Omaha Chamber Kiosk (13 & Howard)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bruning has one other suggestion. “Perhaps we could have a public naming contest,” he said.
Please!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

nebport5 wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Well for $30,000 I'd hope it was permanent, however I think they could find a better location. Next to the stadium wouldn't be a bad idea.
next to the old stadium.
How about IN the old stadium..... and keep it there.  :twisted:
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Coyote wrote:
Bruning has one other suggestion. “Perhaps we could have a public naming contest,” he said.
Please!
I shudder thinking of what names it would get but I'm sure it would be the equivalent of a calender full of puppies in santa hats.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Somebody snap a shot of this POS, this I gotta see. Sounds pretty epic fail.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

From the article it sounds like they made the whole thing really fast so they could get it in place for the CWS.
This corner looks very cluttered now.  The "O" piece should be wheeled to some other location.
It just looks like they are trying to do too much here.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

the1wags wrote:Somebody snap a shot of this POS, this I gotta see. Sounds pretty epic fail.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100616/M ... -dedicated
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
the1wags wrote:Somebody snap a shot of this POS, this I gotta see. Sounds pretty epic fail.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100616/M ... -dedicated
epic fail, mega waste of space.
Go Cubs Go
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

I can't believe people are bitching about this without even seeing it!  I think it is quite unique, and the large size is fun and whimsical. The way it is casually leaning against the big screen adds to the look. I do think it resembles a basketball player about as much as a baseball player, though.  Those shoes!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

omaproud wrote:I can't believe people are bitching about this without even seeing it!  I think it is quite unique, and the large size is fun and whimsical. The way it is casually leaning against the big screen adds to the look. I do think it resembles a basketball player about as much as a baseball player, though.  Those shoes!!
i've seen it.
Go Cubs Go
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

He needs a gym membership.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The “O! Dude,” seriously?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The concept itself isn't terrible; a big, tall sculpture of a human figure leaning against the back of the digital screen.

It's just the execution. That's the epic fail. Just look at it. It's cheesy, sloppy, and zany - all the things you DON'T want "art" to be. And yes, "O! Dude"??? Are you |expletive| kidding me?

I would have rather seen the "Sounding Stones" (or whatever) moved to this location. (In fairness, I actually don't mind them and think their current location is great.)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Went down there today. Had to refrain from vomiting all over. They don't mention it - but the freakin' head moves! Terrible.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

justnick wrote:Went down there today. Had to refrain from vomiting all over. They don't mention it - but the freakin' head moves! Terrible.
I think we should do a whole bunch of those giant O!Dudes all over town just like the O statues. I think it'd be hilarious with how creepy that thing looks.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

A rather bad picture of an even worse statue. I love the excorcist head.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It almost seems like a joke. You know, like that contest of who can write the best "worst" opening sentence for a novel - the "Dark and Stormy Night" competition or something like that.

As in, what's the cheesiest, stupidest artwork we can put on this site, and what's the worst possible name to give such a work?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Wow, that IS awful.  :?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Alright, upon further review this is terrible. Kind of funny, though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Saw it in person tonight... The name bothers me more than the actual statue...  The use of "dude" in a official name is a bad idea  in 2010...
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Well, my dad likes it.

Post by ricko »

The revenge of the M.B.A.'s.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wow.  Not a complete cluster fcuk like Enron, but in our own little way a mess.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Mean while, the MAC has a massive Kaneko installation that most people don't get to see.

How nice it would be to have something like this instead of the Dude.
I know, there is one by the Hilton, just using this as an example

How about a couple of these

I'd like to see these on the green space to the West of the 902 building
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

we drove by the other day and it's not as bad in person as it is in the pictures.  Is it super awesome?  No.  But not as bad as i thought.
Go Cubs Go
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Surely I'm not the only person totally over Kaneko?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

justnick wrote:Surely I'm not the only person totally over Kaneko?
Nope, just you.    :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Kaneko is the bee's knees
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Omaha Chamber Kiosk (13 & Howard)

Post by iamjacobm »

Has anybody ever seen that kiosk in use here? I have had to have passed it hundreds of times over the years and never once seen that little building in use. What was the purpose when it was built?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I never have either.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Come to think about it, I've never seen it in use.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

nope.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Has anybody ever seen that kiosk in use here?  I have had to have passed it hundreds of times over the years and never once seen that little building in use.  What was the purpose when it was built?
I have never seen it used. It was supposed to be able to available for vending during special events. I have seen chamber staff open it up a few times but it appears it is just storage for the chairs and umbrellas.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

That spot should be put to better use.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I noticed one of the cantilevered lights on the kiosk was busted off and left dangling when I walked by yesterday. It looked very welcoming.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Apologies, I had been posting in the Chamber business thread. This seems more relevant to the redevelopment yet to be announced.

https://www.ketv.com/article/greater-om ... d/22603455
Officials with the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce announced Tuesday that the organization's property at 13th and Harney Streets will be in transition, meaning public events at the courtyard will end Aug. 31.

Dandelion and Heartland B-cycle are the main businesses that will be affected, likely no longer able to utilize the space as a gathering spot for customers.

The courtyard houses the Les Bruning’s O! Dude, provides a sanctuary for protected, native grasses and offers open seating for casual and hosted events.

During the transition, the O! Dude, fountain, grasses and other amenities will be relocated, while the “We Don’t Coast” wall is currently under review for new locations.

“The transformation of this space is just one illustration of our region’s continued growth, as well as the growth of the 13th Street corridor,” said David G. Brown, president and CEO of the Greater Omaha Chamber. “It’s a space that has thrived thanks to our neighbors, and we owe them our gratitude.”
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I’ve heard a fair number of people upset about losing the dandelion spot but that place has been a temporary placeholder for years. They can find any other number of empty lots to do the dandelion in it. And I hope they do.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm I’ve heard a fair number of people upset about losing the dandelion spot but that place has been a temporary placeholder for years. They can find any other number of empty lots to do the dandelion in it. And I hope they do.
I am not really mad at the Chamber, it was pretty apparent this was going to be sold off and developed soon. Where the chamber dropped the ball is how they handled the situation with Dandelion. If a Chamber of Commerce is going to excel at anything it should be communication and problem solving. Instead it sounds like they didn't give Dandelion a lot of communication about the timeline of events and didn't work with them proactively to find a new home for this great addition to the DT lunch scene. That is what is most disappointing here.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 am
Louie wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm I’ve heard a fair number of people upset about losing the dandelion spot but that place has been a temporary placeholder for years. They can find any other number of empty lots to do the dandelion in it. And I hope they do.
I am not really mad at the Chamber, it was pretty apparent this was going to be sold off and developed soon. Where the chamber dropped the ball is how they handled the situation with Dandelion. If a Chamber of Commerce is going to excel at anything it should be communication and problem solving. Instead it sounds like they didn't give Dandelion a lot of communication about the timeline of events and didn't work with them proactively to find a new home for this great addition to the DT lunch scene. That is what is most disappointing here.
Fair enough, I can understand that sentiment
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

On Grow Omaha, David Brown said that in about 30 days the Chamber will announce what the development on the old Chamber site will look like. If I remember correctly, he also said the artwork and things will be moved to another locations.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

CyborgKen wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 pm On Grow Omaha, David Brown said that in about 30 days the Chamber will announce what the development on the old Chamber site will look like. If I remember correctly, he also said the artwork and things will be moved to another locations.
So they already have a buyer/developer? Or is it more of a wish list for the location?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They already put out their RFP in the spring. They should have a developer in place.