Brandeis Building (210 S 16th St)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

The Brandeis is such a cool old building. If they cleaned/repaired the exterior, got the elevators and hallways between their sales office and models cleaned up and finished, they would have a much easier time selling. It's really hard for a person to envision how nice the building will be, when the exterior hasn't been touched yet, and they have to walk through a construction zone to get to the model units(which are nice). Their pricing is a little under that of the other competing projects mentioned above.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I love where the Brandeis is. It would be cool to have a view of the first national park and 16th street. During the day, that area is packed with people walking around which is always a good thing to see
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

The problem is, most people aren't home in their condo during the day so daytime traffic really doesn't matter when deciding where to live. Would you rather be in the Paxton or JLofts, which are 2-3 blocks closer to the OM with much more nighttime foot traffic, or on 16th Street which is pretty much desolate at night?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pictures from the forum meet:

Brandise (19 Pics)

I thought the inside of the building looked great.

All condos here:
http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4618
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Thanks for the pics! That place is incredible!!!!! I'm very surprised.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Nice, they have finished the hallways since I was last there. That will really help. We are all having a huge condo tour on August 12th, I think that getting all that traffic through now that the hallways don't look like a construction site will be big for them.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

This is crazy, that guy in the blue is definately the architecture teacher at Creighton Prep. Good ole Mr. Jordan. Thats halarious.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

scraper wrote:The problem is, most people aren't home in their condo during the day so daytime traffic really doesn't matter when deciding where to live. Would you rather be in the Paxton or JLofts, which are 2-3 blocks closer to the OM with much more nighttime foot traffic, or on 16th Street which is pretty much desolate at night?
Believe it or not, not everybody moving downtown does it for the OM nightlife. And look for 16th St to come more alive in the future.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

DTO Luv wrote:For one I think those are over priced. They don't have as much of a view and for what they are asking it doesn't surprise me.
I think Wall Street Tower is going to have view issues as well. The top 10 floors will be fine, and the North side will be ok. But for floors up through 21 or 22, the south side views will be of the UP and Qwest buildings. Note what the FNB building does for the view from Brandeis looking north?
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:This is crazy, that guy in the blue is definately the architecture teacher at Creighton Prep. Good ole Mr. Jordan. Thats halarious.
More importantly who's the redhead?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

HskrFanMike wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:For one I think those are over priced. They don't have as much of a view and for what they are asking it doesn't surprise me.
I think Wall Street Tower is going to have view issues as well. The top 10 floors will be fine, and the North side will be ok. But for floors up through 21 or 22, the south side views will be of the UP and Qwest buildings. Note what the FNB building does for the view from Brandeis looking north?
I think the south side will be far enough stepped back from Dodge Street to have pretty good views. Although, me, I wouldn't mind just having a "canyon-like" view of UPC.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I agree Streets. The front of the building fronts Capitol, and the half of the block that fronts Dodge is retail/parking garage. There is plenty of setback for views.

Personally, I'd have to question the validity of only seven condos sold. I personally saw 6 different moving vans on six different days when I was still commuting to Bellevue by bus, and I find it hard to believe I saw almost every single owner that has moved in so far.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

I wish that there was lower end condos, y'know?

Like you have the high end, middle end, than the low end condo, all in downtown..thta's what I'd like to see.

But I remember some people were all saying the condo boom is over...etc
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Personally, I'd have to question the validity of only seven condos sold
I would too but if you read my post correctly I said 7 were OCCUPIED!!
:roll:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for that reiteration Me. :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Raraavis wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:This is crazy, that guy in the blue is definately the architecture teacher at Creighton Prep. Good ole Mr. Jordan. Thats halarious.

More importantly who's the redhead?
She was with her dad, the guy in the green (at least I hope it was her dad!)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think we've got you covered, Modest Mouse. The condo boom has condos starting as low as $60,000 and going all the way up to the millions. And it should only keep diversifying more and more.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brandeis on brink of foreclosure sale
Omaha World Herald wrote:Developers of the Brandeis Building condominiums are looking for someone else to take over the project, a move forced by the filing of liens by subcontractors and a notice of default by Great Western Bank.

"There were just not enough sales in 2006 to keep going, which is really unfortunate, because the project and the building are really first class."  Douglas County records show 15 of 131 condos have sold.

Brandeis Lofts LLC investors are Hampton of Lincoln, Breck Collingsworth of Lincoln and Steve Borgmann of Norfolk, Neb. Early in 2005, they paid $8,675,000 for the 10-story, 1906 building at 16th and Douglas Streets. By then, the former department store had become a mostly vacant office building.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Do I really even have to say that I'm not surprised that two guys from Lincoln and one from Norfolk weren't able to effectively market and complete a project in downtown Omaha???

15 out of 131 sold???  Are you kidding me?  All this comes down to is poor managing/marketing, and inflated pricepoints.
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Streets of Omaha, I agree with your assessment.   Let's add a few things to your list:  poor design of the project and bad quality in the condos.  It's disappointing because the project could've been so much more.  Mixing the sketchy food court with $600,000 condos is simply weird.  The project was screaming mixed use and an opportunity was/is had to bring back the retail component of the site that characterizes the building's history.  A track home developer from Lincoln coming to downtown Omaha and impacting a condo market in it's infancy should be held accountable, as should the Urban Omaha and Prudential Sales Team that told him that they could sell condos for him.  Let's hope that the bank goes after his business in Lincoln and future residential developers downtown perform more thorough due diligence, especially when it comes to performance and reputation of the sales team.      

Needless to say this project has been scrapped from my list of potential places to live downtown.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think blaming the fact that they are from Norfolk and Lincoln is a little ignorant.  

Greg
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No it's not. I thought what they did with the Brandies building as far as the inside was terrible.

-Tearing out all of the decorative columns and ceilings in the building was a huge mistake. When I took tours of the place I'd never seen so many people cringe and complain about how boring the units looked. My mom said it looked more like a Celebrity model home than a DT condo.

-Looking at a floor plan some of the units ended up with weird, useless spaces because of tearing out part of the building for that atrium.

-With as expensive as the units were there should have been more customization. It seemed like all were designed the same and the wants of the purchaser were an after thought.

This is really sad. The Brandies building is a great building and can still be a great place to live but someone that knows what they're doing needs to be at the helm.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Greg S wrote:I think blaming the fact that they are from Norfolk and Lincoln is a little ignorant.  

Greg
I didn't place ANY blame on them.  I said it isn't SURPRISING.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Bummer.

Bad timing by the bank, this project would have been fine if given the chance to sell as the spring market heats up.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I don't know if this was common knowledge or not, but I was talking to someone that works for one of the subcontractors on the Brandeis project yesterday and thought I'd pass this along.  All work has been stopped on unfinished units until the liens are taken care of.   They were told by their management to document their hours and costs to turn in for payment, then get out.  He was also saying that besides the one or two occupied floors, and one nearing completion, there's a lot of work left to finish out the remaining units in the building.  The still under construction atrium is supposedly a real eyesore for those living there.

This is going to be one vicious cycle they're stuck in.  Can't sell more units b/c they aren't completed, can't complete the units until they get the cash (which would either come from sales of units or some bank bailing them out).
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

There is an advertisement in today's Wall Street Journal, page B12B, listing the Brandies for sale at $20Million.  My guess is that is enough to pay for the purchase of the building (around $8.5M), the liens outstanding ($2 to $3M), the work he has into it and a nice profit for the Lincoln developer who got into it over his head.  Let's hope no one bails this bozo out ... a la 902 Dodge.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Bobcat wrote:  Let's hope no one bails this bozo out ... a la 902 Dodge.
What's the 902 Dodge reference regarding?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

wow..... $20 million.  I don't know who'd be dumb enough to go ahead and buy the building at that price.  Assuming that 10 or so of the originally announced 140 condos are already sold, that leaves 130 to spread that $20 MM over (and potentially sell and reap a profit).  That's just over $150,000 per unit just to purchase the building, and the majority of the building still needs significant investment to finish it out.  The #s just don't make sense.  Its never going to sell at anywhere near that amount - or if it does, just watch developer #2 go belly up as well.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Story from the OWH:

Brandeis Building listed nationally
Investor Bob Hampton of Lincoln was out of the country Wednesday, but he has said that he had not been able to sell enough condos and owed subcontractors and the bank. He blamed a slow housing market.

"Nobody anticipated the marketplace would literally stop like it did in '06," he said.
Since the group took possession of the building, it had built two atriums, completely built out the eighth and ninth floors as condos, finished the seventh floor to the drywall stage and framed the fifth and sixth floors. Some work had been completed on the adjacent parking garage, including the installation of security gates on the seventh floor.

Still, the price tag of $20 million raised some eyebrows locally.

Tasha Henninger of Prudential Ambassador Real Estate's Urban Omaha team said some local developers are interested in the building but want to see the property go through foreclosure so it would be sold free of liens and probably for less
Don't forget there's nearly $10 million in TIF available for this property as well.  Still, $20 million seems a little high, just like the article says.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

There are rumors that other projects downtown are struggling as well. One that's already underway, and one that has not started.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:There are rumors that other projects downtown are struggling as well. One that's already underway, and one that has not started.

Greg
Please talk about overall slow condo sales on this thread:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... highlight=

Lets try to keep this thread for just the Brandise.

Thanks
Brad
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm still saying that the projects that are struggling are struggling more because of the product/value being offered vs any lack of demand for downtown residential.

There is a limited number of customers for the 1600 sqft 2 bed/2 bath one parking space with window views of an alley at $300/sqft.  People are fighting over high end and low end, and it seems all the developers can come up with is an endless supply of mid-range.  When I looked at the Wallstreet project several months ago, the entire NW corner was sold at the top and at the bottom.  The small A and B units at SoMa were so popular that the floorplans for phase 3 and 4 were totally changed to add more of these units and reduce the number of large units.

It's irresponsible for builders to offer something the market doesn't want and then run around proclaiming how soft the market is (and I'm not just saying that because I'm invested in the market).  I know they all do their cost analysii (what's the plural of analysis?) and have the buildings figured for sqft/unit x units - cost/sqft blah blah blah whatever their formula is, but they still have to actually SELL those units.  All the formulas in the world don't do you an ounce of good if people don't want what the formula is kicking out.  You can only blame your agents and the market for so much before you have to wonder about your product, especially when some are selling and some aren't.

-Big E

edit: Sorry about that Brad...  I finished my post and came back to see your post above.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E,

You are right about the overbuilding of high dollar condos.  If there were a lot of 90,000-100,000 condos they would sell real fast.   I think the Rorick would be sold out if it was about 8 blocks to the north west.
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Big E, Well put and great points.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Big E wrote:(what's the plural of analysis?)
Analyses.   8)

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:Big E,

You are right about the overbuilding of high dollar condos.  If there were a lot of 90,000-100,000 condos they would sell real fast.   I think the Rorick would be sold out if it was about 8 blocks to the north west.
Northwest???

And great points, Big E.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:Big E,

Northwest???

And great points, Big E.
OOPS!

North East (closer to Downtown)
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Yeah I don't think the commuters would be too happy if they built a condo tower right in the middle of i-480.   :P
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If the Rorick were 8 blocks northeast it would be another $100/sqft, too.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Our prices at the Rorick have already gone up $4,500 per unit since I've moved in in the very end of September.
DTO