P.E. Iler Building (1113 Howard Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Maybe Prochaska hired the WBE Construction Co. to do the work...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City pushes for action on Old Market building

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10119874
The City of Omaha has threatened to rescind the subsidy it authorized for renovation of a run-down Old Market building unless immediate progress is made.

A letter sent this week by the Omaha Planning Department to Donald Prochaska said the city must observe "visible progress on the total rehabilitation of the project by September 24." The Planning Department threatened to rescind its development agreement with Prochaska and order him to apply again for tax-increment financing.

Old Market visitors know the building as that which has had scaffolding in front of it for months. The P.E. Iler building, which is 106 years old, at times contained a warehouse, an ice cream shop, a pizza shop and a Garden Cafe.

Prochaska said he will jump through "whatever flaming hoops we have to jump through" to get the project done. If he must reapply for about $1 million in tax-increment financing, he said, he will. If he does not receive it, he said, he could downsize the project. It was expected to cost about $8 million.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I am going to call it right now, there will be no visible progress made by the 24th.  This project is going to drag on even longer now since he will have to reapply for the TIF.  The city should just use eminent domain and sell it to someone who actually cares about getting things done.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

"scaffolding in front of it for months"???????????   Try YEARS...literally.  If they aren't going to do anything with the building, then at least they shoud have to tear down the gawd awful scaffolding that is now rotting.  How it would protect anyone is beyond me.  It leaks for a full day after any rain!  

Omahastylee called this one right.  If they have to go back through the TIF process, it will be another 6 months, with the Planning Department, public hearings and City Council having to read the bill multiple times.

I don't buy the "it needs special windows" theory either.  Many renovation projects in downtown Omaha have moved forward without window replacement being the first thing done.  The O'Keefe building in North Downtown had all the studding up on every floor, before they even began to pop in new windows.  Besides, we have been told the new window design was approved, so what could the problem be now? In defense of Lund-Ross, they are they contractor for the O'Keefe project, and it is moving along at a fast pace.  It shows that if a client has the funding and the desire to get the job done, the contracting firm can respond.  Perhaps there isn't really the cash available to make this project a go.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Well, get this!  If you go around to the back side of this building, and gaze up to the top floor, all the wood has been removed from what once was windows and there is actually a few (as in one or two) workman doing something.  Could it be????
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Sorry omahastylee459...

Slow Renovation Continues
It might be difficult to see from the outside but work on an Old Market redevelopment project near 11th and Howard is continuing. . .

City inspectors looked at the project Monday and tell Channel 6 News that windows and financing are the culprits for delaying the project. . . .

The owner plans to put shops, office space and lofts in the building. The project is due for completion in about 13 months.

City inspectors will monitor progress on a monthly basis.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yay. It will still be empty during the CWS, Olympics, and NCAA Tournament!
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Yay. It will still be empty during the CWS, Olympics, and NCAA Tournament!
I would be ok if they are still empty by the CWS as long as they get the damn scaffolding down!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They are installing the new windows on the front side of the building. I wonder if this will still mean things won't really get going for another year.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

There is work going on although not a huge crew.  I chatted with a guy there today, and he said they want to get the windows in first so they can work on the inside over the winter.  Although I am as dubious as anyone else here as to the progress on this, it does make a bit of sense.  Like Brad, I just wish the dang scaffolding would go away some year.  I still can't understand how that was allowed to mar that side of the block for 3 plus years.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I hope they get the scaffolding down soon, too.  Although I don't really mind it.  It reminds me of being in New York or Chicago.  You see that kind of thing all the time.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

But for years on end? I think the places full of people remind me more of Chicago and NYC. :)
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Still keep forgetting to haul the camera down to work but work is still slow going on the windows. Most of them are now framed out but none have glass so far.
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Thought I should mention, a guy I know that works there told me last week they successfully moved the main toolbox from the northeast corner of the building to the south east.  Also, an empty cardboard box on the third floor was moved into the dumpster.  This project seems to be back up to full speed!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think that one guy who moved the box must have been the one guy doing windows too.

I think they are screwing the window job up. I could swear I've seen other job sites where they put plastic up over the windows when they lave. Last Sunday when I was down there in that down pour they were uncovered. Does anyone know if this is a regular practice or not?
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Ok. I convinced there is literally 1 guy working on the Iler building. When I walk down there I can hear the crews of people working on stokes. I see trucks, equipment, supplies. Obvious signs and sounds of progress.

Now as I turn the corner towards the Iler building I see the same 1 guy framing the windows. I can see and hear that their is no one else in the building but him. I can also tell from the slow going of framing and plasticing the windows that there is not a crew working there. I'm beginning to believe that the last bit of news about the windows was a ruse. It can't possibly be taking this long. Why is there only 1 person I ever see there when the much smaller restaurant across the street has more construction activity going on?
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:Why is there only 1 person I ever see there when the much smaller restaurant across the street has more construction activity going on?
One building is paid for and owned by a judge's spouse that is apparently immune to any and all threats from City Hall and one is needed to generate revenue for the lease holder.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I noticed the other day from home I can see the roof has plastic all over it as well. Does anyone know why this might be?
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I walked by during lunch today and could hear some work being done. It sounded like a jackhammer but I couldn't really tell. Still it only sounded like 1 person inside. When the jackhammering would stop there were no other sounds of work being done.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone hear anything about whats going in here in 10 years when the work gets finished?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Anyone hear anything about whats going in here in 10 years when the work gets finished?
It's an IT services company specializing in Y2K implementation.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Heyooooh!  8)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
Brad wrote:Anyone hear anything about whats going in here in 10 years when the work gets finished?

-Big E
Excellent, they can have their grand opening just in time for the Y3K switchover...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:

-Big E

:lol: You're my favorite. :)
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

My friend that told me said they are planning on opening the same time as Asset Strategies new highrise.  They want to feed off of their success.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

good stuff :) haha.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The city just approved Tax Increment Financing for a property located at 1113 Howard Street.  The building will feature a mix of uses and is slated to be named Middle Eastern Peace Place.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:lol:

Ok, really I did hear a rumor I thought was interesting. I was told that the ground level of the building is going to house a Hooters restuarant. I don't know what odds are or anything but I heard it and thought I'd throw it out there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote::lol:

Ok, really I did hear a rumor I thought was interesting. I was told that the ground level of the building is going to house a Hooters restuarant. I don't know what odds are or anything but I heard it and thought I'd throw it out there.
A hooters?  Interesting, I guess its about time for their second location in Omaha?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Well looking at this, it doesn't look promising.

http://www.hooters.com/company/franchising/
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

May be not that bad.  When you buy a franchise you buy a territory and can usually build as much as you want in that territory.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:The city just approved Tax Increment Financing for a property located at 1113 Howard Street.  The building will feature a mix of uses and is slated to be named Middle Eastern Peace Place.
Is this maybe where the meeting ground used to be?
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

DTO Luv wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:The city just approved Tax Increment Financing for a property located at 1113 Howard Street.  The building will feature a mix of uses and is slated to be named Middle Eastern Peace Place.
Is this maybe where the meeting ground used to be?
Good guess, but I'm fairly sure this is the PE Iler building address.  I googled it, and it came up with info on the old Howard St Pizza.....

It'll be interesting to see what the "Middle Eastern Peace Place" will be comprised of.  In any event, I'm just glad to see progress on this building
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think by the name "Middle East Peace Place" Aaron was joking.....  Kind of like Big E and the Y2K switch company.

The only real rumor here is the Hooters....

Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

1113 Howard St. is indeed the address of the P.E. Iler Bldg.  What City Council Agenda (and Corr. Agenda) makes a mention of the approval of TIF for this project?  I looked through the last few posted agendas with no luck.  Maybe it was lurking between a few liquor license approvals.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't know that I would care to see Hooters go in there. As long as it doesn't look gaudy on the outside I guess I could live with it.
DTO
DundeeDude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DundeeDude »

I don't like the idea of chain stores/restaurants in the Old Market.  I'd rather have the space sit empty rather than start a nasty trend of chain stores which infiltrate the Market.  Thats why we have Westroads, Village Pointe and Shadow Lake for, for the trendy national chains.  The Old Market is and should remain a marketplace for independents.  You got to be careful here, you let one or three chains in (Subway etc) and suddenly you have an avalache and its a smaller version/bricktown version of Country Club Plaza in KC.  Although I do love a great set of boobs, I say no to Hooters in the Market.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is already a Famous Dave's and an Old Chicago down there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DundeeDude wrote:I say no to Hooters in the Market.
Yes to hooters.

No to Hooters.

-Big E
Stable genius.