The Clarinda and The Page

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

The Clarinda and The Page

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The Clarinda and the Page (pictured below) are located at Farnam and Turner Blvd.  The two combined buildings represent one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE historic, urban housing complexes in Omaha, and they're RIGHT on Turner Park and steps away from the future Midtown Crossing.

Anyway, I jog past them often, and the other day I noticed workers tearing some material from the large front balconies.  The windows have all been boarded up now for several weeks, if not months.  

When I saw this, I got REALLY scared that someone is tearing the building down.  I would literally cry if that were the case.

I haven't seen much of anything going on there in the last couple days, but I'm keeping a CLOSE eye on it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I hope it's getting remodeled, which would actually be GREAT NEWS.

Thanks, guys.

P.S.  While I'm on the subject, I've also been wondering about a beautiful set of row homes at 563 S. 28th St(pictured below).  They are absolutely gorgeous, and it seems like some work has been done on them, but not within the last couple months.  Does anyone know what's going on with it?  I hope it's getting renovated as well.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I know for a fact the Clarinda is safe.  Expect something to be announced soon.

The Page, I know nothing about its future.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks, Adam!

And the Clarinda and Page are pretty much the same building, since they're attached.  I would think that if one is safe (yay!), they're both safe.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Are those the rows that are just south of Leavenworth and just west of 480?  Talk about an entire area just waiting to explode.  

I shudder when I think what was lost when 480 carved its way through Omaha.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree, E.  And these MAY be the rows you're thinking of, but they are not south of Leavenworth, and they are east of I-480.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And, interestingly enough, since I started this thread on Tuesday, the Douglas County Assessor has UPDATED the photo for this property.  The photo apparently kept the same URL, because now it's displaying in my original post, and I haven't changed anything.

So, in the photo of The Clarinda above, one can see where some of the material was removed at the top of the big front balconies.

Anyway, I don't know what to think of this.  Does it mean something that the Assessor is suddenly updating this building in their system?????
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There are plans being made for the Clarinda but financing is still getting worked out, the city will probably have to be involved.  The other building I think is being renovated by someone but it is a slow process as funding and time allows.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Good to hear!
modlivingomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by modlivingomaha »

The last information I received - both buildings are being converted to affordable condominiums - and on the market very soon.  Move-ins slated for early fall.
take a look at: moderneco-homes.com
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

God, that would be GREAT!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

^:shock:

I don't know anything from here.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The Clarinda is right by Mutual and the Twin Towers on 30th and Farnam.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sunday 4/1/2007
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the Text Message In Box, DTOLuv is Reporting:
They are replacing the boarded up windows in the Clarinda today with new windows.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Most of the new windows are already in. I wonder if there will be some sort of public announcement about specifics going on.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Woohoo!!!  Thanks guys.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Can anyone elaborate on the new windows? Does anyone have current photos with the new windows installed?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

thanks, coyote
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Work still Progressing:

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Word has it that the 3 unit brick row houses on 28th pictured above (by Streets) were recently purchased for a measly $60K. Even if they need a TOTAL overhaul with roof, plumbing, electrical, all new interiors, tuckpointing, etc, somebody got a steal there IMO, especially since it sold for 110K in 05.

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 2101570000
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for the update photo, Brad.

I noticed that they are pouring new forms to make the "cap"  of the balcony columns.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Saturday 9/1/07

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's looks like they've done some work on the balcony parts since I left Mutual. :)
DTO
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

They seem to work in spurts, I haven't seen anyone there for a few days.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They must be doing the "Pay as you go" method then. :)
DTO
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Working this evening at the Clarinda and Page

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow! They are serious!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

If these are going condo they would make a great investment (IMO) with Midtown Crossing going up soon.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

When I went down there this evening walking through the alley from Godfathers, I could see people inside the Page working in different rooms-this was after 5:30 pm.  They were still sandblasting after 6 pm
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool Pics!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

the1wags wrote:If these are going condo they would make a great investment (IMO) with Midtown Crossing going up soon.
Uh...YEAH!
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Thanks Brad
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Was the building sandblasted or re-pointed (tuckpointed)?  I really can't tell with the dust.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

They're blasting off all the old white paint from the columns and trim.  They were at it again this evening-and that stuff carries all the way across the street.  You have almost hold your breath and close your eyes when you get down to the corner of Turner and Farnam.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

can anyone say "lead abatement"?
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Historic Omaha wrote:

can anyone say "lead abatement"?

The owner was at the meeting at Mutual Tuesday night I mentioned how bad that stuff carried.  He also said that there were delays due to the building being historic, the paint has to be a certain shade and so on.  As of this evening this is how it's looking.

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

wbrook twr wrote:The owner was at the meeting at Mutual Tuesday night I mentioned how bad that stuff carried.  He also said that there were delays due to the building being historic, the paint has to be a certain shade and so on.  As of this evening this is how it's looking.
So they can abide by historic guidelines but not environmental?  Sounds like spin-diddly-in to me.

Thumbs up for the rehab, though.  I'll trade some deaths due to historical preservation over deaths due to DTO's personal liberties any day.

-Big E
Stable genius.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

I forgot to add the units will be condos.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is looking nice! Thanks wbrook twr!