A redesign for Dundee?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

A redesign for Dundee?

Post by Brad »

A redesign for Dundee?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091022/NEWS01/710229922
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Downtown Dundee, already a thriving neighborhood business district, is in line for a makeover.

Dundee businesses and City Councilman Pete Festersen are working on a plan to dress up the sidewalks along Underwood Avenue with new brick décor, benches, landscaping and traditional light posts.

The plan also would increase parking, a long-standing problem for area businesses. And it would do away with the traffic light at 50th Street and Underwood Avenue, installing a four-way stop in an effort to slow traffic.

Dundee already is the envy of other older neighborhood business districts. But with the City of Omaha's new focus on strong urban design, a remade Dundee could become the model for other “streetscape” projects in such places as Benson and Florence.

Today, the plans will go before the city's new Urban Design Review Board, which will weigh in on the concepts.

Supporters say the project would make the popular district more appealing for businesses and patrons.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is an RDG Rendering
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I certainly think this is a good thing for Dundee, but not very impressive to say the least.

The truth is, Dundee is NOT very pedestrian friendly (well, it is compared to much of Omaha), it just happens to have a lot o pedestrians! The addition of benches, public "art", etc. will go a long way to help Dundee live up to its reputation.

I think this is mainly a response to the "Village Pointes" of the world; i.e. adding new diagonal parking so people can park right in front of their destination and not have to walk more than 10 feet, adding decorative street lamps, etc.

The diagonal parking DOES calm traffic, as will the four-way stop.

A glaring disappointment in this rendering is that it's done by RDG, the firm who put together the initial 20-mile on-street bike system and is working with the City to implement it, and they somehow didn't include the bike right-of-way that their own plan calls for...  :what: Their map shows a connector route traveling through Dundee on Underwood Avenue between r8th Street and the Happy Hollow route, as well as a connector up and down 51st Street connecting to the Benson route to the north and the Aksarben route to the south.

Yet this rendering just shows two lanes of car traffic with diagonal parking.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I have to wonder about stop signs...

50th street and Underwood both get a decent amount of traffic. I can see traffic getting backed up frequently with just stop signs instead of a light.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:I have to wonder about stop signs...

50th street and Underwood both get a decent amount of traffic. I can see traffic getting backed up frequently with just stop signs instead of a light.
That might make people choose a different direction, helping the ped friendly approach.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Unfortunately for the motorist (too bad), traffic backups causing slow auto-movement are one of the factors which help create a safer atmosphere for pedestrians, and actually increases the intangible, "vibrant" feeling of a neighborhood.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It looks like a good, modest plan that will help enhance an already vibrant neighborhood. The area just needs a little sprucing up.

The 4-way stop idea at 50th & Underwood might help ease taking left turns at the intersection. The way it is now with the stoplight, left turns are banned in some directions since they would back-up traffic too much without room for turn lanes. I think the 4-way could alleviate that problem. On the other hand, I can see Underwood getting backed-up enough to make getting in and out of the diagonal stalls close to the intersection problematic. 4-ways work pretty smoothly at Country Club/Blondo, 52nd / Blondo, and 60th / Blondo. But the 4-way further west at Underwood and Fair Acres Rd. gets really backed-up on Underwood during rush hour. Maybe they can move the old Dundee light out there, and have it activated only when someone wants to leave Fair Acres Rd. 4-ways definitely help calm/slow traffic though, which should be/is a priority in that neighborhood.

It looks like they're not really adding much more diagonal parking since they already have it on both sides of Underwood from 51st to 49 1/2.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

A four-way stop at 50th and Underwood is a great idea.  Think of how much traffic goes through 11th & Howard at peak hours, and there's 1000 times the amount of pedestrian traffic slowing that down.
Stable genius.
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

I like this development and all, but I have two problems. As someone who lives a block from this intersection, I have a feeling that the money going into this could be better spent elsewhere. Dundee isn't struggling and I don't think it needs a makeover that badly. I at least hope this is entirely privately funded. The other issue is that, I don't want a four-way stop. I use this intersection to get to work and I'd like to continue straight to my destination rather than being confined to side-streets if traffic backs up.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I can see why the stop signs are a good idea for pedestrians. It should make it a little safer there are a lot of kids in the area. People drive way to fast when there is a green light and everyone turns left on 50th anyway. But the old town is already doing great this is not that necessary I would rather see something else like more businesses. I know if you walk a little bit from the corner the sidewalks start to get dumpy they can work on that.

Oh and get rid of that gas station too.
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The gas station AND the parking lot across 50th to the west should BOTH be redeveloped with infill development.

Anyway, I'd say this is a prime example of something that could be (should have been?) accomplished by a "Dundee Improvement District" similar to what is floundering Downtown. Since this is PURELY an aesthetic upgrade, with a pretense of pedestrian friendly improvements, I think it should be paid in full by local businesses (and residents?) who will directly benefit from it.
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

I just feel the whole thing should be scrapped, or we should rename the street "16th" and go ahead killing the place off with development.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The plan sounds good to me except I would keep the light and sell the lot on the northwest corner for infill.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I find it interesting that their solution to making something pedestrian friendly is to get rid of the stoplight. Many times I've had cars almost at my knees crossing the intersections in the old market without stoplights- at least with a stoplight, a pedestrian gets a designated time to cross. In some places (not in Omaha), I've seen intersections where the pedestrians get an equal amount of time to cross the street as the cars get to go- meaning all of the lights are red, and there is no turn on red, while the pedestrians have a chance to go.

I also think this tax money could go to another area more in need- Dundee is already thriving, use the money in an area that actually needs improvement, or lower taxes.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

RegisResident wrote:I also think this tax money could go to another area more in need- Dundee is already thriving.
I agree. If Dundee wants to make these improvements, they should create their own improvement district.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I couldn't find another place to put this so here seemed the best, but I would really like to seem the city install countdown crosswalk signals on 50th and Underwood.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

... preferably with chirping for the blind.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

My one suggestion for a major Dundee improvement (that won't happen) is someone offering crazy money to Creighton to buy that parking lot and build on it.  Does anybody know what was there before the parking lot?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Why Creighton? What would they build?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Why Creighton? What would they build?
Doesn't the med clinic own the lot?
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

Linkin5 wrote: Does anybody know what was there before the parking lot?
there wasn't anything there I don't think. It's been a parking lot in every photo and painting of the intersection that I've ever seen. The building has been re-purposed a LOT over the years, but the lot has been there that whole time from what I can tell.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

At first I questioned the idea of stop signs, but after living on this intersection for over a year I'd love to see them. If the traffic were cut down the area itself would become even more pedestrian oriented (I think).

I wish they could replace the gas station and the current Creighton clinic with better developments.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ShawJ wrote:At first I questioned the idea of stop signs, but after living on this intersection for over a year I'd love to see them. If the traffic were cut down the area itself would become even more pedestrian oriented (I think).

I wish they could replace the gas station and the current Creighton clinic with better developments.
Stop signs would certainly drive people away from the intersection(I would avoid it at least), but do all the neighborhood streets just get busier instead?

The gas station I agree could stand to leave, that may drive some traffic away also.  I do like how it isn't all bars and restaurants though.  The med clinic and KFAB among others give the area good use all day long.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dundee face-lift closer to reality

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120105/M ... to-reality
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Downtown Dundee would be closer to a makeover if the city approves a plan to create a new business improvement district for the area.

Dundee merchants have developed plans for a $2.5 million project to increase parking and improve sidewalks with brick pavers, benches and landscaping.

Organizers have raised about $2 million toward the project, said Councilman Pete Festersen, who represents the area. With the new business district in place, Dundee merchants would contribute $29,000 toward the capital improvements.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Dundee makeover plan praised

By Juan Perez Jr.
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120126/N ... an-praised

Omaha civic and community leaders gathered at a Dundee pizzeria Thursday morning to praise plans to make over the historic neighborhood's business district.
Officials need to secure approximately $600,000 to complete funding for the roughly $2.5 million project, but Mayor Jim Suttle said the city plans to have that money in place by fall.

A construction engineer and designer for the project will be selected by June, Suttle said, with construction scheduled to begin in 2013.

"We're going to stick with that (schedule) so we can make this dream a reality," Suttle said during a press conference at Pitch.

City Council members Pete Festersen and Chris Jerram also praised the project's expected ability to improve the neighborhood.

Dundee merchants developed plans for the project. It will increase parking and improve sidewalks with brick pavers, benches and landscaping.

Dundee merchants would contribute $29,000 toward the capital improvements.

The area has an existing business improvement district, which already charges area businesses fees that help fund flower baskets, holiday lights and snow removal.

A new business district -- already endorsed by the city's Planning Board and awaiting City Council approval -- would expand the boundaries to allow for capital improvements on Underwood Avenue between 49th and 51st Streets and for about 1½ blocks along 50th Street.

The street and sidewalk project has been in the works for about four years, and area leaders say the improvement district proposal enjoys strong support among Dundee businesses.

"Omaha is a city that works together, and you're seeing that today," Suttle said. "This is the way we get things done and make our city even better."

The city has earmarked $550,000 in bond funds for the project — $50,000 for 2012 that will pay for engineering costs and $500,000 to support construction next year.

The $29,000 payment from Dundee businesses will provide the necessary neighborhood commitment to match a $500,000 grant from the Peter Kiewit Foundation.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Changes In Store For Dundee
City Hopes To Increase Parking Spaces By 20 Percent

KETV wrote:"For many years, we prioritized vehicles over people. And I think across the nation, we're seeing a difference of prioritizing the people first and then the cars," said Jed Moulton, the city's manager of urban design. Moulton said city leaders want to maintain Dundee's character while adding to its streetscape, sidewalks and landscape. The city has raised $1.9 million through transportation bonds, grants and private donations. Leaders plan to raise a total of $2.5 million total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My wish list for Dundee include:
1. Remove the gas station on the Corner and replace it was a 2 story live work space for small business where they could have a shop in the ground level and live above it.  The new building needs to be move out to the street with angled on street parking in the front.
2.  Remove the pizza-hut strip mall on the west end of the strip and again replace it will an appropriate building the is near the street.
3.  Remove the KFAB parking lot replace it with a parking garage with street level retail.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:My wish list for Dundee include:
1. Remove the gas station on the Corner and replace it was a 2 story live work space for small business where they could have a shop in the ground level and live above it.  The new building needs to be move out to the street with angled on street parking in the front.
2.  Remove the pizza-hut strip mall on the west end of the strip and again replace it will an appropriate building the is near the street.
3.  Remove the KFAB parking lot replace it with a parking garage with street level retail.
Agree on all three. I'd also add that I wish the building on the NW side of 50th and Underwood (Creighton pharmacy?) would have a different tenant.

As far as the actual plans, I'm excited about stop signs at the intersection. I'll finally be able to turn left at that intersection!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:I'd also add that I wish the building on the NW side of 50th and Underwood (Creighton pharmacy?) would have a different tenant.
I thought it was a Doctor's Office, which helps the whole neighborhood concept.  However I would much rather have the hardware sore or grocery store there like in the past.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ShawJ wrote:
Brad wrote:My wish list for Dundee include:
Agree on all three. I'd also add that I wish the building on the NW side of 50th and Underwood (Creighton pharmacy?) would have a different tenant.

As far as the actual plans, I'm excited about stop signs at the intersection. I'll finally be able to turn left at that intersection!
I wish that parking lot Creighton owns would be built on.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Dundee set for its makeover

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120620/N ... s-makeover
Kirby Kaufman, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Renovations to the Dundee business district will begin next spring to increase parking and improve sidewalks with brick pavers, benches and landscaping.

Officials announced Wednesday that the City of Omaha and Dundee neighborhood merchants secured funding from private donors needed to begin the $2.5 million project.
Fairmount
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fairmount »

The proposed improvements puzzle me. On the left of the picture/illustration we see an existing brick building, brimming with vintage character and charm. On the "improved" side of the rendering we see a modern looking gas station and a featureless contemporary building in the background with a stereotypical swirling flame sculpture in front of it. The two just don't jive.

Dundee is an area known and admired for its historical charm. I don't know if that bland-looking building in the background is already there or not, but if so it ought to be refaced to reflect the ambience of the area. And the cheesy-looking modern sculpture looks totally out of place.

It's a matter of good judgment and taste. Unfortunately, that's something which seems to be lacking in some of the projects being fast-tracked around Omaha these days.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'd bet that the elements in the rendering you're talking about are stock items.  I agree that new structures in Dundee would fit in better if they were a more traditional style.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure what you are getting at there.  All the buildings in the rendering already exist.  Really the only new parts are the flowers, brick sidewalk/street improvements and the random sculpture.  

The "modern" gas station

The "featureless contemporary" building

I think Dundee's popularity has a lot more to do with it's quality businesses and strong neighborhood connections than it's historic buildings.
Fairmount
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fairmount »

The artist rendering of the gas station does not show the traffic light. Did they just conveniently remove it because it doesn't make the picture look good?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Fairmount wrote:The artist rendering of the gas station does not show the traffic light. Did they just conveniently remove it because it doesn't make the picture look good?
I think they are planning stop signs, at least they were when it was announced.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:
Fairmount wrote:The artist rendering of the gas station does not show the traffic light. Did they just conveniently remove it because it doesn't make the picture look good?
I think they are planning stop signs, at least they were when it was announced.
Yeah, they're going to change it to a four-way stop.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Oh, that will be *fantastic*....   :sarcasm:
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

almighty_tuna wrote:Oh, that will be *fantastic*....   :sarcasm:
:lafcry:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Public input sought on Dundee renovations

In the video, it sounded like the traffic engineers will be recommending that the traffic lights remain.

And I guess the $2.5 million need for the project has already been raised and they are hoping to begin construction in 2013.

There's a public hearing tonight at 6 pm at the Holland Basham Building at 49th and Farnam.