A redesign for Dundee?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thadco wrote:Has the Agave at 5013 Underwood found any new owners?
Thadco, check out this thread:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... ight=agave
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dundee is tore up!  I should have had my camera when I was up there tonight!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Dundee is tore up!  I should have had my camera when I was up there tonight!
You mean Underwood - or more than that?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Dundee is tore up!  I should have had my camera when I was up there tonight!
You mean Underwood - or more than that?
Underwood.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I've driven through there a couple times within the past week or so. It's a mess.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It is still a mess but it's just starting to look like they've accomplished something. And I don't think it's a big of a p-i-t-a as much as many others I know do. Soon this and Benson will be done and we all can enjoy them for years to come.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So far looks alright.  I assume asphalt is cheeper and easier, but if they were going to have the streets all torn up anyways I wish they would of paved the entire thing concrete.  Also I don't understand why they put the standard silver street lights up instead of the black ones that are downtown, makes no sense to me.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I was really hoping that they would brick all of the sidewalks, and frankly, at least the street intersection.  And are they going to reinstall the big clock that has graced the corner for years?  It was gone on Friday when we walked around.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:So far looks alright.  I assume asphalt is cheeper and easier, but if they were going to have the streets all torn up anyways I wish they would of paved the entire thing concrete.  Also I don't understand why they put the standard silver street lights up instead of the black ones that are downtown, makes no sense to me.
nativeomahan wrote:I was really hoping that they would brick all of the sidewalks, and frankly, at least the street intersection.  And are they going to reinstall the big clock that has graced the corner for years?  It was gone on Friday when we walked around.
Interesting... I Wold have expected all of those things!  Are the streetlights interchangeable?  Like if the new kinds were back-ordered, can they easily switch them out in the future?
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

the streetlights are black. The light covers are temporary until they get the classic Dundee globes in. They are auctioning off some old street lights that look like the classic Dundee lights (as is). Info is on the DMPA facebook page.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

lisanstan wrote:the streetlights are black. The light covers are temporary until they get the classic Dundee globes in. They are auctioning off some old street lights that look like the classic Dundee lights (as is). Info is on the DMPA facebook page.
Stop lights I meant in my earlier post.  Those were silver when I was in Dundee last week.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

The new sidewalks and retaining walls look really nice on Dodge from about 51st Ave to 52nd street.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote:I was really hoping that they would brick all of the sidewalks, and frankly, at least the street intersection.  And are they going to reinstall the big clock that has graced the corner for years?  It was gone on Friday when we walked around.
The clock is back up now.  Not sure how long it has been there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
The clock is back up now.  Not sure how long it has been there.
Very good! Thanks!
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: A redesign for Dundee?

Post by iamjacobm »

There is a request to change the zoning of the house directly east of Great Harvest to NBD. Looks like another candidate for house to commercial.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Is Great Harvest still open? We drove down Underwood last Saturday and we don't see their sign.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:Is Great Harvest still open?  We drove down Underwood last Saturday and we don't see their sign.
As far as I know the Dundee Great Harvest is still open...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

4908 Underwood is going to be converted into a real estate office. I wonder how many of these houses along Underwood will be converted into businesses.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Interestly enough, 4908 Underwood was previously owned by Sarah Baker Hansen.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:4908 Underwood is going to be converted into a real estate office. I wonder how many of these houses along Underwood will be converted into businesses.
I wish it was more active than an office space. Dundee will never be as busy as Rainey Street in Austin, but that was an entire street filled with homes converted into bars and restaurants. I had a BLAST there earlier this summer. Something cool about walking in the front door of a house and seeing a bar with a ton of taps where a living room used to be.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Small steps. MLK in Austin also had a few places that converted houses with courtyards into nice restaurants.
I wish I remembered many of those places from loving there 20 years ago... And had a good camera back then...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Small steps. MLK in Austin also had a few places that converted houses with courtyards into nice restaurants.
I wish I remembered many of those places from loving there 20 years ago... And had a good camera back then...
I meant it more as the NIMBY's in Dundee will never let Underwood get that crazy with nightlife.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:Small steps. MLK in Austin also had a few places that converted houses with courtyards into nice restaurants.
I meant it more as the NIMBY's in Dundee will never let Underwood get that crazy with nightlife.
Didn't think about that. But now that I do... Does Dundee actually have a nightlife?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That stretch of Dodge Street from 51st to 50 seconds with all the new brick retaining walls looks really nice.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I wish developers would focus on Dodge from Saddle Creek to 48th.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Old Dundee bar on Dodge has been getting a new brick facade these past few days.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

obd to celebrate park(ing) day in dundee sept. 19
Omaha by Design wrote:If you’re in Dundee Friday, Sept. 19, you are cordially invited to stop by the neighborhood’s newest “green space” at 50th and Underwood. Omaha by Design, in conjunction with The French Bulldog, will be transforming a parking stall into a chill zone/outdoor café for the afternoon in conjunction with the 2014 edition of PARK(ing) Day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dundee is losing a great tenant:
Dundee Gallery wrote:Hello Omaha,

It’s been eight years since that first day I flipped my window sign to OPEN.
Eight years of promoting amazing local artists, giving them a voice and a place to sell their work.
Eight years of life alongside an incredible group of Dundee business owners.
Eight years of being in the thick of the Omaha arts community.
Eight years of serving kind and loyal customers.
Eight years of watching your kids and puppies and neighborhoods grow up.
Eight years of filling your new or remodeled or cherished old homes with art.
Eight years of being a passionate and committed business owner.

And now it is time to move on. December 31, I will flip the sign to CLOSED for the last time. As you can imagine this has been one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever made. I appreciate your sensitivity as I walk through the coming months – and ask for your understanding as it may be difficult for me to talk about it.

I am taking with me eight years of precious memories – and a deep sense of gratitude for all of the shows and artwork and beautiful experiences that I’ve been able to share with you during the lifetime of Dundee Gallery. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It will be business as usual here all the way up until closing day. My team and I are currently focused on hosting the best holiday season in the history of Dundee Gallery. More than 70 artists will be showcased in the gallery throughout the holidays. New items are coming in daily: artwork, jewelry, ceramics, holiday cards and decorations and more. We’re chock full of beauty and hope you’ll include us in your holiday shopping – we’d love to see you here throughout the season.

See you soon!
Jean Imray
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Truly sad. I loved this place. Wishing the owner the best and hoping something as worthy replaces the space.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Neighborhood pushing to turn 51st and Underwood into a 4 way stop in order to slow traffic down before they get into the district.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Only if they can get the south east corner developed.
15-17, 26, 32
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The city could put a traffic circle in, but then Dundee would bit*h that it would blight the neighborhood.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

jessep28 wrote:The city could put a traffic circle in, but then Dundee would bit*h that it would blight the neighborhood.
Well, I mean, a traffic circle is meant to keep the traffic at a somewhat static speed and they are trying to slow down the traffic, so that would be counterproductive in that sense.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Louie wrote:
jessep28 wrote:The city could put a traffic circle in, but then Dundee would bit*h that it would blight the neighborhood.
Well, I mean, a traffic circle is meant to keep the traffic at a somewhat static speed and they are trying to slow down the traffic, so that would be counterproductive in that sense.
Dundeeans would b*tch that it was not paved using fair traded cement made from recycled concrete. They would not B*tch about a new road, they would accept the city's money as their due.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Probably just |expletive| about how instead of a walkable, lively business district they have cars driving quickly non stop through what once was a walkable lively business district.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Dundeemaha wrote:Probably just |expletive| about how instead of a walkable, lively business district they have cars driving quickly non stop through what once was a walkable lively business district.
I never notice cars going through the intersection very fast because there is always someone pulling in or out of a parking spot on the east side of the intersection. A four way stop there would make my commute home much worse, I really hope they just leave the intersection alone.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I'm all for leaving it alone, I'd just hate to see it turned in to a traffic circle.