Woolworth Lofts (1114 Howard)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't think this has a thread. If so, go ahead and move this over.

The building on the northeast corner of 12th and Howard is getting all new windows. This is the building where Stokes is located.

These upper floors have looked crappy and under used for YEARS AND YEARS.  Has it already been posted that the upper floors are going apartment or condo, or what?

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I posted something about it in the Iler building thread a week ago I think. Not sure what's the deal with the new windows.
DTO
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Fantastic!  That looks much better than the plywood.
where the corn meets the concrete
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I've officially seen lights on in new loft units. I'm so glad the upper floors finally got renovated.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Did this building have an extra floor added to it?  The way the windows are laid out it looks as if the top floor was added at a later date.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Actually the top 2 floors have different styles of windows.  It would not surprise me either way.  Back in the late 1800's they did use different styles on the top floors, look at the greenhouse building.  It was also no big to add another floor back then either.
where the corn meets the concrete
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

During our Forum Meetup we went through the Fox Building (1884) and found out they will renovate the second floor for business enterprises (3 units) and the 4th and 5th floor for apartments from 900-1400 sq ft. This should be a fantastic project once they get their ducks in line!

Coyote
City Council

Re: Fox Building (1114 Howard)

Post by Coyote »

87,095 Sq Ft available in the Old Market. Second floor available (Photos to follow):

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was really amazed how much space was in that building! It was awesome of them to give us the tour.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

What's happening with the 3rd floor?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They don't know yet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Second Floor looking at the SW corner (Unit 3)

Second Floor looking North (unit 2)

Looking down 12 St from Howard (from Unit 3)

Looking west on Howard (from Unit 3)

Looking SE (from Unit 4)

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I hadn't even realized the upper floors were vacant. There can't be much vacant space left in Old Market, and the little that is, seems to be going pretty quick these days. The rate of new construction is testament enough to this fact.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:I hadn't even realized the upper floors were vacant.  There can't be much vacant space left in Old Market, and the little that is, seems to be going pretty quick these days.  The rate of new construction is testament enough to this fact.
They were telling us that the only other old building with this much vacant space is the Postal Annex.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Pretty cool to see some office space as well. Looks like a great project to round out this large chunk of vacant space.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Fox (Burkley) Building (1114 Howard)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Any word on this project lately? It has been over 6 months and I haven't heard of any activity. I really wish this project and the ground floor on the building across the would get some development. It would really help to "fill" out the Old Market.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF for this location before the planning board under the name Woolworth Lofts.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Photo of unit 2 on 2nd floor appears tho have a ghost that was eating lunch disturbed. Is this building haunted?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

U R my Helix wrote:Photo of unit 2 on 2nd floor appears tho have a ghost that was eating lunch disturbed. Is this building haunted?
The disembodied pair of pants off to the right?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

RNcyanide wrote:The disembodied pair of pants off to the right?
Yes, I think it was enjoying a crust of bread and a big gulp on the floor by the looks of it before the photo spirit taker got it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/thehall ... 3e9dd.html
In the Old Market, the Woolworth Lofts project would renovate the upper floors, second through fifth, of the building at 1114 Howard St.
Currently the restaurant Stokes is on the first floor. The top four floors have been vacant or under-utilized for several years, Seten told the Planning Board.

The $11.9 million project would create 43 apartments, plus 14,800 square feet of office space.

There would be 27 two-bedroom apartments and 16 one-bedroom units, along with a large rooftop deck.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad to see this potentially moving forward. I remember when we took the tour nearly 2 years ago, they were stating that the project would start sometime within 6 months. What a great building to get renovated!

According to the article, they hope to begin renovation late this year and be completed by late 2016.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finally, I'm glad this is getting off the ground! This was on our 10th Anniversary Forum Meet tour, and I've been waiting for this to go. Looking forward to seeing progress!
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Awesome!! Keep adding more residents to the 68102 downtown zip code. 8)
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Interesting assumption on the 68102 unit count. By my unofficial count of multi-family in 68102 I know of 6,202 residential units. This is only 100 more than someone reported as the total residential figure for 2010 in the great urban grocery debate thread. The reason that the number has not changed significantly is that so many are currently closed for renovation on the edges and many have been demolished and replaced with new structures. As to single family units in the area I have no idea so there could be a larger increase overall. Apples vs oranges though, if the former count was residents and not units then we can assume 1.5 persons per residential unit making the people count about 9,303.
Midwestern wrote:Keep adding more residents to the 68102 downtown zip code.)
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

The number should be getting a lot closer to 7,000 residents though from the 2010 census figure.

We've had a lot of fairly sizable buildings come online since the 2010 census, and from what we've heard they are mostly doing well occupancy wise.

13Jones, L14 Lofts, 1501 Jackson, The Wire, Slate, Limelight, Highline, I'm sure I'm missing some...
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I think if we are counting residents we are going to be much closer to the 10,000 mark within a year. I believe we are already past that 7,000 figure. There are 11 buildings off line right now with renovations underway or solid plans (372 units in 68102). If they all come back with the same unit count as when they went off line this will add another 558 persons at 1.5 people per unit.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Woolworth Lofts (1114 Howard)

Post by daveoma »

Hopefully the US Census will release the results of the 2014 population estimates soon--2013 estimates are the same as 2010. I found a curious bit of info about the zip code--as of 2010 there were 782 (22%) vacant housing units. 398 of these were rentals--perhaps not reflecting the recent demand of rentals downtown? Or perhaps vacant units in buildings that were scheduled to undergo redevelopment. If this is the case there should be at least appox 6,800 people living in the zip code by the end of the decade.

The Census has very different numbers in their American Community Survey. They show the following population estimates of 68102:
2011 5,395
2012 5,767
2013 6,102

Not sure what is causing the discrepancy.

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/ ... xhtml#none
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

Could it be that as the Creighton campus grows and absorbs more housing the former 68102 zip code is now recorded under the Creighton zip code of 68178?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

vvindows10 wrote:Could it be that as the Creighton campus grows and absorbs more housing the former 68102 zip code is now recorded under the Creighton zip code of 68178?
Doubt it. 68102 extends all the way to Leavenworth.
Brad
City Council

Re: New Windows - NE corner 12th and Howard

Post by Brad »

The street west of this building has been blocked off with Jersey Barriers and construction fencing. Also looks like Construction stairs have been built on the NW Corner of the building too.

May be this long awaited project is under way...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Damn thread revival.

This is the one Coyote started from the tour during the forum meetup.

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... rd#p248803
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:darn thread revival.

This is the one Coyote started from the tour during the forum meetup.
Thanks, Merged. I searched everywhere including that old Forum Meet thread and couldn't fine a name anywhere and searching stokes didnt turn up coyotes thread.

I always merge newer threads in to the older threads because The first thread was literally thread #1 and counted up from there. I like to preserve a little history and keep the original thread.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Brad wrote: I searched everywhere ... and couldn't fine a name anywhere
Don't forget about the apartment list. It has names when known. It is under Urban development / residential http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p243141
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Renovated Woolworth building brings loft-style apartments, offices to previously vacant top floors
Assisted by urban redevelopment financing tools, Feddin and his development team are nearing completion of a $14 million renovation of the building named after prominent lawyer and real estate investor John M. Woolworth.

The second floor, which spans more than 16,000 square feet, is turning into commercial office bays for roughly 120 workers.

Loft-style apartments carved out of the top three floors will add 44 units to the more than 2,200 residences city planners say have been renovated or built in the downtown area since 2010 with help from tax-increment financing. Rent for the Woolworth’s one- and two-bedroom units will range from about $900 to $2,000. Feddin believes this marks the first time the upper floors of this building will be used for living and traditional offices.

The Woolworth’s tenants will have access to a new workout facility and community and bike rooms.

There’s also the skylight atrium — described by Beller as the “crown jewel” — which cuts through the building’s core.

So glad to hear they are nearing completion as I am sure all of us that went on the tour there nearly 4 years ago are. Now if they can only develop the ground floor 1113 Harney.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I know it is not finished but that first photo has no eye appeal to me.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:I know it is not finished but that first photo has no eye appeal to me.
I agree, I just don't care for that much white.

The building is pretty cool though, especially since it almost 130 years old.

Here is a picture of one of the sliding doors they are keeping:

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think it'll look pretty cool. Exposed shelves are fashionable right now.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I know it may not look appealing right now, but I'm sure the final product will be classy. Bringing more businesses and households to the core of the Old Market will help to enliven the area, and hopefully create more of a snowball affect there.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

That kitchen looks like a cheap IKEA kitchen. I'm not impressed.