Official: Patrick's Market (1416 Howard)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Are you turning into a Grocery stalker?  :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No but I should apply to be a Night Stalker. :)  I walk past there everyday. It's right between my house and work.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I stopped in Cubby's tonight on the way home and the new meat and fish section is up and running. That was quicker than I thought it would be.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wendy's! Yes it was fast - 55 MPH - but how good is it?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I peeked into Patrick's this evening and most of the shelving for the isles are up and there looked to be products starting to be set out on the isles to the west. :)
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

http://www.patricksmarket.com  Not much info on there as of yet.....

I peeked through the door this afternoon.  All of the dry goods appear to be stocked on the shelves, and the refrigerators/freezers appear to be in, although I don't believe they were filled yet (not sure if they've been turned on, or brought to temp yet).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Peeked in yesterday and they have the registers and check out areas set up. It's coming along very nicely. I don't know why they are being so secretive and keeping the windows blocked off. I think it would help them to have people see that there's a grocery store going in. The big windows on the front will make for some great visibility that the place is up and running.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And I'm sure they'll get some big press in the paper.  

They are going to do SO well in that location.  They're in the perfect location between the Old Market and its thousands of residents and the downtown residential and business core.

And they're just two blocks from my work.  I'm looking forward to their opening!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I stopped by today and was told that they would be open late next week or the following Monday.  Looks like they're about ready - a lot of touch up work going on.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We poked through the holes in the paper on the windows, and could see the place looks days or so from opening.  I won't likely frequent the place, but I am real happy to see it open.  I hope they keep later hours, at least on weekends.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope they stay open late as well. Does Cubby's even close? I know I've stopped in there after the bars close and the place is packed. I will definantly be frequenting Patrick's though. It's right on my walk home.

And I know there isn't a Cubby's thread but I stopped in at the new deli there and got some really good roast beef. I don't eat alot of meat but now I might have to. :)
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Cubby's is indeed open 7/24.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well then, regardless of competition with the new grocer, Cubby's will still own the late night market.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They had a news clip on the radio saying that the store plans to open this week. They said they have the full time people hired but are still looking at part timers. They said this would not affect the opening of the store.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

From the 3/4" inch slits in the paper that I could see through, it isn't much further off than turning on the lights.  It has a very Whole Food's look to it, but we'll see what we're dealing with when we can actually... well...   see.

-Big E
Stable genius.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

I can't wait, I won't mind walking there from home, especially for the small items I may have forgotten to pick up during a major shopping trip.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New store expands downtown grocery services
Omaha World Herald wrote:Patrick's Market at 1416 Howard St., is scheduled to open its doors to the public at 10 a.m. Sunday. Store hours will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays and from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. Fresh produce, organic products, cut-to-order meat and delicatessen food will be available and will have a liquor, beer and wine section. The store plans to offer home delivery and curbside pickup services, as well as online shopping, after the first of the year.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

YAY! I'll have to get down there and check it out sometime today. The weekend hours suck though.
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

DTO Luv wrote:YAY! I'll have to get down there and check it out sometime today. The weekend hours suck though.
umm, not today DTO, they open 10 AM TOMORROW.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Wow. That seems to be happening to me alot on here lateley. :lol:
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stopped in this afternoon.  Very nice.  Prices are what you would expect for a market that size in that location: slightly higher than or right in line with the giant stores.  There's no price difference or lack of selection that would ever make me consider going west for groceries again.  I'm certain there are some specialty items and specifics that I won't be able to find from time to time, but the same thing can be said about any other store.

Between this new entry and Cubby's stepping up their game, you won't see me buying groceries anywhere west of 15th unless it's at Whole Foods.  I imagine there are a fair amount of commuters that will be picking up items here before heading home, as well.

Now if I could just find someplace downtown to buy every day items, like socks and a Lexus...

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I know you can buy Alexis on Leavenworth.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

He's not my type.

-Big E
Stable genius.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Just got back from Patrick's about a half hour ago.  Like Big E says the prices are what you would expect.  The prices ran higher for a lot of my staples and some weren't there.  If they saw you searching they would ask if you were finding what you're looking for.  I think it was the father, he did write down a couple of items I was looking for.  I'll be back often, but my major shopping will still be Baker's, No Frills and Wal-Mart-I'm a bargain shopper, what can I say!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

DTO Luv wrote:I know you can buy Alexis on Leavenworth.
ROFLMAO!
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

^GAWD that was good!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I have to admit that was pretty good DTO. :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:) Thanks.

I'll swing by in the morning and check the place out. I know people at work were asking me about this place opening. I think the place will be pretty popular.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I stopped in after work today and did my grocery shopping.

The place is really, really well done.  It seems to be the perfect, urban grocer we've been waiting for (aside from the chains like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's).  

I found prices to be comparable to anything I've seen or would expect to pay elsewhere.

Another feather in downtown's cap.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm really excited to see how this encourages other residential developments since people couldn't figure out how to live "without" a grocery store before.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was thinking that, too.

Right when I walked in, one of my first thoughts was, "wow, what a HUGE selling point for potential new downtown residents."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No sign?

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:No sign?
It's "underground" groceries.  This way they don't have to pay taxes, insurance, or follow liquor laws.   :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I've been to Patricks a couple of times. Nice store. As Big E noted, most prices are right on or just slightly more than the standard "full size" grocers. The place is horribly convenient for me being 3 blocks south of work. Incidentally, I haven't been to HyVee for a couple of weeks. :;):
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

We picked up a few things at Patrick's last night and really liked it.  Very nice store, convenient and tasteful and everyone was very friendly.  The prices are a bit higher on many items but the convenience is a big factor for us.  Also, they didn't have any specials or sales running.  Perhaps in the future there will be a more competitive market.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I've been going here about twice a week since it opened.  Patrick's definitely exceeded my expectations.  The produce section is great, the meat counter very good, and the selection of general groceries is also great.  Between Cubby's and Patrick's, I take the 15/55 to Hyvee about once every 6 weeks now.  And I love how they finished out the space.  It is really nice inside.

I was chatting with the guy at the meat counter tonight and he said they kept things low key until they got a feel for the customer base.  They plan a grand opening after the 1st, with more advertising, ect.  If you don't feel like making dinner, try the spinach and beef lasagna!!!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

From this past weekend in the Nonpareil:

Crescent family opens grocery store in Omaha
The grocery store business is what someone would call a "family affair" for the Andersen family, who originally hail from Crescent.

The "master," Patrick, has been in the grocery store business since he was 16-years-old. He owns and operates Blair Superfoods in Blair, Neb. Patrick's son, P.J., started working for his dad in college, and went full-time outside of college.

Five years ago, he and a friend talked about possibly opening up a store of his own.

After scouring the area for possible locations, P.J. found a spot, not too far from home - downtown Omaha to be exact - and he brought along a partner, his sister Amy Powell.

Both Powell and P.J. thought downtown was a superb location for a full-service grocery store. . . .

In the short time Patrick's has been open, the response has been overwhelming.

"We've been really excited, customers are really positive," said Powell. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Chef Chat: Patrick's serves up home-style dishes

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10213498
Not counting the 13th Street convenience-store-and-more that is Cubby's, Patrick's is downtown's first full-service grocery since 1969. Open since Nov. 18, it was launched by Blair (Neb.) Superfoods owner Pat Andersen and two of his children, P.J. Andersen and Amy Andersen-Powell.

Patrick's has its own chef, Robert Pezdirtz. We caught up with the 45-year-old Omaha native to talk about cooking with an 8,712-square-foot store as his pantry.
Click the link above for the interview.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Patrick's now has their weekly adds distributed by the world herald.  They are having beer and wine tasting starting this Thursday through Saturday.  It's Grand Opening time!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Patricks is getting their new outdoor sign today.  Looks great and should have been done long ago.