The Joslyn Castle

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

The Joslyn Castle

Post by Coyote »

Restoring the bloom to Joslyn Castle's grounds
Omaha World Herald wrote:After nearly a century, the grounds around Joslyn Castle are about to get a full-blown face-lift with flowering trees, long-lasting roses, native plants and benches.  A major landscape restoration spearheaded by Friends of Joslyn Castle started this month. No such project has been attempted since a tornado swept through the area on Easter in 1913.

"We hope to generate enthusiasm for the restoration of the castle grounds, which were spectacular at the turn of the last century," said Kathleen Schoner, president of the Omaha Council of Garden Clubs, which is involved in the project.

The project includes:

• Planting 120 hardy roses, called Earthkind, near the kitchen and utility areas on the castle's north side. Companion plants, such as grasses, irises and other perennial flowers, also will be planted.

• Restoring a lily pond on the west side. Archaeology students excavated the pond in 1994.

• Building a sanctuary with birdhouses and flowering trees.

• Constructing a grape arbor on the east side of the grounds.

• Building a greenhouse for entertaining and meetings - and to reduce the wear and tear on the castle itself. The greenhouse and the grape arbor won't be completed until later.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That is awesome!  Joslyn Art Museum is such a gorgeous building, I don't know why this wasn't done sooner.  Speaking of Joslyn, I recently came to know the "Joslyn Castle" home in Omaha, and I was wondering why they don't landscape that place.  If I owned such a gorgeous, inner city home, I would make sure it had a gorgeous lawn.

Oh, I'm getting old -- just sitting around, thinking about plants & lawns.  Yesterday, I was reading a book on vegetable gardens, and planning on starting one.  I had it all planned out in my head: It was going to a huge garden.  Then, I didn't buy the book.  Not ready this year.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

GRID wrote:That is awesome!  Joslyn Art Museum is such a gorgeous building, I don't know why this wasn't done sooner.  Speaking of Joslyn, I recently came to know the "Joslyn Castle" home in Omaha, and I was wondering why they don't landscape that place.  If I owned such a gorgeous, inner city home, I would make sure it had a gorgeous lawn.
Not sure if I'm missing something here, but the article is talking about the Joslyn Castle (which you mention), not the museum.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You are correct - this article is about the Joslyn Castle's acreage not the Art Museum whose grounds are also getting a facelift: Joslyn to build sculpture garden
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh my gosh.  I feel so stupid.  There is no excuse for this one.  I think because the thread was titled just "Joslyn's grounds" I put the museum in my mind when I clicked on the thread, and then skimmed the article quickly.  I did read the article, because I remember reading about the roses, and the tornado of 1913.  Again, I feel stupid.

I am so happy that Joslyn Castle's grounds are getting a make-over.  It is so weird.  Just last week, I was saying to my Mom (while looking for apartments in the area) something like:  "How could such a gorgeous old home have such a plain yard?"
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Around and About
Karen Sundell WORLD-HERALD CORRESPONDENT wrote:During Father’s Day weekend, Joslyn Castle’s 5.5-acre estate at 39th and Davenport Streets will be transformed into a site for classic cars, vintage fashions, and old-time games and music.

Joslyn Castle Classic Weekend will debut June 18 with a fashion show and luncheon. Modeling will begin at 11 a.m. under the Palm Pavilion on the Castle grounds. Guests can view new and vintage fashions from She-la’s, Lafayette 148 and Pish Posh, plus one-of-a-kind estate jewelry from Borsheim’s.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nonprofit buying Joslyn Castle

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101202/N ... lyn-castle
Martha Stoddard WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:The state plans to sell Joslyn Castle to the Joslyn Castle Trust, the private nonprofit organization that has been operating and maintaining the property.

David Levy, president of the trust, said the transfer is set to take place Dec. 17.

“We're thrilled with the opportunity, but it's both an opportunity and a challenge,” he said. “The community can rest assured that the castle and grounds will be in good hands from this day forward and will remain the architectural jewel it has always been.”

Levy said the trust will continue making the property available to the public for educational and cultural activities and for private events such as weddings.
Brad
City Council

Re: The Joslyn Castle

Post by Brad »

I have a photo of the Joslyn Castle in the Gallery right now and I am surperised how many people don't know what or where the castle is! Granted we get a lot of tourists, but even locals don't seem to know.

Here is the photo:

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Where is it?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Where is it?
40th and 3 or 4 blocks north of Dodge St.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

3902 Davenport St. The Gold Coast area has some really beautiful houses.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That's no joke, I just met an architect who lives on 38th and California WOW. Even u didn't know houses like that were over there.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A few blocks from my place! Really an Omaha gem, and yes that area of town has some incredible architecture. Joslyn, St. Cecilia's and the Gold Coast are great.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Indigenous Peoples' Day Celebration
Oct. 10, Mon at 1:00PM - 4:00PM
3902 Davenport St

The White Eagle Club and the Joslyn Castle & Gardens invite you to join us for a celebration of the history and heritage of Omaha's First Nations People on Indigeneous Peoples' Day.

Monday, October 10, from 1pm-4pm, the community will gather on the lawns of the historic property for traditional dancing performed by the White Eagle Club Dancers of the Omaha Nation Public School with a drum circle featuring the Whitetail Boyz of Macy, NE. Next, we gather for a shared traditional meal of soup and frybread prepared by members of the tribe.

Guests are invited to stay after the meal for an exclusive Omaha premier of the new documentary "The Life and Legacy of Dr. Susan La Fleche Picotte," screened inside of the Joslyn Castle.

This is a FREE event and everyone is invited. Bring your own chairs and blankets for an afternoon of celebration on the lawns of the Joslyn Castle and Gardens, located at 3902 Davenport Street, Omaha 68131.
White Eagle Club
sponsors: Dustin Lovejoy, Donelle Lovejoy, and Libby Webster.

The First American Indian Doctor | Unladylike2020 | American Masters | PBS

American Masters PBS
Official website: http://www.pbs.org/unladylike2020 | #Unladylike2020PBS
Susan La Flesche Picotte became the first American Indian woman to graduate from medical school, and is notable for founding an independently funded hospital on the Omaha reservation in Nebraska
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Indigenous Peoples' Day Celebration in Omaha

Omaha World-Herald
Traditional dancing performed by the White Eagle Club Dancers of the Omaha Nation Public School with a drum circle featuring the Whitetail Boyz outside Joslyn Castle in Omaha on Monday, Oct. 10, 2022.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'Native American Day is everyday': Santee Sioux Tribe celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's Joslyn Castle celebrates cultural arts designation

Joslyn Castle and Cathedral celebrated its cultural arts designation in style on Thursday.
skip
Home Owners Association

Post by skip »

shouldn't this post and a good amount of the posts before it be on the entertainment thread? not development related at all