd. I've been imagining the same thing since I moved to LA. When you drive down the 10 Freeway and look north, you see a 17-mile long string of highrises, punctuated by the DT LA and Century City highrise clusters. Omaha could mimic this (on a smaller scale) with a string of highrises along Dodge punctuated with clusters at DTO and Midtown.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Keeping in mind OhioKid this is just the recommendations for a master plan... not specific proposals for development. If we were even to see 'standards' adopted for following more of a '4 corners' scheme in developments around intersections, or the incorporation of more landscaping, etc, etc... it would be huge for the city. The 72nd and Dodge proposal is more akin to what we saw in the 'Marina City' vision. What you see downtown today is the 'real life' interpretation. Anything happening in the future at 72nd and Dodge will obviously depend heavily on our cities leadership, the cooperation/interest of developers, not to speak of money (a literal interpretation of the rendering above would take LOTS of it).
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I realize that, but I'm still salivating. :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I love the 72& Dodge renderings, but I realize that it is more of a dream than a reality. However, the bridge design, boulavards, and other landscaping should start immediately. Too bad all of the bridges along I80 from the Missouri River to Gretna have all been re-done since 1990, and along I680 all of the bridges except Pacific have all been re-done in the past few years. I am totally in favor of revitilizing older parts of town, rether than moving all of the good stuff west
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow! :shock: This is some visioning.
Now if we can get everyone to the table and agree.
This will be a test of leadership, planning and promoting Omaha to businesses.
A few more adaptations of the Omaha has Space video should be in the making.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think this is all absolutely fabulous, and I feel priveledged that it's happening in my lifetime.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 72nd and Dodge proposal!!!!!!

It reminds me of the kind of high-density development I saw in and around Washington D.C. last spring.

Having high-density "nodes" in the city such as Downtown, and what Midtown and Crossroads will become, make great hubs for light rail lines :).
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Love the plan! I wonder if the "west entryway" at 192nd and Dodge will put a kibash on Elkhorn annexation.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

What I really like about the concept on 72nd & Dodge is the better use of the land. The area in question has to be home to some of the most expensive parking lots in town. For what should be one of our most identifiable areas of town(Really the "crossroads" of our city), it is just terribly laid out. The large parking lots and strip centers are a gigantic waste. Also keep in mind the area around the intersection is home to a local fast food restaurant, no room for anything so how about an ATM, a electronic billboard, and Borders which is ok, but right next to it is the verizon strip center, and an ugly podiatrist's office.
I will say I am a little befuddled :? by the Cole Creek plan. The seem to put a lot of stock into what is one of the most disgusting portions of the city. Part of that of course comes from the days when the creeks were considered a dumping ground and not natural beauty.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

New urbanism, mixed use developments, lovin it.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Very outstanding proposals, indeed! I especially love the Crossroads plan as well. Just north of me in Boulder, they are tearing down their "Crossroads Mall" and building a jive 29th Street town center - everytime I hear about it, makes me think of Omaha's new plan.

Too bad I can't make the meeting next Wednesday... I am especially going to miss the cookies and free magnets!
what Midtown and Crossroads will become, make great hubs for light rail lines
There should be a light rail/streetcar group for Omaha, or at least a website... :wink:
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

:D
My impressions of the plan:
1. Thankfully they recognized that westward expansion cannot continue forever. The Elkhorn floodplain creates a natural boundary. I think the city should push within the next five years to annex all land east of the Elkhorn river. Including the city of Elkhorn.
2. There is no mention of a north-south resticted access highway in west O, or a wider interstate loop. I think such an interstate at 240th street would be too far out to be convenient.
3. The Crossroads area plan reminded me of the Plaza area in KC with the highrise apartments and retail near the river.
4. Why is the second pedestrian bridge in the CP mall so oddly placed. Use the straight line and enter the bridge through the stone arch at 11th and Farnam. Convert 11th street to a pedestrian mall from Capitol to Leavenworth. A nice walk from SOMA to the Qwest Center area and whatever develops when Swanson is gone.
5. I liked the mention of 'Dark sky' lighting fixtures. Jhuston, was that your contribution to the plan?
6. Trees in the parking lots, I like it! We just need to wait for someone to complain about sap dripping on their Hummer. :wink:
7. Density! Fill in and build up.
:D
It's a great start. I hope the will and the money will be available to see it happen.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

204th Street is not too far out... it's already evolving into "880". 370 is evolving as well and will ultimately be the east/west piece of the loop. I see no bottlenecks in the metro roads system through the next 20-25 years. Heck, we're spoiled here compared to many cities.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hate to be the killjoy here, but I don't really care for a "new downtown" at 72nd & Dodge. New offices and condos should be in the real downtown. I have a feeling that it would turn into another Old Mill area or fancy suburban office park. I think Omaha needs to do more to encourage people to get out of west O and go to DT. After all I think everyone here would want to see more 10 story or more condos and the infill of DT offices so we can get another building.

The guy from Philladelphia made me a little mad one time. I saw him on tv talking about Omaha's roads. He kept going on how Omaha wasn't a real big city. He kept refering to 72nd & Dodge as a suburban intersection. It's not DT but it ain't Papillion either.

KC can keep the Plaza. It's to sanitized for me. I think we should build upon the momentum we have DT with more residences and offices. I don't call my self DTO Luv for nothing. The residences that could be at Crossroads don't bother me as much since DT residential is doing well alreasy. I don't want to see a big suburban style office park in the middle of Omaha. I would rather see one 50 story building DT than five 10 story ones at Crossroads. I do really like the restaurant idea for the GL Mall. I think a floating restaurant in Heartalnd of America Park would be cool too.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

That is exactly what I thought when I first saw it.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

No news here.. just wondering if anyone's heard anything further on this master plan. I hope they can get something ironed out and surprise us. I also hope they remember.. average effort gets you average results...
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exactly, Count. It's one thing to have the vision and to make the plan, but we need to see some AGRESSION. Let's get this done!!! Along with all the other plans "on the drawing board"!!! Come on. Action!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

wouldnt the 72nd and dodge streets proposal call for the demolition of atleast a hundred businesses? That area is very dense with buildings, and tearing down everything west of crossroads until the creek would be a lot of demolition.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I love the proposals at 72nd and Dodge and also the bridge lighting. I agree that Des Moines does have some asthetically pleasing bridges but the lighting would be a cost effective alternative. I hope that both of these proposals become a reality sometime in the next 5-10 yrs. I especially think that the bridge lighting could happen this summer or next.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

omahastylee459 wrote:wouldnt the 72nd and dodge streets proposal call for the demolition of atleast a hundred businesses? That area is very dense with buildings, and tearing down everything west of crossroads until the creek would be a lot of demolition.
I've wondered this, too. My opinion is, without a doubt, if they could build this thing next month on the condition that all the businesses that are in the way get demolished tomorrow, I say ABSOLUTELY go for it. The fact is, that area, like most of Omaha, was allowed to develop without any planning. We can't just pretend the problem doesn't exist. I think something drastic has to be done. Yeah, it would upset off a bunch of business owners, but the city as a whole would be better off for it.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
omahastylee459 wrote:wouldnt the 72nd and dodge streets proposal call for the demolition of atleast a hundred businesses? That area is very dense with buildings, and tearing down everything west of crossroads until the creek would be a lot of demolition.
I've wondered this, too. My opinion is, without a doubt, if they could build this thing next month on the condition that all the businesses that are in the way get demolished tomorrow, I say ABSOLUTELY go for it. The fact is, that area, like most of Omaha, was allowed to develop without any planning. We can't just pretend the problem doesn't exist. I think something drastic has to be done. Yeah, it would upset off a bunch of business owners, but the city as a whole would be better off for it.
I've been thinking about this a lot and there really should be some sort of compensation for those businesses.

I was thinking that the developers/city/whoever should offer the businesses reduced rent to be in the new buildings. That is, say to the businesses, "sorry we're putting you out of a home, but if you want to stay in the same spot only have much much much much much better digs, we'll offer you a discount in rent for the next 5 years."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exactly. I think that's the kind of deal that will need to be struck.

Maybe some sort of sweet deal can be struck where the developers will even help them pay for the move to temporary space and then give then discounted space in the new development. Absolutely.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Pay those business's off.. you'll create 10 times more business with what's being drawn out there. It's unthinkable.. :shock:
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Exactly. I think that's the kind of deal that will need to be struck.

Maybe some sort of sweet deal can be struck where the developers will even help them pay for the move to temporary space and then give then discounted space in the new development. Absolutely.

Dude, why don't we run this city?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha. We may end up doing just that. You never know.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Haha. We may end up doing just that. You never know.
Who knows. I'm moving to San Francisco next fall though. :?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Are you really? I have to say I saw it coming since your girlfriend lives out there. Are you going to go to school there?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Are you really? I have to say I saw it coming since your girlfriend lives out there. Are you going to go to school there?
Yes, I'm going to film school/being poor out there.

We should un-hijack this thread though. 8)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's exactly what I was just going to say after you answered that question.

Consider this thread back on the topic of Omaha By Design.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for posting that.

except....
One day, he said, the whole of downtown – from the Qwest Center to the Henry Doorly Zoo – could be linked together. And while we’re thinking big… word has it the zoo might get a panda one day.
The zoo is not downtown.

This is my favorite quote...
“Omaha is on a roll, there’s no doubt. We have to make sure we’re always looking for the next project, making sure there’s a vision to continue making the community strong.”