The Clarinda and The Page

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That is definitely most improved. Anybody buying there is making a very wise investment. With Midtown Crossing going up, there's no way the value of those isn't going up.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Thanks Coyote.  They've been working late so maybe there will more changes before it gets cold.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

The owner was at the meeting at Mutual Tuesday night I mentioned how bad that stuff carried.  He also said that there were delays due to the building being historic, the paint has to be a certain shade and so on.  As of this evening this is how it's looking.
From what I understand, the delays were caused by the owner not moving though the permit process properly.  The buildings are local landmarks and are subject to a review of proposed work by the Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission.  The owner installed vinyl clad windows (and inappropriate simulated divided-lite windows,,,among a few other things) with approval by the commission.

I commented on the dust to Jim Krance at the City of Omaha Planning Department, and submitted photos (from this forum - with the dust) and received no response.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

correction: The owner installed vinyl clad windows (and inappropriate simulated divided-lite windows,,,among a few other things) without approval by the commission.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Historic Omaha wrote:correction: The owner installed vinyl clad windows (and inappropriate simulated divided-lite windows,,,among a few other things) without approval by the commission.
Who cares.  Its not like the windows can't be replaced again in the future with more "proper" windows.  At least someone is restoring the buildings and saving them from further damage.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Very mature, Brad.

The intention behind my response was to dispel claims by property owners that a "historical" process keeps their project from moving forward.  The owner of this project created problems and delay because of his own decisions, not because of the City, State or Federal Government.

Indeed, he can and should do whatever he wants with his property (within the legal limits of the law) unless he uses Federal money.  What if he had skirted electrical review... and you were in the building when a portion of the building burnt down?  Should I have an immature response like "Who cares.  Its not like the electrical can't be replaced again in the future with more "proper" electrical.  At least someone is restoring the buildings ..."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am talking about windows.  Where did this electrical talk come from?  I am saying I would rather see a vinyl window put in and get a building fixed up than leaving it sit to rot away.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well after pricing windows recently, :shock:  I would rather do it right the first time than have to replace them later.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:Well after pricing windows recently, :shock:
Don't tell me that, I have 3 to do sooner than later.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My northwest central, but not too far west but not really east :;):  Est 1961 house is not historic.  I will go with energy savings over building materials.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I saw pricing for the Clarinda units last night.  Don't quote me yet (I'll get the details later) but they are in the $80-$110K range, 600-900 sqft.

More details when I get time.

-Big E
Stable genius.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Went to the the brokers open earlier today.  Here are some pics from the event.

Exterior:

Pictures from the model.  Unit 102, 750 sq/ft on the first level facing Farnam:

Views:

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Prices range from $81,000 to $118,000

Sq/ft range from 610 to 913

They should be ready to move in by Spring of 08'.

Edit: 18 out of 21 units remain, they all ready have financing in place so work will be finished.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Wow...  did I scoop the real estate agent on this one?  I even impress myself some times.

:;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No.  There was an article in the World-Herald a couple weeks ago about Midtown condos (including Dundee) and they quoted the units as starting at $80,000.  :yes:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:No.  There was an article in the World-Herald a couple weeks ago about Midtown condos (including Dundee) and they quoted the units as starting at $80,000.  :yes:
Oh well.  I still impress myself sometimes.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A Legend in his own Mind :leek:
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:No.  There was an article in the World-Herald a couple weeks ago about Midtown condos (including Dundee) and they quoted the units as starting at $80,000.  :yes:
I have that article on our site

http://www.rpapc.com/download/midtowncondo.pdf

It was a pretty good read and talked about the Clarinda.

On a side note - I worked on this before it was renovated - the worthless owners pretty much let the roof fall apart - and so went the building.  I have never been afraid inside a building before - until I was in the basement of the Page - There were vagrants EVERYWHERE.

Not to mention the steps had taken in so much water they felt like they were going to give way...

Thank goodness this building isn't going to be lost.  I know Signa development purchased a couple smaller apartment complexes on Turner and were converting them into condos as well.  Its good to see that a landmark like the Clarinda will be around for another generation.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

The row houses on South 28th are for sale for $85,000.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... StepID=101

Here is an old pic that Streets posted on the first page

You can see some updates in the picture on the current flyer for the property
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

seems like they have made some good upgrades to the exterior by fixing some of the brick, windows, etc.  $85,000 seems like a steal.
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

$85K for all nine units?!? Holy cheebus.  That's nuts.  The listing says $9400 something per unit.  That can't be right, can it?
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If I had the money I would buy it. That's a steal. Plus being within sight of MTC, this might be the right time for that building to get some real reuse.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah I'd be all over it if I had the cash. I'd make it back into 3 3+K ft2 homes. It would obviously take some coin and work to get it back to where it should be, but you'd have some sweet pads.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Key words... bank owned, rehab project.  Obviously it's been torn apart... then the overly ambitious developer ran out of money/ambition.

A nice shell for $85,000... but remember too... location, location, location.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote:Key words... bank owned, rehab project.  Obviously it's been torn apart... then the overly ambitious developer ran out of money/ambition.

A nice shell for $85,000... but remember too... location, location, location.

No one's saying this is going to be the new Soma but this is certainly a viable building for residential.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Depends on where it is along the rehab path, too.  Could just need furnished.  Could need a do-over.

Nine units in a building like that could do some serious cash flow.
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'm thinking at that price it needs most everything. Electrical, drywall, plumbing, etc. Even at that, its a heck of a deal IMO.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I wonder if the fact that the lot overlooks I480 hurts the price any.  On a side note, there is a very similar building on the west side of the interstate for sale too.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

One from Tonight:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

great photo.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I love that!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks, That was Perfect timing!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Those are some fantastic colors.
where the corn meets the concrete
MDWLAW13
New to the Neighborhood

Re:

Post by MDWLAW13 »

Coyote wrote:Quietly not really secretly, we've been already talking about this for a while... the main issue being, what do they plan for the Clarinda?
Midtown Crossing has now acquired the Clarinda and plans to tear it down. It is an Omaha Landmark and so there will be a hearing.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Re:

Post by Coyote »

MDWLAW13 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Quietly not really secretly, we've been already talking about this for a while... the main issue being, what do they plan for the Clarinda?
Midtown Crossing has now acquired the Clarinda and plans to tear it down.  It is an Omaha Landmark and so there will be a hearing.
|expletive|!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

MDWLAW13 wrote:
Midtown Crossing has now acquired the Clarinda and plans to tear it down.  It is an Omaha Landmark and so there will be a hearing.
Can they do that? Since they're condos and everything...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Coyote wrote:
MDWLAW13 wrote:
|expletive|!
Assuming this is accurate I say "meh". The Clarinda isn't exactly a beautiful building, it's actually kind of silly looking. There's a good chance whatever replaces it will be more attractive, no big loss. (Awaits rocks and tomatoes thrown in his direction)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Professor Woland wrote:Assuming this is accurate I say "meh".  The Clarinda isn't exactly a beautiful building, it's actually kind of silly looking.  There's a good chance whatever replaces it will be more attractive, no big loss.  (Awaits rocks and tomatoes thrown in his direction)
:no: :trollin:
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by iamjacobm »

This building doesn't need to go anywhere. We have lost plenty of wonderful historic buildings already, these add to the Midtown Crossing fabric.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I fail to see how that's not a beautiful building.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert