P.E. Iler Building (1113 Howard Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:We will try to go back soon to take pictures, so stay tuned.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks to my friend Bob (Swift), I was able to get in and see this place.

It's nearing full completion, and for as long as it has taken... well, I can only say that it has been worth it!  The place is incredible with unrivaled views (as it is, I believe, the tallest building in the Old Market), and location RIGHT in the Old Market.

We will try to go back soon to take pictures, so stay tuned.
It is a great building. I don't think most people realize how HUGE the windows are. The view of Howard street must be fantastic from street level and the upper floors. I peeked in the first floor store front windows a few days ago. ......Looks like it's finally coming together.

I guess I do remember going in that place when it was Godfathers with the Garden Cafe on the lower level.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Just toured the project today with Don Prochaska.  The residential tenant finishes and construction details are amazing.  One unit is already leased and the tenant was moving in today.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Does anyone know how much these are renting for?  I have a place now, but am curious.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think Bob said around $1,800 for the one bedrooms. I could be a little off. These are probably the most expensive apartments in the Old Market.... and Omaha?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

For floors 2-5 (and the south side of 6th): the north side has three units per floor and the south side has two units per floor.

Each unit gets one parking basement parking stall.

Every unit has a glass fireplace

The owner is on track for this to be the first LEED historic rehabilitation tax credit project.  It even has an awesome recycling/trash chute access door on each floor - electronically controlled, tenants sort there refuse and press buttons (plastic, glass, trash, etc.) so it goes to the appropriate container at the 1st level.
There are only four one-bedroom units.  all are the middle units at the north end of the building.

The new addition (stair tower, elevator tower, storage, outdoor patio at the 1st level) was constructed to allow for future expansion.  Essentially, at least 5 more units could be constructed if the addition was built-out to the property's legal boundaries.

The western most unit on each floor at north side of building (four units total) has one bedroom and a den; however the den has a closet.  The den is rather small...probably would not be able to put a queen size bed but definitely not the smallest bedroom in downtown.

I actually like the middle units layout at the north end of the building best (just enough exposed brick, but not overwhelming "brick explosion") - really its tied (in my opinion) with the unit layout located at the southwest corner of the building.  Probably the best overall unit is the ADA unit on the 2nd floor.  The floor-to-ceiling heights get smaller as one travels up the building.  So...the ADA unit is a two-bedroom unit with one of the better layouts, high floor-to-ceiling heights and a good view of the Rail & Commerce Historic District.

For views - of course the upper levels are awesome.  The southwest unit on the 5th level is already leased and the whole north side of the 6th level is for Don Prochaska.

For anyone that tours the building - look at the details - how the "art glass" above the wall partitions has been cut around mechanical runs - how plumbing (copper for water, black pipe for gas, galvanized pipe for electrical) is hung from the ceiling in a very thoughtful and "artistic" way.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

gas fireplace - not glass fireplace :)
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Absolutely paying for that location.  What do the apartment's above spaghetti works go for?
where the corn meets the concrete
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

I believe that the apartments above spaghetti works are low-income.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

That's a very interesting location for low income housing.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

windsor wrote:Absolutely paying for that location.  What do the apartment's above spaghetti works go for?
If you're looking for a point of comparison, the apartments in the building next door (above FNB/Scooters) are also high end rentals.  Sorry, can't remember the name of the building, or what they go for, off the top of my head, its been several years since I looked at rental properties.

If they're really as high quality as Streets and HistoricOmaha are saying, then they're probably best compared to the condos at Beebe/Soma/RFP that are owned then rented as investment properties.   While not quite $1800 for a 1 bed, that's not all that far off from what I know a couple of people rent for here @ Beebe (that amount would probably fetch one of the nicer 2 bed rentals).   Believe it or not, they're actually in relatively high demand - corporate relocations for any # of the large downtown firms, people moving from higher cost cities that want to rent before owning, split between 2 or 3 Creighton kids (heck, mommy and daddy are paying), etc.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

It is the Mayfair, Ben.  Units in there go for around $1500 I think.  I saw a large one bedroom listed at Beebe a while back for $1575.  The P.E. building sounds incredible.  It would be cool to get a peek at the units.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

Historic Omaha wrote:I believe that the apartments above spaghetti works are low-income.
I don't think they're low income- a neighbor of mine had a military friend who lived there... I think he was paying about $2000/month for his 1 bedroom/2 bath, 1500 sq/ft. apartment. It was very open and lofty feeling (15' ceilings, outside wall was part brick, part plaster).
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

RegisResident wrote:
Historic Omaha wrote:I believe that the apartments above spaghetti works are low-income.
I don't think they're low income- a neighbor of mine had a military friend who lived there... I think he was paying about $2000/month for his 1 bedroom/2 bath, 1500 sq/ft. apartment. It was very open and lofty feeling (15' ceilings, outside wall was part brick, part plaster).
I couldn't imagine those ones being low income. But if they are, where can I get the hookup?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ben wrote:Believe it or not, they're actually in relatively high demand - corporate relocations for any # of the large downtown firms, people moving from higher cost cities that want to rent before owning...
You're absolutely right, Ben. We get inquiries ALL THE TIME at Riverfront Place about rentals (the range for what's available at RFP being about $1,500 to $2,500).
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

when I was reviewing past certified tax credit project recently - I came across the applications for the Spaghetti Works building.  In there Part 2 application, they stated the number of low-income units and the total number of units - those number were the same (meaning the entire project was to be low-income.  Maybe something happened between their Part 2, Part 3 and what exists today.  Any of the other tax credit Part 2 applications for projects saying they will have low-income units (like the Securities Building and Bull Durham[near SOMA and Old Market Lofts]) have, today, low-income units.

look for active low-income tax credit projects here: http://nifa.org/downloads/activeprojectlist.xls
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

the units above Mangelson's images are low-income (1115 Harney)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What are we talking "low income" here? What are the requirements? Honestly, I'd probably qualify.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Why are we talking about "low-income housing" here?  I was merely providing further clarity to my previous answers about the residential rental rates for Spaghetti Works.  It may have been a slightly tangential conversation; however, no one that contributes to the forum has been immune from such conversations.

Streets - If you think that you may qualify, maybe you should look into it and provide that information to the group.  This information could be very useful and may go along way in dispelling the stereotypical views some on this forum may have about low-income housing.

Depending upon the local income levels...low-income can sometimes mean somewhere between low-income and market-rate.  Also, some buildings (depending upon which % mix the owner chose during the LIHTC application process) may be differing mixes of low-income and moderate-income.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Old building is a modern gem

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091127/MONEY/711279975
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Old Market's P.E. Iler building has been transformed.

Once an empty warehouse that stuck out for its disrepair, the renovated Iler at 1113 Howard St. stands to become a new gem in the heart of the market.

Now the upscale Old Marketplace Apartments project is turning heads and earning praise from its neighbors and city planners, who had grown frustrated by years of delays and the owner's desire to sit on the six-story property.

“With that building completed, it's going to make a big difference down in the Old Market,” said Deb Skinner, president of the Old Market Business Association.

Developer Don Prochaska, a local architect who bought the building 22 years ago, said he realizes the project has been “challenging” for his neighbors. But he said he's pleased with the work and hopes it builds on the Old Market's charm.

“We hope that we have invested enough of our time and energy and assets that we can bring the entire level of the area up,” Prochaska said.

He said he is making an ambitious bet — and a nearly $16 million investment — on a 109-year-old building.

The building's 22 rental apartments, which have up to 1,488 square feet, are now finished and will rent for between $1,725 and $2,010 a month. Fourteen of the units are two-bedroom, and the rest are one-bedroom.
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The building has the rare combination of a place on both the National Register of Historic Places and the registry of green buildings that comply with the nationally respected LEED program.

Those registrations help explain the project's extended schedule.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

This is another great renovation I would like to see inside.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

windsor wrote:This is another great renovation I would like to see inside.
I agree.  There was a photo in the paper a while back.  The place looked really nice!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:
windsor wrote:This is another great renovation I would like to see inside.
I agree.  There was a photo in the paper a while back.  The place looked really nice!
You guys should have made it to their open house. Very nice on the inside, about as nice as you could expect from the price, I would say. They only have 2 tenants so far, from what I understand.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:You guys should have made it to their open house. Very nice on the inside, about as nice as you could expect from the price, I would say. They only have 2 tenants so far, from what I understand.
Didn't know anything about it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Well here's a link with a |expletive| load of photos for that building (Old Market Place) - http://www.oldmarketplace.us/

Unless someone already posted this.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

S33 wrote:Well here's a link with a |expletive| load of photos for that building (Old Market Place) - http://www.oldmarketplace.us/

They look beautiful.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

windsor wrote:
S33 wrote:Well here's a link with a |expletive| load of photos for that building (Old Market Place) - http://www.oldmarketplace.us/

They look beautiful.
Yep, I wouldn't mind living there, but I could never pay that price a month building zero equity because I'm renting.
couraje1
New to the Neighborhood

PE Iler

Post by couraje1 »

There's an Open House in the works for Saturday, May 22nd approx 11am - 5pm. Currently there are 7 apartments leased. The building is designed as luxury condos and leased as apartments as Old MarketPlace Apartments.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the heads up and welcome to the forum.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks couraje1 and welcome!
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Re: P.E. Iler Building (1113 Howard Street)

Post by mr. omaha »

Is anything ever going into the retail bays of this building?
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

According to the website, "Plans call for the architectural firm of Prochaska & Associates to occupy the first floor commercial space."
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Anyone have any updates on the vacant storefront? Seems like such a waste. Heck, M's or Nouvelle Eve could have relocated there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Finally being actively marketed. Listing added to loopnet earlier this month.

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/YICE8bDk ... cument.pdf

Interior is a huge blank slate.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Its about time...I have wonder for a long time why this space is still vacant.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The Scaffolding Museum?
Stable genius.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The former owner, Donald Prochaska died back in June of 2018. But, I always wondered how an architect could let that building deteriorate for so long.

R.I.P. Don.

https://heafeyheafey.com/donald-f-prochaska/
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

P.E. Iler Building First Floor Tenant Space renovation $300k
Old Market Place Total Building Area: 7806 SF
Renovations of Existing Historic Building Space for Antique Furnishing's Retail Merchant Use.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Imaginarium antiques is opening another store here and should be open next weekend.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Excited to finally see something in this space....it has been vacant for so long.