1501 Jackson (5 Story Apt Building)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

1501 Jackson (5 Story Apt Building)

Post by Big E »

Survey crew was there this morning.  Not sure if they were surveying the parking lot or the street or what.  

I'm pretty sure the parking lot (west of The Max, south of the fire dept, north of Kimball Lofts) is owned by Mike Moylan (Paxton developer).

Anyone know what is up?  If we're building something, I'm game for anything under four stories.  Only damn parking lot in the city I don't want developed.  :;):
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Maybe it's a parking garage and now the cars 4 stories down will now be at eye level with you. Carma. :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:Maybe it's a parking garage and now the cars 4 stories down will now be at eye level with you. Carma. :)
Dammit.  I don't want to have to move into place number FIVE since 7/05.
Stable genius.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Guess I slept through your move to the Kimball, Big E.  Congrats!  Well, at least until the new tower on that parking lot is announced.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

5 Story Apartment Building (SW Corner of 15th & Jackson)

According to the Notes from Today's City Council Meeting:
35. Res. that the attached 1501 Jackson, LLC Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Redevelopment Project Plan for a project located at 1501 Jackson Street which contemplates the conversion and redevelopment of three surface parking lots in Downtown Omaha into a new five-story, multi-family housing development of 79 market-rate apartment units, a commercial bay and a secured parking structure of 102 parking spaces
Maps and Renderings:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... c/1395.pdf
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This is awesome, there are so many projects right now either proposed or getting built where it was previously nothing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:This is awesome, there are so many projects right now either proposed or getting built where it was previously nothing.
There is 4 new buildings being built right in that area (13 Jones, 14 Leavenworth, 15 Jackson, 12 and Howard)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Very nice, very nice, but it's going to upset off about 20% of the Kimball Lofts residents whose outside view will go from the First National Tower to the side of this new building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha is killing it right now.  Exciting stuff.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Great news! - But that does take a lot of the parking away from people going to Max :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whoa! Great infill right off of 16th. I don't even remember seeing this on the forum back in 2008...

It's hard to get a good sense of the architecture from the PDF. I hope there are some good renderings released soon.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:This is awesome, there are so many projects right now either proposed or getting built where it was previously nothing.
There is 4 new buildings being built right in that area (13 Jones, 14 Leavenworth, 15 Jackson, 12 and Howard)
And if the Hyatt gets built, that makes 5.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

ShawJ wrote:
Brad wrote:
So just to verify, we have these 4 apartment buildings, the Hyatt Place, Zestos, the Bank, 2223 Dodge, and the Capitol District all happening at once? And I feel like I'm missing something too...  Niiiiiiiiice.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like another Shamrock/Leo A Daly project.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

ShawJ wrote:
Brad wrote:
I believe there is one more project ongoing in Little Italy with another scheduled.  I am, however, worried that the Hyatt is not moving forward.  There has been zero activity and when walking by today the sign indicating the upcoming construction was down.  Any updates would be great.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ShawJ wrote:
Brad wrote:
If this and Hyatt get built Jackson St. would be pretty damn legit.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It really is amazing how much development is going on in the downtown area now, especially in a mediocre economy.  It's pretty exciting to imagine what the area could look like in another 10 years.  I'm especially interested to see if the infill continues west; there is a lot of available space with potential all the way out to Midtown Crossing on Farnam, Harney, and Leavenworth.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think the Harney Street Bikeway and revamped transit will have a big role to play in making that happen.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Seth wrote:It really is amazing how much development is going on in the downtown area now, especially in a mediocre economy.  It's pretty exciting to imagine what the area could look like in another 10 years.  I'm especially interested to see if the infill continues west; there is a lot of available space with potential all the way out to Midtown Crossing on Farnam, Harney, and Leavenworth.
Definitely. If I had my way, I'd redo almost everything between 21st and Park. I think having Midtown Crossing in the west will help the area between it and the Old Market start realizing its full potential.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Seth wrote:It really is amazing how much development is going on in the downtown area now, especially in a mediocre economy.  It's pretty exciting to imagine what the area could look like in another 10 years.  I'm especially interested to see if the infill continues west; there is a lot of available space with potential all the way out to Midtown Crossing on Farnam, Harney, and Leavenworth.
Definitely. If I had my way, I'd redo almost everything between 21st and Park. I think having Midtown Crossing in the west will help the area between it and the Old Market start realizing its full potential.
This is yet another great project. I had no idea that this was happening. Hopefully this will be part of the catalyst that will get more services east of 480. I like some of the smaller grocers in the area, but more is needed. There is plenty of space. Its just a matter of getting the right companies with good design to fit the area.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I know. Frankly, I salivate to think about how many thousands of new residents will be living in and directly around Downtown and Midtown just a couple years from now.... and that's only thinking about projects that are recently completed, have been announced, or are underway; there could easily be dozens more projects announced over the next few years!!!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I know. Frankly, I salivate to think about how many thousands of new residents will be living in and directly around Downtown and Midtown just a couple years from now.... and that's only thinking about projects that are recently completed, have been announced, or are underway.  There could easily be dozens more projects announced over the next few years!!!
I so agree Streets!  The pace of announcements of new projects is pretty impressive.  America First Properties has several projects on board, and in a recent "Downtown Encounter" article on Mike Moylan, he hints that he is involved in at least four or more projects.  We know of two now, Pinnacle, and this one.  And he has more up his sleeve?  Urban Village has hit the big time, with their massive Park Ave. project.  Imagine what they will tackle next!  I really see this decade being about infill, something we all would love to see, from Midtown to downtown.  This will likely be the decade of apartments, as the popularity of Midtown Crossing apts, Urban Village apartments, the comment by the guys who did the Gahm block, and the new 12th and Howard building have also expressed.  I live in a 150 unit building downtown.  The number of available units in January?  One!  Stricter lending for homes will mean more people in apartments, and especially for younger people, as development and density grows downtown and midtown, it will continue to attract residents.  I am really excited about this new chapter in the "east of 72nd Street" growth.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

The recent KMTV update on a story about TIF financing really supports that thought.  It appears that the number of requests will be up 50% and that after an already good year.  Most of the money is used for projects in the east of town and probably in the downtown to midtown corridor.  It is really jaw dropping to think that within the decade Omaha's CBD should hit the 10,000 mark so important for all kinds of demographers.  Then, rail density is sufficient.  Then bike lanes get used.  Then sidewalks get used.  It's a great time to be in Omaha.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Globochem wrote:Then sidewalks get used.
And then someday, if we all say our prayers and take our vitamins like good little Hulkamaniacs, the sidewalks will actually have snow cleared off of them before May.
Stable genius.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Well I know when I am on my own I'll be living downtown. Actually, that's what a lot of people my age want to do. So expect this to grow even more in the next several years. This is just the beginning.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Anyone hear any updates on this project?

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This project goes to City Council Today.  There are a couple floor plan and renderings in the city council materials located here:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... sc/365.pdf
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thanks Brad, it looks pretty good in those renderings.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Looks good
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Imagine this, the car wash location apartment and Hyatt all u/c at the exact same time in a generally concentrated area... :banana:
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Hard to tell from the low quality black and white rendering, but this seems pretty average. Don't get me wrong - its great to see this versus what it is replacing, but the design seems the same as just about all the other projects in this area and around TD Ameritrade Park. A little variety might be nice. I do like how they have included a garage in the back part of the building.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Not only is the infill great, but this project will also improve the street presence with better sidewalks and landscaping (assuming that's what it'll actually look like).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Oma ... index.html
Next year, Moylan plans to build a new apartment complex near 15th and Jackson streets.

“We have 75 units going in there,” Moylan said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Word on the street is that this will start this spring...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Word on the street is that this will start this spring...

Good news!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If we are lucky in 2013 we could see new construction at a ridiculous pace downtown. 12th and Jackson, 13th and Jones, 15th and Jackson, 16th and Harney, 10th and Pacific, 14th and Capitol, and 10th and Capitol.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Mention of nearly $2 million in TIF for this project in the agenda.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Notices have gone out to those who park here that April 15th will be their last day.
Construction will begin soon