A redesign for Dundee?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I still have no idea where they are going to come up with 20% more parking spaces.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Considering that many hipsters drive small cars, you could probably reduce the size of the parking spaces.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I never would have guessed that intersection design and traffic control devies were integral parts of Dundee's history that had to be preserved. With the amount of traffic 50th and Underwood gets, a roundabout would a good alternative to the traffic signals or going to a 4 way stop.

Proposed traffic roundabout at 50th, Underwood not finding fans in Dundee

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121023/NEWS/710239947
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

jessep28 wrote:I never would have guessed that intersection design and traffic control devies were integral parts of Dundee's history that had to be preserved. With the amount of traffic 50th and Underwood gets, a roundabout would a good alternative to the traffic signals or going to a 4 way stop.

Proposed traffic roundabout at 50th, Underwood not finding fans in Dundee

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121023/NEWS/710239947
Its an interesting problem of engineers wanting too much to move traffic and a neighborhood wanting what they want without any regard to the impacts afterward.  I suspect it will work out in any event but its quite a debate.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It looks like those plans have quickly been scraped:

Dundee intersection will change, but no roundabout
Erin Golden / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A controversial plan to install a roundabout in the heart of Dundee's business district has been scrapped.

In a meeting Tuesday, Mayor Jim Suttle, public works officials and city council members agreed to a plan that will use traffic lights in a revamped intersection at 50th Street and Underwood Avenue.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Seriously! What is the big deal! How could this have detracted from your precious Dundee? Get off it people.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

MTO wrote:Seriously! What is the big deal! How could this have detracted from your precious Dundee? Get off it people.
Sometimes I wonder if the $2.5 million they're spending for the renovations would be better utilized enclosing Dundee in a plexiglass bubble.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That article also said where the new parking is going to be.  They want to tear down the awesome trees  :evil:.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:That article also said where the new parking is going to be.  They want to tear down the awesome trees  :evil:.
They should have opted to tear down the historic gas station built in 1999 on 50th and Underwood for parking
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Couldn't stop a CVS but they did a teensy-little traffic circle. Sometimes the |expletive| people react to and how....
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I like the idea of the streetscape improvements of this project.  Losing the trees would be a damn shame, they are just as historic as anything else Dundee has to offer I am surprised there hasn't been more opposition to that yet.

Roundabout is whatever, I am fine either way.  It wouldn't of ruined the neighborhood at all, but I don't think it would of added anything much either.

All this project is going to be is makeup though, it isn't going to drive any new development.  What they should of done is figure out a way to put a parking garage with street level retail on the lot next to KGOR.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I like the idea of the streetscape improvements of this project.  Losing the trees would be a darn shame, they are just as historic as anything else Dundee has to offer I am surprised there hasn't been more opposition to that yet.

Roundabout is whatever, I am fine either way.  It wouldn't of ruined the neighborhood at all, but I don't think it would of added anything much either.
I agree.  the roundabout isn't going to change much either way.  However it might be one of the smallest roundabouts I have ever seen...

iamjacobm wrote:All this project is going to be is makeup though, it isn't going to drive any new development.  What they should of done is figure out a way to put a parking garage with street level retail on the lot next to KGOR.
Not only that building but the Pizza Hut building too.  Pull that up to the street more and put parking on the roof.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dundee residents protest plan to cut down 22 trees for biz improvement project

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130411/N ... nt-project
Nancy Gaarder WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote: As early as Friday, crews will begin cutting down 22 trees to make way for a $2.5 million Dundee business district improvement plan.

The trees, which include silver maples and locusts, are in the public right-of-way of Underwood Avenue from 49th to 51st Streets.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Snarky, I admit.

But the people in Dundee seem to always have their hands in the till of the city and the rest of us seem to have to sacrifice for them all the time.   In a way, them losing the trees, while sad for me as a tree fan, seems a just contribution for the people in that area that seem to get more than their fair share of the city treasure.

After all, what does the neighborhood between Dodge and Cuming just to their west get?   What does their neighbors to the north get?   Dundee gets money poured all over them, but the Joslyn castle area and the area between Saddlecreek and Cathedral, and the Clifton Hill/St. James Lake neighborhood, what do they get?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:Snarky, I admit.

But the people in Dundee seem to always have their hands in the till of the city and the rest of us seem to have to sacrifice for them all the time.   In a way, them losing the trees, while sad for me as a tree fan, seems a just contribution for the people in that area that seem to get more than their fair share of the city treasure.

After all, what does the neighborhood between Dodge and Cuming just to their west get?   What does their neighbors to the north get?   Dundee gets money poured all over them, but the Joslyn castle area and the area between Saddlecreek and Cathedral, and the Clifton Hill/St. James Lake neighborhood, what do they get?
What?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin5 wrote:

ramps"
What?
I think he's saying that Dundee recieves a disproportionate amount of tax dollars in comparison to its surrounding area.

"It's called reading - top to bottom, left to right. A group of words is a sentence, and take tylenol for any headaches, midol for any cramps"
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

ramps"
What?
I think he's saying that Dundee recieves a disproportionate amount of tax dollars in comparison to its surrounding area.

"It's called reading - top to bottom, left to right. A group of words is a sentence, and take tylenol for any headaches, midol for any cramps"
That's how I understood it as well.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

ramps"
What?

It's also a neighborhood which attracts a lot of people, much more than surrounding areas in town, and should be a place we make sure to upkeep.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

ramps"
What?

Finger on nose.  :yes:

Sorry, but Dundee gets more than it's share and now is getting even more.

If Omaha was REALLY interested in urban redevelopment and in fill, then maybe the city should push some of it's redevelopment money into Bemis Park, Clifton Hill, "North of Gallagher Park", Florence, 16th to 24th and Vinton, Bancroft School area, the area around St Francis Cabrini.   Maybe  we could get some interest in these neighborhoods?  

Just sayin...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

If I were the Dundee business community I would push for a parking structure on the surface lot next to KFAB. They're expensive, but a lot of suburbs here in Chicago use them to attract customers to their downtown areas. Below is an example from Elmhurst which has a really nice downtown area of about 75% local shops. The parking structure incorporates ground floor retail with an aesthetically pleasing brick finish. Granted it's a little tucked away from the main street (which is to the right/west), which would be harder to do in Dundee.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=elmhurst ... 1,,0,-2.95
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:If I were the Dundee business community I would push for a parking structure on the surface lot next to KFAB. They're expensive, but a lot of suburbs here in Chicago use them to attract customers to their downtown areas. Below is an example from Elmhurst which has a really nice downtown area of about 75% local shops. The parking structure incorporates ground floor retail with an aesthetically pleasing brick finish. Granted it's a little tucked away from the main street (which is to the right/west), which would be harder to do in Dundee.

Maybe the historic 1990's era gas station on 50th and Underwood would be a better spot?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:If I were the Dundee business community I would push for a parking structure on the surface lot next to KFAB. They're expensive, but a lot of suburbs here in Chicago use them to attract customers to their downtown areas. Below is an example from Elmhurst which has a really nice downtown area of about 75% local shops. The parking structure incorporates ground floor retail with an aesthetically pleasing brick finish. Granted it's a little tucked away from the main street (which is to the right/west), which would be harder to do in Dundee.

Maybe the historic 1990's era gas station on 50th and Underwood would be a better spot?
That would be a nice place to replace as well.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

bigredmed wrote:
S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

ramps"
What?

Finger on nose.  :yes:

Sorry, but Dundee gets more than it's share and now is getting even more.

If Omaha was REALLY interested in urban redevelopment and in fill, then maybe the city should push some of it's redevelopment money into Bemis Park, Clifton Hill, "North of Gallagher Park", Florence, 16th to 24th and Vinton, Bancroft School area, the area around St Francis Cabrini.   Maybe  we could get some interest in these neighborhoods?  

Just sayin...
Hey, I was agreeing with you, buddy.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

I drove through Dundee the other day and noticed the big red hearts and the x's .... I don't see the point to remove all those trees...and in the article part of the reasoning was the health of the trees? There are some newer, smaller trees marked as well. And one of the main people commenting for the removal is one of the business owners who would benefit from more parking... just another example how corporate america wins over everything else as usual. I don't see the point to improving dundee when it's in such great shape already, IMO. Benson isn't as in shape as Dundee... I can see how people would want to fight the tree removal. I can imagine with all the added parking how much of a mess it will be to drive through the area when this is completed. I usually take that way because I know I can't take a left on dodge to get home and I live near Joslyn Castle.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The trees are a huge part of Dundee, the entire neighborhood.  I understand that giant 100 year old ones need to go to protect the buildings, but there are way to many examples in the area where a gorgeous tree gets cut down to a stump and nothing goes up to replace it.  The pace we take down trees in Dundee could lead to a much less attractive area for our next generation.

I do understand that they will replant even more than they tear out, my comment is more an indictment on the entirety of the neighborhood.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

As evidenced by my username I have some bias in this argument :lol:

But honestly this whole thing is ridiculous.

1.  I never like it when anyplace removes trees, they make an environment much healthier and safer and more inviting.
2.  They are replanting more trees than they are taking out.
3.  It takes putting a red X on a tree for people to pay attention to decisions in their own neighborhood with its own newsletter, business group, and neighborhood association.
4.  People do not go to places because they have attractive sidewalks. They go to places because they are vibrant and fun and have things to enjoy.

The main things that would actually improve Dundee are having a building on the NW corner of Underwood & 50th and next to KFAB.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't like when trees are removed either.   However, most of what they are tearing out are Silver Maples...  Junk trees.

I would be really excited if the city cut down the Silver Maple in front of my house.  Then I could go out and get a nice tree!
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I have 2 silver maples in my front yard that were planted probably not too long after my house was built (1922). I know they are |expletive| trees, but my street would be pretty bare if we took out the silver maples and pretty much destroy the reason I wanted to live in Dundee. Old house and mature trees.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Honest question here: What makes a silver maple a |expletive| tree?

I'm certainly no arborist, but having apparently grown up around silver maples I don't see what's particularly bad about them. They seem to grow to a nice height and have a good number of leaves.

Also 2nd question: Are you not allowed to cut down the tree on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street yourself? Or does that fall under the city's purview?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Dundeemaha wrote:Honest question here: What makes a silver maple a |expletive| tree?

I'm certainly no arborist, but having apparently grown up around silver maples I don't see what's particularly bad about them. They seem to grow to a nice height and have a good number of leaves.

Also 2nd question: Are you not allowed to cut down the tree on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street yourself? Or does that fall under the city's purview?
The silver maple is often planted as an ornamental tree because of its rapid growth and ease of propagation and transplanting. It is highly tolerant of urban situations, which is why it is frequently planted next to streets. But it has brittle wood, and is commonly damaged in storms. The roots are shallow and fibrous and easily invade septic fields and old drain pipes and can also crack sidewalks and foundations. It is a vigorous resprouter, and if not pruned, it will often grow with multiple trunks. Although it naturally is found near water, it can grow on drier ground if planted there

From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_maple

I'm not picky when it comes to trees, but I wouldn't want one of these near my house...

As for you second question, I'm afraid I can't answer that one. My guess is that it depends on if the city is the one who put it there. I would probably just cover my |expletive| by calling the city to be safe.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

still drive through dundee and it looks like a blighted side of town now... no trees...no character...and loose pavement/brick... looks awful at this point... I could imagine how hot it will be in summer with absolutely no shade... They better spend extra and bring in mature trees to plant otherwise I believe this project to be a bust IMO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was surprised when I went to KFAB this morning how bad the streets and sidewalks got this winter.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:I was surprised when I went to KFAB this morning how bad the streets and sidewalks got this winter.
Are you talking about normal winter street damage. I read that the city is like two weeks behind on road repair because of the recent rain and snow.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:I was surprised when I went to KFAB this morning how bad the streets and sidewalks got this winter.
Are you talking about normal winter street damage. I read that the city is like two weeks behind on road repair because of the recent rain and snow.
It looked worse than normal... May be cause usually when I am there, the cars are blocking so many spots, you don't notice it as much.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lane restrictions for the next 6 months.  I guess I didn't realize they're were going to tear out the entire sidewalks and parking stalls and start from scratch.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Lane restrictions for the next 6 months.  I guess I didn't realize they're were going to tear out the entire sidewalks and parking stalls and start from scratch.
I hope they are coordinating this with the CSO project and any other utility work MUD needs to do...
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Lane restrictions for the next 6 months.  I guess I didn't realize they're were going to tear out the entire sidewalks and parking stalls and start from scratch.
I hope they are coordinating this with the CSO project and any other utility work MUD needs to do...
MUD specs dictate that they only cut into new pavement.  Its easier on thier equipment.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:MUD specs dictate that they only cut into new pavement.  Its easier on thier equipment.
Lol!
Thadco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Thadco »

Has the Agave at 5013 Underwood found any new owners?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Thadco wrote:Has the Agave at 5013 Underwood found any new owners?

I thought I heard Dario is opening up an Italian resturant there.