Walnut Hill Park (38th and Nicholas Streets)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10553464
NANCY GAARDER WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The City of Omaha is soliciting ideas for improving the neighborhood park at 38th and Nicholas Streets, next to the Walnut Hill Reservoir.

But the big question could be whether an expansion is in the park's future.

Metropolitan Utilities District, which owns the approximately four square blocks where the now empty reservoir and the city park are located, discontinued use of the reservoir in November, said Tom Wurtz, the utility's president. The park occupies about half the land.

Over the next two to three years, the utility will monitor whether it can adequately supply eastern Omaha with water without resuming use of the reservoir. Should the utility decide it doesn't need the water storage provided by the reservoir, it will decommission it, Wurtz said.

At that point, he said, MUD would be open to turning the land over to the city. If the city isn't interested, it's possible that MUD would declare the land surplus and available for sale. Any eventual use of the land would have to be compatible with continued operation of a pump station there, he said.

Independent of whatever happens with the reservoir, Wurtz has good news for neighborhood children: MUD will continue operating the adjacent fountain, a popular spot on hot summer days.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Walnut Hill Park (38th and Nicholas Streets)

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omahalandbank.org/learn/waln ... reservoir/
You may have heard that the Omaha Municipal Land Bank is interested in purchasing the Walnut Hill Reservoir site on the southeast corner of 40th and Hamilton Streets. While the Land Bank has been in discussion with Metropolitan Utilities District (MUD) about the potential acquisition of that site, at this time no portion of the site is available for sale, no agreement is in place for acquisition and there are no plans for redevelopment.

Upcoming Public Meeting

The City Planning Department is working with neighborhood associations in the area to host a public meeting about future development at the Walnut Hill Reservoir site. That meeting will be held on Monday, February 5th from 6:30-8 pm at the 40th Street Theatre at 4006 ½ Hamilton Street. The Land Bank will be available at the meeting to discuss what we do and how we involve neighborhoods in redevelopment.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Would much rather see this as park space than redevelopment. I think any single use for the property would be out of proportion with the neighborhood.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Taco wrote:Would much rather see this as park space than redevelopment. I think any single use for the property would be out of proportion with the neighborhood.
I agree.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Take out the empty reservoirs, put in row houses and leave the park/give it to the city instead of mud.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Dundeemaha wrote:Take out the empty reservoirs, put in row houses and leave the park/give it to the city instead of mud.
I just want to be honest... It's Walnut Hill. It's generally not very nice. People who live here don't have a lot of money and I'm concerned if that site gets opened up for development, something disproportionately priced will be built and change the neighborhood. Park Avenue, Park East, Blackstone, Midtown are living examples of the phenomenon. It's really cool in a way, but also really negative for the people that get pushed out.

I've always felt that certain parts of suburbs will some day become the ghettos of the future. Poor people are currently being priced out of their native neighborhoods, forcing them to move. Where, is the question : My thought is the poorly built cookie cutter homes that were slapped up in the 2000's. Hearthstone and Celebrity type houses. These houses are so poorly constructed that, over time, only really desperate people will move into them. Eventually, people who relied on transit and proximity to important services will be forced to deal with the automobile world that is currently suburban america.

I think we are currently witnessing a nucleus of outward spreading gentrification that will eventually spread a certain distance north, south and west and its a concern of mine.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:Take out the empty reservoirs, put in row houses and leave the park/give it to the city instead of mud.
I just want to be honest... It's Walnut Hill. It's generally not very nice. People who live here don't have a lot of money and I'm concerned if that site gets opened up for development, something disproportionately priced will be built and change the neighborhood. Park Avenue, Park East, Blackstone, Midtown are living examples of the phenomenon. It's really cool in a way, but also really negative for the people that get pushed out.

I've always felt that certain parts of suburbs will some day become the ghettos of the future. Poor people are currently being priced out of their native neighborhoods, forcing them to move. Where, is the question : My thought is the poorly built cookie cutter homes that were slapped up in the 2000's. Hearthstone and Celebrity type houses. These houses are so poorly constructed that, over time, only really desperate people will move into them. Eventually, people who relied on transit and proximity to important services will be forced to deal with the automobile world that is currently suburban america.

I think we are currently witnessing a nucleus of outward spreading gentrification that will eventually spread a certain distance north, south and west and its a concern of mine.
100% agree with the Celebrity Home Ghetto Theorem. I think one of the most obvious examples of this is Glenmoor, north pf Sorensen Parkway. Has been around for years, is still somehow not built out and the housing prices for that neighborhood are not increasing at the same rate as some of the ones to the south and west of the city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... ber/14.pdf

Walnut Hill Neighborhood Plan up for approval.
Jins123
Home Owners Association

Post by Jins123 »

ita wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:28 am https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... ber/14.pdf

This was real interesting to read. I always thought a simple coffee shop in one of those buildings near 40th & Hamilton would go a long way towards community building
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Jins123 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:01 pm
ita wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:28 am https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... ber/14.pdf

This was real interesting to read. I always thought a simple coffee shop in one of those buildings near 40th & Hamilton would go a long way towards community building
The old bicycle shop is community space, I think.

For Walnut Hill park, I would like to see reservoir removed. The hill brought down to street level. Some off street parking in the park. The nearest parks with off street parking are Adams, Gifford, and Gallagher. Though on school days Gallagher lot is full.