16th Street Master Plan

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Hyok Kim wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
I encounter people from all around the country where I work.  If there is one thing I can tell you is that there are nice and laid back people, mean people, rich people, poor people, and crazy people EVERYWHERE.
...and you believe people in the middle east think and behave exactly like us here?

Linkin5 wrote:
 I have a feeling you spend so much time judging things you fail to get an authentic experience.
I just observe, based on my working with people primarily.    You see, before I came to Omaha, I had thought Omaha would have higher work ethic, more community spirit than Portland, based on that positive midwestern stereotype.

But people can change for the better.   For example, not so long ago, till 1960's, South Koreans were probably the most worthless, and arrogant and delusional people in the world.

Omahans today, despite their flaws, are far ahead of the Koreans from 1960's.    

So there is a hope.
You suck at quoting.

Why the heck are you talking about the Middle East and Korea?  Go home you are drunk.
Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association

Post by Hyok Kim »

Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Those are some big brushes your painting with.
Yes, I am, but do you deny the essential truth of what I am painting with?      After all, I lived here from 89 to 98, and from 99 to this day.   I lived in South O for about a year.  The rest of time in Down Town.    I worked for a living, sometimes holding 3 jobs, working 100 hours a week.   I worked for 10 different companies in Omaha. I attended metro.

I think I have earned the right to paint with some big brushes.

No one has a right to paint with big brushes. Those are never the best nor most accurate paintings anyway.
Okay, so what is the best and the most accurate way to paint?
Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association

Post by Hyok Kim »

Linkin5 wrote: 

You suck at quoting

Why the heck are you talking about the Middle East and Korea?  Go home you are drunk.

This is the kind of attitude Omaha needs to change.   Too many people here cannot take some constructive criticism.   Instead, they want to stay, 'Positive'.  Kinda like some guys farting loud in order to compensate for their small dicks.

Portland in the 70's sucked big time.   City fathers had to finally face up to it. "Our city sucks BIG TIME."    Portland in 70's was one of the most polluted city, with skanky downtown that would make Omaha today look Paris.

You wouldn't believe how skanky Portland was till mid 80's.    Omaha could do better than Portland in improving herself, but first she needs to see what's wrong with Omaha, instead of masturbating herself how great she already is, has always been, ala 'The Encounter'.

Btw.  I bet I know a lot more about downtown Omaha than you.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Hyok Kim wrote:
Linkin5 wrote: 

You suck at quoting

This is the kind of attitude Omaha needs to change.   Too many people here cannot take some constructive criticism.   Instead, they want to stay, 'Positive'.  Kinda like some guys farting loud in order to compensate for their small dicks.

Portland in the 70's sucked big time.   City fathers had to finally face up to it. "Our city sucks BIG TIME."    Portland in 70's was one of the most polluted city, with skanky downtown that would make Omaha today look Paris.

You wouldn't believe how skanky Portland was till mid 80's.    Omaha could do better than Portland in improving herself, but first she needs to see what's wrong with Omaha, instead of masturbating herself how great she already is, has always been, ala 'The Encounter'.

Btw.  I bet I know a lot more about downtown Omaha than you.
Yeah...there is a lot of things Omaha needs to approve on, I don't think anyone disputes that.  You are baths!t crazy though.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Might as well lock this thread for a while.

We took a real sharp turn away from discussion that actually pertains to 16th street....but at least i am gaining perspective on Portlands effect on the area, so thats good.
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Hyok Kim wrote:
Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
Yes, I am, but do you deny the essential truth of what I am painting with?      After all, I lived here from 89 to 98, and from 99 to this day.   I lived in South O for about a year.  The rest of time in Down Town.    I worked for a living, sometimes holding 3 jobs, working 100 hours a week.   I worked for 10 different companies in Omaha. I attended metro.

No one has a right to paint with big brushes. Those are never the best nor most accurate paintings anyway.
Small brushes with nuance and different strokes and shades and depth. Add in color and sight lines, and movement. The most beautiful paintings are the ones that do not share all of their secrets to the unobservant.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:
Axel wrote:
Hyok Kim wrote:

Small brushes with nuance and different strokes and shades and depth. Add in color and sight lines, and movement. The most beautiful paintings are the ones that do not share all of their secrets to the unobservant.
lol, nice response!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Alec12321
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Alec12321 »

I did my best to try to steer back on topic! :D It just obviously didn't work very well...
CHS 2013
Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association

Post by Hyok Kim »

Axel wrote:
So you do not deny the essential truth of what I had said what is holding Omaha back?
Hyok Kim
Home Owners Association

Post by Hyok Kim »

Alec12321 wrote:I did my best to try to steer back on topic! :D It just obviously didn't work very well...
Too many trolls.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think what would bring the whole area back to life is a big residential tower, kinda like we're seeing in Denver and other cities at the moment. Something at the old transit center would be great.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Axel wrote:I think what would bring the whole area back to life is a big residential tower, kinda like we're seeing in Denver and other cities at the moment. Something at the old transit center would be great.

Where is the old transit center?
No posts exist for this topic
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

A tower here would do wonders for revitalizing the area and is in a prime spot for making the skyline look more dense.. hopefully at some point in time when all the empty lots in the immediate downtown area are filled with apartments that are maxed out there will be mention of a larger residential tower in the downtown area... 8)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Makeover on 16th Street?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131115/N ... 6th-street
Erin Golden / World-Herald staff writer wrote:According to the timeline, work on the first phase of the project would begin in April and wrap up by mid-May. Phase two, which would cover Douglas to Howard Streets, would begin in June and be completed by October.

What hasn't been sorted out, however, is who will pay for the work.

The city has just under $2 million marked for the project for 2014 and 2015 in its capital improvement program. But a sizeable portion of that money is listed as “other local funds” — money that would have to be dug up from private donors.

The total project is estimated to cost just more than $7 million.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Couple Photos of 16th Street:

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

16th Street is an interesting challenge.  Everyone agrees that something needs to be done, but no one really has any idea of what would change it.  This is well-illustrated by the fact that the current state is a result of a past redevelopment effort.  In my experience, the biggest thing keeping people away from 16th St. is the characters who hang out there and the reputation that has built.  I feel like all these proposals are dancing around how to remove them without coming out and saying "evict the bums".
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

For now, remove any object or structure they could take shelter under and increase lighting. Every time I go down there, it's super dark.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

In my opinion, the past redevelopment of 16th street failed mainly because such a small percentage of Omahans actually ride buses . The whole state of the art design at the time was based on the transit hub concept. The same type of design was very successful in Minneapolis on Nicolette mall, but a lot more people depend on buses for transportation there, plus they had more people living downtown too. They did eventually lose a lot of their retail along the mall there too. On 16th Street in Omaha, without a sufficient number of riders, the bus shelters were often available for squatters to move-in, in turn scaring away the few who did ride the bus.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GetUrban wrote:In my opinion, the past redevelopment of 16th street failed mainly because such a small percentage of Omahans actually ride buses . The whole state of the art design at the time was based on the transit hub concept. The same type of design was very successful in Minneapolis on Nicolette mall, but a lot more people depend on buses for transportation there, plus they had more people living downtown too. They did eventually lose a lot of their retail along the mall there too. On 16th Street in Omaha, without a sufficient number of riders, the bus shelters were often available for squatters to move-in, in turn scaring away the few who did ride the bus.
Interestingly, when the mall was built, bus ridership in Omaha was at it's peak of 9.7 million, well over double the ridership we see today.  So at the time it was built it probably served it's purpose and was fairly well trafficked.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:Couple Photos of 16th Street:

Wow, I really love the architecture of the building on the left! I don't think I had ever noticed it before.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If I'm not mistaken, this is that building:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Nati ... _Nebraska)
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RNcyanide wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is that building:

Yes, that is certainly it. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the buildings downtown.

Btw, changing your link to a shortened one since that one doesn't display correctly: http://goo.gl/eGnN8S
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is that building:

Yes, that is certainly it. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the buildings downtown.

Btw, changing your link to a shortened one since that one doesn't display correctly: http://goo.gl/eGnN8S
One of the old gems that survived Omaha's purge.  One of the reasons that 16th Street is dripping with potential, the urban environment along the corridor is incredible.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Re: 16th Street Master Plan

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

This project is a go and it has started with the removal of trees on the East side of the street from FNB.
http://16thstreetproject.com/schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I can't wait to see how this turns out. This place needs it.

The Bride
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Maybe a new retailer will come to the Brandeis building, and places like King Fong and Culprit will get more foot traffic.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

This is huge... 16th Street is finally going to awaken.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

16th Street is shedding its scraggly appearance
Erin Golden: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The long-awaited overhaul of 16th Street in downtown Omaha is officially underway Monday, as a contractor moves in to start work on the block between Dodge and Douglas Streets.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Good news / Bad news.

Good news, 16th street from Dodge to Douglas complete.
Bad news, it appears that no more work will be done this year. This sucks for the new Limelight building as it was scheduled for this year. Hope I'm wrong but work was supposed to begin on June 2nd with all these trees scheduled to come down in April.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Well I for one am glad the trees are staying put!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Count me as happy the trees are staying for now too! ....Oh god am I becoming a hippie? :mrgreen:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like the trees as well. Once they do tear them out, are they planning on putting in new ones?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:I like the trees as well.  Once they do tear them out, are they planning on putting in new ones?
I would hope so. Or maybe some shrubbery. Or moss. Something green...

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I can see it now.. moss everywhere haha
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:I can see it now.. moss everywhere haha

Nooooo, it would only grow on the north side of things.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:I like the trees as well.  Once they do tear them out, are they planning on putting in new ones?
Probably some about the size of the ones in Dundee.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

New Schedule has been posted:.
Howard st north to alley just past king fongs. July--- Water main work, August 1...Street and sidewalk.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:New Schedule has been posted:.
Howard st north to alley just past king fongs.  July--- Water main work,  August 1...Street and sidewalk.
It's been a long day, I read July as "water main break"
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They are paving 16th between Farnam and Harney now and you can get an idea just how much the sidewalk is being cut.