Official: Patrick's Market (1416 Howard)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Well then as a vegetarian, I'm SOL.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Announcement soon?

From the Omaha World Herald...

"Dan Emanuel, the building's owner, said negotiations have resulted in a signed lease on the 8,712-square-foot building at 1416 Howard St., but he cannot yet disclose the tenant's name or the building's use."

"And the parking lot that originally drew his attention to the building will be used for the tenant's customers, he said. It is on the building's west side."

Link to the full Omaha W-H article.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10085965
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wohlner's?

Greg[/i]
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The main things missing from Cubby's is meats, fish and seafood, and decent produce.  If this does become a grocery and they have all three departments, I'd be a real happy downtowner!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.

Post by Guest »

Hope it is a grocery

Refurbished property will get new tenant
BY CHRISTINE LAUE
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

After an art deco exterior facelift two years ago, a vacant 100-year-old building in downtown Omaha is getting a new interior and, eventually, a tenant.

Exterior remodeling built on art deco details of the building at 1416 Howard St.Dan Emanuel, the building's owner, said negotiations have resulted in a signed lease on the 8,712-square-foot building at 1416 Howard St., but he cannot yet disclose the tenant's name or the building's use.

"But it's going to be good," he said. "I'm very excited about what this building is going to bring to this part of downtown."

The one-story brick building most recently was a La Petite Academy day care center.

Emanuel bought the property for $470,000 in January 2004. He was looking for additional parking for offices and two apartments in the nearby Medlar Building, the historic three-story red-brick building at 416 S. 14th St. that he bought in 1985.

While the parking lot attracted him, the building - called the Harris Building for the words engraved on it - also caught his eye.

"It needed considerable work," he said. "I completely gutted the inside of the building and removed the old roof and put a new roof on."

As part of the $80,000 exterior remodeling, he also replaced the storefront with a custom steel door and window system using materials from his company, Emanuel Construction Specialties, a distributor of architectural building products.

Emanuel painted the brick building mustard yellow and used green window frames styled to replicate the building's other art deco features.

"The building kind of dictated that," he said. "It has art deco influences, so I tried to respect that when I designed the windows."

Now that Emanuel has finalized a lease agreement, crews will begin construction inside to fit the space to the new use.

And the parking lot that originally drew his attention to the building will be used for the tenant's customers, he said. It is on the building's west side.

The Harris Building at one time served as a parking garage and at another time as a garage offering washing and lube services, Emanuel said.

Dean Hokanson, senior vice president of CB Richard Ellis/MEGA, had inherited the property after his father's death in 1992 and sold it to Emanuel. The building had housed his father's neckware business, Hokanson Manufacturing Co., in the late 1970s, followed by the Omaha Ballet's studio and ticket office, and finally the day care center, Hokanson said.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

My money is on another restaurant or club of some sort.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From Grow Omaha last weekend:
15th and Howard, 8000 or 9000 SF, owner to be on Grow Omaha this weekend.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:From Grow Omaha last weekend:
did anyone listen?  What was said?  That's one heck of a tease....  now I've got to scan through an hour of talk radio to figure this out....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:
Brad wrote:From Grow Omaha last weekend:
did anyone listen?  What was said?  That's one heck of a tease....  now I've got to scan through an hour of talk radio to figure this out....
Don't scan until next weekend....
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

It's official!
Downtown Omaha's limited supply of grocery items will grow this fall, when the owners of a small-town Nebraska grocery store open a full-service "urban" grocery store in a sleekly remodeled art-deco building at 1416 Howard Street.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10093189
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like someone came pretty close to nailing this one down, other than the size of building... :;):
Personally, I would envision something a little more specialty perhaps, someone carrying strictly organic produce, along with specialty bakery items, cut-to-order meat items, more of what I would call a "boutique" grocery store, somewhere closer to 15000 sq. ft.
OWH wrote:The independent grocer will offer fresh produce, organic products, cut-to-order meat, a delicatessen, liquor, beer and wine from the 8,712-square-foot store, which has 18 stalls in the parking lot west of the building.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

But but but...

Are they going to carry pencils and paper?  :;):

Looks like you can move downtown this fall, Jeff!  I'll even sell you my SoMa unit.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

nativeomahan wrote:My money is on another restaurant or club of some sort.
Ok, so who collects?  :;):

And, Big E, what's all this "pencil and paper" business?  Did I miss something?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:And, Big E, what's all this "pencil and paper" business?  Did I miss something?
It was just one of Jeff's barbs that I've fixated on for the last few days.  I don't even remember which rant/thread it was in.  He'll say another one in a cople of days and I'll fixate on that for awhile until a new one comes along, and the circle of life will be completed until the boomers destroy the planet.  ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I don't know if I more excited for the grocery store or that two back to back World Herald articles on DT development didn't use the disgusting four letter word.  :)

Ok, seriously, this is great for DT for now and will fill a much needed niche.  And yet in the future as the DT population continues to grow there will still be room for a larger full service grocery (20,000 plus sq ft) store.  

I'm very curious to see what their hours will be.  Also, did everyone notice the e-mail address in the article for store suggestions?

info@patricksmarket.com
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So it looks like this place will be smaller than Cubby's. :) Still a great addition to DT though.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:So it looks like this place will be smaller than Cubby's. :) Still a great addition to DT though.
I think I'd rather have three or four competing 8000 sqft stores instead of one 20K mega store telling me what kind of food I like.

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

D'Shawn you might want to go back to school. :;):

"The store will have 8,712 square feet...."

"Cubby's, an Omaha-based chain of convenience and grocery stores, opened an 8,000- square-foot store...."

:lol: Just messing with ya.

I'm happy because competition is always good. Also, this is right on the way home. :)
Last edited by the1wags on Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm all for the smaller stores. That's what I've been saying is going to happen all along. Smaller not bigger.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Just one word from me.....Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Now that I work DT and walk by this place everyday it's going to be horribly convenient shopping here. On the way home tonight Channel 7 was out there so I'm guessing there will be a story on it sometime tonight.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Looks like you can move downtown this fall, Jeff!  I'll even sell you my SoMa unit.
No doubt, another great addition for downtown! ... but I couldn't afford your place, even on my non-'upscale' grocery budget.

I've pretty well resigned to moving to the other end of the spectrum... a dark sky acreage in Cass County.  Maybe I can at least buy your hybrid when you finally get that downtown job on your trek to 'No Impact Man' status.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"Patrick's Market" plans to have their Grand Opening on November 1st.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I could see they were installing the HVAC stuff on the roof today from work. This place is really moving right along.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:"Patrick's Market" plans to have their Grand Opening on November 1st.
I missed this for two weeks.  Where did you get this info?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Page 2 of this thread, it was in the OWH.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:I missed this for two weeks.  Where did you get this info?
Actually it was from an article that the Blair Enterprise did on the store.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:
Big E wrote:I missed this for two weeks.  Where did you get this info?
Actually it was from an article that the Blair Enterprise did on the store.
OK. I thought I was nuts because I read that article again and couldn't find that date to save my life.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Grocer expands to Omaha
Blair Enterprise wrote:P.J. said he hopes to have his grand opening November 1.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was walking by today and the plumbers were in installing the plumming...I guess. :)
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

P.J. said he hopes to have his grand opening November 1.
I'm not so sure they're going to hit that date unless they work at warp speed over the next month. :roll:    The concrete floor has been repoured, after it was excavated to lay plumbing and utilities, the HVAC is in, and they've started framing out the deli and other area in the back of the store (storage?  a cafe area?), but besides that, its really not looking like much as happened recently.  I know some of this utility work is what takes the most time, and that essentially all they'll need to do is drop in some shelving to make the isles, but it doesn't look like there's been much work completed to the naked eye....

I hope that there have been things going on behind the scenes, and that I'm wrong about it not looking good for an Nov 1 opening, but I've got my doubts....
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I predict it will be open, and have sold over a million dollars of merchandise, before the P.E. Iler building has one tenant.  I also predict that most of the forum users here will have walked back and forth across the riverfront pedestrian bridge before the P.E. Iler building has its first tenant.  Heck, Wall Street Tower may be up and running before then as well.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

:lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I walked by there today after work to see how things were coming along but with the way the sun was I couldn't see into the building and I didn't want to stick my face up there if they're were people inside. I'll swing by in the morning and see what I can see.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I walked by a few days ago and the their were guys working at night time on this place getting it shelled out looking.

I went past again today and they have the windows covered with "PATRICK'S COMING SOON" signs. There was some smaller writing but I couldn't read it from across the street.

In other Downtown Grocery news....Cubbies will now be offering an expanded meat and fish selection. I think they're building a new section for it in the store.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

DTO Luv wrote:In other Downtown Grocery news....Cubbies will now be offering an expanded meat and fish selection. I think they're building a new section for it in the store.
Gotta love competition!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

adam186 wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:In other Downtown Grocery news....Cubbies will now be offering an expanded meat and fish selection. I think they're building a new section for it in the store.
Gotta love competition!
A nice grocer at Wallstreet Tower would be sure to spice things up too!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It looked like they had anoter crane out today putting more stuff on the roof. With the windows closed up now I can't tell how the inside is coming along.
DTO