P.E. Iler Building (1113 Howard Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Better make that... Hooters©© :D
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Can you put Ds in the little circles?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Can you put Ds in the little circles?

-Big E
I wish I had my camera, I would show you my O face...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

you let one or three chains in (Subway etc)
I think there is also a Subway down there and also a Sam and Louie's.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Sam and Louie's is based out of Omaha, thus it is exempt from chain-store-status. Same thing with Scooters. It's all about local flavor, and these companies add to the local flavor.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

thus it is exempt from chain-store-status
sorry didn't know there were exemptions  :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Walked by today and you could actually hear a crew of people working inside. Hopefully this continues.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The guy with the one toolbox must have bought an ambient noise soundtrack to throw off the assessors.

-Big E
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:The guy with the one toolbox must have bought an ambient noise soundtrack to throw off the assessors.

-Big E
Maybe it's like Wayne's World 2...

Wayne: Excuse me, what are you guys doing here in the middle of the street?
Chicken-man: Well, I'm putting these chickens in crates, and stacking them right here. Jim's job is to make sure we always have plenty of watermelons.
Wayne: Oh, so you're selling watermelons.
Jim: No, no sir. We just have to make sure we have plenty of them stacked at all times, just like with these here chickens.
Garth: What do these guys do?
Chicken-man: Well, their job is to walk back and forth with this big plate-glass window every couple of minutes.
Garth: Weird.
Wayne: Yeah, you've got to wonder if this is gonna pay off later on...

Never underestimate "busy work," it may just pay off in the end :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm not sure if this is for the Iler Building or the old spot where the meeting place used to be but there is a big crane on 12th St between Harney and Jones. I'm guessing something for the roof is going in one of these places.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

If it hasn't happened already - Lund Ross should be getting ready to insert pilings for the addition to the P.E. Iler Building.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What addition?
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

The P.E. Iler property is an "L" shape - extending into the empty lot behind the Mayfair (building with future the coffee/bank use).

The addition mainly will house an elevator and parking entrance.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That makes sense. It does look like there is a "chunk" missing out of the Mayfair. Well maybe things are finally picking up pace at Iler. I hope their one worker can hang in there and get it all done in a timely manner.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

This is really random, but after reading your post, DTO (and your correct usage of "their"---thank you), it made me think of the episode of friends where Ross is ranting about Rachel's 19 page letter, and he shouts, "Y-o-u-r-e is 'you are'; 'y-o-u-r' is 'your'" she says, "oh, we are sooo over!"  with a sarcastic sniffle he shouts back "Fine by me!"  Man, that's a funny episode :)  If this one gets deleted that's fine, i'm just sayin :;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mon7WO1YVY
Go Cubs Go
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Dude. Do us a favor and take a nap. I enjoy your contributions when they make sense or are remotely relevant to the topic. Just sayin.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

my apologies; I'll work on that
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't know what's going on with this place anymore. While a whole construction crew is next door putting in HVAC, interior work, digging (for what, I don't know) for the new Scooters/Bank, I saw ONE guy leaving the Iler building today. What is going on with this project?
DTO
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

DTO Luv wrote:I don't know what's going on with this place anymore. While a whole construction crew is next door putting in HVAC, interior work, digging (for what, I don't know) for the new Scooters/Bank, I saw ONE guy leaving the Iler building today. What is going on with this project?
In looking at the site of the construction behind the Mayfair I thought the construction was putting in a ramp to the basement for the Iler building for parking.  Am I wrong?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I'm fairly sure that the digging out back is footings for an external fire stairwell for the PE Iler building.  While I agree, work is painfully slow, it does appear that they are actually working on this project.
jat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jat »

The hole is for access for parking in the basement.  Piling is currently being installed and is sized so the addition could be extended the full height of the building in the future.  Interior walls are being framed and windows are scheduled to arrive by the end of the month.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

DTO Luv wrote:I don't know what's going on with this place anymore. While a whole construction crew is next door putting in HVAC, interior work, digging (for what, I don't know) for the new Scooters/Bank, I saw ONE guy leaving the Iler building today. What is going on with this project?
Don't know about yesterday, but this morning the door was open and there were at least 4 guys in there working on the main level.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Fingers crossed.  It is a very attractive looking building...more so than almost any other in the Old Market.  

I'm still wondering whether this building will get finished before they ever break ground on the supposed hotel at 12th and Jones.  I haven't heard any news on that in months.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They are FINALLY putting in the new windows. They have a big cherry picker out in the street and the windows along the sidewalk. They were actually putting one in when I walked by during lunch. Maybe with the windows in they will finally take down the scaffolding.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

1 week and a day after I posted about the windows being put in they FINALLY HAVE 1 WINDOW IN!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sweet! They keep up that pace and they might have it open about when the new ballpark opens!  :D
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:Sweet! They keep up that pace and they might have it open about when the new ballpark opens!  :D
Yeah, the NEXT new ballpark.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

But by that point the Iler building maybe gone to make way for the new friendly neighborhood Old Market Walmart.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:1 week and a day after I posted about the windows being put in they FINALLY HAVE 1 WINDOW IN!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
wow, it was so obvious that when I just drove by, I didn't even notice it.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I asked my buddy who is the construction worker for this project for an update the other day.  He said they hope to get most of the windows up soon, the reason it took so long to get that one up was because the cardboard crusher was broken last week and he lost his pliers and ran out of nails.

:lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

you know... I would hate to be the guy trying to put up windows in this wind!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

DTO Luv wrote:But by that point the Iler building maybe gone to make way for the new friendly neighborhood Old Market Walmart.
/me throws up!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Parking Structure Entrance:

Back of the Building:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

All of the windows are now framed and some even (GASP!) have the glass installed.
DTO
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:
Back of the Building:
I hope they're keeping that painted lettering on the building. Does anyone know if they are?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Almost all of the windows are installed. I believe it's just the top floor left. Hopefully now that the buidling is enclosed they can remove the scaffolding.
DTO
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Folks, the scaffolding in front of this building is finally being removed after all these years.

This may be as big as the completion of the pedestrian bridge span.

Lets all have a beer to celebrate this grand occasion.

(Now, if we could only get the Frankie Panes crater filled)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Folks, the scaffolding in front of this building is finally being removed after all these years.

This may be as big as the completion of the pedestrian bridge span.

Lets all have a beer to celebrate this grand occasion.

(Now, if we could only get the Frankie Panes crater filled)
And just 4 short days away from the CWS...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

How dare these people remove one of the last great examples of restoration in this section of historic Omaha??  This is as much a part of Omaha's renaissance as any of the parking garages downtown.  I swear if they ever come for the jersey walls on Jackson between 13th and 14th, I'm chaining myself to something.  

[/sarcasm]

-Big E
Stable genius.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I hope this rumor is wrong but I've been told owner may move his offices to this lower lever. Hmm, lets hope not.