Kimpton Cottonwood Hotel - Blackstone Hotel (SWC 36 & Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Peter Kiewit Sons' Inc. buying Blackstone

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10125632
The 91-year-old Blackstone building at 36th and Farnam Streets is being purchased by a longtime neighbor: Peter Kiewit Sons' Inc.

The construction and mining company said Thursday it is in the process of buying the former luxury hotel, now an office building that has some Kiewit employees already.

"It is an opportunity for us to own a significant amount of property adjacent to our headquarters building," said Kiewit spokesman Kent Grisham. "We don't anticipate any immediate changes to the building, nor do we have any specific plans at this time to discuss."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'd like to see them revamp the property, and come out with a development plan (akin to Midtown Crossing from Mutual) for their parking lots.

Someday I would really like to see the Blackstone return to residential/hotel use, with restaurants and shops on the ground floor.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeah, those parking lots are eye-sores and ripe for development.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It looks like one of the upper floors on the Blackstone has been completely gutted.
smeace
New to the Neighborhood

Post by smeace »

They moved a few departments out to West O and cleared out the top 3 floors to move in other departments.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Blackstone Center

Post by Coyote »

The ground floor Farnam street side windows are getting some artwork right now...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

My sister has worked at Kiewit for over 30 years, the last few out at the old Western Electric site. She says Kiewit has leased space at the Blackstone for several years, so it wouldn't surprise me that they'd buy it eventually.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:The ground floor Farnam street side windows are getting some artwork right now...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.52 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

This may have been mentioned already, but I heard that the old Blackstone Hotel is being turned back into a hotel by the Greenslate guys. No idea on timeline or anything like that, just that a water pipe broke a while back and flooded the basement which I think played a role in Kiewit looking to
sell the building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Kimpton Cottonwood Hotel - Blackstone Hotel (SWC 36 & Farnam)

Post by iamjacobm »

Catherine33 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 am This may have been mentioned already, but I heard that the old Blackstone Hotel is being turned back into a hotel by the Greenslate guys. No idea on timeline or anything like that, just that a water pipe broke a while back and flooded the basement which I think played a role in Kiewit looking to
sell the building.
Nice call. 204 rooms. Rooftop cocktail bar. 3 story addition to the west to accommodate 40 rooms and hotel amenities including a pool.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... uly/10.pdf
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Clarity and Greenslate are redeveloping the Blackstone Hotel into a high end boutique hotel featuring 204 rooms, a rooftop cocktail bar, restaurant space and a 3 story addition on the surface parking west of the building featuring a pool and other hotel amenities.

TIF Document shows this as a nearly $75 million project.

Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am
Catherine33 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 am This may have been mentioned already, but I heard that the old Blackstone Hotel is being turned back into a hotel by the Greenslate guys. No idea on timeline or anything like that, just that a water pipe broke a while back and flooded the basement which I think played a role in Kiewit looking to
sell the building.
Nice call. 204 rooms. Rooftop cocktail bar. 3 story addition to the west to accommodate 40 rooms and hotel amenities including a pool.

Rooftop bar? Nice. Omaha needs more honestly.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:04 pm
sell the building.

Agreed.. and they’re seemingly starting to catch on. There are 2 open in Benson now. I like the concept...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

sell the building.

Is there even one?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:46 pm
sell the building.

Is there even one?
Blatt downtown. 1912 in Benson. Pitch out west has something on their roof.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

It's about time. Should have been a hotel the whole time.
I always thought the old First National building on 16th should have been a hotel.

My cousins wedding reception was in the ballroom on top of the Blackstone. Amazing views.

This is a good thing.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Benson Brewery too.
Louie
County Board

Re: Blackstone Hotel

Post by Louie »

What is currently housed in the building?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm What is currently housed in the building?
Kiewit used it as office space for a while but it was said they moved out recently due to a burst pipe.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 am This feels big enough for its own thread and not to be lost in the Blackstone catch all. Sorry Mods if something already exists.

Clarity and Greenslate are redeveloping the Blackstone Hotel into a high end boutique hotel featuring 204 rooms, a rooftop cocktail bar, restaurant space and a 3 story addition on the surface parking west of the building featuring a pool and other hotel amenities.

TIF Document shows this as a nearly $75 million project.

Wow! Great to hear. It is truly one of Omaha's historic gems. Gorgeous & unique building.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 pm
Kiewit used it as office space for a while but it was said they moved out recently due to a burst pipe.
Kiewit has been there since 2007 - they vacated in June 2017.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Looks pretty good!
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

This is going to look awesome on the old parking lot
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

obvious2677 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 am
Got it, I thought they were there. Where did those employees move to after they vacated?
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Louie wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am
Got it, I thought they were there. Where did those employees move to after they vacated?
Not entirely sure if they relocated permanently or not - this has never been reported, so you'd need someone at Kiewit to comment. However, since they're redeveloping the building, I'd assume they cleaned up the flooded basement and just temporarily relocated those employees to Kiewit Plaza (across the street). Not sure when Sherwood Foundation moved out, but they were announced to leave Kiewit Plaza a few months before the flood. It's possible that Kiewit had open space in their Plaza building.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I know the Omaha Community Foundation moved across the street to Kiewit Plaza after the water main break.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Kiewit underground is in Aksarben Village in the former Gorman's Building. With HDR moving in, DLR, Ollson and Noddle there, I would not be surprised if they keep that spot for a while...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 pm
Kiewit underground is in Aksarben Village in the former Gorman's Building. With HDR moving in, DLR, Ollson and Noddle there, I would not be surprised if they keep that spot for a while...
Kiewit also moved some of the folks to their Business Center at 128th & L. The burst pipe also cause structural damage according to my sister who works at PKS
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is a big win not just for the Blackstone District, which owes its name to this building. This is a big win for Omaha. I hope that a chain like Kimpton will affiliate with this hotel.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Just so tickled by this. I've hardly ever seen a historic brown brick building with the incorporated white, lattice-like, window-tracing accents seen on that hotel. Special building. Absolute beauty for Omaha to be proud of. Now, people are gonna be able to stay in it -- like originally. Awesome!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Alright! About time! Welcome Back Blackstone Hotel!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

The old ballroom on the top floor is really cool. Had my senior prom there back during the Jurassic period.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Thoughts on the special tax district for the Blackstone area to partially fund the renovation of the Blackstone Hotel? It has been compared to the use of that funding for the Capitol District but was that tax to support the whole district as opposed to just one building?
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

hatwate wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:59 pm Thoughts on the special tax district for the Blackstone area to partially fund the renovation of the Blackstone Hotel? It has been compared to the use of that funding for the Capitol District but was that tax to support the whole district as opposed to just one building?
I like the idea of remodeling and refurbishing the hotel. I don't like the idea of paying a special tax because a developer made a bad deal. Compared to capitol....
Retail purchases/food/drink: Capitol: 0.5% | Blackstone: 1.95%
Office Space: Capitol: $0.25/sq ft | Blackstone: $0.25/sq ft
Apartments: Capitol: $95/annually | Blackstone: $120/annually
Hotel: Capitol: ? | Blackstone: 3%

I have a hard time believing that 15 years is a feasible timeline that the tax would stop - I believe they'd end up on the high side of their estimate (30 years). Is Blackstone going to be a great area in 30 years? 20? 15? Don't know, but the city will ebb and flow and I'm not sure this is a wise choice. Think about it - where were the hangouts in Omaha in 2003? [Oakview was clogged with traffic. Qwest Center Omaha was built. Kingdoms of the Night opened. Holland Center broke ground] 1988? [Crossroads was renovated, which added the food court. Jobbers Canyon was demolished. The Franklin Credit Union was abusing children. I learned to walk?]

Yes, a 1.95% tax isn't terrible on a $100 bill at Stirnella/Red Lion/Butterfish (since Channel 7 interviewed Matt Carpenter). But you're not looking at the whole picture: The tax is on top of the 2.5% restaurant tax and 7% sales tax. The total tax would be 11.76 percent. Taxes on top of a hotel room in this area would hit 21.53% (because the lodging and sales tax are post-occupation tax).

It would be one thing if Mayor Jean decided to do away with the restaurant tax, but she figured out how much money goes into it and basically kissed away that campaign promise.

On the other hand, Tom McLeay (Clarity) is reasonably wealthy. If he thought this was a good investment, then he can do it. If you need to raise taxes to make a private deal work, make a better deal or walk away. I think the big donors in town would pony up the cash to refurbish it if one sought out those people. Instead, we'll add another tax to our already excessive amount of taxes in the city - and tax the middle class to heck while a real estate developer pads his pockets.

I frequent bars and restaurants in this area and 2% would not likely stop me from going there, but it is quite annoying to be nickel-and-dimed in literally every part of our city now.

I hope more city councilors side with Aimee Melton on this and are opposed to endlessly taxing people (she was the only to oppose Capitol's tax).
Last edited by obvious2677 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

obvious2677 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 pm
hatwate wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:59 pm Thoughts on the special tax district for the Blackstone area to partially fund the renovation of the Blackstone Hotel? It has been compared to the use of that funding for the Capitol District but was that tax to support the whole district as opposed to just one building?
I like the idea of remodeling and refurbishing the hotel. I don't like the idea of paying a special tax because a developer made a bad deal. Compared to capitol....

I have a hard time believing that 15 years is a feasible timeline that the tax would stop - I believe they'd end up on the high side of their estimate (30 years). Is Blackstone going to be a great area in 30 years? 20? 15? Don't know, but the city will ebb and flow and I'm not sure this is a wise choice.

Yes, a 1.95% tax isn't terrible on a $100 bill at Stirnella/Red Lion/Butterfish (since Channel 7 interviewed Matt Carpenter). But you're not looking at the whole picture: The tax is on top of the 2.5% restaurant tax and 7% sales tax. The total tax would be 11.76 percent. Taxes on top of a hotel room in this area would hit 21.53% (because the lodging and sales tax are post-occupation tax).

It would be one thing if Mayor Jean decided to do away with the restaurant tax, but she figured out how much money goes into it and basically kissed away that campaign promise.

On the other hand, Tom McLeay (Clarity) is reasonably wealthy. If he thought this was a good investment, then he can do it. If you need to raise taxes to make a private deal work, make a better deal or walk away. I think the big donors in town would pony up the cash to refurbish it if one sought out those people. Instead, we'll add another tax to our already excessive amount of taxes in the city - and tax the middle class to heck while a real estate developer pads his pockets.

I frequent bars and restaurants in this area and 2% would not likely stop me from going there, but it is quite annoying to be nickel-and-dimed in literally every part of our city now.

I hope more city councilors side with Aimee Melton on this and are opposed to endlessly taxing people (she was the only to oppose Capitol's tax).
I agree it would be great if the Blackstone can be brought back to life as a hotel but what happens if another building in the area thinks they should get the same thing (Kiewitt Bldg is for sale)? As I understand it the tax isn't going to be used for public infrastructure either. I am really confused about the appropriateness of it. I am not usually an opponent of these types of things & though I am sure it is unpopular to admit, I still support the restaurant tax.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

hatwate wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm
obvious2677 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 pm

I have a hard time believing that 15 years is a feasible timeline that the tax would stop - I believe they'd end up on the high side of their estimate (30 years). Is Blackstone going to be a great area in 30 years? 20? 15? Don't know, but the city will ebb and flow and I'm not sure this is a wise choice.

I agree it would be great if the Blackstone can be brought back to life as a hotel but what happens if another building in the area thinks they should get the same thing (Kiewitt Bldg is for sale)? As I understand it the tax isn't going to be used for public infrastructure either. I am really confused about the appropriateness of it. I am not usually an opponent of these types of things & though I am sure it is unpopular to admit, I still support the restaurant tax.
I also added the following on to my post...
obvious2677 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 pm Think about it - where were the hangouts in Omaha in 2003? [Oakview was clogged with traffic. Qwest Center Omaha was built. Kingdoms of the Night opened. Holland Center broke ground] 1988? [Crossroads was renovated, which added the food court. Jobbers Canyon was demolished. The Franklin Credit Union was abusing children. I learned to walk?]
If you think Blackstone will still be popular in 15 to 30 years when the tax supposedly goes away, maybe it will... maybe it won't.

I wholly agree with you. The tax is not for public infrastructure. It is to make a private business deal work out.

From what I understood about the building, it had substantial damage. Did Clarity and Greenslate pay too much? Maybe. That sounds like a personal problem to those two companies. The project isn't two billion dollars (like we're already funding for the CSO tunnel). It's $75 million. It's not helping citizens or taxpayers at all.

If the project was drastically expensive (it's not)... Guess who moved out of the building? A gigantic construction firm. Guess who used to occupy that building? A gigantic design firm (HDR was once in there). Is it completely unreasonable of people to say, "Hey, this building is a local landmark, can every massive design/construction firm chip in a bit to minimize costs of refurbishing?" Maybe it doesn't work.... but maybe it does.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

In the 80s & 90s I owned 4 lodging properties in the metro Omaha area. It never occurred to me to ask for a tax to help me acquire, rehab and run them. It sure would have been nice. I was stupid enough to put 25% cash down & personally guarantee a mortgage. I didn't get any incentives at all.

Times sure change.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Isn't asking for tax dollars to help your development the equivalent of creating a go fund me page? Have they tried that? I like the development but I do not want to fund it with tax increases.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

My councilman whose district also includes the Blackstone District, Chris Jerram, in response to my email questioning the proposed tax replied: "It’s complicated and arises out of the effort to restore the Blackstone Hotel to full service iconic historical place that attracts
50,000-100,000 visitors per year to Blackstone District. As well, all boats are raised with high tide. What I mean is this project will benefit surrounding businesses and properties.

Many of the properties within the designated area are owned by the same investment group. Many of the new businesses who are tenants in those new and restores properties are owned by the same group. This project is enormously important to the district and to preserving this landmark.

New Market tax credits are not available for this project as they are for many other inner city large Scale projects.
This is a project of approximately $80 million. So, in my view is also of the monetary magnitude to qualify."