Brandeis Building (210 S 16th St)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I agree - major props to Townsend.  :banger:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What a GREAT ambitious plan!  I like the fact the 2 national restaurants are interested.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm hoping the Brandies brings some much needed attention to 16th St.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I'm hoping the Brandies brings some much needed attention to 16th St.
You know if the could get a big draw in the open store front across the street and a block down, the would be on hopping section of street.  May they could build homeless proof bus stops along there.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It would be nice to have something start the progress. So much of 16th St. is the |expletive| end of some parking garage which just kills the activity on the street.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It would be cool if they put a store in the commercial space that would be a FOR SURE success, and one that would spawn other development and ultimately revive 16th street.  A store that would be a dream come true would be something like an Apple store or something like that.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Linkin5 wrote:It would be cool if they put a store in the commercial space that would be a FOR SURE success, and one that would spawn other development and ultimately revive 16th street.  A store that would be a dream come true would be something like an Apple store or something like that.

An Apple Store?  Maybe a soup kitchen.  Unless they move the MAT bus stops and the Greyhound station 16th street is going to stay a wasteland.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, the bus stops and the bus station, in and of themselves, are the problem.  :roll:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brandeis owners can start work
The sale of the historic Brandeis building has closed, giving the new owners the green light to finish the project. . . .

Townsend also plans to renovate and expand the Brandeis food court and find a restaurant for the northeast ground-level corner.

Construction is expected to start in April and should take 11 to 14 months, said Jason Townsend, the company's president and principal. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Sweet!
DTO
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

New office furniture and equipment was being moved into previous sales office in the Brandeis building and it appears LUND-ROSS is the contractor & as the have put up their signs. Also, a couple of construction dudes with hard hats were already getting busy.
Last edited by ItsAllAboutMe on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Also, a couple of construction dudes with hard hats were already getting busy.

YYYYYYYMCA!!!!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Tuna, we can only hope so!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha projects on track, developer says
STEVE JORDON WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:At the Brandeis Building, he said, construction is under way on apartments on floors two through seven, and the design phase has begun for commercial space on the first and second floors. Design work should be done by the end of June, and construction will start soon after that, he said, with the building's food court remaining open. Townsend said he expects the apartment construction to be done within 12 months. On floors eight and nine, condominiums will be finished as they are sold.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i was talking to a person that works there and i asked about it and wall street tower and what they had to say was very very cool.  I was asked to keep it hush hush, which sucks because there are things not announced yet that are waiting to be finalized.  I know that there are going to be some good food options and that the food court will start operating later than the 3pm it is currently at.  They said that there is a decent sized waiting list for people wanting places in brandeis and that the only hang up is completion of new units.  From what i was told, it sounds like there will be a few more amenities at brandeis, but the places won't be quite as nice as wall street.  I know it is all very vague but if i hear more and they say it's cool to spill the beans i will :)
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ummm....dude.  That's what the "guest" option is for!!!!  Post that |expletive| anonymously in the future!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

ah heck, i meant to, but i forgot i set it up to automatically sign in...i didn't even think of it at the time
Go Cubs Go
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A very large building permit appeared in the Monday World-Herald.  Something like $9,000,000 if I recall.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Ummm....dude.  That's what the "guest" option is for!!!!  Post that |expletive| anonymously in the future!
Or a private message...cough cough :D
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

haha, let me see how i can put this...  there will be some non-alcohol related options, and some more "major" food tenants, in terms of name recognition.  There will be things going in that all of downtown could use in terms of recreation & lifestyle in Brandeis, and as everyone knew already, there should be more significant retailers going in at wall street on the ground level.  Even she didn't tell me THAT much, and we had been drinking so after she said what she did, she followed up with, "Oh |expletive|, but don't tell anyone because my boss would be upset!" so if i see her in the near future I'll see if the coast is clear  8)
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nativeomahan wrote:A very large building permit appeared in the Monday World-Herald.  Something like $9,000,000 if I recall.

and wouldn't they have all their permits already?  I honestly do not know, everything I've always seen has had their permits before they started anything so i thought i'd ask. :P
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm hoping for a Taco Bell.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Highly doubtful but you never know. However a quick serve sit down place like a Chipotle or equivalent seems like a good goal.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

the1wags wrote:Highly doubtful but you never know. However a quick serve sit down place like a Chipotle or equivalent seems like a good goal.
That is exactly what I was thinking...although I prefer Qdoba :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Highly doubtful but you never know. However a quick serve sit down place like a Chipotle or equivalent seems like a good goal.
Chipotle or better yet, a PepperJax would be great!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

thenewguy wrote:....downtown could use in terms of recreation & lifestyle in Brandeis.....
hmm.... what could this be?  A bookstore???  I know that one of the big chains (Borders?  B&N?) had looked into the Lerner building project before that got stalled.  That would be a great get for the Brandeis, as it could help keep people on the streets in the downtown area past business hours.

Anything is better than the existing, at this point.  Bring it on!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I don't remember her mentioning a bookstore even though it would be nice.  It was more along the lines of a fitness/lifestyle center, but i don't know if it was like a 24 hour fitness or something like that.  She said that one of the food options was going to try and utilize the old bank drive through...so it could be a taco bell/macdonald's/starbucks/burger king/etc.  It'd suck if it were a starbucks, because there's already one down there.  I think a book store would be good, a drug store would be good, just something that would give downtowners more of a 24 hour option for things.  When i was in Chicago, a lot of the stores (grocery and otherwise) were open 24 hours, and you usually saw a good amount of people walking around.  The plus side of the whole thing is that there is a lot of space at Brandeis to do some really good things and it's in a good location.  I think that if they get some stuff going that it will help spur other developments because of the attractiveness of the area.
Go Cubs Go
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So just out of curiosity why are the buss stops to blame for all the trash and transients?  Would getting rid of public transportation solve our homeless problem then?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:So just out of curiosity why are the buss stops to blame for all the trash and transients?  Would getting rid of public transportation solve our homeless problem then?
No, law enforcement kicking them out of the bus stops would help the homeless problem.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I saw an ad for The Brandeis in From House to Home, the OWH's "home and lifestyle magazine."  Anyway, it seems like Townsend is really taking this project in a fantastic direction.  The ad lauds the buildings three main "areas": The Enclave's luxury residences (condos), The Renata's upscale apartments, and The Pavilion's FINE RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS.

The new logo shows "THE BRANDEIS" and also reiterates "Luxury residences, apartments, and FINE RETAIL".

This really makes me wonder what Townsend has up his sleeve...  You don't call just ANYTHING "fine retail."

There's also a new updated website:
http://www.atthebrandeis.com

It looks like a great web site, with an AWESOME shot of the Brandeis and some of the surrounding density.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
There's also a new updated website:
http://www.atthebrandeis.com

It looks like a great web site, with an AWESOME shot of the Brandeis and some of the surrounding density.
Jeebus, I need to get a magnifying glass!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Asten wrote:Jeebus, I need to get a magnifying glass!
Same here, all skrunched up in the top center of the screen!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ha!  Yeah, it was like that the first time I looked at it, but I assumed it was just a glitch.  Try using a different browser (Firefox, Explorer, etc.).  I eventually got the full size.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Too bad they didn't have anything to expand on under the "dining & shops" section.  I was hoping they made some announcements soon.  I heard they were going to put in a drive through restaurant (can't remember if i said that or not) which I'd imagine would be a mcdonald's, starbucks, burger king, taco bell, etc.  At this point, i don't remember for sure what the lady that works there told me.
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Further evidence of things moving along....

they were pouring concrete for something one of the higher up floors of the building. Construction crews are all over the place on the inside. Once this project is completed I see it being a major hub of activity Downtown and will hopefully kickstart other things along 16th St.
DTO
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

heck...anyone know how much approx a 2 bedroom aparmtnet would be for this place? would be interesting to know....

looking to move downtown...

so far..only thing that seems reasonable and not a total dump is either orpheum tower or macaroni lofts....since they take cats! -
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i would say nothing less than at least $1,200 or $1,300...  a buddy of mine's parents live at River Park apartments over here in Council Bluffs on the golf course by Harrah's, and they pay about $1,100/month and it doesn't have near the amenities that Brandeis will.  And it's not located in downtown Omaha :P
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Their rents are between $700-$900
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stopped in over lunch today.

1 bdrm: $700-$1,000
2 bdrm: $1,100 to $1,500
3 bdrm: $1,500 to $1,800

The places sound nice though.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Stopped in over lunch today.

1 bdrm: $700-$1,000
2 bdrm: $1,100 to $1,500
3 bdrm: $1,500 to $1,800

The places sound nice though.
I own a 3 bedroom house for the price of a 1 bedroom apartment...