Omaha Chamber Kiosk (13 & Howard)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No complaining about Husker games, just let it go.  I'm sure Creighton will get equal time.

New gem at 13th & Howard

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090731/MONEY/707319980
A new downtown plaza will sprout on property owned by the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, and the people behind the project hope the area will become a popular community gathering space.

The chamber will spend $755,000 to improve roughly one-quarter of a square block at 13th and Howard Streets.

The centerpiece will be a 10-foot-wide LED screen that will showcase chamber events, images of the city and even Husker football games. The plaza also will feature free wifi, a small fountain, the chamber’s O! sculpture, a kiosk for use during events and native Nebraska plants.

“It really is going to dress up what arguably is one of the ugliest corners in town,” said David Brown, the chamber’s president and CEO.

Currently, the parking lot behind the chamber office marks something of a stopping point for the Old Market. But Brown said he hopes the plaza becomes a new gateway marker for the Old Market and even helps stretch foot traffic up Howard Street.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Flipping awesome! Can't wait.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Rendering:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Jihad!

I like the concept but that whole block needs pancaked.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Nice little project accept for the husker football game thing.  Let's turn it to the science channel during football so those philistines who watch huskers get educated for once.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

MTO wrote:Nice little project accept for the husker football game thing.  Let's turn it to the science channel during football so those philistines who watch huskers get educated for once.
Looks like someone isn't watching enough science channel. ;)

I really like this project, though. Much better than what's there now.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

In the rendering I see that little corner O! sign, they already have a similar one on the block to the north along Harney.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It will have a nice skyline view...  

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Excellent news! I didn't realize the chamber owned that land... Kind of disappointing something like this didn't come along sooner.

The screen is an AWESOME idea. Husker football games, though??? I'm not opposed to that, but why not play up Creighton basketball, CWS, Maverick's hockey, or US Olympic swimming... you know events that take place IN OMAHA... HELLO.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebugeater
City Council

Re: New gem at 13th & Howard

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:No complaining about Husker games, just let it go.  I'm sure Creighton will get equal time.

Play by the rules or I will join in to cover the other side.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Its kind of cool that it will be all done by October. It will surely help to draw pedestrian traffic out of the old market. However, this now creates an awkwardly shaped parking lot behind it that would be difficult to develop.

Also, there is no way that this is the ugliest corner in town...not even downtown IMO.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

You'd just have to build an L-shaped building to keep this plaza on the corner, I wouldn't really call that awkward.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Reeeer little pissy there Mr. Williams?  We can go on for pages complaining about road signs about grammar about how tall a building is.  But one negative post about your precious huskers and you start menstruating all over yourself.  Why don't you let it go Brad!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Definitely better than what's there now.

Wishful thinking, but I'd much rather see something like J-Lofts go in there with more of a strong presence right up to the street corner.

But, we'll take whatever we can get in place of a portion of a parking lot, although that design is not far beyond ordinary.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Also, there is no way that this is the ugliest corner in town...not even downtown IMO.
Oh, ABSOLUTELY. Totally agree.

And you're right, GetUrban, it's a pretty plain design, and I wish it made use of the whole area of that lot. But I do think some L shaped infill could potentially happen someday.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

A great idea, at least for a few years. As others have noted, an L shaped infill project could still go in over the parking lot.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Re: New gem at 13th & Howard

Post by Bosco55David »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:No complaining about Husker games, just let it go.  I'm sure Creighton will get equal time.

Play by the rules or I will join in to cover the other side.
Right behind ya.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Excellent news! I didn't realize the chamber owned that land... Kind of disappointing something like this didn't come along sooner.

The screen is an AWESOME idea. Husker football games, though??? I'm not opposed to that, but why not play up Creighton basketball, CWS, Maverick's hockey, or US Olympic swimming... you know events that take place IN OMAHA... HELLO.
They never said thats all they'll show though, they could show any numebr of things, its what the city decides.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Ok, they have started on this but I'm not happy that they cut down the large locust trees that hid the ugly parking garage.  I can't believe they had to do this.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Those trees had probably served their purpose though, they maybe had 5 years left in them. And if you look at the base of the trees the parking lot pavement was basically right up to the edge of the trunk.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Here's my take.  I know you were all holding your breath.

Fail.  

We just took a prime piece of property that should be a very natural extension of the Old Market and eventual connection to whatever happens on 16th Street, and put another developmental black hole in the way, further enforcing the notion that no one should ever venture west of 13th Street once they dare come east of 72nd.

Yeah, a video screen is neato and everything that's not a landfill beats a surface parking lot, but once the economic recovery starts (not if, but when) that quarter-block is now and essentially forever off the list of viable corners to build.

Who funds the CoC?  Members or the city?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Who funds the CoC?  Members or the city?
Me!  I am not sure if the city kicks any in.  I would assume they would, but I know myself and other members pay an annual fee.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

THey are already starting construction on this this morning.

Like I said before, that whole block, garage included, needs to be leveled.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:Here's my take.  I know you were all holding your breath.

Fail.  

We just took a prime piece of property that should be a very natural extension of the Old Market and eventual connection to whatever happens on 16th Street, and put another developmental black hole in the way, further enforcing the notion that no one should ever venture west of 13th Street once they dare come east of 72nd.

Yeah, a video screen is neato and everything that's not a landfill beats a surface parking lot, but once the economic recovery starts (not if, but when) that quarter-block is now and essentially forever off the list of viable corners to build.

Who funds the CoC?  Members or the city?
Totally see your point, Big E, but seriously, this is not THAT permanent. I think of it as being like the OWH block... Temporary until something GREAT comes along.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

then can just build around it.  Like they had to do with that cafe in *Batteries Not Included.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:then can just build around it.  Like they had to do with that cafe in *Batteries Not Included.
You need to get out more if you are pulling references like that...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
thenewguy wrote:then can just build around it.  Like they had to do with that cafe in *Batteries Not Included.
You need to get out more if you are pulling references like that...

haha yeah, i guess it IS from 1987.

At any rate, i think streets has a point about this.
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Totally see your point, Big E, but seriously, this is not THAT permanent. I think of it as being like the OWH block... Temporary until something GREAT comes along.
Fair enough, but three-quarters of a million is a lot for a small city's CoC to spend on a disposable park.  I think they could have more wisely spent that money on trying to attract someone to actually build there.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:a small city's CoC  
My city's CoC is bigger than your cities CoC.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I was wondering how long that would take.  

Good to be home.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was going to bust my CoC out earlier but that last post worked better. :)
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Totally see your point, Big E, but seriously, this is not THAT permanent. I think of it as being like the OWH block... Temporary until something GREAT comes along.
Fair enough, but three-quarters of a million is a lot for a small city's CoC to spend on a disposable park.  I think they could have more wisely spent that money on trying to attract someone to actually build there.
Totally agree.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

This park will be a great addition to that corner.   Hopefully some day once downtown gets really developed they will tear out the park, parking lot, garage, and chamber building for a big development.
where the corn meets the concrete
barattataxicab
New to the Neighborhood

Post by barattataxicab »

I fairly impressed with the CoC. It seems to be growing every year.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

barattataxicab wrote:I fairly impressed with the CoC. It seems to be growing every year.
 :lafcry:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You don't say. :)
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The chamber does a great job for the city.  We have one of the strongest chambers in the city.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:The chamber does a great job for the city.  We have one of the strongest chambers in the city.
Do you mean in the state? In the country? In the WORLD? :) Obviously our CoC is the best in the city. ;)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

On Grow Omaha they always say we have one of the strongest chambers in the Country.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

barattataxicab wrote:I fairly impressed with the CoC. It seems to be growing every year.

If we went CoC to CoC with our regional peer cities, such as Des Moines, Kansas City, and Wichita, Omaha's CoC wins by several inches.