Charles Schwab Field Omaha (TDAPO)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Charles Schwab Field Omaha (TDAPO)

Post by Brad »

Ballpark Construction
READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD!  This threads is for the ballpark construction ONLY.  Any debate regarding Financing, Tenants, Management, Etc, should be posted in that other thread.  Please post your photos and construction updates only here.  Any stupid, argumentative, and or worthless posts will be moved to that other thread.

WEBCAM:
http://www.onsiteview.com/tdameritradep ... &index=541

Omaha mayor selects Omaha-based firm for downtown ballpark

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10372406
C. DAVID KOTOK WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The architecture firm that provided the concepts for the new downtown baseball stadium will get the chance to turn its vision into reality.

Mayor Mike Fahey today selected a team lead by Omaha-based HDR as the architects and engineers for the $140 million stadium project. The team also consists of HOK Sport as the design architect and DLR Group as the associate architect.

HDR and HOK were the consultants used by the Stadium Review Committee to estimate the cost of the new stadium and to come up with a design for the ballpark on the Qwest Center Omaha parking lots C and E.
Last edited by Brad on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

At the last city council meeting, they approved an expenditure of $165,311 for a contract with HDR to manage the expansion of Qwest lots A & D to add spots.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... ks/901.pdf

I believe that at the very least, the Pinnacle lot must be complete before they can start ripping up lots C & E for construction of the stadium.  Not sure if these A&D modifications need to be completed as well, but glad to hear that this progress is underway as well.   Talk about a bit of a waste, I can see lot A from my window.  In the 2 years I've lived here, lot A has only filled up twice - the swim trials (athlete/team parking) and River City Roundup (for holding pens for the horses/cows).  

Eh, well, if they're demanding it, go ahead and do it, as long at it gets us a stadium.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Council approves construction related to new ballpark

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10404414
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Omaha City Council Tuesday approved two contracts for improvements to streets near the stadium site and for the expansion of two Qwest Center Omaha parking lots.

Construction on the 24,000-seat stadium itself will not begin until next year.

Daedalus Construction Co. was awarded a $1.7 million contract to widen 13th and 14th Streets near the stadium site and convert them from one-way to two-way.

Ronco Construction Co. has received a $1.9 million contract to expand parking lots A and D at the convention center and arena.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's great that 13th and 14th will be two-way.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

A couple of days ago they started the parking lot expansion project.  They staked out the expansion site, did some utilities work, and have just today begun grading the land that will become additional parking spaces for lot A (the one out back, closest to the riverfront).
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

13th and 14th Street have had concrete cutting going on all week, so that the curbs can be ripped up next week.  All lighting poles have also been removed.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Breaking News: City Chooses Kiewit To Build New Ballpark

http://www.ketv.com/news/17312342/detail.html
OMAHA, Neb. -- Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority announced Wednesday that Kiewit was selected as the construction firm for the new stadium.

The $140 million ballpark is slated for completion by June 2011. It will be just northwest of the Qwest Center in parking lots C and E.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I see the word "kick back" in the WOWT message boards future.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I agree, but I see the less informed crying about it.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Oh yeah, D'Shawn is on the money there. I predict all kinds of ignorant "kickback, Fahey's buddies", etc on WOWT's site. That place caters to the lowest common denominator. I've posted totally civil counter points to people crying about the ballpark, the ped bridge etc, and have had them never get posted. Then they seemingly let any 6 toothed idiot go on and on.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:When it comes to Engineering and construction, if you built or designed the original building, you already have a head start when it comes to the new building.  So much of the leg work that they used for the qwest can be used for the ballpark.
Enlighten me.  How does legwork for a convention center and arena translate to a baseball stadium?  Seems to me about similar as the pedestrian bridge and the Ghettomaker.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They already have all the surveys, utility plans, and construction plans for that whole area.  One of big costs of a project is getting the land surveyed and locating all the utilities, even worse in an old area like that.  When you can start with an existing drawing it can save a ton of time.  Since they are placing the ballpark on the MECA property it will be easier for the company that designed those lots/streets in the first place.  Not to mention that Kewit built all the lots so they know what is there exactly, little chance for a surprise.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

the1wags wrote:Oh yeah, D'Shawn is on the money there. I predict all kinds of ignorant "kickback, Fahey's buddies", etc on WOWT's site. That place caters to the lowest common denominator. I've posted totally civil counter points to people crying about the ballpark, the ped bridge etc, and have had them never get posted. Then they seemingly let any 6 toothed idiot go on and on.

Yeah, the same happened to me.. So I tested wowt to see if they were biased and started typing in an angry, clueless tone and a higher percentage of my posts were then posted and less where then kicked-back..

The Lincoln journal star is the same way, most of the time you have to say something at least mildly ingnorant for them to show your post..
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Changes begin on downtown Omaha streets

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10417402
TOM SHAW WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Construction crews have begun the work of improving streets in north downtown before a new ballpark is built.

The biggest changes will come to 13th and 14th Streets, which are being widened and converted from one-way to two-way routes in the four blocks between Cass and Cuming Streets.

The changes will help drivers when 12th Street is permanently closed for two blocks between Webster and Cuming Streets to accommodate part of the stadium.

Construction of the 24,000-seat stadium just northwest of the Qwest Center Omaha will start next year. The stadium is expected to be open in time for the 2011 College World Series.

Work on widening 13th and 14th Streets began last week. The $1.7 million project is scheduled to be completed by the end of November.

Currently, 13th Street has three northbound lanes. Under the changes, it will have one northbound lane from Cass to Webster Streets and two from Webster to Cuming Streets.

Two southbound lanes will extend on 13th Street from Cuming to Cass Streets, ending near the entrance ramp to westbound Interstate 480.

In addition, 14th Street — which now has two southbound lanes — will have one northbound and one southbound lane. Street parking will remain just south of Cuming Street.

With the changes, westbound drivers will be able to head north when they exit I-480 at 14th Street.

OWH IMAGE:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:They already have all the surveys, utility plans, and construction plans for that whole area.  One of big costs of a project is getting the land surveyed and locating all the utilities, even worse in an old area like that.  When you can start with an existing drawing it can save a ton of time.  Since they are placing the ballpark on the MECA property it will be easier for the company that designed those lots/streets in the first place.  Not to mention that Kewit built all the lots so they know what is there exactly, little chance for a surprise.
If the surveys, utilities, etc. were all done for the City, then the City would provide those to whomever was chosen for this bid; Keiwit would not hold an "exclusiveness" on the information.  I never saw the RFP for this, but typically the RFP would contain information pertaining to existing surveys, utilities, etc.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am telling you, from someone who does design and survey work or a living... its faster and easier if you already worked on the same project.

Why is everyone so big on the conspiracy theories.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:They already have all the surveys, utility plans, and construction plans for that whole area.  One of big costs of a project is getting the land surveyed and locating all the utilities, even worse in an old area like that.  When you can start with an existing drawing it can save a ton of time.  Since they are placing the ballpark on the MECA property it will be easier for the company that designed those lots/streets in the first place.  Not to mention that Kewit built all the lots so they know what is there exactly, little chance for a surprise.
That makes sense.  I guess I'm surprised that is that significant an expense on projects that size.
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:I am telling you, from someone who does design and survey work or a living... its faster and easier if you already worked on the same project.

No conspiracy theory here, in the grand scheme of a project of this magnitude, it's not that big of a difference to the bottom line of the project.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:I am telling you, from someone who does design and survey work or a living... its faster and easier if you already worked on the same project.

Perhaps if the stadium committe made public all the potential contractors and their bids, that would reduce the thought that Ken Stintson had "inside information".  

Just an opinion...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Just a thought...

May of the same people that complain that there is a conspiracy on the choice would be bitching about "keep it local" if an out of town contractor had bee selected.    And this would be the case no matter what the selection process.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If a series of competitive quotes are within a few percentages of each other, then yes... by all means, keep it local.  If the local guys are bidding high because they know they'll get the nod over someone from out of the area, we've got problems.

I'm guessing if the public had access to these competitive bids many of our questions would be answered.
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Or maybe we could all just wait for a REAL conspiracy to be released before we dream up any we can think of to demonize an organization or a person.. LOL   :;):
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I'm not sure where parking lot updates belong, but they're related to the ballpark construction, so I'll put it in here - mods, if you want to move this post to a more appropriate thread, please do.

Pinnacle site - curbs are in, electrical (for lights) is installed, they're currently doing final grading before pouring the lots.

Lot A expansion - drainage mods made, sewers in.

Lot D expansion - electrical in, curbs in, 1 section of parking lot concrete poured this weekend.

In response to a question posted earlier, I believe that the agreement with MECA stated that all 3 of these parking expansions must be complete (along with the road work) before they could start on the actual ballpark site and close off any parking lots or streets.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Ben wrote: In response to a question posted earlier, I believe that the agreement with MECA stated that all 3 of these parking expansions must be complete (along with the road work) before they could start on the actual ballpark site and close off any parking lots or streets.

Hence, the fact crews were out in force on a Saturday, trying to take advantage of every nice whether opurtunity to get these lots done as quick as possible?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Final plans

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I'm surprised we haven't seen any final plans for the ball park.  I figured we would have a more detail model of the new ball park.
Last edited by ItsAllAboutMe on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They're probably waiting to see how this Royals mess turns out. I imagine they have more than one idea ready to roll out.
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

One quick comment on everyone's favorite topic, the parking lots...  

It was really encouraging to see the parking lot at the old Swanson site being paved with asphalt, not laying concrete - like the expansions to the other 2 lots (and all of the other Qwest lots).  It truly was designed as a low cost, temporary parking lot.  Sure, no parking lot, and a nice building would have been preferable, but at least they truly do have intentions of making this a temporary lot.

I know this isn't going to thrill many on here, but its definitely a small victory, and at the very least, the city being somewhat forward thinking and trying to save some money.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Street changes made around ballpark site

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10504307
MAGGIE O'BRIEN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Construction of the 24,000-seat ballpark just northwest of the Qwest Center Omaha won't start until next year, but the streets and parking lots around the site are now ready for more people and traffic.

Several parking lots, some new, some expanded, opened today. Changes to streets in the area also were effective today.

"This is the first stage," said Roger Dixon, president and chief executive officer of the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, which runs the Qwest Center. "It's a great situation. It disperses the parking, and make it easier to get in and out."

The biggest changes in north downtown will come on 13th and 14th Streets. Both streets were widened and converted from one-way to two-way routes between Cass and Cuming Streets.

The changes will help drivers now that 12th Street is permanently closed for two blocks, between Webster and Cuming Streets, to accommodate the new stadium.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Barricades are up blocking off all of lot C too. People are gonna |expletive| come next Creighton game or concert.
Last edited by the1wags on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just saw a picture on the news where they have Kewit Trailers blocking off 12th street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

OK there is a problem with the expansion of Parking Lot D.  There are two exits but one is usually shut so the only way out for all of the cars is at Abbott. I sat in the parking lot tonight for 10 minutes and didn't move an inch.  I then noticed the locked gate was open and shot through to park cars and was out of the lot in a minute.  BUT if the QWEST keeps that gate locked it will be one big SNAFU trying to get out of Lot D.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

heck, every truck, suv, and any car with balls drove over the curb to get out of the new lot "G" tonight.  They should not allow cars to turn west on Capital at 10th street.  Force them to Dodge to give Lot "G" a chance.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

you know there's a problem with the set up when you get up to "lot G" :)  6 freakin lots?  Come on now.  Spend a little money and put up a damned parking garage already.  Surely someone there realizes that if they built 1 garage, they could lease out a lot or 2 for future construction and make money off the payments from that alone.
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

As someone who parks in Lot D for 99% of the events I attend -- I am use to getting in my car and being out of the lot in 5 minutes. I know the weather might have played a small part but cars just weren't moving in my part of the lot.

Of course heading west on Cuming can be slow going but who decided to do all the construction work in the late fall/winter.  :twisted:
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

KETV NewsWatch 7 obtained official documents that show the phases of construction for Omaha's new downtown baseball stadium.

The documents give these dates for the four phases of structural work.

The infield foundation is scheduled to begin later this month and finish in February 2010

The concourse level will start this August and finish at the end of January 2010.

The suite level is planned to also begin in August and wrapping up in the middle of February 2010.

The roof will start this December and be finished February 2010.

The playing field is set to be installed October 2009.

"At this point, we are on schedule and we feel comfortable that we can achieve that final date," said Bruce Carpenter of HDR Architecture.

Designers aim to have the $140 million final product completed by April 15, 2011 -- two months before the opening of the College World Series.

KETV NewsWatch 7 Reporter Todd Andrews has learned that the goal is to have construction finished far enough ahead of the 2011 College World Series to where M.E.C.A. officials will have ample time to test the building and train employees before the first game.

http://www.ketv.com/news/18410274/detail.html
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I posted the above time line because I thought it would be a good change of pace from all the AAA vs AA talk.  Does anybody else find it surprising that the article makes it sound like the majority of the construction will be done in about a year from now?  I understand they would want some time to test things out but I just found it peculiar. Maybe it wont take as long to build as the Qwest.  I don't know...I guess I thought it would take maybe a little longer to build.
CaliCorey
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CaliCorey »

hey i posted the same thing in the other thread about this topic, but I am wondering if anyone has an actual rendering of what this stadium is going to look like?  maybe i'm blind but i haven't seen anything and yet there's a lot of talk about construction starting.....who's designed it?  what will it look like?  help!!
"Nothing changes until WE change...we have to BE the change we wish to see in the world"

"Madonna Rocks!"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This website has the walkthrough animation of the ballpark (Scroll to the bottom): College Baseball Digest