P.E. Iler Building (1113 Howard Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

This is the building that formerly housed God Father's Pizza, Howard Street Tavern & the Garden cafe.

25 new apartments + underground parking are part of the plan. City council will vote tonight on tax-incentives for this endeavor.

(lets hope they don't burn the block down during renovation. :oops:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha, true.

Great news.

There are actually still PLENTY of underutilized buildings in the Old Market, so this will be nice.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

i miss Howard St.
SBNathan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SBNathan »

always pleased to hear that the Old Market will be welcoming additional residents. any idea what's going to happen to the first floor retail space?
eomaha
County Board

Ller building to finally realize it's potential

Post by eomaha »

Omaha World Herald wrote: City waves carrot, stick for building renovations

The Old Market's biggest eyesore is set to undergo a transformation into a luxury apartment showplace by this time next year, thanks in part to a $1 million boost from the city.

Old Market merchants and residents greeted the news with relief that perhaps something positive might be done with the 103-year-old Iler Building on Howard Street.

The City Council is expected to provide a $1 million carrot Tuesday to architect Don Prochaska, the owner. If the tax increment financing doesn't get Prochaska moving, city officials are ready with a big stick to hit him with citations for building code violations.

The building code file for 2004 is nearly 3 inches thick. There are 28 violations listed for just the basement of the six-story building. The problems include exposed wires, faulty plumbing, standing water, feces on the floor and mold.

Another 18 violations are listed for the exterior and 29 more on the first-floor bar, kitchen and storage on the first floor, where Godfather's Pizza and Ted and Wally's Ice Cream once operated.

The upper five floors have never been occupied since Prochaska bought it in 1987.

While the surrounding buildings have filled upper floors with apartments and condos, the second through sixth floor of the Iler stand empty.

The wait will be worth it, said Prochaska, who plans to move into the renovated building with his wife, Douglas County Judge Jane Prochaska.

The type of high-end development "was not occurring in Omaha" in the mid-1980s, Prochaska said.

"Three, four, five years ago," he said, "this type of housing was more a peculiarity than a staple."

For him, Prochaska said, "the toughest part was holding and not developing."

What he has in mind is an $8 million development of 23 to 26 luxury apartments with secure parking in the basement and commercial space on the first level.

To pull it off, Prochaska is receiving $1 million in tax increment financing and more than $800,000 from historical tax credits. Those credits require the project to be rentals for five years and then they can be converted to condominiums and sold.

"Anything would be an improvement," said Ron Samuelson, one of the owners of M's Pub and Vivace.

Any neighborhood gets concerned about a vacant and deteriorating building in its midst, Samuelson said.

With the fires that have struck Old Market buildings, problems with homeless people seeking shelter and the poor appearance of the Iler, other building and business owners have complained.

"Those concerns are well-founded," City Planning Director Bob Peters said. The city has made sure the building's sprinkler system has remained activated, he said.

Neighbors and city officials have heard promises before from Prochaska and want to see the plans become reality.

"I'm glad something is going to happen," Samuelson said. "I hope it goes off without a hitch."

It had better, Peters said.

From the moment the council approves the incentives, Peters said, the clock starts ticking. If nothing happens in 60 days, city building inspectors will return.

"We expect cooperation and performance," Peters said. "If those goals are achieved, the owner, the Old Market and the city all benefit."

Under Prochaska and the previous owner, the Iler has been waiting since the mid-1970s for improvements. "It's been a lost opportunity," Peters said.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is absolutely STELLAR news for the Old Market! It's always BAFFLED me as to why a building with SO MUCH potential was sitting VACANT right at 11th and HOWARD.

Anyway, great news, and it looks like we'll start seeing improvements very soon.

I wonder what businesses will occupy the first floor.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

I'm having a hard time remembering what that building looked like....anyone have a photo?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

There was a photo in the paper.

It's the building just west of and attatched to the building that houses Spagetti Works.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm glad for the building. That strip of the OM has been kind of dead since Ted & Wally's moved. Glad to see that it will have rental units for a time too.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

AZCorey wrote:I'm having a hard time remembering what that building looked like....anyone have a photo?
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

THANKS COYOTE....YOU REFRESHED MY MEMORY! :lol:

I'll bet the surrounding business and building tenants are VERY excited and relieved that it is being renovated. Great old building, but definitely needs a tuneup!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Ok, Its' been a long time since I've seen any progress on this project, that was until today. I noticed that Mcgill Restoration is doing a similar power wash on the front facade like they did to the Paxton. The difference is stunning. They have about half of the front done.

HOWEVER! this is all that seems to be happening. The building still has all the windows boarded up and there seems to be virtually no interior work being done. Despite the current power wash this has been an eyesore for too long and surprise surprise who's the General Contractor on the job? LUND-ROSS.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Bigtime difference here! Who woulda thought that it had that much color. :)

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is a great improvement. Any one know how much it costs to do this?
jat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jat »

Lund-Ross has done a lot of structural repairs inside the building. Work that would be difficult to see by the average passers by. The building Onwer is still working through alot of design items before the job take off full speed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is really a difference..Very nice..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Whoa! Just like the Paxton, who would have thought there was that much difference between what it looked like and what it was supposed to look like. It makes you look at all of the other buildings in the Old Market with a suspicious eye.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That is a huge difference outside! Maybe all of the old buildings DT should get this treatment. :)
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I actually liked the look of the dirty building combined with the oxidized copper.

However, it's still a great improvement.

I like this trend of powerwashing old buildings to go along with remodeling: Omaha Building, Paxton, and now P.E. Iler.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Agreed Streets. I can see it from my apartment, and it really looks much better. Half cleaned/half not. The difference is striking!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I noticed it a few days ago coming up Farnam. It is very striking. You would have never known it was that light.
DTO
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Do we know for sure this is going to be a apartment building? Do they have a website yet?
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Last week I saw guys working on the back of the building facing toward Jackson Street, so progress does continue, even if at a somewhat slow pace.  In a few weeks will be the one year anniversary of the announcement of the project.  If I were a betting man, I'd say by Spring, this project will be moving full speed ahead.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Oops, I see it will be the two year anniversary.  Hmmm...I haven't even been on this forum that long!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Many more months go by and no progress.  The barricades in the back of the building have been removed, yet the scaffolding on Howard Street, designed to protect us citizens from the construction remain.  It looks shabby!  What department in the city should I call to complain about the sidewalk scaffolding for a project that has had no activity in a year?  It makes Howard Street look bad!  As a matter of interest, what city department do I call to complain that the street lights on Farnam between 9th and 10th haven't come on at night for over two months?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Last Friday while I was out in the Old Market the block just across from here was packed but the other side was slim. I think alot of it has to do with this scaffolding still being up. With as successful as other businesses in the OM are I don't know why the owner has taken so long to do anything. Maybe he doesn't have the funds.
DTO
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

The P.E. Iler Building project is taking advantage of Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits.  Work should increase in one to  two months.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Just on Channel 6 they were talking about this building. Business owners around the building were talking about how crappy it will look to out of towners during the CWS.

The last time any work was done on the building was last fall. Steve Jensen the city planner said part of what is taking so long is that since the building is old it has to go through Federal approval for some of the upgrades the owners want to do. They said the approval could come as soon as next week.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just watched it too.  Just think... Zornski, Huskra.... The feds don't have a good record in Omaha.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Prochaska & Assoc. Window submittal was approved by the National Park Service yesterday.

The major reason why the project is taking so long; the property owner (Don Prochaska) has completed work on the project as his architectural office had "slow" times with less clients.  The recent Federal approval took about 30 day, the correct amount of time allowed by the National Park Service to review proposals.  The project was initially approved back on August 19, 2004...since then there have been a few amendments to their application.  The recent window amendment was their second (their first was denied).  In order to take advantage of Federal Historic Tax Credits, projects must meet certain criteria...in this case the owners must replicate the existing windows as closely as possible if they are proposing replacing windows.  It has been fairly difficult for the owner to do this, but the building has some amazing "Chicago-style" windows.  Other architecture firms have been able to complete projects with federal historic tax credits in the as little as two years; it is still unclear why this project has still taken so long, then.

Brad, Just for the record, Zorinsky and Hruska are not projects involved with Federal Historic Tax Credits (Both are Federally owned, Hruska was a completely new building and Zorinsky is not listed on the Nat'l Register (a requirement to take advantage of the credits)Bra
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but this is being renovated to apartments with the intention of going condos in 7 yrs after completion.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I've said it before about many different projects, "Lund-Ross will eventually get the job done but expect what ever job they do to run far over the expected completion date".
They have a real problems with deadlines and don't know how to deal with unforeseen obstacles that always come up during construction jobs.  Low bidder is rarely the best option for any construction job.  

Now add Prochaska & Assoc,   Yikes! what a bad combination.  Even before this project  began I told one of my friends who has a business next door that if the project gets done in the next 5 years consider himself lucky.  I have experience with both of these firms and it's never been good.  

Too bad for the Old Market,  I for one am tired of all the excuses this dynamic duo come up with for the delays but everyone knows which construction firms get the job done and which either don't get it done or take for ever to do a job.

It wouldn't surprise me if the city has to step in once and again and put pressure on Prochaska to get things moving or else
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10059507
OWH wrote:The P.E. Iler building near the intersection of 11th and Howard Streets has been boarded up for several years after a planned renovation stalled.

Some neighbors and nearby business owners say the 105-year-old building has become an eyesore that detracts from the ambiance and charm of the Old Market.

Scaffolding lines the sidewalk in front of the Iler, and the street-level facade is covered in plywood. The neighbors say they want the building fixed up or sold.

"Everybody else jumps through hoops to improve the Old Market, and we have this (vacant) building sitting smack in the middle of things," said Rich Anderson, who owns the Niche furniture store next to the Iler building. "It just needs to get fixed."

The owner, architect Don Prochaska, said he also wants to see the renovation move forward, but the project has faced several setbacks related to historic preservation. He said he is still making a major investment in the Old Market and that neighbors and owners of nearby businesses should be patient.
Blah blah blah...

-Big E
Stable genius.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Sometime in the near future, replacement windows should be installed on the P.E. Iler Bldg.  When work starts, could fellow forumners contribute to keep me posted.  I really would like to get this project moving, and since I am in Lincoln... I am not able to visit as much as I would like.  Thank you very much, in advance! :D
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Okay, so what's the holdup on this eyesore now?  We were promised some action after they got their permit to replace the windows from the historic review board (or whoever they were) back in June, but there's been absolutely no progress.  Who's Prochaska blaming it on now?  The window supplier?

I really wonder why the city hasn't gone after these folks.  There's got to be some sort of law they're breaking with the decrepit nature of the building, and the permanent scaffolding along the street.  I don't think I'd care so much about this project being stalled if it wasn't smack in the center of one of Omaha's most frequented tourist destinations...  It really is a black eye in the center of an area teaming with development.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ben wrote: I really wonder why the city hasn't gone after these folks.  
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the judge in the family...

-Big E
Stable genius.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Prochaska & Assoc. are still working through some window details
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

What possible window issues could still exist at this point?  We're acting like this is the first historic building in the country to want to swap out its windows.  Could there be more than 4 or 5 possible variables in this thing?  

I call BS.

-Big E

(I'm not shooting the messenger, HistoricOmaha.  This just sounds like a bunch of |expletive| to me.)
Stable genius.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

E-

It is pretty much out of my hands - I just administer the Tax Credit Program for Nebraska, on behalf of the NPS, I don't babysit applicants.  If anyone wants answers, then direct your questions and concerns to Prochaska & Assoc.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Understood.  I wasn't blaming or criticizing you at all.

-Big E
Stable genius.