Omaha Steel Castings Redevelopment

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

UrbanPlanner
New to the Neighborhood

Post by UrbanPlanner »

Downtown would be great, but other then that this is a great location.  It's in the heart of an area with lots of young professionals and is within 2.5 miles of Creighton, UNO, and UNMC and their combined 25,000 students, both key customers for these types of facilities.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

UrbanPlanner wrote:Downtown would be great, but other then that this is a great location.  It's in the heart of an area with lots of young professionals and is within 2.5 miles of Creighton, UNO, and UNMC and their combined 25,000 students, both key customers for these types of facilities.
Cool idea!  Reminds me of North Market in Columbus.  http://www.northmarket.com/

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went to place like that out in Berkley, CA last summer, it was really cool!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Or Seattle's Pike Place Market, or Boston's Quincy Market.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

or River Market in KC.

I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Seth wrote:or River Market in KC.

I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon.
Something like that would be SO cool on the riverfront here.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't think River Market is nearly as cool as other place I have been too.  Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of potential at River Market, but they day we went there, I wasn't impressed.
UrbanPlanner
New to the Neighborhood

Post by UrbanPlanner »

All great markets in the US!  I think with the combined interest in locally sourced fresh foods (meats, fruits, and vegetables) and the food cart explosion we are seeing around the country, something like this would work well in our challenging climate (though this winter has been fantastic).  I think if you tap into Metro, Iowa Western and Bellevue University's culinary schools, the many young talented chefs working in town, and the ethnic communities in town, you could get a really eclectic mix of foods.  Think 10-12 vendors selling fruit, vegetables, fish, local pork, chicken and beef, fresh sausage, pastries, bread, flowers, cheese (i'm amazed there is no specialty cheese store in this town aside from Whole Foods), then 10-15 vendors selling wood fired pizza, niche BBQ, dim sum, Turkish Pizza, Pho, Vietnamese sandwiches, chicken and waffles, sushi, a small batch beer and wine vendor you have an incredible environment to support Omaha culinary community.   The idea, which is the same as the food truck movement, is to allow easier entry into the restaurant business, especially for niche foods that likely could not support a full blown restaurant.  Korean BBQ probably has enough fans, or could garner enough fans, to support a 1-2 man stand in a market like Omaha, but to open a full brick and mortar store, buy tables, dishes, kit out a full kitchen, hire wait staff, etc, would likely not get off the ground or survive.  

Something like this should garner wide support.  Offering the community more access to fresh food should appeal to the healthy aspirations of the med center.  
Local Economic Development agencies should be interested in this as well.  Though technically this would fall under the category of "retail" which isn't a particularly strong economic development tool in the traditional sense (the pay isn't usually good, it tends to not create a ton of jobs, the multiplier effect is quite low, other then franchises the owners do not live locally so it isn't building local wealth, it does though ad some tax revenue) something like this would hit on many ED goals; job creation, job retention, tax-base creation, increase in property values, retention of wealth, reduction of poverty, economic stability, economic self-sufficiency, and complementarity.  The northern most building can take about 30 booths, that is 30 locally owned small business, employing maybe 1-2 people in addition to themselves so that is 60-90 workers, not counting the support staff running the building (maintenance, cleaning, dish washers, security, management), these local owner live locally, shop locally, own or rent homes locally, so they are adding to the local tax base, they are contribution to a multiplier effect, the are economic self-sufficient, and this business is complementary to the local agricultural roots.  Nebraska and Iowa have defined growing seasons, and many farmers focus on specific cash crops but if they had an increased ability to get food directly to consumers this would allow farmers to diversify, this is a great multiplier created.  You already have some farmers doing this for farmers markets, and you have some great local meat producers like Travis Dunekacke of TD Niche Pork who breads and sells heritage breeds of hogs, specializing in Berkshire, located near Nebraska City.  If someone like that could set up a stand or supply a stand, that would greatly increase his business potential.  

This would be a great amenity to the neighborhood.  Though this area of town is often criticized in these forums, this part of town has a large core of professionals, and with the ever expanding med center something like this could attract more.  As I stated in an earlier post, there are also 25,000 students within 2.5 miles of this site, including many that also live in the area. Something like this though tends to be a city wide amenity as well.  

Sorry for the long reply.  I have been thinking about this for years.  It's great to know there is interest in something like this out there.
UrbanPlanner
New to the Neighborhood

Post by UrbanPlanner »

Cool idea!  Reminds me of North Market in Columbus.  http://www.northmarket.com/

Nice photos iamjacobm... Columbus has one of the best markets in the country.  That one is really great.
Xxtro
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Xxtro »

With Omaha Steel moving to Wahoo I'm sure UNMC is just chomping at the bit to get there hands on that land for their expansion efforts.  According to the article, it sounds like it could go to various developers for a potential Midtown Crossing or Aksarben Village style development too.  Either way it would be a nice upgrade for the area.  

http://omaha.com/article/20120113/NEWS01/701139887
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Xxtro wrote:With Omaha Steel moving to Wahoo I'm sure UNMC is just chomping at the bit to get there hands on that land for their expansion efforts.  According to the article, it sounds like it could go to various developers for a potential Midtown Crossing or Aksarben Village style development too.  Either way it would be a nice upgrade for the area.  

A Midtown crossing like development there? Is it even big enough to do something like that?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Xxtro wrote:With Omaha Steel moving to Wahoo I'm sure UNMC is just chomping at the bit to get there hands on that land for their expansion efforts.  According to the article, it sounds like it could go to various developers for a potential Midtown Crossing or Aksarben Village style development too.  Either way it would be a nice upgrade for the area.  

A Midtown crossing like development there? Is it even big enough to do something like that?
Take a look at the third picture in that article and you'll see how big the property is.
ProductivCitizen
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ProductivCitizen »

Hey all, just landed in the Blackstone area a few weeks ago, and this area is just east, down Leavenworth from where I'm at....

what are the latest developments on this land, and where's a good place to find out? (other than simply asking here..)

PS: nice town you got here!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There has been a lot of talk about this property seeing an Aksarben Village like development in conjunction with the UNMC cancer center.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.wahoo-ashland-waverly.com/ne ... f887a.html
With the wet spring weather, Omaha Steel Castings Company is not quite ready to start operations at its new plant east of Wahoo.

“Our new target date is July 1,” said OSCC President Phil Teggart as the Greater Wahoo Development Foundation members toured the Wahoo plant on June 5. “We are hoping by the end of September, first week in October, to be ready to hold an open house for the community.”
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This morning's paper's headline was "Move Stokes Foundry"

Will workers commute to Wahoo after Omaha Steel plant gears up?
Steve Jordon: World-Herald staff writer wrote:James Maenner, vice president of CB Richard Ellis/Mega real estate, who represents the owners, said he is in “pretty active discussion” with an out-of-down developer, and two others have toured the site, as well as one local developer. They have hotel and retail projects in mind.

The University of Nebraska Medical Center, located just across Saddle Creek Road from the old foundry, made an offer last spring based on an appraisal that was substantially below the asking price, said Donald Leuenberger, vice chancellor of the medical center. “We’re not within shouting range.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Like the sound of hotel a lot and retail is nice.  Housing should be included on this property though.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Maybe something along the lines of what 80 Dodge was supposed to accomplish...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This land has a bright future.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:This land has a bright future.
Have you heard anything about it?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:This land has a bright future.
Have you heard anything about it?
The Saddle Creek relocation is still very much in play and the powers that be are going to get a hotel built one way or another.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Ah. I see. The site could really be something if they had a more progressive design for this potential hotel, perhaps something to compliment the new cancer center.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:Ah. I see. The site could really be something if they had a more progressive design for this potential hotel, perhaps something to compliment the new cancer center.
UNMC is the main player pushing for a hotel on the site, I am sure they want something to compliment their campus.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Ah. I see. The site could really be something if they had a more progressive design for this potential hotel, perhaps something to compliment the new cancer center.
UNMC is the main player pushing for a hotel on the site, I am sure they want something to compliment their campus.
Then that means it has a major player backing it. I hope we get more than a typical run of the mill hotel, though.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Then that means it has a major player backing it. I hope we get more than a typical run of the mill hotel, though.
Idk if I would say backing, that suggests putting up $$ for it.  Just that they are highly in favor of a hotel being built in conjunction with the new Cancer Center.  The odds are that this land wouldn't be a hodgepodge development either.  There will be a very well thought out plan for the land to support the Med Center.

This land is going to be a game changer for Dundee and the other Midtown neighborhoods.  It will take some time, but having an economic force like UNMC is an incredible positive.  For instance, UNMC is a larger economic force than MoO is development wise, put that in perspective.

I would be shocked if there wasn't a relocated Saddle Creek, anchor hotel, hundreds of apartments and retail space by 2020 on this land.  North Downtown wishes it had the potential of this property.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Idk if I would say backing, that suggests putting up $$ for it.  Just that they are highly in favor of a hotel being built in conjunction with the new Cancer Center.  The odds are that this land wouldn't be a hodgepodge development either.  There will be a very well thought out plan for the land to support the Med Center.

This land is going to be a game changer for Dundee and the other Midtown neighborhoods.  It will take some time, but having an economic force like UNMC is an incredible positive.  For instance, UNMC is a larger economic force than MoO is development wise, put that in perspective.

I would be shocked if there wasn't a relocated Saddle Creek, anchor hotel, hundreds of apartments and retail space by 2020 on this land.  North Downtown wishes it had the potential of this property.

Sorry, I should have been more specific in saying it has major "support". I didn't mean to insinuate that UNMC would be funding this, but having a major entity saying they really like the idea means investors/developers will take a liking to the area.

If we get an anchor hotel, retail, and apartments...this would be a huge thing for improving the entire area. I can't even begin to imagine how it'll look in 2020 if all goes like it could. Moving Saddle Creek is just something I can't imagine since I've known it for so long..(now, that's saying I can't envision the area without the street...not saying I don't support the move). So neat, and so odd at the same time for me.

As far as North Downtown, it's potential lies with Shamrock. If that fails, North Downtown you can pretty much forget about. But that's another thread :D
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Saddle Creek won't move that far.  Just about a block west to allow flood control and green space.
brick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by brick »

the saddle creek road project is on the list to receive federal funding.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Saddle Creek isnt even on a project list at this point.  There was a concept done years ago.  Although the med ctr could get it revived, there would still be years of work before anything could happen, not to mention actually finding any money.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

cdub wrote:Saddle Creek isnt even on a project list at this point.  There was a concept done years ago.  Although the med ctr could get it revived, there would still be years of work before anything could happen, not to mention actually finding any money.
Well from what I've seen about the move, UNMC would be paying for most of it. And it's actually on the 2014-2019 TIP (http://www.mapacog.org/images/stories/T ... AL_web.pdf). According to the TIP, UNMC is the lead agency and construction would occur in 2015-2016.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131007/N ... ddle-creek
Fitzgerald, of American National, said the bank is being a good corporate citizen. The city asked the bank to dedicate 30 feet of land along Saddle Creek Road for the road's possible westward shift, and American National is offering 60 feet of land.
Although the City of Omaha has not included moving Saddle Creek Road west in its five-year capital improvement plan, Hansen said that idea is not dead.
The fact that they are willing to set their building back that far incase of a possible street relocation says a lot to me.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Omaha Steel Castings Property

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140329/M ... 28540/1707
The University of Nebraska Medical Center and the owner have agreed on a $5 million price for the Omaha Steel Castings property at 46th and Farnam Streets.

UNMC plans to buy the property, subject to an environmental assessment and other studies and approval by the NU Board of Regents. Medical Center spokesman Tom O’Connor said Friday that studies could be completed within a month.

The 12-acre site would be redeveloped for campus expansion.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, I guess it is official. So does the clock start on a Saddle Creek move?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Demo soon? Lots of bulldozers/excavators were spread across the property today.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Saw survey crews on the property on Monday and Wednesday. Last week, there were crews assessing one of the old brick structures. Wonder if they might try to keep one or two of them for the new development.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Demo soon?  Lots of bulldozers/excavators were spread across the property today.
I know demolition will begin on all the random single-story structures soon. I don't know what/when is planned for the large industrial buildings, though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well lots of buildings along Saddle Creek have come down as well as a number on the Steel Castings land. I have seen that the constructions workers for the Cancer Center are using land here to park.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

E_L_Cut
New to the Neighborhood

Post by E_L_Cut »

As a homeowner in the area I never minded the Steel Casting Plant. It was kind of a unique background. A little retail/restaurant area would be nice, though. Of course, the property value boost from further UNMC expansion is even nicer.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I don't live down the street but I live close enough not to miss the smell.
15-17, 26, 32