The Clarinda and The Page

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: The Clarinda and The Page

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Thanks, still wish there was one closer to Creighton's campus or downtown since the company is from Omaha.  I just hope that Mutual knows what they are doing, I don't want to see all these blocks sit vacant or become parking lots.  That would be counter-productive to what they are trying to create in Midtown.
Completely agree. Clearly I wish this building could of been saved. That clearly isn't the case, but if Mutual needs another larger chunk of office space because they are growing and put up something that is to scale and continues the pedestrian environment I will get over the loss. I have to think Mutual will want to support their $300 million investment. I hope they impress us.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

SaveOmaha wrote: I'm pretty certain Mutual of Omaha doesn't want that land vacant for very long. That would be such a blight to the area. I'm upset about the Clarinda like most people are, but if Mutual is going to develop the land themselves, I just hope that it fits into the character of the area, and has some sort of street-level retail.
I agree. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the street-level retail is sparse or absent; they have so much in MTC. I would bet on at least a corner coffee shop, though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Only thing left in that stretch of row is the partially gutted Clarinda/Page and the old Little king building. Everything else is torn down.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There were some claims that the liquor store has a lease till 2017 and that they wouldn't tear that down till then. I am not sure I believe that Mutual wouldn't just buy that lease out toget that building gone too.
Omaha-BstonGuy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omaha-BstonGuy »

Hello all. I've been following this forum for a long time and finally decided to register. I live in Midtown and see the progress every day. I will try to get some pics later. I heard a "rumor" from someone who works at MTC that they plan to put some sort of retail development in the spot where they are tearing all of this down.

Also, I know some folks are for the Clarinda and the page..and in my oppinion, it is located out of place, it will be surrounded by brand new buildings in the next several years. The only way I can see it looking good to save is if they manage to save the shell and put a modern building within and above it...such as this example:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome to eOmahaForums Omaha-BstonGuy! Looking forward to some of your pics from this area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just saw this on Twitter...
@nkgoodrich wrote:Image
Omaha-BstonGuy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omaha-BstonGuy »

Aha, was just going to post that now Brad. How do I manage to upload pics from my cell to this forum? I have several. Excuse my incompetence but it seems a little harder to do than uploading to FB/texting/Whatsapp.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha-BstonGuy wrote:Aha, was just going to post that now Brad. How do I manage to upload pics from my cell to this forum? I have several. Excuse my incompetence but it seems a little harder to do than uploading to FB/texting/Whatsapp.
Check out this thread:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Live video...
http://www.ketv.com/news/breaking-news- ... m/23241082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its going to be gone today.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sad day :cry:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Still love this picture you took back in Jan 2010:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Still love this picture you took back in Jan 2010:
Thanks!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Just drove by on my way home and more than half the building was gone.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Time lapse video of it coming down:
http://www.ketv.com/news/clarindapage-c ... n/29703888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omaha-BstonGuy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omaha-BstonGuy »

The area here at the Clarinda has been completely cleared except for Sam's liquor. They covered the hole where the Clarinda was and there is just dirt there, as well as on the opposite side at the Park/Farnam intersection. The guy who owns the Liquor store says he doesn't even know what will happen with him, because he has not even been informed of anything by MoO. Apparently they are very hush hush about it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha-BstonGuy wrote:The area here at the Clarinda has been completely cleared except for Sam's liquor. They covered the hole where the Clarinda was and there is just dirt there, as well as on the opposite side at the Park/Farnam intersection. The guy who owns the Liquor store says he doesn't even know what will happen with him, because he has not even been informed of anything by MoO. Apparently they are very hush hush about it.
The put down asphalt where the Godfather's was. That whole stretch looks terrible, I hope MoO really has some plans that they are ready to move forward with.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I almost got lost driving south on Park Ave yesterday, expecting the Clarinda landmark and saw Securities
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Obviously, it is too late but I came across this proposal for the area near the Clarinda:

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That one was out shortly before their destruction was green-lighted. I'm surprised it was turned down. I wonder if MoO has something already in mind for that area.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

skinzfan23 wrote:Obviously, it is too late but I came across this proposal for the area near the Clarinda:

That actually looks GREAT. But I'm sure what is coming is much better *sarcasm* I hope I am wrong!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

mcarch wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Obviously, it is too late but I came across this proposal for the area near the Clarinda:

That actually looks GREAT. But I'm sure what is coming is much better *sarcasm* I hope I am wrong!
It shouldn't be hard to improve on the Clarinda, that building was heinous. The Page was okay, but nothing special. The Clarinda was an architectural abomination.