Brandeis Building (210 S 16th St)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Though I do like Panera, it sort of annoys me that they haven't tried harder to get a local retailer, or at least one that isn't already in Omaha.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Swift wrote:Though I do like Panera, it sort of annoys me that they haven't tried harder to get a local retailer, or at least one that isn't already in Omaha.
We already have plenty of local retailers in the old market I'm glad we're getting another national chain in DT. As far as retailers not already in Omaha, that would be nice but we have almost every national chain restaraunt in the nation (except cheesecake factory, which is in the works). :lol:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see a chain than nothing at all.

But you can never have too many local retailers.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

On the other side there is a subway and a spot that just says pizza. In the middle there is also a space that says Omaha Deli. So it sounds like those quick in and out places to eat at are starting to come downtown like we wanted. Good to hear!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I AM with Bob.

I think Panera would be excellent downtown but would rather see something new to Omaha, or local.

I'm always a little bitter, though, with national chains who have been in the Omaha market for years but have always overlooked the downtown market. That should be the first place they locate, as far as I'm concerned.

So even when they finally open up downtown, I'm happy, but still a little bitter. Like...FINALLY!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:Heh... I read that as "PanTera" the first time. I was thinking the Omaha music scene was going to get a REAL kick in the arse from that.

-Big E
:lol: I thought that too. A Pantera bread would be cool. You walk in and get hit in the face with rock hard bread. You'll be bleeding and trying to talk and then Phil would come over and be all like. "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!!!" and then you'll be like geez he's |expletive| hostile. :)
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

A menu item could be Primal Concrete Salad.

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:On the other side there is a subway and a spot that just says pizza. In the middle there is also a space that says Omaha Deli. So it sounds like those quick in and out places to eat at are starting to come downtown like we wanted. Good to hear!
Umm, there's already 11 "in & out" food vendors in the Brandeis building, including Subway and a pizza joint. Of course, Panera and a deli would add to the selection already there.
Maverick
Home Owners Association

Post by Maverick »

Looking at those plans, does anyone else find it odd that Starbucks is 3,000 square feet and Panera only 2,000? That would be a HUGE Starbucks, and I've never been in Starbucks bigger than a panera.

On another note, is the food court in Brandies, the old one, that originally had a Subway and New York Burrito, still open? Icejammer mentioned 11 "in and out food vendors" already there, I'm assuming that's what he was referring to? But I thought that had closed?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

The food vendors are still open in the Brandeis building food court. They do a pretty good business. They are still connected via tunnel to the First National Tower and thus all the other tunnels connecting FNBO's campus. So, they still get all that business including the Woodman tower folks
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I AM with Bob.

I think Panera would be excellent downtown but would rather see something new to Omaha, or local.

I'm always a little bitter, though, with national chains who have been in the Omaha market for years but have always overlooked the downtown market. That should be the first place they locate, as far as I'm concerned.

So even when they finally open up downtown, I'm happy, but still a little bitter. Like...FINALLY!!!
They are just following the money… to DTO.
15-17, 26, 32
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
I AM with Bob.

I'm not sure how you can be bitter with the chains following a business plan that works. There just aren't enough people downtown, outside of the Old Market, for a national chain restaurant to make it, yet.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

scraper wrote:There just aren't enough people downtown, outside of the Old Market, for a national chain restaurant to make it, yet.
I like the yet part. :D
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

scraper wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
I AM with Bob.

I'm not sure how you can be bitter with the chains following a business plan that works. There just aren't enough people downtown, outside of the Old Market, for a national chain restaurant to make it, yet.
BS. The fact is that most chains are pussies when it comes to locating in urban areas. There's sure as heck more people who live downtown than out in the corn fields where these developments seem to pop up all the time.

It just seems like by the time they open up their first store downtown it should be their third or fourth.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Even before the condo boom we still had CU, isn’t that enough to warrant these establishments to locate at least one DT local…
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, but if you listened to Todd n Tyler yesterday you would know that Creighton students are busy spending their money on white call girls from West Omaha:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2094990

Of note:

"Police reports indicated most of the women were young and white. The majority listed addresses from west Omaha."

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Big E wrote:Yeah, but if you listened to Todd n Tyler yesterday you would know that Creighton students are busy spending their money on white call girls from West Omaha:

Of note:

"Police reports indicated most of the women were young and white. The majority listed addresses from west Omaha."

-Big E
LMAO :lol:
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Big E wrote:Yeah, but if you listened to Todd n Tyler yesterday you would know that Creighton students are busy spending their money on white call girls from West Omaha:

Of note:

-Big E
Then those girls take their money to West O and spend it there. Hahaha, that's great Big E, thanks for pointing that out and making my bad day a little more enjoyable. :lol:
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

from the daily record:

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON THE BRANDEIS LOFTS,
L..L.C. TAX INCREMENT FINANCING REDEVELOPMENT
PROJECT PLAN

The Brandeis Lofts L.L.C. Tax Increment
Financing Redevelopment Project Plan for the
Historic J.L. Brandeis Building/Parking
Structure proposes the renovation and
conversion of the site into a mixed-use
development with 141 market rate residential
condominium units with approximately 101
parking stalls and market rate office and
commercial condominiums.
The plan proposes $9,750,000 in Tax Increment
Financing. The City will receive $250,000 of
the TIF for public improvements as determined
by the City. The total project cost is
estimated to be $58,998,000.

Wow! is it just me or does 59 mil seem like alot for this kind of project?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

nebport5 wrote:Wow! is it just me or does 59 mil seem like alot for this kind of project?
That does seem like quite a bit of money especially since it's a conversion project. $34 million sounds a little more accurate. Anyways, I know the the Wallstreet Tower will cost around $100 million but they have to demolish an existing large building and then build a 32 story building from the ground up.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

$59 mil does seem rather high; I think that works out to ~$180 per square foot of building space (and doesn't include the $8 mil or so they paid for it in the first place, or does it?). Of course, it does look like, from the link in another post, that they're putting a garage underneath the ground level floor, which would eat up a chunk of change in a hurry, but still......that's going to be some expensive real estate to purchase if that $59 mil is right.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Appears they've had a couple lanes of Douglas blocked off all day, pumping concrete through a 6th floor window - not sure what they're pouring (floor, new elevator shaft, columns???).

Anybody else heard anything recently on this building?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've been casing that place for quite awhile. I think I may have found a way in.
DTO
UrbanOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by UrbanOmaha »

The construction is moving forward at a fast pace. Currently the entire 9th floor is framed, drywalled and starting to have the finishes added. The first owners will be moving in mid-June.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

UbanOmaha, Do they have any new tenants signed for the retail space
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

icejammer wrote:Appears they've had a couple lanes of Douglas blocked off all day...Anybody else heard anything recently on this building?
Work On Brandeis Building To Divert Traffic
Condos, Retail Going Into Historic Building

Another closure affects downtown traffic and the bus route as 16th Street between Douglas and Farnam is closed until April 3.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Just a small price to pay for progress.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

4-11-06 update:

Food Court is open (go eat something, it's good)
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

About two weeks or so ago, the dumpster and other construction stuff dissappeared from the 16th Street sidewalk, and is now hidden in the alley. The residents entrance is now open, and today I saw a couple walk in with grocery bags. It seems the construction has been from the top floor down, so that units up top could be occupied while construction continues on the lower floors. It's the second time this week I saw people enter the residents entrance, rather than the one that leads to the sales office and food court. Looks to me like it has it's first owners moved in.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I saw an ENORMOUS moving fan alongside it a week ago as well (must have been moving in to a BIG unit). They are definitely moving in.
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

I eat at the food court occasionally when I'm visting my mom at work. Cool spot to be at during the day.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

OPlaya wrote:I eat at the food court occasionally when I'm visting my mom at work. Cool spot to be at during the day.
-It is a decent place for lunch. I still can't believe they allowed smoking there until just a few years ago.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

JHuston, I have never seen one of these moving fans. I bet it would have to be enormous though for it to be able to blow someone's belongs all the way to the top floor. Sounds a lot easier than having to carry one's stuff all the way to the top....hmmm where can I get one. :P
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Two Men and a Truck were there again today unloading. When I worked at First National, I used to eat at the food court a lot! UP was still in the building then, and the food court was busy! When UP moved out, the food court merchants saw business drop by 50%. It picked up some with First National in the tower, but never has regained the level of sales it had a few years ago. Once construction is done, I think it will look great and be more inviting again. I heard a while back the building owners reduced the rent on the food court spaces to compensate for the mess during the construction process.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

UP has there own food court now. I'm guessing that has more to do with business going down since they only moved a block away.
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Chef is referring to when UP had more employees spread throughout downtown with various leases. They had a large presence in the Brandeis building. Those employees were moved to the new HQ building upon completion. Eventhough it is only a few blocks, they were in the same building as the food court. The lack of UP presence combined with the employee food court in the HQ building really hurt business at Brandeis.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

So, I got some news on the Brandeis Building and it's not good.
Construction has slowed as the sell of condo's is not going great. Seems they are having a hard time competing with the future WallStreet tower, Jlofts and other condo's that have better views or locations.

The retail space is all gutted and ready for tenants but they have not signed anyone. My source said they are asking way too much for rent and have had very little interest.

A total of 7 condo's are occupied.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

For one I think those are over priced. They don't have as much of a view and for what they are asking it doesn't surprise me. Maybe wealthier buyers are scared off by the sad state of 16th St. Something to think about.
DTO
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

Location, location, location. The 3 rules of real estate. Brandeis doesn't have it compared to Paxton, JLofts or Wallstreet Towers. That needs to be factored into the prices, and its not.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I don't know, Brandeis has those other locations beat for proximity to the heart of the working core of downtown, just not the views of the others.

Still, kind of disappointing to hear it's slooooowww, just more ammo for the anti-downtown crowd (very few of whom lurk about here, I'll hastily add) to crow about...
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan