Johnny Rodgers sports bar (33rd and Harney)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Johnny Rodgers sports bar (33rd and Harney)

Post by the1wags »

Not really a rumor, Johnny Rodgers attended the meeting tonight regarding the traffic changes on Farnam. He (and a few other people) are opening a sports bar on the SE corner of 33rd and Harney. I don't have a name or anything like that but I drove by after the meeting and there is work going on in there. Fresh paint on the outside of the building. This formerly housed a restaurant.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great catch Josh! This could bode well to the intrigue of the area.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

And boy is he excited. He said they're opening in a few weeks.

DTO
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

September 20th story

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/9905306.html
Even as officials spoke about the spillover effect, renovation is going on right across the street. Construction workers are busy and former Husker Johnny Rodgers is calling the plays.

Rodgers plans to lead the midtown development and open Johnny The Jet All-Sports Bar And Grill.

"I guess we're gonna be the first restaurant and bar to get started in the new midtown development,” says Rodgers. “It’s a lot of traffic gonna be coming through here, it’s gonna be a very attractive part of town."

"They're building 600 new condos across the street here, a new movie theatre, shopping center."

Rodgers plans to open his bar and grill in October.
He'll have a head start on the midtown project which should be completed in two years.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

This should be a great addition for the area.  Not only is he taking over the old cafe that used to be there (I think it was called Nick's???), but it looks like they are also going to be occupying the space next door directly on the corner of 33rd and Harney, which seems to always be occupied by gross dive bars (formerly Circos, Mr. D's, Daddy's Getaway).  This will definitely be an improvement!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No Nicks will still be there. Those people in the pic with Johnny are Nick's owners and I guess they're partnering with him.
DTO
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

The name is on the building now.  I was up there at 6:00 this evening and there were people standing around inside.  They knocked out the wall that separated the bar from Nick's.  I was going to take some interior shots but was surprised to find people there.  It's hard to be inconspicuous with a bright pink top on.  I'll try and catch more later.

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

nice looking building.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The sign's a little generic, and the name excessively long, but it looks good, and it seems to be moving right along.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bad part of town.  Someone already stole the apostrophe.   :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I remember when that was a bar called Mr. D's.  Its right across the street from the UNO SigEp house so whenever we were at that house we would go to the bar as well.  It isnt in the best part of town, but hopefully with all the new development things will change.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ages ago.  And I mean ages ago, wasn't this the site of the Marvin Garden's restaurant, in the 1970s?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The neighborhood's really not bad at all (and will only get better).  I used to jog past there all the time last spring/early summer.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

This neighborhood is only bad if you don't live in it. Once you've lived there long enough, you get to be on a first name basis with the homeless people. :)

Seriously. Terrence kept hassling the people on the porch of this party I was at last night.

"I'm 45 cents short of getting a cheeseburger from McDonalds."
"Well, here's a dollar."
Silence.
"I'm 45 cents short..."
"Terrence, if you want one of our beers, just ask, man."

Actual conversation.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow.  Yet another glimpse into the life of our more socially enlightened.  Thanks for that.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

It was Circo's in the 70's we'd go in sometimes after softball-I remember playing Pong in there.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Haha. I don't think anyone ever said "we" were "socially enlightened."

Mostly that sort of conversation arises from the fact that we know this guy has a job and an apartment, and that he probably makes more money than most of the people who were sitting on that porch.

There's this one homeless guy who is occasionally in the neighborhood who always dresses really nicely and tries to play it off like he's not begging.

He sometimes uses this ruse:

"Yadda yadda yadda...but anyway my car's over at that auto-body shop down the street and they said I need $80 to get it out, but I only have $75, so I was wondering if you could spare some change?"

And at this time, I didn't even own a functioning vehicle, so I responded:
"Well...I don't even own a car, so how about you go back to the shop, sell them your car, then come give me $5?"
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Big E wrote:Bad part of town.  Someone already stole the apostrophe.   :;):

-Big E
LOL

Jets is going to do very well - just having Johnny Rogers name on it will bring in crowds and it will be packed on game days.   He made a very smart move by going in before the Midtown development is done and real estate prices increase.  That neighborhood should be in much better shape before long.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hope this place does great, but I also thought the Scarlet and Cream place would do great for those same reason, and now its closing.
Some people are good at football, others good at money management and business.  Scarlet and Cream owners were good at football.  Throwing $1M into your a/v just for some eye candy isn't going to net return customers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rodgers seeks pardon for holdup 37 years ago
Omaha World Herald wrote:A superstar from the glory days of Nebraska football, Johnny Rodgers, plans to seek a pardon for holding up a Lincoln gas station in 1970. The conviction didn't affect Rodgers' college football career, but now the conviction is holding Rodgers back. Rodgers and two partners want to open a bar and grill, but Nebraska law prohibits a corporation from obtaining a Nebraska liquor license if a convicted felon owns 25 percent of it or more.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Well Johnny either got his pardon or owns 24% or less. I drove past tonight and the place is open for business.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

I've been in there twice since they opened.  It's a night and day difference from what it used to be.  

They have pretty good food and a ton of flat panel TVs to watch sports on.  They also have a DJ booth/dance floor and are building a patio out back.  I recommend checking it out if you haven't been in there yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Adam....

You have an ISU logo cool!

You live in LaVista?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'The Jet' says he's no longer helping run Jets
Omaha World Herald wrote:Less than five months after launching Jets All Sports Bar & Grill, Heisman Trophy winner Johnny "the Jet" Rodgers is no longer involved in running it. A sign at the restaurant this week said it was under new ownership and management "effective May 27."

Rodgers and two partners — Hemalatha Christina Nirmalraj and Arogyaswami Nirmalraj — formed Jets Inc. and opened the restaurant in January. A manager who came to the phone Wednesday, identified only as Christina, said the two other partners own the bar and grill now.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sounds like the great Johnny the Jet finally fumbled one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Or he is one of the million people that thought running a bar would be easy and found out that it is actually work!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I had to question the logic of putting a sports bar at that location. That neighborhood is full of pale indie-rockers who avoided sports their whole lives.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Swift wrote:I had to question the logic of putting a sports bar at that location. That neighborhood is full of pale indie-rockers who avoided sports their whole lives.
There is not a single sports fan working a Mutual of Omaha?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Brad wrote:
Swift wrote:I had to question the logic of putting a sports bar at that location. That neighborhood is full of pale indie-rockers who avoided sports their whole lives.
There is not a single sports fan working a Mutual of Omaha?
Nope. Not one.

:D
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10489971
In a lawsuit filed in Douglas County District Court last week, Dr. Nirmal Raj says Rodgers contributed no money to Jets All Sports Bar & Grill, 3229 Harney St.

He further alleges that Rodgers ran the restaurant into the ground, in part because the former Husker hired an incompetent manager.

But in a lawsuit filed in September, Rodgers alleges that Raj refused to pay Rodgers and ruined the business by changing its format.
And awaaaaaaay we go...
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

jjjjhskr wrote:Jets is going to do very well - just having Johnny Rogers name on it will bring in crowds and it will be packed on game days.   He made a very smart move by going in before the Midtown development is done and real estate prices increase.  That neighborhood should be in much better shape before long.
Oh well.  Next theory....
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

In fairness, he may have been right had it actually MADE IT to game days.
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I rather doubt it.  It was a dumb idea in a dumber location by a guy that at one time 35 years ago used to be someone.  Zero x zero + zero = zero.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:I rather doubt it.  It was a dumb idea in a dumber location by a guy that at one time 35 years ago used to be someone.  Zero x zero + zero = zero.
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

You can sell anything on TV.  Just be unable to sleep at 4 am and try surfing cable.  Plus Johnny Rogers wasn't selling records the last 35 years.  Those who remembered him from 1972 are in their 50s, 60s and 70s today, not exactly prime sports bar customers.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

My point was that Jets - like any other bar/restaurant - is only as good as its management...

...and they obviously had none.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:My point was that Jets - like any other bar/restaurant - is only as good as its management...

...and they obviously had none.
I think the Quote on Todd and Tyler was "You mean you just can't be former huskers for your sports bar to work... People still care about service and quality"
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I've got a couple really good friends who LOVE the Attic.  I haven't been yet, but will be there next Friday for a friend's birthday.  I'm looking forward to it.