22 Floors (formerly called Blue Lofts)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the update, its looking good.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DTO Luv wrote:I saw these the other day, and while I no doubt they will be cool, those places will have a |expletive| view with that Airlite Plastics barren wall to the south.
I totally agree. That building should have been torn down, not painted with a mural.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Unfortunately without it... you don't heat half of the buildings in downtown Omaha, including the Qwest Center.

I like what they did with the mural... and think they should put up banners or some other kind of visuals on the north side (something akin to what KC has done in the Power and Light district)... perhaps some lighting effects.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm starting to doubt that place heats everything like I used to think. If that's the case than why is the building for sale?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I'm starting to doubt that place heats everything like I used to think. If that's the case than why is the building for sale?
I was also thinking, the steam building buy the YMCA looks like its ready to explode there is so much steam coming out in the winter, sometimes the building in North Downtown has nothing coming out of it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I'm starting to doubt that place heats everything like I used to think. If that's the case than why is the building for sale?
I was also thinking, the steam building buy the YMCA looks like its ready to explode there is so much steam coming out in the winter, sometimes the building in North Downtown has nothing coming out of it.
Tell me about it. That god damn thing is right by my window and if it's windy in the winter there's days I can't see out of my window.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just did a little more research, the building is owned buy a company in Wisconsin.  The assessor lists it as a warehouse and they are not charging any taxes on since 2005...

The building by the YMCA is owned by energy systems co.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Christian Christensen of Bluestone was on the 3/28/2009 Episode of "Grow Omaha"

Secret Penguin, the marketing company across the street, decided it should be called 22 floors because its 22 unique apartments.

There is also interesting retail options for the first floor, some with one month leases.

Also, Jimmy Johns is moving in.  Is this old news?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It is, but thanks for mentioning the Grow Omaha show. I might need to give it a listen.

Did Christian make any mention of his unannounced Brownstone development he's working on for Little Italy?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Did Christian make any mention of his unannounced Brownstone development he's working on for Little Italy?
No just this project and the one next to it, which has not started yet, but looks similar.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

22 Floors Sign:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice detail.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Cool. Does it spin? If not, it's at kind of an awkward angle.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yes it spins. It's white neon. Pretty cool.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Very cool. I noticed today that it has been taken down. I wonder if they just needed to tweek a couple things.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

That's a cool sign. I like it.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Checked out some rooms with a buddy of mine today. Really nice places and overall nice project.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pics from Tonight.

1.  Pizza:

2.  Green Street:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

From the Omaha World-Herald
http://www.omaha.com/article/20091215/MONEY/712159963
The three-story building also has 22 apartments, which were fully leased within two months, said Christian Christensen of Bluestone Development.
WOW! Hmmm. Methinks I detect a completely underserved market...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What market is that? Likely singles wanting right priced 1 bedroom apartments downtown? No. People who want to live Downtown need a minimum of 1,600 sq ft or larger, 2 bedroom, Celebrity Home decorated condos with 2 garage spots starting out at $250,000. Put down your joint hippie.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DTO Luv wrote:What market is that? Likely singles wanting right priced 1 bedroom apartments downtown? No. People who want to live Downtown need a minimum of 1,600 sq ft or larger, 2 bedroom, Celebrity Home decorated condos with 2 garage spots starting out at $250,000. Put down your joint hippie.
:lol:
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:From the Omaha World-Herald
The three-story building also has 22 apartments, which were fully leased within two months, said Christian Christensen of Bluestone Development.
Which makes me wonder why they are making the 22 floors II on 13th and Cuming so small.  I know that project included a lot of office space but why not expand upon this concept and add a few more floors..
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Or is this turning into another residential dorm for CU students?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Uffda wrote:Or is this turning into another residential dorm for CU students?
Regardless it is still unmet demand.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Oh I am not saying it isn't but couldn't that be the reason it rented out so quickly?  And if it is will it have the same problems that people in here reported that the Tip Top had with the college lifestyle.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What problem did Tip Top have?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Tip-top was in an area that didn't have the support to keep it going when it was up and running.  The owners of Barleys bought into north downtown before the stadium was even secured, in hopes that development would follow.  Tip-top didn't have that before.  There was nothing else going on in north downtown to draw people in, and even though Creighton was right near by, it didn't help.  We're talking about a different set of circumstances here.  Now that there are more stores/apartments/hotels, there is more foot traffic, and piece by piece, north downtown is going to take shape and I think Barley's will succeed, where tip-top didn't.  I'm sure that there will be other apartments in store for north downtown...it will just take some time.  With all the new stuff being announced, i'd be curious to see how the units in tip-top are going.
Go Cubs Go
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Swing and a miss by thenewguy, so I'll take a crack. Everything thenewguy said is correct, but I think more than anything, Uffda's comments regarding Tip Top relate to the problems the apartments had renting units to anyone other than spoiled Creighton students who were still living off of the proverbial parental teat. Essentially, the Tip Top apartments became so inundated with Creighton students that anyone who wasn't interested in playing beer pong at all hours was scarred away from renting a unit at Tip Top. Hence, the concern Uffda had regarding the 22 floors apartments. That the occupancy rates were more indicative of college students renting than a booming market for yuppies wanting to rent apartments.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Exactly.  The problems had on the first floor are completely different than what happened on the upper residential floors.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Demand is demand.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

No doubt. But the point is that maybe there isn't the yuppy demand for apartments that has been said to exist by certain posters on this board. If it's only college students that's fine. Maybe it will help create kind of a young college bar/club scene in the area.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

CapitalGuy wrote:No doubt. But the point is that maybe there isn't the yuppy demand for apartments that has been said to exist by certain posters on this board. If it's only college students that's fine. Maybe it will help create kind of a young college bar/club scene in the area.
I'd actually PREFER that, or at least a mix of college kids and "creative class" 20 somethings. The yuppies already have the Old Market, Dundee, and increasingly, Benson (of course, I love all these neighborhoods).
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

CapitalGuy wrote:Swing and a miss by thenewguy, so I'll take a crack. Everything thenewguy said is correct, but I think more than anything, Uffda's comments regarding Tip Top relate to the problems the apartments had renting units to anyone other than spoiled Creighton students who were still living off of the proverbial parental teat. Essentially, the Tip Top apartments became so inundated with Creighton students that anyone who wasn't interested in playing beer pong at all hours was scarred away from renting a unit at Tip Top. Hence, the concern Uffda had regarding the 22 floors apartments. That the occupancy rates were more indicative of college students renting than a booming market for yuppies wanting to rent apartments.
I have heard very similar things from people who rented/lived in the Old Market Lofts, Green House, Ford Lofts, etc. I don't necessarily think it is a "college student" problem, but when younger and older crowds share the same space/building, there can be clashes of lifestyles. Even in condos where you have empty-nesters that think their condo is their dream retirement home, and young professionals that are looking forward to life without a landlord there are clashes.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Thanks for the backup CapitalGuy and Brad. I am basing my comments on what has been posted on here in the past about the Tip Top apartments and how they became a Creighton party dorm because of the location.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Uffda wrote:Thanks for the backup CapitalGuy and Brad. I am basing my comments on what has been posted on here in the past about the Tip Top apartments and how they became a Creighton party dorm because of the location.
Lol,I have done my fair share of partying in that place....and some drunken debauchery in the rooftop hot tub.  :yes:
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:From the Omaha World-Herald
With the success of 22 floors, I hope they hop across the tracks and get started on their next building.
where the corn meets the concrete
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Maybe this could serve as a wake up call to developers that there is more of a demand for apartments in the downtown area.  I can not help but notice how fast the apartments at Mid Town Crossing are leasing, especially compared to how fast or how slowly) the condos there are selling.  You can get a new condo in almost every project that has been started in this decade, but when apartments become available in places like the Old Market Lofts, The Greenhouse or Orpheum Tower, they get snapped up rather quickly.  In other cities, mid and high rise apartment projects are being built, and being leased out.  Here we seem to think the only viable option downtown is a condo.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

OmahaChef wrote:Maybe this could serve as a wake up call to developers that there is more of a demand for apartments in the downtown area.  I can not help but notice how fast the apartments at Mid Town Crossing are leasing, especially compared to how fast or how slowly) the condos there are selling.  You can get a new condo in almost every project that has been started in this decade, but when apartments become available in places like the Old Market Lofts, The Greenhouse or Orpheum Tower, they get snapped up rather quickly.  In other cities, mid and high rise apartment projects are being built, and being leased out.  Here we seem to think the only viable option downtown is a condo.
Does anyone know how quickly the apartments are leasing in the Brandeis building? Granted, the first floor of that building is still a construction zone but I didn't know if they were getting units leased quickly even with the construction.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Not sure overall but I'm guessing fairly well. A coworker of mine is moving in there Feb.