16th Street Master Plan

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Hyok Kim wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
I encounter people from all around the country where I work.  If there is one thing I can tell you is that there are nice and laid back people, mean people, rich people, poor people, and crazy people EVERYWHERE.


...and you believe people in the middle east think and behave exactly like us here?





Linkin5 wrote:
 I have a feeling you spend so much time judging things you fail to get an authentic experience.


I just observe, based on my working with people primarily.    You see, before I came to Omaha, I had thought Omaha would have higher work ethic, more community spirit than Portland, based on that positive midwestern stereotype.

But people can change for the better.   For example, not so long ago, till 1960's, South Koreans were probably the most worthless, and arrogant and delusional people in the world.

Omahans today, despite their flaws, are far ahead of the Koreans from 1960's.    

So there is a hope.


You suck at quoting.

Why the heck are you talking about the Middle East and Korea?  Go home you are drunk.

Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 am
Location: In a Restaurant

Postby Hyok Kim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Those are some big brushes your painting with.


Yes, I am, but do you deny the essential truth of what I am painting with?      After all, I lived here from 89 to 98, and from 99 to this day.   I lived in South O for about a year.  The rest of time in Down Town.    I worked for a living, sometimes holding 3 jobs, working 100 hours a week.   I worked for 10 different companies in Omaha. I attended metro.


I think I have earned the right to paint with some big brushes.



No one has a right to paint with big brushes. Those are never the best nor most accurate paintings anyway.


Okay, so what is the best and the most accurate way to paint?

Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 am
Location: In a Restaurant

Postby Hyok Kim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Linkin5 wrote: 



You suck at quoting



Why the heck are you talking about the Middle East and Korea?  Go home you are drunk.



This is the kind of attitude Omaha needs to change.   Too many people here cannot take some constructive criticism.   Instead, they want to stay, 'Positive'.  Kinda like some guys farting loud in order to compensate for their small dicks.

Portland in the 70's sucked big time.   City fathers had to finally face up to it. "Our city sucks BIG TIME."    Portland in 70's was one of the most polluted city, with skanky downtown that would make Omaha today look Paris.

You wouldn't believe how skanky Portland was till mid 80's.    Omaha could do better than Portland in improving herself, but first she needs to see what's wrong with Omaha, instead of masturbating herself how great she already is, has always been, ala 'The Encounter'.


Btw.  I bet I know a lot more about downtown Omaha than you.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3782
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Hyok Kim wrote:
Linkin5 wrote: 



You suck at quoting



Why the heck are you talking about the Middle East and Korea?  Go home you are drunk.



This is the kind of attitude Omaha needs to change.   Too many people here cannot take some constructive criticism.   Instead, they want to stay, 'Positive'.  Kinda like some guys farting loud in order to compensate for their small dicks.

Portland in the 70's sucked big time.   City fathers had to finally face up to it. "Our city sucks BIG TIME."    Portland in 70's was one of the most polluted city, with skanky downtown that would make Omaha today look Paris.

You wouldn't believe how skanky Portland was till mid 80's.    Omaha could do better than Portland in improving herself, but first she needs to see what's wrong with Omaha, instead of masturbating herself how great she already is, has always been, ala 'The Encounter'.


Btw.  I bet I know a lot more about downtown Omaha than you.


Yeah...there is a lot of things Omaha needs to approve on, I don't think anyone disputes that.  You are baths!t crazy though.

User avatar
thenewguy
Planning Board
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Postby thenewguy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Might as well lock this thread for a while.

We took a real sharp turn away from discussion that actually pertains to 16th street....but at least i am gaining perspective on Portlands effect on the area, so thats good.
Go Cubs Go

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Garrett » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Hyok Kim wrote:
Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:[quote="iamjacobm"]Those are some big brushes your painting with.


Yes, I am, but do you deny the essential truth of what I am painting with?      After all, I lived here from 89 to 98, and from 99 to this day.   I lived in South O for about a year.  The rest of time in Down Town.    I worked for a living, sometimes holding 3 jobs, working 100 hours a week.   I worked for 10 different companies in Omaha. I attended metro.


I think I have earned the right to paint with some big brushes.



No one has a right to paint with big brushes. Those are never the best nor most accurate paintings anyway.


Okay, so what is the best and the most accurate way to paint?[/quote]

Small brushes with nuance and different strokes and shades and depth. Add in color and sight lines, and movement. The most beautiful paintings are the ones that do not share all of their secrets to the unobservant.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Postby HR Paperstacks » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
Axel wrote:[quote="Hyok Kim"][quote="iamjacobm"]Those are some big brushes your painting with.


Yes, I am, but do you deny the essential truth of what I am painting with?      After all, I lived here from 89 to 98, and from 99 to this day.   I lived in South O for about a year.  The rest of time in Down Town.    I worked for a living, sometimes holding 3 jobs, working 100 hours a week.   I worked for 10 different companies in Omaha. I attended metro.


I think I have earned the right to paint with some big brushes.



No one has a right to paint with big brushes. Those are never the best nor most accurate paintings anyway.


Okay, so what is the best and the most accurate way to paint?[/quote]

Small brushes with nuance and different strokes and shades and depth. Add in color and sight lines, and movement. The most beautiful paintings are the ones that do not share all of their secrets to the unobservant.[/quote]
lol, nice response!

almighty_tuna
County Board
Posts: 4451
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Now available in South Central Omaha!
Contact:

Postby almighty_tuna » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Image

Alec12321
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Midtown-ish Omaha

Postby Alec12321 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 pm

I did my best to try to steer back on topic! :D It just obviously didn't work very well...
CHS 2013

Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 am
Location: In a Restaurant

Postby Hyok Kim » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Axel wrote:
Small brushes with nuance and different strokes and shades and depth. Add in color and sight lines, and movement. The most beautiful paintings are the ones that do not share all of their secrets to the unobservant.


So you do not deny the essential truth of what I had said what is holding Omaha back?

Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 am
Location: In a Restaurant

Postby Hyok Kim » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Alec12321 wrote:I did my best to try to steer back on topic! :D It just obviously didn't work very well...


Too many trolls.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Garrett » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 am

I think what would bring the whole area back to life is a big residential tower, kinda like we're seeing in Denver and other cities at the moment. Something at the old transit center would be great.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:25 am

Axel wrote:I think what would bring the whole area back to life is a big residential tower, kinda like we're seeing in Denver and other cities at the moment. Something at the old transit center would be great.



Where is the old transit center?
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am
Location: New York City..Soon To Be Omaha
Contact:

Postby guitarguy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 am

A tower here would do wonders for revitalizing the area and is in a prime spot for making the skyline look more dense.. hopefully at some point in time when all the empty lots in the immediate downtown area are filled with apartments that are maxed out there will be mention of a larger residential tower in the downtown area... 8)

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28073
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:22 am

Makeover on 16th Street?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131115/N ... 6th-street

Erin Golden / World-Herald staff writer wrote:According to the timeline, work on the first phase of the project would begin in April and wrap up by mid-May. Phase two, which would cover Douglas to Howard Streets, would begin in June and be completed by October.

What hasn't been sorted out, however, is who will pay for the work.

The city has just under $2 million marked for the project for 2014 and 2015 in its capital improvement program. But a sizeable portion of that money is listed as “other local funds” — money that would have to be dug up from private donors.

The total project is estimated to cost just more than $7 million.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28073
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Couple Photos of 16th Street:

1.
Image

2.
Image
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Seth
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood

Postby Seth » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 pm

16th Street is an interesting challenge.  Everyone agrees that something needs to be done, but no one really has any idea of what would change it.  This is well-illustrated by the fact that the current state is a result of a past redevelopment effort.  In my experience, the biggest thing keeping people away from 16th St. is the characters who hang out there and the reputation that has built.  I feel like all these proposals are dancing around how to remove them without coming out and saying "evict the bums".

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2712
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Postby RNcyanide » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 pm

For now, remove any object or structure they could take shelter under and increase lighting. Every time I go down there, it's super dark.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby GetUrban » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 pm

In my opinion, the past redevelopment of 16th street failed mainly because such a small percentage of Omahans actually ride buses . The whole state of the art design at the time was based on the transit hub concept. The same type of design was very successful in Minneapolis on Nicolette mall, but a lot more people depend on buses for transportation there, plus they had more people living downtown too. They did eventually lose a lot of their retail along the mall there too. On 16th Street in Omaha, without a sufficient number of riders, the bus shelters were often available for squatters to move-in, in turn scaring away the few who did ride the bus.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

Busguy2010
Library Board
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Postby Busguy2010 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:30 pm

GetUrban wrote:In my opinion, the past redevelopment of 16th street failed mainly because such a small percentage of Omahans actually ride buses . The whole state of the art design at the time was based on the transit hub concept. The same type of design was very successful in Minneapolis on Nicolette mall, but a lot more people depend on buses for transportation there, plus they had more people living downtown too. They did eventually lose a lot of their retail along the mall there too. On 16th Street in Omaha, without a sufficient number of riders, the bus shelters were often available for squatters to move-in, in turn scaring away the few who did ride the bus.


Interestingly, when the mall was built, bus ridership in Omaha was at it's peak of 9.7 million, well over double the ridership we see today.  So at the time it was built it probably served it's purpose and was fairly well trafficked.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Brad wrote:Couple Photos of 16th Street:

1.
Image


Wow, I really love the architecture of the building on the left! I don't think I had ever noticed it before.

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2712
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Postby RNcyanide » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:09 pm

If I'm not mistaken, this is that building:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nati ... ,_Nebraska)
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:41 pm

RNcyanide wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is that building:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nati ... ,_Nebraska)


Yes, that is certainly it. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the buildings downtown.

Btw, changing your link to a shortened one since that one doesn't display correctly: http://goo.gl/eGnN8S

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8639
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is that building:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nati ... ,_Nebraska)


Yes, that is certainly it. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the buildings downtown.

Btw, changing your link to a shortened one since that one doesn't display correctly: http://goo.gl/eGnN8S


One of the old gems that survived Omaha's purge.  One of the reasons that 16th Street is dripping with potential, the urban environment along the corridor is incredible.

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby ItsAllAboutMe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:23 am

This project is a go and it has started with the removal of trees on the East side of the street from FNB.
http://16thstreetproject.com/schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2712
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby RNcyanide » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 am

I can't wait to see how this turns out. This place needs it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby SaveOmaha » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 pm

I can't wait either. Maybe an actually retailer will come to the Brandeis building, and places like King Fong and Culprit will get more foot traffic. I also hope that something like Walgreens or another small grocery store will be on the main level of the Limelight.

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 3913
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: west Omaha

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby Stargazer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:11 pm

This is huge... 16th Street is finally going to awaken.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 19994
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby Coyote » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:30 pm

16th Street is shedding its scraggly appearance

Erin Golden: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The long-awaited overhaul of 16th Street in downtown Omaha is officially underway Monday, as a contractor moves in to start work on the block between Dodge and Douglas Streets.
Image

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby ItsAllAboutMe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:47 am

Good news / Bad news.

Good news, 16th street from Dodge to Douglas complete.
Bad news, it appears that no more work will be done this year. This sucks for the new Limelight building as it was scheduled for this year. Hope I'm wrong but work was supposed to begin on June 2nd with all these trees scheduled to come down in April.

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby nativeomahan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:30 am

Well I for one am glad the trees are staying put!

User avatar
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am
Location: New York City..Soon To Be Omaha
Contact:

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby guitarguy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:45 am

Count me as happy the trees are staying for now too! ....Oh god am I becoming a hippie? :mrgreen:
mountzenith New Album Releasing This Week.. Download For Free Here

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 4933
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:52 am

I like the trees as well. Once they do tear them out, are they planning on putting in new ones?

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2712
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby RNcyanide » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:01 am

skinzfan23 wrote:I like the trees as well.  Once they do tear them out, are they planning on putting in new ones?


I would hope so. Or maybe some shrubbery. Or moss. Something green...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am
Location: New York City..Soon To Be Omaha
Contact:

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby guitarguy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 am

I can see it now.. moss everywhere haha
mountzenith New Album Releasing This Week.. Download For Free Here

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2712
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby RNcyanide » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 am

guitarguy wrote:I can see it now.. moss everywhere haha



Nooooo, it would only grow on the north side of things.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8639
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:49 am

skinzfan23 wrote:I like the trees as well.  Once they do tear them out, are they planning on putting in new ones?


Probably some about the size of the ones in Dundee.

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby ItsAllAboutMe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:50 pm

New Schedule has been posted:.
Howard st north to alley just past king fongs. July--- Water main work, August 1...Street and sidewalk.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1652
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby HR Paperstacks » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:07 pm

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:New Schedule has been posted:.
Howard st north to alley just past king fongs.  July--- Water main work,  August 1...Street and sidewalk.

It's been a long day, I read July as "water main break"

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8639
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 pm

They are paving 16th between Farnam and Harney now and you can get an idea just how much the sidewalk is being cut.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests